Old April 25, 2003, 08:24   #1
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 03:08
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Surreal experince, panic attacks?
I was wondering if we had any polyners here who suffer from panic attacks? I'm not sure if I do, but it's very possible. Just an hour ago I was at post office, waiting in long line and I was hot and uncomfortable to begin with. Little kids running like wild beasts screaming and all that what makes me thing if this is not hell, then I don't want to know what it's like. So there I was, minding my own business and suddenly I start feeling very disoriented, followed with little chest pains. I couldn't breath easily, I could only get short breaths of air or that what it felt like. Then little dizzy feeling, legs start feeling wobbly and at this point I'm somehow convinced I'm dying. I mean even though I wasn't screaming, I was sure this is it. For some weird reason I also thought that if this is it, I wouldn't go screaming and pooping my pants, I go quiet here in this line, collapse and drop dead.. like there's some dignity in that instead of pleading for help.

Right then I was able to walk outside, I was still little dizzy, very disoriented but I could already breathe normally.. it was scary though, but I figured if I was goign through heart attack, I would know it for sure since doctor told me that when I once called there. I was all sweaty and feeling like crap. Now I feel better, but not like million bucks. I think it was panic attack coming, I don't know.. I'm pretty sure about it, what do you guys think? Sound any familiar to some of you? I'm telling you it wasn't funny at all, I used to think panic attacks are bad, but not THIS bad, ****, I wasn't sure if I was going to drop unconsciouss right there and die.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old April 25, 2003, 08:28   #2
Spec
Emperor

Local Time: 00:08
How old are you? And how much sleep did you get the night before? And what did you have to eat?

Better look at that before jumping to conclusion, everybody has those atleast once in their lives but it's usually not panic attacks
Old April 25, 2003, 08:31   #3
Pekka
Emperor

I'm 22.. 23 soon. I sleep like a dog. I wake up every hour, been that for long time. I have eaten properly though.. I was feeling good before it happened.
Old April 25, 2003, 08:36   #4
Spec
Emperor

Maybe you just have low or high blood pressure, some people collapse because they have that...like my mother.
Old April 25, 2003, 08:40   #5
Pekka
Emperor

My blood pressure is fine. I'm not sure if it was bad this day before that thing. But in general, it's good. I had it checked in january at check up I had to get for this job (which I never even got).
Old April 25, 2003, 09:15   #6
DaShi
Emperor

First symptoms of SARS?
Old April 25, 2003, 09:20   #7
Pekka
Emperor

Yeah DaShi, that's very funny
Old April 25, 2003, 09:25   #8
DaShi
Emperor

You're problem is that you're too healthy. When you do get sick, it just makes the cause more likely to be more serious.

So stop excerising and for God's sake eat some fatty foods, man!
Old April 25, 2003, 09:32   #9
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 21:08
Local Date: November 1, 2010
It seems a real panic attack to me. That sensation of imminent death is a classical symptom.
The doctors say that you will not die because of this... But you feel like it, for sure!
Yes, I know what I'm talking about...
Old April 25, 2003, 09:44   #10
Pekka
Emperor

Yeah, I've been dazed before training and not eating properly, being too tired and all that, feeling uncomfortable, like passing out and head aches, but this was nothing like it.. the strongest feeling was that I was sure this is it and game over. Even now when it's over and I'm feeling pretty normal, it's nasty to even think about the feeling I got.. I don't need any facts about 'you're not going to die, this is not dangerous', the feeling alone is bad enough.
Old April 25, 2003, 09:47   #11
Pekka
Emperor

I still hope it was not panic attacks though, maybe it wasn't. Because it would mean end to my dreams of being pro soldier..
Old April 25, 2003, 09:49   #12
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Pekka
........ I don't need any facts about 'you're not going to die, this is not dangerous', the feeling alone is bad enough.
Exactly. But if this happens again, know that will help.
Helped me.
Old April 25, 2003, 09:51   #13
Aro
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
I still hope it was not panic attacks though, maybe it wasn't. Because it would mean end to my dreams of being pro soldier..
No, this kind of thing is curable. I had this for a few months, years ago.
Old April 25, 2003, 11:04   #14
Pekka
Emperor

It is? I thought it was one of those things.. well, I guess I need to go to doctor and make them check me up and see what's wrong and could it be panic attacks etc.
Old April 25, 2003, 11:51   #15
Richelieu
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 20:08
Quote:
If it's anything like the one that i have experienced, the attack itself isn't necessarily triggered by "general" fear. It may be related to one particular event/experience that you had and only happen when you are exposed to something that reminds you of that.
A combat situation may very well not trigger anything in your case, maybe the children's laughs or shouts or a combination of sounds, place, lighting is what triggered it.
Bottom line is : find the trigger first.
Old April 25, 2003, 14:24   #16
Monk
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 02:08
Pekka, that was most certainly a panic attack, and you can still be a soldier, a politician or perhaps even a used car salesman if you work with this thing. In the event this isn't going to be a one-time thing, there are a lot of things you can do to improve your situation, and I'm not just talking about Prozac.

I don't know if this is going to help you in any way, but it's been my personal experience that the people with mild to moderate anxiety disorders tend to be pretty cool and interesting people.
Old April 25, 2003, 14:28   #17
Monk
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

And yes, it's vitally important that you see a doctor, because panic attacks are sometimes things not psychological in nature. For example, I experienced there is medicine out there which can give a somewhat similar side-effect to what you got.
Old April 25, 2003, 14:56   #18
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Re: Surreal experince, panic attacks?
Quote:
I was wondering if we had any polyners here who suffer from panic attacks?
Yep. Though I'm usually able to simply play on my bed, and begin forcing myself to become calm......and after about 10 minutes, it works.

My wife also suffers from them. However she has to go to the hospital.
Old April 25, 2003, 15:33   #19
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Re: Surreal experince, panic attacks?
Quote:
I was wondering if we had any polyners here who suffer from panic attacks? I'm not sure if I do, but it's very possible. Just an hour ago I was at post office, waiting in long line and I was hot and uncomfortable to begin with. Little kids running like wild beasts screaming and all that what makes me thing if this is not hell, then I don't want to know what it's like. So there I was, minding my own business and suddenly I start feeling very disoriented, followed with little chest pains. I couldn't breath easily, I could only get short breaths of air or that what it felt like. Then little dizzy feeling, legs start feeling wobbly and at this point I'm somehow convinced I'm dying. I mean even though I wasn't screaming, I was sure this is it. For some weird reason I also thought that if this is it, I wouldn't go screaming and pooping my pants, I go quiet here in this line, collapse and drop dead.. like there's some dignity in that instead of pleading for help.

Right then I was able to walk outside, I was still little dizzy, very disoriented but I could already breathe normally.. it was scary though, but I figured if I was goign through heart attack, I would know it for sure since doctor told me that when I once called there. I was all sweaty and feeling like crap. Now I feel better, but not like million bucks. I think it was panic attack coming, I don't know.. I'm pretty sure about it, what do you guys think? Sound any familiar to some of you? I'm telling you it wasn't funny at all, I used to think panic attacks are bad, but not THIS bad, ****, I wasn't sure if I was going to drop unconsciouss right there and die.

yep it was a panik attack. dont have any but i know a person who used to.

same description of symptoms. like a photocopy.
Old April 25, 2003, 17:55   #20
Pekka
Emperor

Thanks for your replies.. I've been wondering all day now what could have triggered it.
I was getting super uncomfortable, you know when you just want to drop everything and scream 'everybody STFU! Just shut up and calm down!' and then stop the running kids who keeps bumping into you and rip their hearts out. I tried to calm down, but then I noticed I was super hot (dressed way too warm) and I was running late from another place and all that. And then instead of calming down I noticed shortened breathing and there it started..... I can work under stress no problem though.

As far as soldiering comes, I don't see any problems myself, I'm not afraid of getting that kind of attack in let's say bad situation. I'm afraid no one will recruit me if I have that in my medical backround. Let's say you have two equal guys. You take the one with panic attack history, or the one with clean history? Pretty easy choice.
Old April 25, 2003, 18:00   #21
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

You're going to offer your soldiering experience to more than one employer?
Old April 25, 2003, 18:03   #22
Aivo½so
King

Local Time: 01:08
I had some panic attacks like that in my early teens but they have pretty much ceased.
Old April 25, 2003, 19:50   #23
gsmoove23
Warlord

In college I had a girlfriend who had exactly those symptoms bad enough that I had to take her to the emergency room. I had never heard of it before and I'm a little ashamed to say that I attributed it to her being a drama queen, which she was big time. I remember her frustration at trying to convince the doctors that there really was something wrong with her but all they ever did was keep her a few hours for observation.

As far as I know she doesn't suffer from these anymore or if she does its only when shes under a great deal of stress, usually asociated with her being a drama queen. (we had a bad break-up if you couldn't tell)
Old April 25, 2003, 21:23   #24
devilmunchkin
Warlord

I've been having them off and on for three days..i was kinda stuck in bed today as they've begun to lead to heart palpitations...it depends on my stress level (VERRRRRRRRRRY HIGH!)....
"Speaking on the subject of conformity: This rotting concept of the unfathomable nostril mystifies the fuming crotch of my being!!! Stop with the mooing you damned chihuahua!!! Ganglia!! Rats eat babies!" ~ happy noodle boy