Old July 14, 2003, 05:18   #31
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

Local Time: 02:12
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Bought it in 1994 and played it on my dad's 486 with cd-rom drive! The Game was and still is great. The most annoying thing was when the game asked to look things up from the manual to verify you had original game.

- Paul Valery
laurentius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2003, 09:01   #32
wampre
Settler

Local Time: 00:12
1993. havent been the same since
wampre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2003, 09:05   #33
wampre
Settler

some of the best fun I had with both civ 1 and 2 was putting in my own dialoge. Made dealing with the other civs a blast. Couldnt change the audio dialoge in civ2 but I could change the text that accompanied it.
wampre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2003, 03:52   #34
Sikander
King

Local Time: 17:12
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by wampre
some of the best fun I had with both civ 1 and 2 was putting in my own dialoge. Made dealing with the other civs a blast. Couldnt change the audio dialoge in civ2 but I could change the text that accompanied it.
I forgot about that, it was fun. Of course the first thing to get changed was that opening bit which I spent a lot of time looking at while my 286 labored to create a new game. I still have that machine around, I should take a look at it sometime.
Sikander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2003, 19:27   #35
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

First time I played I thought I had set it to "Play on Earth Map" when I had in fact not. The stranger thing was that the map did bear some resemblence to the world map, so up until I saw the replay I was still trying to find Africa.
:) Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2003, 18:53   #36
Father Beast
King

I think it was early 1998, and I had heard that Civ2 was one of the world's greatest games. I had just got a CD-rom for my thrift store special 386-16, and bought the 2-pack of Civilization and Colonization for 10 bucks, on reputation of the sequel.

I read the entire manual twice before I installed the game, and followed the instructions. Chieftan, 3 players. I found myself on one of two continents really close together, all by myself. I colonzed them both, even getting a couple of cities down in the tundra that would never grow much. my hordes of settlers worked to build zillions of roads and clean up all the pollution my bigger cities inevitably put out.

I eventually built a battleship and sent it out exploring, discovered the persians and french duking it out on another continent on the other side of the world. after some perfunctory bombarding of their ports, I went home and concentrated on building my starship. launched it while the other two were still squabbling.

My first game went so well, my second game was kind of a disappointment when I lost some cities to barbarians, and they started cranking out annoying armies to attack me. by the time I got them wiped out, the zulus were there to give me hell. shaka is one mean SOB....

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn
Father Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2003, 08:08   #37
Cort Haus
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 01:12
Atari ST, roundabout 92-93. The UK magazine 'ST Format' had agitated for an ST version, then put the demo on the coverdisk. (single floppy).

They offered a deal where the full game came with a years subscription. I played the demo and it blew my mind. Done!

The full game was on 4 floppies and I played it relentlessly to the sound track of Sugar's album 'Copper Blue', released about the same time. The best track on the album was 'Hoover Dam', which was, and still is, the game-winning wonder in Civ.

Strongest memory : "Your Civilization makes us laugh. We require the secret of Mapmaking."
Cort Haus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2003, 05:59   #38
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Seen it first at my cousin's place.

later seen it at a friend's place.

learned to play it when we finally had it at home.

nuff said.
Ecthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2003, 14:07   #39
Finvola
Chieftain

In 94 or 95 I started dating this guy and his younger brother used to play Civ I..he showed me the basics of the game and I became hooked. The guy I was dating turned out to be a jerk but I kept going out with him for another few months so I could go over his house, ignore him, and play Civ all day. At the end of 96 I bought my own PC and by that time Civ II had just come out.
Finvola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2003, 17:05   #40
LotC
BtS Tri-League
Prince

I think I'm one of the only ones here that first played it on the Sega Genesis. It was probably around 94 or 95.

Addiction didn't take long to set in. After getting the basics down, I would play all day, every day (familiar story to most here I'm sure). I played the game for months straight, until I secured the #1 spot on the HoF, with 168%.-- All settings hard, start as India on Earth map, beeline for Mathematics for catapults, meet and greet the neighbours to find out who and consequently where everyone is, and go bash. I think that game I won in something like 2900 BC.

I sold the game after that (still regret it) but many hours of Civ2, AC, MoM, and Civ3 ensued in the following years.
LotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2003, 18:45   #41
tonic
King

It was probably some 8 years ago and I think I just got the game by default ie a relative who only played arcade games was given Civ 1 as a birthday present and he passed it on to me.

I just remembered trying it out the first time without reading the manual and got the dreaded RIP playback
tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2003, 05:22   #42
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

I was in the army back then (1991). I was back home, visiting my folks for the week-end, when my dad who is a schoolteacher told me that one of his colleagues (my former math teacher) had started playing this game, and that he was losing sleep because of it.

The week after that, we were in Germany (my parents live only about 150 kilometers from the Danish-German border). I saw this game in a shop, and my father told me this was the game his colleague was playing. I bought it.

My life has never been the same since then.

Asmodean
Old October 17, 2003, 16:09   #43
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 19:12
CIV I for NES.

First game. started as the Greeks. A couple of turns in a roman chariot shows up and demands something. I said no, game over.
Second game. Started as Romans
Old October 20, 2003, 15:33   #44
Brundlefly
Prince

Local Time: 20:12
It was the first turnbased strategy game I had played. Up till then I had only played D&D fantasy type games (SSI Gold Box), which were excellent ,btw..
Brundlefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2003, 22:07   #45
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 18:12
I was introduced to Civ in our Engineering computer lab at college. It was THE reason I bought my first computer.
GhengisFarb™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2003, 23:04   #46
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 20:12
I was 4. My dad got it for my sister, but I got into it too. I remember the first time I got a legion, and the first time I got a horse, (both were goody huts) I remember the first time I got to gunpowder before losing, and I eagerly told her when she got home from school.

I remember my first AC victory.

I remember my first AC victory on emperor level. That was 1993, when I was about 5 and a half. My Germans somehow managed to eliminate three Zulu nukes ("nuclears" they were called) and get my spaceship off before any of my cities was reduced to rubble.

I never won by conquest victory.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2003, 06:18   #47
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 09:12
Quote:
Originally posted by wampre
1993. havent been the same since
Oh that is so well said.

Long Live Civ 1...
Old October 30, 2003, 07:41   #48
Sikander
King

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
CIV I for NES.

First game. started as the Greeks. A couple of turns in a roman chariot shows up and demands something. I said no, game over.
Second game. Started as Romans

Shows what a little experience can do!
Sikander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2003, 17:05   #49
The Viceroy
Prince

Got it from Boots in 1992 (Amiga version) just on the off chance, had a whole group of friends round that evening, and played it until 2am .. I went to bed, and when I woke up at 8am, they were still playing it .. ha ha ha .. All of us still play it today.
Old October 31, 2003, 15:58   #50
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Since we always played the world map, I remember getting hex paper and drew the map on it. We made lots of copies to keep track of huts and finally saw that there was a pattern. DOH.
We numbered the maps (equivalent to the seed number) so once you found a couple of huts, you'd know where the rest were. So yes, we were equally anal back then too.

The funniest thing was finding the sell palace loop hole. You'd sell your palace for 300 and the next city you created would get a free palace. I would build massive settler fields that alternated creating cities/selling palaces and rushbuying settlers to create new cities. You could buy your way to the stars or buy the army to conquer the world in short order. I was happy to see that loop hole corrected in civ II.
Old October 31, 2003, 18:54   #51
Father Beast
King

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
Since we always played the world map, I remember getting hex paper and drew the map on it. We made lots of copies to keep track of huts and finally saw that there was a pattern. DOH.
We numbered the maps (equivalent to the seed number) so once you found a couple of huts, you'd know where the rest were. So yes, we were equally anal back then too.

Good heavens, Rah, I knew you and Ming were competitive, but that's beyond reasonable bounds.

why not just use random maps all the time? too chicken?

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn
Father Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2003, 10:50   #52
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Yes, we were quite competitive. We used the real world map in civI for just that reason. It kept things even. Once CIVII came out we did switch to random maps. But we still had our hut sheets.