Old April 25, 2003, 09:14   #1
Seeker
Emperor

Local Time: 19:08
Local Date: November 1, 2010
NK: What Should/Can Be Done?
Well, I've got 2 1/2 months left before my contract expires. (If I can fly into Toronto with the SARS nonsense)

Please Bush, don't blow us up before I leave.

I'm surprised by how calm the SKs are, with young kim threatening 'war at any moment' and doing the 'my words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS' thing. But then I remember they've grown up with NK's constant whining, and refugee shooting, and border violations, and spies, and terrorist groups (like the group of pro-NK student radicals that like to burn things and people), and labor/death camps, and unprovoked sinking of naval vessels, and general *******-ism.

Then I remember they've grown up with it, it's 'business as usual'. Even the nukes really aren't news, since the late 80s they've long suspects 1 or 2 lying around. The ridiculous, probably 40% functional 2 stage ICBM they have is a little more worrying (they also have a few subs, nothing too threatening though).

So, what should be done?

I've seen a few options kicked around:

1. UN sanctions: great, more NKs will die, the US will continue to improve its image as the third worlds friend, and the regime will be 'legitimized'.

2. Get China to 'do something'

3. Hit Yongbyon (the visible plant you can watch live on the internet via satellite if you want)

4. General strategic air campaign, hit everything military, HAARM all their ancient radars. (almost certain to be war)

5. War. Hit 'em hard, fast, and smart. Try to 'do an Iraq' and just hope that the NK officers are so 'shocked and awed' and don't like Kim enough that 'they call a war and nobody shows up'.

6. Corollary to 'hit Yongbyon': get out defectors from the nuke prog, find out under which mountain the nukes really are, send some cruise missiles to sail right into the bunkers blast doors and take them out. Less chance of causing a war?

7. Get China and SK and Russia to 'do something' besides 'issue joint statements'.

8. Give them the security guarantee in whatever language they want, unilaterally (from US pov). It would lessen the war-monger image.

9. Negotiate a security guarantee conditional on stopping nuke production, UN inspections, which the US has declared futile and useless.

10. A USSR like arrangement: hotline, MAD. Just accept the status quo. Eventually, Kim will die and North Korea will transform because the NKs will transform it, just like Russia (too much; I'm imagining NE asias newest criminal empires)

11. Call the (possible) 'bluff': Give them a deadline for stopping production, handing over existing nukes, and US led inspections (with a veneer of SK and Japan for 'credibility'). If you don't, tell them the US will unilaterally strike and that the US 'reserves the right' (popular US govmn't phrase nowadays) to answer nukes with nukes, presumeably starting with one on a CM targeting Kim's ass in whatever bunker/armoured train he's hiding out in.

12. Keep talking forever, eventually nothing will happen which is what we all want. Endless counter-threats like the Cold War, that 'brinksmanship' BS I hated so much.

What to do???
Old April 25, 2003, 09:35   #2
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Like I say; nuke them until they glow, then nuke them for glowing.
Old April 25, 2003, 09:42   #3
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowwHand
Like I say; nuke them until they glow, then nuke them for glowing.
then nuke them a few more times. we can't risk creating radioactive super koreans. hell, they could even be 6 feet tall!
Old April 25, 2003, 09:51   #4
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

No lie. Good point.
Old April 25, 2003, 09:53   #5
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

And as Randy Newman said, short people got no reason to live.
Old April 25, 2003, 10:32   #6
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 20:08
Option 12. Keep talking, but give them NOTHING. Not a single loaf of bread, not a single drop of oil. Nada.

Of course, SK will continue to give them stuff, but that's their choice.

I'd tone down the rhetoric on the US side to a simple "if you harm SK, you harm us, and we will respond. Otherwise, we have no plans to attack you. Full Stop."

And we watch 'em as best we can and try to screw up any attempts they make to sell nukes. This, obviously, is the major issue for the U.S., but I don't see any way of dealing with it short of war. And war in Korea is an extreme option. Giving in (further appeasement) won't stop NK's nuke program. I laugh at anyone who actually believes that if we give them more stuff, they'll play nice.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old April 25, 2003, 13:02   #7
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

What should happen? In any deal struck, we get the nuclear materials and the bombs, a properly intrusive inspections regime run by the IAEA, and they publically renounce thier desire for nuclear weapons.

However, what can be done is another matter altogether.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old April 25, 2003, 13:07   #8
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 00:08
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Make James Nod Movies with them as bad guys to really make them mad, and then see what they do... oh wait, we already did that... o.k. Austin Powers Movies then.

what we really should do is pull out of S. Korea; NK might get so excited they'd nuke themselves...
Old April 25, 2003, 13:12   #9
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 20:08
Quote:
hell, they could even be 6 feet tall!
Old April 25, 2003, 13:50   #10
Q Classic
Emperor

give me or any moderate to conservative skorean a fvcking gun, then drop us off in the vicinity of pyongyang.

we'd take care of it.
Old April 25, 2003, 13:52   #11
Q Classic
Emperor

make that a badass and huge mothafvcking gun.

hell, engrave on it "bad mothafvcker" or "desert eagle .50"... not "replica"