View Poll Results: Were the Dixie Chicks treated unfairly?
Yes- they have their right to free speech 19 43.18%
No- we have a right to boycott their dumb remarks 12 27.27%
Who are the Dixie Chicks 8 18.18%
I am offended by the name Dixie chicks 3 6.82%
Chicks and bananas turn me on 2 4.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 25, 2003, 14:06   #61
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

Local Time: 17:07
Local Date: November 1, 2010
so their music didnt tell you that first?
Old April 25, 2003, 21:34   #62
badams52
King

Local Time: 16:07
Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
Sorry Slowwhand. This is America. And people are allowed to say what they like regardless if people pay them.

Also, people have every right to call for a boycott, because I've said before, stupidity is a freedom. But when a corporation that leases public airwaves decides they are blacklisting the Dixie Chicks, that violates the spirit of freedom in America. The people that want to live in a country like that can build a time machine and move to Nazi Germany.

You're not the one paying for those airwaves. And you have every right to boycott that radio station just as people have every right to boycott the Dixie Chicks.

The spirit of freedom applies to the government not censoring papers, imprisoning people, etc. The spirit of freedom does not apply to private companies and private newspapers who should be able to choose what they want to play or publish. The govenrment nor any one else should be able to force them to play or not play a group, song, etc.

In another China example, A Mei sang the Taiwanese National Anthem and got banned from performing in Mainland China. It wasn't the people who were upset, it was The Party.
Old April 25, 2003, 21:47   #63
gsmoove23
Warlord

Local Time: 00:07
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The question about Clearchannel is a little more complicated then its a private company so let them do as they like. They own an enormous amount of stations countrywide due to the relaxing of federal restrictions which in turn have been reciprocated by Clearchannel following the government line and stifling opposition within its stations. Clearchannel has also sponsored a number of pro-war rallies nationwide. Somebody has fallen asleep at the wheel and put freedom of speech at danger in this country by allowing large corporations to own ever growing portions of the media industry in this country and its continuing as currently more media regulations are coming under attack and surprisingly the major media sources are not reporting much about this. I wonder why that may be?

That is the only thing I worry about here, let people boycott, burn cds, call in death threats, whatever. They only show their stupidity and do more hurt then good to their cause.
Old April 25, 2003, 23:02   #64
Plan Austral
Spanish Civers
King

Local Time: 00:07
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Location: Poster Formerly known as Kublai-Khan. Buenos Aires - Argentina.
It surprises me that leftists have not started to call them Freedom chicks or something like that.
Periodista : A proposito del escudo de la fe, Elisa, a mí me sorprendía Reutemann diciendo que estaba dispuesto a enfrentarse con el mismísimo demonio (Menem) y después terminó bajándose de la candidatura. Ahí parece que fuera ganando el demonio.

Elisa Carrio: No, porque si usted lee bien el Génesis dice que la mujer pisará la serpiente.
Old April 26, 2003, 00:36   #65
FrantzX
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Warlord

Local Time: 19:07
The Dixie Chicks violated the first rule of a commerical artist: Don't piss off the fanbase. People who listen to country music are generally pro-war.
Old April 26, 2003, 02:41   #66
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I have no problem with what they said. They are just dumb chicks. I generally like dumb chicks

It's funny how these actors/singers/actresses think they know so much about foreign affairs.

I was going to post something I heard on the radio comparing the education of hollywood celebrities to those in the Bush administration (who all have masters degrees or higher). Most of the anti-war celebrities dropped out of high school or college. I don't think anyone had a degree. I couldn't find it on the internet. If someone finds it, please post it. It's silly, but humourous.

So because of this, I have no problem with celebrities (except maybe Michael Moore ). I realize they don't know what the hell they are talking about.

I have no intention of boycotting any of them. Most of them are washed up actors anyways. I don't watch West Wing anymore because it sucks, not because of Sheen's political views.
Old April 26, 2003, 02:56   #67
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 18:07
The Dixie Chicks rock, musically and politically.

Just for the record, what Natalie said was 'just so you know, we're embarrassed that Bush is from Texas.'

The people demanding radio stations stop playing their music are genuine losers. Bush is an embarrassment for many reasons: he's unintelligent, unqualified, un-statesmanlike, and inconsiderate of world opinion. Just imagine if Bush were African-American what people would say of him; yet he can be a respected president to many southerns because he's still white.
Old April 26, 2003, 02:58   #68
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 20:07
Tell us what you really think .

Though the racist Southerner shtick is getting as old as Mr Fun's .

Once again, it is simply being stupid. It'd be like a black rap star (say, Ice T) back in the day saying that Clinton was an embarassment. Ya gotta know your audience.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old April 26, 2003, 03:19   #69
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Carver you do know that Bush went to an Ivy league school don't you?

Come back when you have a degree from an ivy league school.

And your post borders on racism. You just naturally assume southerners like Bush because he's white? Gore was white, what does that say? And other republicans were white, yet they lost key southern states back in 1996 and 1992.

I lived in the south for 8 years, and I saw more racism in the west than I did down there. And I also lived in Mississippi.
Old April 26, 2003, 14:06   #70
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 18:07
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident

Come back when you have a degree from an ivy league school.
I'll have a M.A. from an Ivy League school in 1 year, and unlike Bush I earned my admission.
Old April 26, 2003, 17:49   #71
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 20:07
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
Diss, are you familiar with the concept of "the gentleman's C"?