Local Time: 02:02
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
panag, on which page did you see this?

hi ,

this page , its working now

Q , how fast are they supposed to rotate

the "pauze button" for the quotes in between post's does not work , .....

have a nice day

average loading time now 6 sec
Old May 1, 2003, 14:47   #122
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

Mark , the chat seems to have a problem ;

welcome to apolyton's IRC chat
connecting to apolyton.net 6667
unable to connect to server
connection closed
connecting to apolyton.net 6667
unable to connect to server
connection closed

what gives

speed ( page loading ) is really up now

have a nice day
Old May 1, 2003, 19:17   #123
Rasbelin
Emperor

Jesus, did anyone happen to notice that it has been said in this and the other thread several times that ACS doesn't have an IRC server for now? Instead we have a new chatroom system which can be accessed using this link: http://apolyton.net/cgi-sys/mchat.cgi?channel=apolyton

I.e. there is no IRC server to connect to. Use the new chatroom system.
Old May 1, 2003, 19:26   #124
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Rasbelin
Jesus, did anyone happen to notice that it has been said in this and the other thread several times that ACS doesn't have an IRC server for now? Instead we have a new chatroom system which can be accessed using this link: http://apolyton.net/cgi-sys/mchat.cgi?channel=apolyton

hi ,

there is no-one there ( ever ) and it seems not to work from behind certain firewalls, ......

have a nice day
Old May 6, 2003, 18:29   #125
Chemical Ollie
King

I have not taken the time to read this thread through, but did the move to a new server change my birthday in the profile? Or did someone hack my account?
Old May 7, 2003, 02:49   #126
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 12:02
Everyone who's birthday is before 1970 had their birthday changed to December 31st 1969.

No one knows why or how.
Old May 13, 2003, 05:55   #127
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 17:02
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:

When you say "...for now"; Does that mean there will eventually be one again?

The ISDG and the PTWDG has been using DALNet & UnderNet since Apolyton's irc server went down. The SPDG II is using just UnderNet.

If it is permanently down, I'd just like to know.

Thanks.
Old May 13, 2003, 05:59   #128
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Frozzy
Everyone who's birthday is before 1970 had their birthday changed to December 31st 1969.

No one knows why or how.
Me neither. I've attempted to change it back to what it is supposed to be, but the information doesn't change in my profile.
Old May 13, 2003, 06:47   #129
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 11:02
Its a coding problem somewhere. The database portion of Apolyton is fine (as it stores the correct value) but some parts of Apolyton that retreive that value convert it incorrectly, setting the date to the "beginning of time" for computers, which is midnight, 1st of January 1970. The 1969 date occurs when different time-zones take a few hours off the date.
Old May 13, 2003, 07:22   #130
Rasbelin
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by BigFree

When you say "...for now"; Does that mean there will eventually be one again?
I can't give any official response on the behalf of Markos, but I assume as it now looks like, I get to the conclusion which I had back over one week ago. The new chatroom system will stay as it's being used (some at least have said that they have used it) and as there doesn't seem to be a need for something else either. I myself second this view as the demand meets the supply right now, so why to bother Markos with more work, when I'm quite sure he's no unemployed either.
Old May 13, 2003, 16:22   #131
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

I can't give any official response on the behalf of Markos, but I assume as it now looks like, I get to the conclusion which I had back over one week ago. The new chatroom system will stay as it's being used (some at least have said that they have used it) and as there doesn't seem to be a need for something else either. I myself second this view as the demand meets the supply right now, so why to bother Markos with more work, when I'm quite sure he's no unemployed either.
hi ,

the new one , well if its the new one ( see sig ) works okay , its stable , not to many options , just back to basics but it does what it is made for

have a nice day

link to chat below in sig (!)
Old May 13, 2003, 17:16   #132
Chemical Ollie
King

So it's the Y1.97K bug?
Old May 13, 2003, 18:39   #133
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 11:02
Markos: Just wondering what is happening with the IRC chatroom? Is it coming back?
Old May 13, 2003, 18:43   #134
Oerdin
Deity

We want IRC!
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 14, 2003, 01:21   #135
Rasbelin
Emperor

Skanky,

see my post above.

Oerdin,

we already have a working chatroom system.
Old May 14, 2003, 02:03   #136
BigFree
Deity

Yes, there's a chat room, but with nowhere near the capabilities it had before. So to say it's "working" isn't fair if you were to compare it to what we had before.

Maybe it doesn't matter to you much, but to some it does. I'd like to see Apolyton's irc server back like it was.
Old May 14, 2003, 09:40   #137
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 01:02
Quote:
Maybe it doesn't matter to you much, but to some it does. I'd like to see Apolyton's irc server back like it was.
I would humbly second this request.

I have never been a big chatroom regular, but ever since I got heavily involved in Civ3 PtWDG and ISDG games, I have been using the Apolyton IRC server almost 24/7. It would be so nice to have it back... DALnet or UnderNet are hardly a substitute for me, due to various reasons.
Old May 14, 2003, 10:44   #138
Rasbelin
Emperor

You can always ask Markos to add rooms to the current system, which supports multiple chatrooms and such, so your DGs can have their chatrooms already. Installing an IRCD for having a halfblood IRC server is waste of time. The current system ok, as long as Markos adds rooms for the DGs.
Old May 14, 2003, 12:02   #139
BigFree
Deity

You are completely missing the point Rabelin. The current system lacks nearly all the "bells and whistles" that we had previously. We could create channels and put passwords on them as needed. This would allow us to hold chats with other teams in a controlled environment.

I've played around with the new chat system, and to say it is lacking is an understatement.

Please, MarkG, can we have the old system back?
Old May 14, 2003, 12:42   #140
Rasbelin
Emperor

I oppose the suggestion as most likely plenty of other more urgent issues on Markos' tasklist. If he has time for it in the future, then that's a different issue, but IMO we shouldn't demand too much as then other things will suffer.
Old May 14, 2003, 13:17   #141
BigFree
Deity

I hardly think I "demanded" anything. This is a private site run by individuals not a corporation, they can do as they see fit. To accept reasonable requests or to ignore everyone; that's their choice. It's our choice to come here, leave, or stay.

How would you know what "tasks" MarkG has on his list and what kind of time he has to do them? Are you his new assistant? Maybe you are....

It is just my "request" that the irc system be restored.
Old May 14, 2003, 13:39   #142
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 19:02
Quote:
To accept reasonable requests or to ignore everyone; that's their choice.
And gee MarkG, have you stopped beating your wife...

Frist... how do you know it's a reasonable request? Maybe there are problems in doing what you ask.

Second... How do you know He's ignoring you... maybe he's trying to do what you ask or has added your request to his priority list.

Running a site the size of this one takes up a lot of his free time...
Old May 14, 2003, 13:43   #143
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 01:02
The biggest problem I have with Java chatrooms is that I can't use mIRC with its great set of handy features. Logging, multiple chats/windows, cut&paste, triggers others can use to draw my attention to the chat, if I am just having it running in the background, doing something else... it is about the functionality (and in certain aspects, about one's comfort).

I agree with BigFree, it would be nice to have the old IRC back - I don't say how important it is compared to other things and how much of a priority it should be. I understand many people do not need the features I frequently use(d). I am just saying I would be happy to have it back.

EDIT: crossposted with Ming - we understand it takes a lot of effort to get Settler II up and running at full speed. But if there is a problem preventing the IRC from being reenabled in its former state or a plan to bring it back, could you tell us, please? Many of us hang out there in the cold, on IRC servers that are much less friendly than the old Poly IRC was, hoping to be able to come back home to here soon... if we knew it's not going to happen, we'd probably spend some time finding ourselves a more permanent IRC residence somewhere... thanks.

Last edited by vondrack; May 14, 2003 at 13:51.
Old May 14, 2003, 13:52   #144
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Well... there are also other people who would be very happy if their own personal favorite things they would like to see done to this site were added as well

So you are indeed correct... It really comes down to priorities for MarkG and DanQ. This is only a hobby for them, and not their full time job. And I'm sure they have real lives to attend to as well

Edit also for crosspost

I wish I could answer the question, but only Mark or Dan can. They have been very busy working on other things with the site... But that's all I know.
Old May 14, 2003, 13:55   #145
BigFree
Deity

I'm still giving it time Ming; if a week or so goes by and there's not an answer to my request, then I'll consider myself "ignored." It wouldn't be the first time nor the last in my life.

As far as the request being reasonable or not, that is left for MarkG to answer. I only know that the system existed before and now it does not. If MarkG says that it's not "reasonable" to get it back, I'll believe him.

My post wasn't to sound that I feel I'm already being ignored or that I felt that my particular request was reasonable, they were very general statements about how this site could be run; it's just to say that it is up to the owner's to do as they wish.

I'm positive that running this site takes up quite a bit of time, something that all memeber's here must appreciate to some degree.
Old May 14, 2003, 14:01   #146
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
I'm positive that running this site takes up quite a bit of time, something that all memeber's here must appreciate to some degree.
Yes... it's amazing how much of their time they give just to provide us with a site that many call home. However, lately, it seems like not all members of this private site appreciate that fact. Mark and Dan deserve a lot of credit and respect for all they've done for the civ and gaming community... yet it seems many people want to dump on them for simply running their private site as they wish. It's a shame...
Old May 14, 2003, 14:14   #147
Rasbelin
Emperor

Quote:
Many of us hang out there in the cold, on IRC servers that are much less friendly than the old Poly IRC was, hoping to be able to come back home to here soon...
That applies to all ACS DG activities which have been concentrated to large IRC networks for now. As for friendliness, the level on ACS' halfblooded IRC server was as good as on any major network like DALnet, EFnet, etc.
Old May 14, 2003, 16:12   #148
Chemical Ollie
King

Will the Y1.97K bug be fixed? Or will all us old farts be 33 forever?
Old May 14, 2003, 16:23   #149
Rasbelin
Emperor

Don't you enjoy your eternal youth?
Old May 16, 2003, 13:03   #150
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
yet it seems many people want to dump on them for simply running their private site as they wish. It's a shame...
On that note,

THANK YOU MARKOS!