Old April 20, 2003, 13:40   #1
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 01:59
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Ghost Units/Armies
You might already played with the cheat editor a little bit, you might have noticed that you find ghost units/armies sometimes. Units/Armies that appear on a certain location but if you click on the quare there then you notice that the unit/army is actual not there, finally you might find out that the unit/army exists but has another location then the game displays it.

Here is an example, I started a fresh game with Turks without any mods, then I switched via the cheat editor to player 0 the Barbarians and left the game running for 500 turns. The AI had the controll over player 1 for 500 turns. On the picture below you can see 3 of these ghosts:

East of Ankara you see a unit that is obviously grouped, but you can't see the size of the stack, if you take a closer look on it with the unit and searches for such units located in the field you find the actual position of the stack one tile North of it displayed position.

But it is possible that the difference between displayed position and actual position and larger then one tile. Take the stack South-West of Ankara, it looks like Ankara was build on the top of the units, its actual position is West of Adana.

And now we are comming to Adana you see a fortified stack on the city, actual if a stack is fortified at a city's location the stack wouldn't be displayed if it is not selected. So you guess its actual position is somewhere else: North-West of Gaziantep.

Well I could now use the cheat editor and take a look on other civs and also there there are these ghost units/armies.

So we see that this phenominon is not mod specific, we have it even in unmodded CTP2. Obviously the displayed position is not necessarily updated when an AI moves an army. In mods like Cradle and GoodMod we just see this phenomenon more often, but that is no wonder if we consider that in these mods are much more AI armies on the map then in the unmodded game. The more armies the higher the change we see this phenominon.

So far as I can see it this phenominon seems to be harmless, but this is not proven. But that is not valid if your ghost unit unit seems to be a 13th on that tile and if you try to select it the game crashs

-Martin
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ghostunits.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	266.1 KB
ID:	42988  
Old April 20, 2003, 17:25   #2
HuangShang
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 16:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
what?? i dont understand at all
Old April 24, 2003, 05:02   #3
Gilgamensch
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 00:59
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Already had something like that, but if you reload the savegame (at least for me), everything back to normal. Actually sometimes going to the desktop and back again, worked as well for me. (Allthough, sometimes it happened after I did it.......)