Old March 22, 2000, 00:29   #121
edgecrusher

sorry for the lapse, the muse has been unkind to say the least. i put "guardian" h'minee in a scoutship, as a security officer earlier. she is en route to alpha centauri at the moment. it can of course be changed, but i though it odd that the leaders of these two large and warring fcations would both be at the same place and same time with only a colony pod to spare. h'minee will assume 'guardianship' when she reaches alpha centauri, after googlie has his way with his progenitor history and such. after that someone else can take control of the caretakers. the just needed to at least be on their way at this point.

as for the cyborgs, i can whip up something with michael, after all, aki need another probe algorithm since archon was "let go." if there's anything that anyone wants to yell at me for anything, or clarify anything, let me know and i will.

------------------
i've had the poison leak into my skin
and it corroded my heart away
Old March 22, 2000, 21:04   #122
Argonaut
Prince

Local Time: 05:29
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Edgecrusher,
I am happy to leave both the Caretakers and the Cyborgs in your hand. I didn't really know where I wanted to take either of them, I just wanted to see them involved more was all. I didn't pick up on H'mnee being around earlier, but as I only recently got SMACX I probably just didn't realise the name was of any significance.

Dcole-> The battle starts as soon as someone writes it! I don't have any active fighting characters at the moment, but I might be starting something soon. Depends when I get around to writing some new stuff.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2000, 01:22   #123
Dcole78
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:29
ok just didn't know if it was being coordinated or anything..didn't want to mess it up. Next post is coming soon, there you will learn more about the way I see the pirates coming into existence.

Dcole78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2000, 14:25   #124
Hydro
ACDG3 GaiansApolyton Storywriters' GuildSporePolyCast Team
King

Hello SCers,

Sorry for my absence - I have been on vacation.

I’m just delighted at all the authors interested in SC! One item to clear up, though. Are we assuming that the Chiron atmosphere and environment is now Earth-standard? All my posts to this point are true to the original description of Planet, with heavy gravity, high atmospheric pressure, and way too much nitrogen (causing nitrogen narcosis). Also, I have characterized Planet as being on the warm side, with little seasonal variation due to its low axial tilt.

If all of Planet has been terraformed then we really need to explain why and how since it is no small task. We also need to explain why all the native lifeforms on Planet aren’t dead or dying due to the massive change in atmospheric composition. I suspect that the Progenitors would be more than a little ticked off, too, for messing up their experiment on Manifold 6 (not that they are ever likely to be in a good mood).

Thanks,
Hydro
Hydro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2000, 23:46   #125
Captain Kirk

Argonaut sorry if I screwed up things up for you. But I took control of the Believers officialy a while back. It seemed like the SC was pretty much dead. Anyway I might come bakc every so often to work on the Believers.
Captain Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2000, 19:29   #126
Argonaut
Prince

Captin Kirk-> No worries, the Believers are all yours. Like you, I noticed that the Spartan Chronicles seemed to be dying so I thought I would try and liven things up with all the potential characters. But I'm more than happy to stick with the two story lines I've now got going.
Old March 26, 2000, 22:37   #127
Veracitas
Warlord

Bonjour former fellow SCers,

I did not realise that the story would have gone on this long and am actually very impressed. As most of you know, school has wrenched me from any sort of regular writing, but I am glad that everyone else is still keeping things going here.

Bon chance

Ciao,
Veracitas, former Spartan Chronicler
Veracitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2000, 00:45   #128
Dcole78
Chieftain

ok guys second post is up..tell me what you think! The ship was a brain-child I had at the last minute, what would someone opposed with piracy build for his flag ship, why a replica of an old pirate ship of course! I will be going in more to the technical specifics of the ship later....

I also uped it's defense, I know that the highest defense before was not this high ut it made sense to me with everything else that had been going on. I mean a world that has advanced space-flight and Nanomeallurgy and nanominaturization should have the probability sheath defense. I have considered giving some of the ships in my story tachyon bolt weapons but I thought I would check with the other authors on that before I did it since that could lead to secrets of creation and frictionless surfaces. So what do you think would that tech have been researched by anyone?
Dcole78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2000, 23:04   #129
Bearcat
King

Hi guys I had a question on my mind that I'd like to pose. I was wondering if I could maybe write a bit for the Caretakers. I saw the last post with Zzar and thought that maybe you guys were shifting away from the Usurpers. But if it's not such a problem I kind of would to delve into the Caretakers a bit. By the way my e-mail address is frymire@uswest.net if anyone has any advice on how to write for Progenitors.
Bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2000, 11:28   #130
edgecrusher

i like what you're doing, bearcat. keep it up. new post coming up in the next couple of days.

------------------
try to save myself but myself keeps slipping away.
Old May 1, 2000, 23:18   #131
Argonaut
Prince

Googlie-> I need a scene with our new governer (being you) and perhaps Stazi too. It's to do with Roze's new job. Can you cover that, or do you mind if I just borrow them for the scene?
Old May 2, 2000, 00:54   #132
Hydro
King

Googlie,

I’ve missed the machinations you weave that keep SC oh, so interesting! I’m sure Googlie (the character) will be in the thick of things pretty soon. Glad to see you’re back!

Morgan sure is playing nice. Is he really penitent? Enlightened self-interest (the same reason he got into bed with Yang 50 years ago)? Or is he plotting something? Perhaps a quid pro quo? Then again, earning some brownie points might serve him well since he is the closest human faction to the nasty ol’ Progenitors, who are getting a little frisky.

BTW – if I were facing singularity anything I would be building LOTS of native units. So, good old Deirdre holds the upper hand! I’d bet Morgan realizes this, since his fusion plasma garrisons aren’t likely to stand long against attack factor 80 (20 graviton * 4 singularity) aircraft or hovercraft. Lady D will be a tough nut to crack since the Usurpers have –1 Planet, which will be even worse since she has +4 Planet (+1 Gaians, +1 Manifold Nexus, +2 green) if that counts for defense.

Hydro

P.S. – I’ve noticed that Planet rating doesn’t show up on the combat screen for the defense in psi combat. Doesn’t it matter? If it doesn’t than native units are even more important since there isn’t a defense penalty for FM in psi combat.
Old May 2, 2000, 01:11   #133
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 22:29
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Hydro:

Thanks for the welcome - sorry I was away for so long....but I'm back now.

Argonaut - feel free to borrow G and S as appropriate - I'm about to post the "Yalta" conference which will involve Googlie - but Morgan is there too at the meeting to lobby for Sinder.

G.
Googlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2000, 05:30   #134
Vi Vicdi
Prince

Local Time: 23:29
The Planet rating only affects offense, not defense.

Hydro is right to suggest native life as the countermeasure against high-tech things like Gnats. Even with Res Armor the kill ratio for locusts vs. Gnats should be far better than the 8:1 the Needlejets are suffering -- particularly for Deirdre.

Usurpers, meanwhile, have their attack advantage somewhat blunted by their poor Planet rating. A big pile of worms should slow 'em down a bit.

(That's why they call H'minee "Booger". The Usurpers are a far cry from being the killing machine that is The Caretakers ...)
Vi Vicdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2000, 13:32   #135
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

VV:

Only problem for the Axis powers is that the only locust so far encountered on Chiron has been befriended by the sentient lead Gnat

Googlie
Old May 3, 2000, 16:38   #136
edgecrusher

here's a question: if the cyborgs are a splinter group of the spartans instead of the hive, as the originally were, would the cyborgs have a similar agenda, being reared in the ideals of the spartans?
Old May 3, 2000, 20:27   #137
Hydro
King

edgecrusher,

My guess is that the Cyborgs are essentially programmed. After all, the algorithm was simply found in one of Yang's hordes. It could have been found in the detritus of any faction, so it really isn't dependent on Yang or the Hive for its ideology.

Hydro

P.S. - The Usurpers tamed a locust? With a negative Planet rating? Maybe the gnat was programmed by the Caretakers!
Old May 4, 2000, 02:37   #138
Vi Vicdi
Prince

Local Time: 23:29
The Usurpers could have gone Green, giving them a thin but real chance of catching a locust.
Vi Vicdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2000, 22:16   #139
Hydro
King

Hi all,

I noticed Apolyton has a 150 post limit, so I started a new Spartan Chronicles thread. Hope you don't mind.

Hydro
Old May 12, 2000, 10:46   #140
edgecrusher

good to have you back hydro. seems like the chronicles are less than populated at the moment. prolly due to final exams and such.

------------------
And the women once proud Clutched the heart of the crowd
As the boulders smashed down from the mountain's hand
And the Magic in the stare Of the Wild Eyed Boy said
"Stop, Freecloud They won't think to cut me down"

**evil grin™**
Old May 12, 2000, 23:24   #141
Hydro
King

edgecrusher,

Was I gone that long? Hmmm. Maybe I have been slacking lately. I don't have finals so I guess don't have an excuse. Glad to see you're back in action, too!

Hydro
Old May 13, 2000, 19:47   #142
Bearcat
King

Sorry I've been slacking off. I'll try to add more Caretaker stuff.
Bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2000, 14:00   #143
Kinjiru
lifer
The Courts of Candle'BreCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueMacSpore
King

Good lord children. How many posts have there been to the Chronicles? Seems like well over 500.

I never, ever thought this little project would succeed so well. I truly wish I had time to contribute again. You have all made me very proud though.

The media waxes and wanes on the idea of virtual communities, but I think that the Chronicles show that VCs can and do exist.
Keep up the good work everyone!
Kinjiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2000, 21:11   #144
Hydro
King

Kinjiru,

Glad to see you stopped by! You are, after all, the mastermind of SC, so you are always welcome.

The post count is about 590. There are some double posts and deleted posts, so it is most likely in the 525 to 550 range of 'real' posts.

Hydro
Old May 18, 2000, 23:10   #145
Googlie
Emperor

But almost 1500 pages !!

If we paperbacked them there'd be four volumes prolly.

(Hmmm - wonder if firaxis might be interested....)

G.
Old May 19, 2000, 16:58   #146
LightSniper
Chieftain

Hydro, Google and others, i would like to ask you if i could join your little (not anymore i guess) writing crew. My previous writings include the "The crossfire tales", under my old name Cotroneo.

I'm not exactly sure what role i would like to take up, but i prefer the role which doesn't necessarily effect the entire planet, only the individual. For example, a lonely squad of infantry or a single sniper. Something apon that nature.

Although, i have read most of the chronicles and i keep up the best i can, especially now, is there anyway one of you guys can update that summary page u guys wrote a couple months ago, i think.

Appreciate your help, and i would be honored to writing with such a talented group like yourselves.
LightSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2000, 21:30   #147
Hydro
King

LightSniper,

You're welcome to join! There are lots of openings in SC; you just have to identify them. For instance, the Spartan air force (4th Wing) and armor (Rolling Thunder and Lightning Strike) are taken, but the rest are wide open. Spartan military structures could be reorganized to meet the alien threat of the nasty old Usurpers, and that can be modified to fit your need or inclination. Almost nothing has been done with the Hive forces (but they are at a low ebb right now). Also, the Morgan, Gaian and PK militaries are largely undefined and are wide open. All these factions are united as an Axis against the Hive and Marr, so you kind of have your pick. An interesting option is a multi-factional unit, and all the internal and external conflict it might bring (say, a Gaian mindworm, PK shard infantry, and Morgan probe team combo on a 'special mission').

I'm not sure of the SC summary page you're referring to, since there have been several. None (sadly) have been complete or maintained. There are the SC archives (by Korn) that contained a mixture of background, and a more detailed timeline by yours truly. Do you recall the name of the thread?

While consistency with the past of SC is important, it is more important to keep the story line moving forward and interesting. I would recommend downloading Googlie's written version and skimming it if parts of SC seem obscure. But if you have been following since, say, November or so you should be plenty up to speed.

So jump right in! If you have questions then just e-mail any the current authors.

Hydro

P.S. - Personally, I like character development on an individual level. I find it is an opportunity not only to see the world through that character's eyes, but also to explore some of the mysteries around Chiron.

[This message has been edited by Hydro (edited May 19, 2000).]
Old May 20, 2000, 00:06   #148
LightSniper
Chieftain

You know, that multi factional unit is quite an interesting and inventive twist... i may take that up, after some initial posts to "build" up the maincharacter background and so on.

Also, Hydro, i personally think some of your recent posts have been some of the best writing ive seen in a long time, not that all the others haven't been great eithor, but u get my point.

Ill, jump on in, within 2 to 3 days tops, i still have to finish some book for my english classes at school.

Thanks again, and i appreciate the quick response... ill try to dig up that post about the summaries
Old May 20, 2000, 10:15   #149
Hydro
King

Thanks LightSniper!

Sometimes I wonder if my ideas and presentation are ::ahem:: out there. Glad you like them! SC is so large and complicated now that I kind of wonder if anyone follows it anymore, and if I my attempts at prose are the equivalent of looking in the mirror…

Looking forward to your post(s)!

Hydro
Old May 20, 2000, 13:13   #150
LightSniper
Chieftain

Well, theres my first post. I would appreciate the usuall comments on how i can improve and all. I'm sorry that its abit short and lack of information. But i just wanted to set up the character abit.

i also have a question or two.

I'm pretty sure the spartans dropped troops on Social Engineering Den, in one of Hydro's recent posts. Is the base conquered... or is that still to be decided.

Also, the map file, at google's web site, when attempted to be used in the SMACX, a terran x file problem appears, throughing me out of the program. I tried reinstalling the entire smac, but i still have the same problem. Any ideas guys?

oh yea... EdgeCrusher, i really like your writing dealing with the wierd relationship with Yang and Zak. its very cool