Old April 24, 2003, 22:58   #1
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 19:07
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Favourite MtG cards?
Don't see a Magic: the Gathering thread, so here's a list for everyone.

Name your favourite card for each category, and why you like this card the best:

1. White
2. Blue
3. Black
4. Green
5. Red
6. Artifact
7. Land
8. Overall

So let's hop to it!

I'll post mine later, so as not to distort the picks.
Old April 24, 2003, 23:06   #2
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 08:07
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Does it have to be something I actually have?
Old April 24, 2003, 23:07   #3
Urban Ranger
Deity

You also miss a category: multicoloured
Old April 24, 2003, 23:14   #4
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 16:07
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
Goblin Artisans
Old April 24, 2003, 23:24   #5
Tuberski

MichaeltheGreat cards?

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old April 25, 2003, 00:51   #6
Urban Ranger
Deity

Artifect: Black Lotus
Old April 25, 2003, 03:03   #7
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 10:07
1. White

Hand of Justice. I actually have a copy of this guy. He was the most-hyped card when I started playing. I learned later that he wasn't actually the most powerful card in the game, but he's cool nonetheless. (And his ability most definitely is in flavor. )

2. Blue

Krovikan Sorceror. I know he "sucks" by many standards. Hard to explain what I see in him; he's "cycling on legs" and he interacts with black (multicolor is good!). That'll do.

3. Black

Western Paladin. He has a cool, cool name and a good, good ability. But mainly what I like is his cool, cool name. His original flavor text ruled.

4. Green

Killer Bees. Sadly, I no longer have a copy of this creature. It's killer bees. Come on. Killer bees! (And yes, this card is in flavor. )

5. Red

Shivan Dragon. The first dragon. Possibly not the most powerful dragon any more, but a veteran and a classic master. (Rock Hydra is a close second for that crazy ability of his!)

6. Artifact

This one's tough because I like artifacts in general and many individual artifacts in particular, but I'm gonna go with Millstone. Not much to look at in terms of art, but it's a nutty ability and great flavor text.

(Was my bias towards creatures too obvious? )

7. Land

I'm the Dual Land Advocate. But I'm not going to choose one of those for this slot. Rather, my favorite land is Gemstone Mine. It's flavorful. And it's neat.

8. Overall

It's hard to pick an overall favorite, 'cause as the quiz highlights, favorites depend a lot on color and card type. I think Mana Short is a very underappreciated card; I use it whenever I play blue.
Old April 25, 2003, 03:34   #8
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Phage the Untouchable.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old April 25, 2003, 03:42   #9
Daz
Prince

Local Time: 00:07
Oooo, havent playes Magic in years. Lets see if I can remember....
Only cards I owned/played/enjoyed playing

Black - Erg Riders,
Blue - Any Tim
Green - Endless Wurm 9/9, trample combo with Rancor
Red - Incinerate.
White - Pacifism, Heavy Ballista
Artifact - Mox Diamond
Land - City of Brass
Gold - Slivers
Old April 25, 2003, 11:53   #10
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

UR:

Quote:
Does it have to be something I actually have?
No.

As for multicolour, feel free to add to the list.

My picks:

Black: Avatar of Woe. Cool picture and awesome abilities. Also comes in handy for beatdown, if you can kill lots of creatures early on in the game.

Blue: Ertai Wizard Adept. I call him 'lightning rod'.

Green: Wall of Blossoms. It took me so long to get four for my W/G/U deck. The card drawing ability is unmatched by any other green card.

White: Knight of Dawn. Bolt resistant and unblockable beatdowm for the price of 1WW.

Red: Shivan Dragon. Awesome picture, awesome card. Kill a foe, it's not hard. If I can't pick the Shivan Dragon, I'll say mana flare. Ends multiplayer games quickly.

Multicolour:
Sliver Queen. Gamebreaker for 5 mana.

Artifact:
Icy Manipulator

Forces opponent to use the phrase: "I declare my attack phase, each and every time he attacks."

Land:
Tolarian Academy.
Especially with moxes

Overall:

I'll think I'll pick most underrated as well, with Memory Lapse.
Old April 25, 2003, 16:45   #11
thinkingamer
Warlord

Local Time: 16:07
red: earthquake/lighting bolt
green: birds of paradise
white: balance/land tax
blue: counter spell
black: mind twist/necropotence
artifact: icy manipulator
land: strip mine (i kill your fav. land...Muhahah!)

btw, i started to play from fallen empires to weatherlight, so I am posting the cards that i know

Last edited by thinkingamer; April 25, 2003 at 17:22.
Old April 25, 2003, 16:47   #12
SnowFire
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Hmm... sometimes I might separate flavor from power. And by power I don't always mean strict "should be on restricted list" power, but just really good to use.

1. White
I think I'll go for my current favorite, Master Apocethary, the keystone of my white weenie deck. Both powerful as well as very flavorful, turning almost my entire army into super-Samite Healers. Nothing like playing a weird control deck composed of almost all creatures... sure makes things easier against real control decks, since my pieces can attack.

2. Blue
So many choices here... I always liked Dismiss. Nothing like countering your spell AND drawing a card to replace it.

3. Black
Hmm... power-wise, I'll say Haunting Echoes. Such a deliciously evil card if cast in the mid-game. Yes, I will castrate your deck, thank you very much.
Flavor-wise, I really like the recent card Blackmail. Very Black and I like the whole "choose which of your cards you value least! And I shall judge amongst them! Mwahahah!"

4. Green
Simple and to the point: Giant Growth, a spell I hope never leaves the game. I still stick that in some of my green decks for nice little "surprises" when attacking and blocking, as well as extra damage.

5. Red
There is only one answer that is correct for this, and that answer is Fireball. The quintessential red card. Being a red mage is about BLOWING STUFF UP. Fireball both hammers your opponent to finish him late in the game as well as blowing up a whole swarm of weenies.

6. Artifact
Eh, no huge preferences here. Though I don't own one, Mirrari from Odyssey has excellent flavor as well as quite a good power level.

7. Land
I'm going to have to go with Islands. They always looked pretty, at least more so than the other lands. I suppose Stalking Stones for nonbasics.

8. Multicolored
I think I just might have 3 favorites here. My classic gold card, and I do believe the first one I ever got, was a Viashivan Dragon from a Visions pack, and I promptly made a Red-Green deck precisely to use it. Simple but great.
I haven't found a deck for it yet, but flavor-wise, Prophetic Bolt from Apocalypse is great. *crackle* "Ah-hah! I have the answer!" Nothing like blowing up your enemies while manipulating the future. Got one of those in my few packs of Apoc I opened.
Lastly, Psychatog from Odyssey is also a nice foundation for a deck I've done. He'd only be okay, if it wasn't for the Atog creature-type and the big smile on the artwork.
Old April 26, 2003, 21:27   #13
Shadowstrike
Emperor

White - Empryal Armor. +X/+X where X is the # of cards in hand for three mana. This has saved my neck more times than I can count.
Blue - Capsize/Whispers of the Muse. Next to Counterspell, the quintessential blue card advantage cards. Just for the sheer annoyance/gloating factor.
Black - Hymn to Tourach (sp?). Two random cards discarded afor three mana is pretty good.
Green - Argothian Worm. This card is good for its abilities, but I listed it as a favorite because I was never able to get one (I actually bought hte pre-constructed deck it was in, but the card got stolen. Bugger.)
Red - Lightning Bolt. The classic 3 damage for 1 red direct damage spell. Gotta love this one.
Artifact - Phyrexian Processor. There has got to be better artifacts then this one, but its just too amazing to pass up.
Land - No preference. I've always wanted to have a Mishra's Factory, but I never did so I'll go with that.
Old May 15, 2003, 18:48   #14
Panda
Prince

I think I need two lists, one for type 1, and the other for type II.

Type 1:
White - Swords to Ploughshares. Nice, cheap, removal (which White sorely lacks at times).
Blue - Ancestral recall/Timetwister/Time walk. They're all so good, and depending on the deck used, Time Walk is more *useful*
Black - Dark Ritual/Demonic Tutor. The Tutor is obviously the better card, but the fast mana available from the Ritual is also too cool (anybody else like first turn Hypnotic Spectres?)
Green - Multani, Maro-Sorcerer (see below)
Red - Lightning Bolt
Artifact - Agree with Black Lotus
Land - Library of Alexandria
Overall - the eternal question.

Multani, Maro-Sorcerer
{4}{GG}
Creature -- Legend
*/*
Power and Toughness equal to number of cards in all players hands. Cannot be a target of spells or abilities.

Type 2:
White - Glory
Blue - Upheaval? Fact or Fiction rotated out. Boo! But you can't top a nice Counterspell
Black - Phage is obviously broken, so I'll vote for Chainer's Edict
Green - Bah! Krosan Tusker is very useful. The old-timers here might like to know there is now a 13/13 called Krosan Cloudscrapper, which isn't that great in constructed.
Red - Red in type 2 is a joke! Urza's Rage - gone! Obliterate - gone! (for now). Shivan Dragon is a nice card, but the Fledgling Dragon is a tad better. Imperial Hellkite however tops both because of the Morphing.
Artifact - hmm, WoTC don't like artifacts much atm, but I *love* Mirari.
Multicoloured - "Psychotog".
Land - Again, type 2 is more limited (obviously). Wooded Foothills however is very useful in the right deck (Astral Slide)
Overall - I love them all!
Old May 16, 2003, 13:37   #15
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Quote:
Creature -- Legend
*/*
Power and Toughness equal to number of cards in all players hands. Cannot be a target of spells or abilities.
Head aches, from the number of times Multani has stomped my head in.

One of my best friends plays with multani. This is why WotC made Diabolic Edict.

Last edited by Ben Kenobi; May 16, 2003 at 13:47.
Old May 16, 2003, 13:38   #16
Panda
Prince

We sometimes see Multani in our multiplayer games *G*
Old May 16, 2003, 14:31   #17
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 20:07
I might get the colors a bit mixed up...

1. White: Celestial Dawn. Aka, "Bleach." Runner-up: Kismet. Slow your opponent to a crawl.

2. Blue: Mana Drain. It's like a Counterspell, only a thousand times better. Runner-up: Leviathan. It's huge!

3. Black: Demonic Horde. What's not to like? Runner-up: Nether Void. The death of all weenie decks.

4. Green: Eureka. Something for nothing, baby. Runner-up: Endless Wurm. It's huge!

5. Red: Blood Moon. Runner-up: Urza's Rage. Wutang, does a shitload of damage.

6. Artifact: Grindstone. Instant death to somebody playing a single-colored deck. Runner-up: Millstone.

7. Land: Lotus Vale. Difficult to play, but well worth it if used in combination with Celestial Dawn or Blood Moon. Woot! Runner-up: Reflecting Pool.

8. Multicolored: Nebuchadnezzar. Combine with some means of looking at the cards that your opponent is drawing, and you can keep your opponent cardless indefinitely. Runner-up: Nicol Bolas. Combine with Fire Whip and you can keep your opponent cardless indefinitely.

9. Overall: Cosmic Horror. I just like the name.
Old May 16, 2003, 15:52   #18
DinoDoc
Deity

Come on guys! How can you top a card that actually has the words "That player loses the game"?
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old May 16, 2003, 16:40   #19
Panda
Prince

Phage the Untouchable
3{B}{B}{B}{B}
Creature - Minion Legend
4/4
When Phage the Untouchable comes into play, if you didn’t play it from your hand, you lose the game. Whenever Phage deals combat damage to a creature, destroy that creature. It can’t be regenerated. Whenever Phage deals combat damage to a player, that player loses the game.

Phage is a good card for Legions, and probably for Onslaught Block Constructed, but nothing else. Overcosted, underpowered, and too conditional.
Old May 16, 2003, 20:29   #20
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

One of the writers on MagicTheGathering.com suggested a combination with Volrath's Shapeshifter, which takes the form of whatever creature is on top of your graveyard and lets you discard cards from your hand (correct me if I'm wrong).

Discard something your opponent can't block, attack with the Shapeshifter, discard Phage. Good night.
Old May 16, 2003, 23:27   #21
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Panda
Phage is a good card for Legions, and probably for Onslaught Block Constructed, but nothing else. Overcosted, underpowered, and too conditional.
I know all that but it contains the phrase "That Player Loses The Game!"
Old May 16, 2003, 23:36   #22
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. President
Discard something your opponent can't block, attack with the Shapeshifter, discard Phage. Good night.
Hell, just enchant him with a Fire Whip. That's one of the old tricks to use with Nicol Bolas.
Old May 16, 2003, 23:50   #23
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. President
One of the writers on MagicTheGathering.com suggested a combination with Volrath's Shapeshifter, which takes the form of whatever creature is on top of your graveyard and lets you discard cards from your hand (correct me if I'm wrong).
I like the other shapeshifter more. Vensuian or something like that. I have a deck that has this shapeshifter, kismet, winter orb, with a few weenies. It is particularly good against stacks with massive creatures.

Hm, wait. I don't think it's the winter orb. It's the card that stops any creature with power greater than 2 from untapping.

Last edited by Urban Ranger; May 16, 2003 at 23:55.
Old May 16, 2003, 23:52   #24
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by loinburger
2. Blue: Mana Drain. It's like a Counterspell, only a thousand times better. Runner-up: Leviathan. It's huge!
Is that the card that sucks out mana from your opponent into your pool? It's useful, but you have watch out for mana burn, and it's a sorcery, so you can't on your opponent's turn.
Old May 17, 2003, 00:48   #25
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Nah, it's much more useful (overpowered) than that:

Mana Drain
UU
Interrupt
Counters target spell. At the beginning of your next main phase, add X to your mana pool, where X is the casting cost of target spell.

Last edited by loinburger; May 17, 2003 at 00:55.
Old May 17, 2003, 04:04   #26
Panda
Prince

UR, you were thinking of "mana short"

Mana Short
{2}{U}
Instant
Tap all lands target player controls and empty his or her mana pool.

This isn't so great because the only time you can usefully use it is during the opponents upkeep phase, otherwise you don't get priority before your opponent gets the opportunity to cast whatever s/he draws
Old May 17, 2003, 05:37   #27
NeoStar
Warlord

Sentimentally: Imperial Hellkite

To win the game: Phage the Untouchable

But who knows with Scourge, maybe dragons will become more viable...
"Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)
Old May 17, 2003, 09:11   #28
Urban Ranger
Deity

There's a blue sorcery card that taps all your opponent's lands and add that into your mana pool.
Old May 17, 2003, 09:13   #29
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by loinburger
Nah, it's much more useful (overpowered) than that:

Mana Drain
UU
Interrupt
Counters target spell. At the beginning of your next main phase, add X to your mana pool, where X is the casting cost of target spell.
That's from Legends. Quite nasty indeed.
Old May 17, 2003, 09:49   #30
Urban Ranger
Deity

Ooo, some nasty counter spells are: Arcane Denial, Quash, Rewind, Ertai’s Trickery, and Grip of Amnesia,.