Old April 24, 2003, 09:34   #1
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 18:05
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Trappings of War: Volumes III & IV
The Trappings of War: Volume III
An UnOrthOdOx view of the Glory of War

It did my heart good to see the rolling hills with their vineyards once again. Much as one feels returning to see their parents, I suppose, I was immediately comfortable with the surroundings and felt at peace, though no longer at home. It was mid fall, and there was much bustling about bringing in this year’s crop of grapes to make our renowned wine. Everywhere you looked you could see the workers in the field, laboring away to clear the field before the first frost came in to threaten the quality of drink. I could not help to think that one day, my own town would grow in size to match this magnitude of people, but that seemed too far off to even contemplate at this point.

The meeting would not be till the evening, so I took my leave to go and see Hot Enamel down in his armory. I had many questions to ask of him as to what he would suggest for hunting my ‘dragon’. Not surprisingly, I found him testing out yet another of his new weapons, something he called a flail. “This is but a mere test model, it will be some time before we can outfit our regulars with it.” He explained. “The chain here allows one to build up much more force than with a standard club, knocking shields out of the way, and crushing any armor it comes in contact with. This one, though, needs more work. It is too heavy for our troops to use.”

“My good friend, mind if I give it a go?” I asked. Taking measure on the training dummy he had set up for testing, and heaving one mighty stroke. This mighty weapon shattered the oaken stand and split the dummy, armor and all right in two. “Too heavy?” I asked, “I would call this PERFECT!”

“One would think so, yes, but the follow through tends to leave one exposed too much. A lighter version can compensate for that, but still do considerable force.” He pointed out. “Besides, I was saying it was too heavy for the common soldier, not for ones as large as yourself.” He commented with a grin.

“Hah! Don’t try to kid me, I was watching you swing this about with ease as well. Still, you know how much I have always preferred these mighty blunt weapons to that of a sword, is there any way I can get a copy of this, and one of these heavy ones, mind you, not one of your ‘light’ versions.”

“But of course, take that one, fool. Why did you think I had it out to begin with, I knew you were arriving this morning. Now, let us go and find ourselves some lunch, swinging that thing around angers the stomach.” And off we were to find the Kitchens.

Over the course of our lunch, I explained the predicament I was in with finding a way to capture or kill this dragon. I had remembered that he was working on a contraption some time ago that looked of a massive bow. It was abandoned, though, when the Catapult was brought into service. I believed I had need of it to resurface again, but slightly different. Attached to the bow of a ship, and on a pivot to alloy one to fire a massive spear into the side of our beast. As I knew he would, Hot Enamel went on like a child who had discovered a new toy, and was making drawings of a test design before we had even finished our meal. He assured me he would have a prototype, whatever that is, before I left tomorrow.

That evening, with the bonfire lit once more, our council finally came together, much like we had always done. “Brothers, we have gathered around today to discuss once more the future of our mighty Empire.” GhengisFarb began, speaking in his eloquent voice as always. “We have now before us a choice, one that will determine our place both in history, and in the future. We are at a turning point now, with two paths laid before us. One is commonly referred to as Monarchy, the other is known as Republic.” I listened intently as he laid out the differences between the two, and how they would be for the betterment of our lands. I for one, though, did not like this in the least. WE were the ones in charge here, and it should remain that way, damn it! What was all this about giving ‘freedom’ to our peoples, anyway. They are not being harmed, they each have their place, and they all take pride in that. I sat in amazement as nearly everyone spoke in favor of a Republic.

“Have you people lost your minds!?!” I exclaimed “We are sitting here with wars raging around us, and you all wish to change to a system that no longer requires each castle to provide for the defense of the nation? That the funding and the upkeep of our ENTIRE military must come directly from the coffers of the Empire is completely absurd. Then you are adding the fact that we will no longer be allowed to patrol our own streets and keep the lawless in line through the utilization of our security forces. How do you expect to keep order? How do you plan to support a decent military?”

“Calm down, UnO, the point is, we will be making more money than before since our citizens will be more productive, and there will be less corruption” Aggie started, but I cut him off right there.

“How DARE you accuse anyone here of corruption!?!” I was vaguely aware of UberKrux shifting to stand at the mention of this as well.

“And how DARE YOU cut me off while I attempt to explain the situation to you with your addled old mind!?!” He shouted as he made a move for his sword.

Uber also had his sword out in a flash, and my hand was closing over my new flail when we were all startled back into sanity

“ENOUGH!!!” boomed a voice as a mighty axe shattered the table we had gathered around. Ghengis had once again taken control before things got out of hand. “We have gathered, and we have voted, the dead is decided. UnO, Uber, you two are bound to follow the will of the council, as we have agreed upon in days past. You have had your say, but the decision of the council is to move towards a Republic, understand?”

Uber made a move as to object, but I steadied him with a hand on his shoulder. Ghengis was right, of course. I may not like the decision at hand, but I was honor bound to carry it out to my fullest ability. I looked forward to returning home, though, where I could forget this nonsense.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old April 24, 2003, 09:35   #2
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

The Trappings of War: Volume IV
An UnOrthOdOx view of the Glory of War

A sleepless night was spent still fuming over the decision of the council, and I was up at dawn preparing my leave of this place, anxious to return home to my wife and children. There was little activity as most no one was awake at this hour, and I was on the road long before the workers had hit the field that day.

I traveled alone this day, Master Zen and Panzer32 had been detained on official business regarding their respective positions as Foreign Affairs Consul, and Consul of Internal Affairs. This was probably for the best this day, too, as I would have most likely returned to arguing over the idiotic choice of this silly ‘Republic’ that I was sure would be the death of our way of life. And, out here alone, I doubt there would be anyone to prevent us coming to blows this time.

I have found that there are two things in life that make time simply fly by. The first is Joy, the second is Anger, and it was due to the latter that it seemed I had hardly left when I arrived in Trafalga. Angered again to find out that no ships were ready for departure, I sent the local patrols to find me a ship that I may be off this accursed Land and on my way back to my Island home. I began to prepare cargo for my return, and was rounding up plenty of Wine and a few rolls of Silk when Hot Enamel came riding into town atop a silly contraption of a wagon.

“’dOx, What are you doing heading out so soon this morning?” he questioned.

I was about to launch into a tirade about the idiocy of our decision and my disgust for it when he continued.

“You forgot all about your Ballista.”

“My WHAT?” I was thoroughly confused.

“Your Ballista. You know, your Dragon Slayer.” And with that, he began removing the blanket from around his cart.

There sat one of the most impressive bows I had ever seen. A giant hand crank sat to allow one to draw the bow and load it with one of the massive spears that were crafted especially for this great machine. Hot Enamel showed me where he had made a point of pivot that this may be easily attached to the bow of a ship to turn and fire upon my dragon. I immediately forgot all about the council, and was once again focused on my pursuit of the Dragon.

“Does it work?” I asked.

“You need to ask? I’m insulted! Here, take aim at that tree.” He laughed.

With careful aim, I pointed this thing in the direction of a large pine and pulled the lever to fire. The force of the bow nearly toppled the cart upon which it sat, which was now looking incredibly small all of the sudden. A sickening sound let me know that not only had the spear struck home, it had torn a large chunk from the tree which was about to topple. Together, Hot Enamel and I rushed to the tree, pushing with all our might in an attempt to keep the tree from falling on top of the shipment of wine which I had gathered. By mere inches we were able to divert it’s path, and began laughing aloud together.

Some time later, with me now in much better spirits, Hot Enamel struck in on his thoughts.

“If this Dragon is as mighty as you claim, though, the weapon is not going to matter much. How are you going to prevent it from toppling your boat?”

“I haven’t quite figured that part out myself yet, you have any ideas?” I asked.

“Well, I’ve heard tails of the strange ships that Legoland used when they sailed across the channel to encounter us. Stories say they are made of materials far stronger than our wood. Perhaps we could build a ship out of this material?” he replied.

“Legoland? I’ll definitely have to check them out, then, but first, I must return home. I want to see how things are progressing, and have been too long from my wife as it is.”

“Good! You can take me with you then, I have been wanting to see your Dragon since I heard of him.” He replied.

Some time later, the boat had finally arrived and we set out towards my home.

Upon arrival, I set about my workers to unloading my cargo, and had the servants begin a feast for our guest. After seeing to these pleasantries, though, I made my way to my room for some time alone with my wife.

I missed the feast, however, not leaving my own chambers till the following morning. After suffering much joking from many of the locals as well as Hot Enamel, we set out to get a glimpse of our Dragon. And he did not disappoint, showing his back side and slapping his mighty tail around off in the distance. Hot Enamel, though, unaccustomed to the sight as most of us had become was completely white. I imagine we all looked much the same the first time we had seen it as well.

“You….Are….Insane.” He finally got out.

“Hah! You think I am going to let any beast push me around? No, we’ll find a way to hunt these things.” I chuckled.

“These!? You mean there are more than this one!?” He hurriedly sat down. “In the name of all Hells, you HAVE gone mad in your old age!”

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old April 24, 2003, 09:36   #3
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Well, now you all know what I did while Poly was down.

Ill post the rest as I write them.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old April 24, 2003, 22:46   #4
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

At least now we know what Glory of War folks war against when they aren't fighting their fellow civs.