Old April 21, 2003, 10:41   #1
Elok
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 20:01
Local Date: November 1, 2010
A little help?
I know, I'm a neurotic little cuss; I just REALLY want some feedback on my FF units. Nobody's really good at judging his/her own work, and I need to know if what I have so far is worthy of a good scenario, and if not, how it can be improved:

"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old April 21, 2003, 13:33   #2
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 18:01
They're both dramatic and colourful- great for a fantasy scenario. Some suggestions:

Consistency of scale makes a big difference once you see the units in the scenario. Erwan's units are the clearest example. He took a few unit positions he liked and made dozens of different units by varying the clothing and weapons. I generally use either Alex's or Erwans's units as a template, and modify them as needed. This gives consistency of scale and style, and saves all the work of drawing each unit from scratch.

More shading. You can hardly use too much. This is what gives the unit it's 3-D look. Constantly check your units on the scenario map to see how they look against the terrain and next to each other. Units should be very visible, though this is less of a problem in fantasy scenarios than in modern military ones where camoflage can be TOO good.

Good luck. I'll look forward to your scenario.

www.tecumseh.150m.com
Old April 23, 2003, 20:17   #3
MagyarCrusader
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 16:01
Quote:
More shading. You can hardly use too much. This is what gives the unit it's 3-D look.
I was going to say the same thing. But actually if I were going to do units for a FF scenario I wouldn't even try to draw them. I'd just rip the art with the high-res techniques. You can't get better than using the real thing.

Nice Chocobo you got there!
Old April 25, 2003, 08:20   #4
Elok
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 20:01
Yeah, I tried doing rips at first. The only problem is that, since the units I'm using come from MANY different games throughout the series, I'd have a serious conflict of graphical styles and complexities. A FFT Summoner next to a Fighter from the original and a Mystic Knight from number five looks really silly. Thanks for the tips though. I know what Tecumseh means about shading. The Tonberry (little robed turtlish guy with a lamp and knife) is my fave so far, probably because the lighting effects came out so neat. Yay.
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old April 29, 2003, 09:25   #5
Silpy
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:01
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Well, I like them. You could do with some more shading on the white parts, though. Yes, I know its hell (speaking from experiance) but it makes a good Sen. better! But what is the 5th one?
And I really like that green-star thing.

As I mentioned erlier, I have made a little sen. Only problem is, I am awful with making units form sratch. So I went through my Sen. Folders looking for others to use. I have changed some of them alot, some a bit, and a few not at all. Do you think I should

-ask the people who made the pics for permission?

-acknolge their unknown contribution?

Thanks.

PS. Perhaps you could find someone who is really good at doing the units to do them for you.
Old April 29, 2003, 09:45   #6
Silpy
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:01
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Well, I like them. You could do with some more shading on the white parts, though. Yes, I know its hell (speaking from experiance) but it makes a good Sen. better! But what is the 5th one?
And I really like that green-star thing.

As I mentioned erlier, I have made a little sen. Only problem is, I am awful with making units form sratch. So I went through my Sen. Folders looking for others to use. I have changed some of them alot, some a bit, and a few not at all. Do you think I should

-ask the people who made the pics for permission?

-acknolge their unknown contribution?

Thanks.