View Poll Results: Was he being reasonable?
Yeah, rules are rules. 6 25.00%
Two minutes? What a ****! 12 50.00%
You should have bought bananas. 6 25.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 21, 2003, 13:54   #31
Static Universe
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 18:00
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Pekka
Some wouldn't take passport? That's just stupid . As Tinyp3nis pointed out, they are usually the most 'respectd' IDs anywhere (well not in US I guess).
You have to understand that grocery store clerks in the US are very unlikely to have ever seen a passport, so them accepting it is probably a long shot. A laminated piece of plastic with "Driver's License" stamped on it they are quite familiar with, however.
Old April 23, 2003, 20:51   #32
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 20:00
Rules are rules.

I wouldn't risk getting fired and having a $1000 fine just because you needed to smoke.

I would have done the exact same thing as that guy did. Sorry, but life's a *****.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old April 23, 2003, 21:34   #33
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 19:00
Quote:
Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous
Happy Birthday

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Rules are rules.

I wouldn't risk getting fired and having a $1000 fine just because you needed to smoke.
You're misunderstanding my point; I'm not saying that he should have risked it, my problem is that there was no risk involved in the first place.

NO policeman would ever fine him that $1000 for selling 2 minutes early. Even if one did, he could easily have gotten out of it in court. Furthermore, no policeman would stage a sting with that kind of catch. I say that because I know cops, and because I'm currently training to be one.
Old April 23, 2003, 22:17   #34
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
You're misunderstanding my point; I'm not saying that he should have risked it, my problem is that there was no risk involved in the first place.

NO policeman would ever fine him that $1000 for selling 2 minutes early. Even if one did, he could easily have gotten out of it in court. Furthermore, no policeman would stage a sting with that kind of catch. I say that because I know cops, and because I'm currently training to be one.
Bullshit! He WOULDN'T have gotten out of it in court! It doesn't matter if it was 2 minutes or 2 years, if you SELL, you are GUILTY! It's a strict liability crime.

And he wasn't worried about the cops most likely either. Getting fired is an internal policy (at least where I worked... and they'd never hire you again as well).

Like I said, I would have done the exact same thing. I don't care what the 'risk' was. The risk did exist, no matter how much you protest that it does not.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old April 23, 2003, 22:28   #35
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Quote:

Bullshit! He WOULDN'T have gotten out of it in court! It doesn't matter if it was 2 minutes or 2 years, if you SELL, you are GUILTY!
Unless his defense is that his watch read 12:00, as was already mentioned on this thread.

Quote:
The risk did exist, no matter how much you protest that it does not.
Well how can I respond to that?
Old April 23, 2003, 22:34   #36
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

it is absurd but what is more absurd is the fact that if the man sold you the smokes he might have gotten in trouble.

Sell your photos
Old April 23, 2003, 22:47   #37
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheik
it is absurd but what is more absurd is the fact that if the man sold you the smokes he might have gotten in trouble.
Nope.
Old April 23, 2003, 22:51   #38
David Floyd
Emperor

Local Time: 00:00
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The real issue here is that we have to have this conversation in the first place. I mean, come on - the government setting age limits on who can smoke a cigarette? Jesus Christ? If the justification is that they kill you, then shouldn't they ban them for everyone?

No, "underage" (which is a misnomer anyway - underage as opposed to what?) smoking is a parenting problem, not a government problem. If the parents don't give a ****, why should the government? And before someone trots out the argument that parents are letting kids harm themselves, the same argument would hold true with allowing kids to take martial arts, play competitive sports, ride a bicycle in the street, and any number of other things. Do those things need age limits too?
Old April 23, 2003, 22:56   #39
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Unless his defense is that his watch read 12:00, as was already mentioned on this thread.
He couldn't have used that as a defense, DUH! The store closes at 12:00. If that store was anything like my store, the manager is up at the front during closing.

Quote:
Nope.
Says a man who (it seems) has never worked in retail dealing with age specific items. I've seen people get fired for selling to people who were under 18 (and only by a few days, IIRC).

David: NO, that ISN'T the issue, and stop pimping your moral views on the government to try to make it the issue.

--

Rules are rules. I didn't violate them when I was working at CVS, and I don't expect any other sales guy to.
Old April 23, 2003, 22:58   #40
David Floyd
Emperor

Quote:
David: NO, that ISN'T the issue
Well, if potential danger to children isn't the issue, then what possible argument do you have for an age limit for cigarettes? Surely you don't support a law just for the mere exercise of power?
Old April 23, 2003, 23:00   #41
Imran Siddiqui
staff

You're an idiot, David .

The issue ISN'T THE JUSTIFICATION OF AGE LIMITS ON SMOKING!

It's the application of those limits by retail clerks, you numbnut!
Old April 23, 2003, 23:01   #42
David Floyd
Emperor

No, dumbass, my post was an attack on the age limits, period. I took your post as an implication that the age limits had nothing to do with the danger of cigarettes. If I misunderstood you, well, I really don't care.
Old April 23, 2003, 23:05   #43
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Yes, that is your problem. You stray into threads like a child entering the room in the middle of story who blabs on about what the story SHOULD be instead of what it IS. It's called reading the damned opening post and not spouting off on whatever sounds good to you at that moment in time.

I don't give a **** about your post, because it had nothing to do with anything.

Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; April 23, 2003 at 23:11.
Old April 23, 2003, 23:13   #44
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Quote:
Quote:
He couldn't have used that as a defense, DUH! The store closes at 12:00. If that store was anything like my store, the manager is up at the front during closing.

Quote:
Nope.
Says a man who (it seems) has never worked in retail dealing with age specific items. I've seen people get fired for selling to people who were under 18 (and only by a few days, IIRC).

David: NO, that ISN'T the issue, and stop pimping your moral views on the government to try to make it the issue.

--

Rules are rules. I didn't violate them when I was working at CVS, and I don't expect any other sales guy to.
I think some of you guys are over analyzing the situation.

I betcha $100 that things such as Imran mentioned recently wasnt going thru the man's head. He probably thought "Hmmm I CAN still get in trouble for selling a ciggy to this punkass. Hell no" and that probably was it.

But good reasoning Imran anyway.

I would have cussed the ****er off, but then again I never had problem buying ciggarettes even when I was underaged, so I probably wouldnt have been in that situation.
Old April 23, 2003, 23:18   #45
David Floyd
Emperor

Quote:
Yes, that is your problem. You stray into threads like a child entering the room in the middle of story who blabs on about what the story SHOULD be instead of what it IS. It's called reading the damned opening post and not spouting off on whatever sounds good to you at that moment in time.

I don't give a **** about your post, because it had nothing to do with anything.
Primary objective - amusing myself: Achieved
Secondary objective - getting someone riled up: Achieved

Old April 23, 2003, 23:26   #46
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by David Floyd

Primary objective - amusing myself: Achieved
Secondary objective - getting someone riled up: Achieved

Tertiary objective-looking like an idiot: Achieved

I have been a store clerk and I wouldn't have sold them either.

There are other stores open past midnight, go to one of those.

Besides, carding a good looking women in her 30's is a great pickup line.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old April 23, 2003, 23:27   #47
David Floyd
Emperor

Quote:
Tertiary objective-looking lik an idiot: Achieved
Yeah, that's part of the point of amusing myself.
Old April 23, 2003, 23:29   #48
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by David Floyd

Yeah, that's part of the point of amusing myself.

That would be an LOL smilie if it worked.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old April 24, 2003, 00:01   #49
korn469
Emperor

Quote:
The real issue here is that we have to have this conversation in the first place. I mean, come on - the government setting age limits on who can smoke a cigarette? Jesus Christ? If the justification is that they kill you, then shouldn't they ban them for everyone?

No, "underage" (which is a misnomer anyway - underage as opposed to what?) smoking is a parenting problem, not a government problem. If the parents don't give a ****, why should the government? And before someone trots out the argument that parents are letting kids harm themselves, the same argument would hold true with allowing kids to take martial arts, play competitive sports, ride a bicycle in the street, and any number of other things. Do those things need age limits too?
David,

while I often disagree with you and libertarians in general about economic issues, Ithink you have my exact same views when it come to issues like this! I hate smoking as much as the next person, but really even if you start chain smoking at ten it's not like you'll drop over dead at 20. Not that any 10 year old should ever smoke, but i wish the government would get out of our lives. Anyways why use age at all? It is a terrible measurement, they need a better measuring tool to decide when people are responsible enough to smoke, or vote, or drink, or drive, or own property, or whatever...i hate soccer moms and all of the forces on both the left and the right that thinks the only answer to every question is a new fvcking laws! i hate that bs sooooooooooooo bad!

anyways i'm with you david
Old April 24, 2003, 00:18   #50
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Tuberski: (that's thumbs up)

Then again, it ain't hard getting David to look like an idiot.
Old April 24, 2003, 03:18   #51
David Floyd
Emperor

Quote:
Then again, it ain't hard getting David to look like an idiot.
Not really, fool, when that's pretty much the entire point of my post.
Old April 24, 2003, 08:24   #52
Monk
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 02:00
Imran, I think it makes perfectly good sense in this thread to adress the fact that age limits on cigarettes and other things shouldn't exist. It's far from being a real threadjack and even further from being something you should get that angry about. Burn one down!
Old April 24, 2003, 11:02   #53
Rogan Josh
Prince

Local Time: 01:00
The only time I have ever been carded (for alcohol - I don't smoke) was in the US, in the Chicago suburbs. I was 28 at the time, so I was rather amazed, but my passport was enough ID. I wonder what he would have said if I had handed him my UK drivers license .
Old April 24, 2003, 11:40   #54
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Go on and light up those death sticks, Darius. I'll see you in my clinic in a few years. Take your pick: lung cancer, bladder cancer, heart disease, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, peripheral vascular occlusive disease, hypertension, chronic venous insufficiency, deep venous thrombosis, pulmonary embolism, stroke, mouth cancer, tongue cancer, throat cancer...

Bless your heart, I'll be able to pay my student loans back in no time thanks to you!
Old April 24, 2003, 15:01   #55
David Floyd
Emperor

Old April 24, 2003, 16:51   #56
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuberski

There are other stores open past midnight, go to one of those.
I already said, I'm not 'compaining' about what he did. There was a 24-hour place right nextdoor, and I deliberately went to the one I went to just as an 'experiment', out of curiousity. I'm not even peeved at the guy, I just found it interesting.

Quote:
Originally posted by Guynemer
Go on and light up those death sticks, Darius. I'll see you in my clinic in a few years. Take your pick: lung cancer, bladder cancer, heart disease, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, peripheral vascular occlusive disease, hypertension, chronic venous insufficiency, deep venous thrombosis, pulmonary embolism, stroke, mouth cancer, tongue cancer, throat cancer...

Bless your heart, I'll be able to pay my student loans back in no time thanks to you!
Don't start talking like that, or God'll give you a heartattack for the irony.

I already said I'm not a 'smoker'. I've had between 0 and 5 per week for three years, with no slide to addiction, and I very well could have none at all a few years from now.

Also, that has jack**** to do with this thread.
Old April 24, 2003, 16:59   #57
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Darius871
I already said I'm not a 'smoker'.
You smoke, but you're not a smoker?

Sorry D, not how it works. "I can quit anytime I want" is something nearly everyone says; but virtually no one is telling the truth when they say it.

If it is true--quit while you still can.
Old April 24, 2003, 17:00   #58
*End Is Forever*
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Yes, that is your problem. You stray into threads like a child entering the room in the middle of story who blabs on about what the story SHOULD be instead of what it IS.
Funny that. I've seen countless threads here where various people (usually hard-right Americans on subjects such as gun control) wade into threads about what SHOULD be and blabber on about what IS.
Old April 24, 2003, 17:02   #59
*End Is Forever*
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
You smoke, but you're not a smoker?

Sorry D, not how it works. "I can quit anytime I want" is something nearly everyone says; but virtually no one is telling the truth when they say it.

If it is true--quit while you still can.
Not strictly true. There are people that smoke once every blue moon, and they're certainly not addicted. I'll have a cigarette maybe once a month, but I've easily gone over a year and smoked none. Hardly addicted...
Old April 24, 2003, 17:03   #60
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Quote:

"I can quit anytime I want" is something nearly everyone says; but virtually no one is telling the truth when they say it.
Correct, 'virtually' everybody. In the past three years, the amount of tobacco I've used hasn't significantly increased, nor has it taken on a regular pattern. There were times where I had no cigarettes for weeks, had half a pack in a night, and not smoked again for a few more weeks. Social smokers do exist.