Old April 21, 2003, 01:50   #1
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 14:00
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Help with depression.
Well around this time every year I start to get depressed. I don't know what it is but here's the situation.

I go to college and my college has one of the longest semesters (both fall and spring) in the US. I don't know what it is but for the past coupla years I get depressed around this time of year. I don't specifically know why and it's pretty bad. I don't eat much, slack on my school work, and don't really care what goes on around me. I don't do drugs (illegal or legal) and don't drink much during the spring semester.

My friends said that it might be because I want to graduate already cause I see other ppl graduating...but is that it?

If you guys have some suggestions on why I feel down around this time of year...or if you have any tips on how to get out of the rut, it'd help me alot.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old April 21, 2003, 01:56   #2
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 19:00
I won't even begin to try to guess what is causing your depression...

But I would recommend spending a little more time with your friends... get out, have some fun... smell the roses... And just focus on enjoying life for a little bit.

It works for me
Old April 21, 2003, 01:59   #3
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

hmmm, well...I do spend time with my friends but I don't know...it's like somethings bothering me and I just can't place it.

I know some fellow Apolytoners suffer from depression and I'd just like to know how they get over the hump.

Sorry, not b****ing, just want to find some pointers.

Thanks.
Old April 21, 2003, 02:01   #4
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 20:00
I'm pretty depressed too, but I know the cause. I'm getting buried in end of the semester work and I'm freaking out about it. Getting this far behind depresses the hell out of me.

As for getting you out of your rut, let me just say this one thing. Hawaii is the greatest football school in all of the Western Athletic Conference. They are also better than all the former WAC schools that ran away like pussies to the Mountain West in order to escape the terror that is the Warrior football squad. Especially BYU, those ****ing ***** *****es.

Hope that helps. Just remember that we only have a few weeks left.
Old April 21, 2003, 02:04   #5
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 18:00
From the sounds of it, it's nothing you should be on medication for if it's just a seasonal/temporary thing.

I don't know what you can do to help it, because nothing aside from medication has ever helped me with it.
Old April 21, 2003, 02:05   #6
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

When I am feeling down, I hop in my car, alone, roll down the windows and turn up some loud music, and fly down the highway or some back roads. Sing along, shout it out. Very cathartic, I've found. Listen to the music that reminds you of you, and let go. A temporary fix to be sure, but it helps me get back to the basics.

Also, as you are in Hawaii, you can just think about us continentals who are a thousand miles from an ocean and laugh
Old April 21, 2003, 02:05   #7
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
I'm pretty depressed too, but I know the cause. I'm getting buried in end of the semester work and I'm freaking out about it. Getting this far behind depresses the hell out of me.
(I've got to get up in 6 hours for a final I'm so not ready for)
Old April 21, 2003, 02:05   #8
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 17:00
my theory is that the brain chemistry does get a little screwed up. You can fix them with drugs, or just do something drastic to jump start your system.

I find near death experiences are best for this.
Old April 21, 2003, 02:07   #9
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
(I've got to get up in 6 hours for a final I'm so not ready for)
Sorry. I have a Japanese test in seven hours that I haven't studied for yet, so I know the feeling.
Old April 21, 2003, 02:16   #10
Frankychan
King

Thanks, Drake!

hmmmm, maybe it's just end-of-the-semester stress....but I don't get depressed after the fall semester. *shrug*

thanks guys, really making me think about this rut i'm in.
Old April 21, 2003, 02:28   #11
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Local Time: 01:00
Local Date: November 2, 2010
If you lived in higher latitude I'd say it was textbook SADS. It's grim in early spring when your serotonin levels are still low and you've just come through a long, dark winter.

But if your location field is accurate I doubt it's that. Could be stress.
Old April 21, 2003, 02:39   #12
Frankychan
King

SADS? What's that?

and my location field is correct, I live in Hawaii...Honolulu.
Old April 21, 2003, 02:40   #13
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Frankychan
SADS? What's that?

and my location field is correct, I live in Hawaii...Honolulu.
I should hope he means SAD rather than SADS.

SAD is Seasonal Affective Disorder.
Old April 21, 2003, 02:47   #14
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Local Time: 01:00
AKA "Seasonally Affective Depressive Syndrome".
Old April 21, 2003, 02:48   #15
Frankychan
King

thanks.
Old April 21, 2003, 03:29   #16
Static Universe
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Frankychan
hmmm, well...I do spend time with my friends but I don't know...it's like somethings bothering me and I just can't place it.
I've had this feeling my whole life. Trust me, if your friends want to do something, just do it. Once you're out with them, you'll forget all about what's bothering you, which usually isn't worth all the worry in the first place.

Don't get in the habit of not doing stuff, as it gets easier and easier to just stay in by yourself, brooding over your problems.

It may not be the easiest road to take sometimes, but it certainly better than nothing.
Old April 21, 2003, 04:29   #17
red_jon
NationStates
King

Local Time: 00:00
I've known a few people IRL who have suffered from severe depression, yet I still don't really have an answer for how to help it.

I guess try and focus on short-term things that you're looking forward to.
Old April 21, 2003, 08:52   #18
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
AKA "Seasonally Affective Depressive Syndrome".
SADS stands for something else more commonly where I'm from...a fatal syndrome in fact.
Old April 21, 2003, 10:06   #19
Zkribbler
Deity

Local Time: 17:00
Many years ago, I suffered from prolonged bouts of depression, sometimes lasting up to a month.

I found the best way to snap out of it (at least in the short run) was physical activity--a mile walk usually did it. Sitting around thinking of your depression only deepens it.
Old April 21, 2003, 10:58   #20
Jac de Molay
Prince

Local Time: 00:00
Same here. I pretty much drank for five years straight to deal with my depression.

If I don't exercise every single day, my mind bogs down and I feel those bad moods come right back. Eating healthy, ample sleep, and meditation I've also found pretty helpful.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old April 21, 2003, 11:23   #21
Thorn
Prince

Go dellusional, it seems to have fixed my depression for the time being... I'm too focused on being the evil incarnate to have time to deal with the major kill-yourself depression that I have been suffering from for what is it now 3 years.....

It's only a matter of time before mine comes back in full swing..... I know this.... already I'm getting quite apathetic about school... sleeping for weeks on end..... and I'm dreading the isolation of the summer.....

My depression went a way in one day, something snapped or something in my mind I haven't a freaking clue how it happened.... made no rational sense, I still should be depressed its not logical that I'm not.

Wait it out I guess.... I know it sucks, but it will get better eventually.... how long it stays better is anybody's guess.... some people get over it indefinately... some never... it just depends.

Good luck.
Old April 21, 2003, 12:07   #22
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher

SADS stands for something else more commonly where I'm from...a fatal syndrome in fact.
Are you sure it's called SADS, and not SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome)?

SAD/SADS (Seasonal Affective Disorder/Seasonal Affective Disorder Syndrome) typically is a result of a lower amount of sunlight.

http://www.nmha.org/infoctr/factsheets/27.cfm

Quote:
Seasonal Affective Disorder
What is Seasonal Affective Disorder?
Some people suffer from symptoms of depression during the winter months, with symptoms subsiding during the spring and summer months. This may be a sign of Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). SAD is a mood disorder associated with depression episodes and related to seasonal variations of light.

SAD was first noted before 1845, but was not officially named until the early 1980’s. As sunlight has affected the seasonal activities of animals (i.e., reproductive cycles and hibernation), SAD may be an effect of this seasonal light variation in humans. As seasons change, there is a shift in our “biological internal clocks” or circadian rhythm, due partly to these changes in sunlight patterns. This can cause our biological clocks to be out of “step” with our daily schedules. The most difficult months for SAD sufferers are January and February, and younger persons and women are at higher risk.
Symptoms Include:

regularly occurring symptoms of depression (excessive eating and sleeping, weight gain) during the fall or winter months.
full remission from depression occur in the spring and summer months.
symptoms have occurred in the past two years, with no nonseasonal depression episodes.
seasonal episodes substantially outnumber nonseasonal depression episodes.
a craving for sugary and/or starchy foods.
Possible Cause of this Disorder
Melatonin, a sleep-related hormone secreted by the pineal gland in the brain, has been linked to SAD. This hormone, which may cause symptoms of depression, is produced at increased levels in the dark. Therefore, when the days are shorter and darker the production of this hormone increases.

Treatments
Phototherapy or bright light therapy has been shown to suppress the brain’s secretion of melatonin. Although, there have been no research findings to definitely link this therapy with an antidepressant effect, many people respond to this treatment. The device most often used today is a bank of white fluorescent lights on a metal reflector and shield with a plastic screen. For mild symptoms, spending time outdoors during the day or arranging homes and workplaces to receive more sunlight may be helpful. One study found that an hour’s walk in winter sunlight was as effective as two and a half hours under bright artificial light.

If phototherapy doesn’t work, an antidepressant drug may prove effective in reducing or eliminating SAD symptoms, but there may be unwanted side effects to consider. Discuss your symptoms thoroughly with your family doctor and/or mental health professional.

Last edited by kring; April 21, 2003 at 12:44.
Old April 21, 2003, 12:18   #23
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by kring

Are you sure it's called SADS, and not SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome)?

SAD/SADS typically is a result of a lower amount of sunlight.
No, SADS: Sudden Arrhythmia Death Syndromes
Old April 21, 2003, 13:09   #24
Q Classic
Emperor

Frank:

i'm fighting it off myself. the best way i've found how to do it without medication or much counseling is to get one of your friends to kick your ass out of bed every morning, and drag it to class.

it didn't work today, unfortunately, which resulted in me staying in bed from 7, when i woke up, to 11.30.

don't think too much outside of a regular routine.

hope yours ends soon.
Old April 23, 2003, 19:43   #25
Frankychan
King

thanks guys. You guys are giving me some good tips. I'll try the meditation and exercise (i thought i was doing enough )

I'll give you guys a heads up on my condition.