Old April 24, 2003, 14:12   #1
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 18:05
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Americans! Madonna Thinks You're Superficial!
Everyone:

I couldn't help but post the following Reuters article after seeing how Madonna slammed Americans for having the "wrong values":

Quote:
Madonna Slams American Values

Reuters
Apr 24 2003 10:41AM

LONDON — U.S. pop superstar Madonna, one of music's richest performers, has attacked her fellow Americans for being obsessed with the "wrong values" such as getting rich and looking good.

Madonna told the Radio Times that Americans had opportunities people in other countries did not have but got caught up in superficial dreams.

"We as Americans are completely obsessed and wrapped up in a lot of the wrong values — looking good, having cash in the bank, being perceived as rich, famous and successful or just being famous," Madonna told the television listings magazine.

"It's the most superficial part of the American dream and who would know better than me? The only thing that's going to bring you happiness is love and how you treat your fellow man and having compassion for one another."

The interview coincided with the release this week of Madonna's latest album "American Life."

I know, I know. It's just a publicity stunt on Madonna's part to help generate word-of-mouth and sales for her new CD. But it's still ludicrous to read what she said.

Apparently she thinks a good deal of Americans live the way she and her fellow Hollywood types do — riches and excesses flowing. Well, lady, a number of us *don't* live the way you do. A lot of us struggle to keep a damn roof over our heads, food on the table and the family intact on less than $40,000 a year for a family of four. Looking good and keeping up with the latest trends? Yeah, we all know that the Wal-Marts and Targets of the world are just the "chic" places to go for that sort of style. Madonna would be in utter agony if she had to live in the reality a lot of Americans experience day in and day out.

Furthermore, her stereotype can be easily extended beyond American borders. But that wouldn't be politically correct, would it?

Anyway, the day Madonna *empties* her bank account, *sells* off most of her physical possessions and goes to Calcutta, India, to help the poor is the day I'll dignify her with something more substantial than a casual response.

I bet Hell freezes over first and Mother Teresa is reborn before that ever happens.

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old April 24, 2003, 14:14   #2
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 19:05
**** Madonna and the horse she rode in on.
Old April 24, 2003, 14:19   #3
Jac de Molay
Prince

Local Time: 00:05
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
LONDON — U.S. pop superstar Madonna, one of music's richest performers, has attacked her fellow Americans for being obsessed with the "wrong values" such as getting rich and looking good.
But it's Ok for her??
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old April 24, 2003, 14:22   #4
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Looks like shes batting 500. I'll give her rich, but as my friends say "She looks like she's been ridden hard and put away wet."

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old April 24, 2003, 14:29   #5
Kropotkin
Emperor

Local Time: 02:05
Much worse things are said on this site about French people every day. What's the big deal?
Old April 24, 2003, 14:30   #6
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 20:05
Madonna thinks Americans are superficial?

Well ****, even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
Old April 24, 2003, 14:31   #7
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

**** the French, too .
Old April 24, 2003, 14:34   #8
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Madonna is hardly one to be speaking........
Old April 24, 2003, 14:45   #9
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

It took her this long to figure it out? Clearly not the sharpest tool in the shed.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old April 24, 2003, 14:48   #10
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

The "Material Girl" says looks and getting rich are not what its about? Hmmm...She must be getting older and less in demand.
Old April 24, 2003, 14:50   #11
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Next, Jacko will say the Americans are just too damn weird.
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old April 24, 2003, 14:54   #12
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

"Americans had opportunities people in other countries did not have"

This is key.
Old April 24, 2003, 15:02   #13
Drake Tungsten
Deity

She's right, but she couldn't be a bigger hypocrite in saying so.
Old April 24, 2003, 15:04   #14
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Stefu
Next, Jacko will say the Americans are just too damn weird.
I love your avatar. Is that the head elf in santa's workshop?
Old April 24, 2003, 15:11   #15
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

No, he's Tony Halme, a Finnish far-right politician. He looks adorable, doesn't he?

Incidentally, that's the official site.

What's your avatar, Don Rumsfeld?
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old April 24, 2003, 15:11   #16
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Oh yeah? Oh yeah? Yeah...
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	_38066856_rumsfeld_armitage_ap150.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	43171  
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old April 24, 2003, 15:14   #17
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Cheney, actually.
Old April 24, 2003, 15:30   #18
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Quote:

Oh, and @ Madonna.

But Stefu's funnier.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old April 24, 2003, 15:37   #19
VJ
King

Quote:
Americans! Madonna thinks you're superficial!
Madonna! It seems that the Americans don't give a **** about your hypocritical speeches!

Quote:
The "Material Girl" says looks and getting rich are not what its about? Hmmm...She must be getting older and less in demand.
Yup, so it seems.
Old April 24, 2003, 15:38   #20
OneFootInTheGrave
King

Is Madonna an American?

Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good.
Old April 24, 2003, 15:45   #21
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Tell her you "discovered" kabala and she'll like you.
Old April 24, 2003, 15:48   #22
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 03:05
I bet if I had 10 minutes with Madonna, private, I'd convince her to have sex with me.

But that aside, Yeah.. this is good example of irony. If Madonna is so worried about superficial valus like money etc. then why is she so angry at people who downloads her music, because they can't afford it (or some other reasons) ?

If she truly believes what she's saying, she should give all her money to poor people in some poor country, or poor people at the US, like homeless people. I bet she has few millions to spare and throw away.. or does she use it to buy good things like super expensive make ups and clothes? Nice one Madonna, but I'm not buying this!

She can only prove herself wrong to buy my university tuition fees because I can not afford it. So Madonna, if you're reading this, PM me so I can give you my bank account information.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old April 24, 2003, 15:51   #23
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 18:05
You don't want to do that, Pekka. She'd probably take you to the cleaners just for the fun of it.

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old April 24, 2003, 15:55   #24
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Pekka, you really don't want to have sex with Madonna. The question isn't "where has she been?" but "where HASN'T she been?"

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old April 24, 2003, 16:09   #25
Pekka
Emperor

I'm only saying I'd make it
Old April 24, 2003, 16:09   #26
Pekka
Emperor

Plus I figure that if she pays $30k a year for my tuition, the least thing I could do is introduce her to my beast.