Old April 26, 2003, 02:51   #31
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 19:13
Local Date: November 1, 2010
i dont know why, but i see an opening cutscene that ends with BJ Blackowitz saying "no massah" and then killing him. could be a cool game.

PATENT PENDING.
Old April 26, 2003, 02:52   #32
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 20:13
And watch out for those red cloaked Grand Masters .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old April 26, 2003, 02:55   #33
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
And watch out for those red cloaked Grand Masters .
would the KKK members get to say things like the guards in wolf? i don't speak much german but i still remember what the guards sounded like. if i tried to type it out though it would be horrible, so i'll spare you.

mein leiben!
Old April 26, 2003, 03:11   #34
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 17:13
and what's the deal with the silly Europeans not allowing kids in games. Or not allowing kids to be killed in games.

This is why they had to release two different Fallout games. because in Fallout you could kill the kids if you wanted to.

Silly laws like that shows you how leftism goes wrong
Old April 26, 2003, 03:17   #35
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
and what's the deal with the silly Europeans not allowing kids in games. Or not allowing kids to be killed in games.

This is why they had to release two different Fallout games. because in Fallout you could kill the kids if you wanted to.

Silly laws like that shows you how leftism goes wrong
yes. stupid lefists see something wrong with killing children. what the hell is that?
Old April 26, 2003, 03:17   #36
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Silly things in Europe, silly things in America. Someone pointed out that the Swastika is illegal in many countries in Europe, so rather than having to make different versions Paradox just removed the flag. However, they also did not use the iron cross because Johan (the game designer and main programmer) felt it was inaccurate and not historical and didn't want it in the game. He was rather vehement about this.
Old April 26, 2003, 03:19   #37
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

the corss is also present in axis and allies. i made some nazi chips one day cause i was bored.
Old April 26, 2003, 03:22   #38
Imran Siddiqui
staff

That's a funny anecdote, Trip.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old April 26, 2003, 03:23   #39
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

actually most leftists feel it is ok to kill children under certain circumstances (like you are mentally retarded, or just depressed). But that doesn't really belong in this thread, so I won't continue.

Fallout is a role playing game. If I want to role play as a child killer (and you do get branded as a child killer if you kill a child), then I whould be able to.
Old April 26, 2003, 03:25   #40
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Fallout was awesome... though I never became a 'child killer'
Old April 26, 2003, 03:26   #41
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

me neither. I usually play a "good" person. When I go evil I still only kill adults. Mainly "authority" figures
Old April 26, 2003, 03:31   #42
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 02:13
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Anti-swastika laws also prevent the Finnish air force from having it's correct markings - they include swastikas, which date from way back before the Nazis.

Quote:
You never tried to leave a ticking bomb in your inventory when the little rascals at Den would come stealing from you?
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old April 26, 2003, 03:31   #43
Imran Siddiqui
staff

I think there was only one game in Fallout 2, where I played the 'decent vigilante' type. Usually does good, but when needed to accomplish a quest, kick the crap out of someone. It's all for the greater good .
Old April 26, 2003, 03:54   #44
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 16:13
What would you think if I started adding mod_Gingrich to my system and started shooting up likeness of Newt Gingrich?!?! :doitinow!:

Mis Novias
Old April 26, 2003, 04:12   #45
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Space05us
something like that, but fact is an average American wouldnt want to go to Europe and see a guy playing a game where they kill KKK members. We'd all like to forget certain things, but we cant.
Turning guys in white sheets into ghosts in white sheets?

COOL!
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old April 26, 2003, 04:13   #46
The Mad Monk
Emperor

You have to remember, we enjoy re-enacting our own Civil War.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old April 26, 2003, 11:23   #47
raghar
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:13
I WANNA FUNDAMETALISM in Civ. Civ isn't nice without it.
And when we will see some game about 9... It could be fun terrorist simulator. Wipe US from the earth.

There is reason why some of my games would be ilegal is several mostly democratic countries. Some people like laws I like art.
Old April 26, 2003, 11:30   #48
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 21:13
The origins of the swastika:

http://www.luckymojo.com/swastika.html

The nazis just gave it a bad name.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old April 26, 2003, 11:36   #49
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 01:13
The Commando series show many Swastika all over the place. Adds more fun to the game when you knife the Nazi soldiers.
Old April 26, 2003, 11:43   #50
Kropotkin
Emperor

Imran: I'd say you're wrong. Swedish law doesn't state that a swastika in itself is 'hate speech' or something like that. There was a controversial court decision from 1996 that ruled against wearing a number of symbols as a political statement for racial superiority or racial hate. AFAIK it has to do with the german market in this case.
Old April 26, 2003, 11:49   #51
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 03:13
Quote:
That's right. I always just kicked one of them gently, and let cassidy finish them off with the Pancor Jackhammer.
Old April 26, 2003, 12:02   #52
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

I have patched my French copy of Fallout 2 to have children in. It was a possible tweak, although not advocated by Interplay

Edit : in Germany, there are now new laws regarding videogames. The brainless cencorship is to stop, but it is now illegal to sell games to too young children (the legal age changes depending of the game : Civ3 is allowed from 3 years-old on, Counter Strike is only allowed to 18+ people)
Old April 26, 2003, 12:14   #53
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
There was a controversial court decision from 1996 that ruled against wearing a number of symbols as a political statement for racial superiority or racial hate.
How does that contradict my statement that the swastika is hate speech in Sweden and thus can't be used? It is a political statement for racial superiority (ie, hate speech).
Old April 26, 2003, 12:25   #54
Kropotkin
Emperor

It's hatespeech if you wear it on your clothes as a statement for white supremacy etc. It doesn't say something about using it in any other context as in a text book about the war or in a computer game. If it was the explicit intent of paradox to spread ideas about arian racial superiority it would be a problem. Considering how my red army crushed the nazi pigs in my last game that's not the case.
Old April 26, 2003, 12:27   #55
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Yes, but the one main problem is that you can have the Nazis take over the world. I'm sure they didn't want to take any chances.
Old April 26, 2003, 12:31   #56
Kropotkin
Emperor

I would think that they where much more concerned with the german market.
Old April 26, 2003, 12:34   #57
Imran Siddiqui
staff

They may have been, but it isn't like it is HARD to change that.

I mean, they have a German language game, just take out the swastika for that one. I'm sure they were concerned about home laws too.
Old April 26, 2003, 17:55   #58
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
actually most leftists feel it is ok to kill children under certain circumstances (like you are mentally retarded, or just depressed). But that doesn't really belong in this thread, so I won't continue.
I beg your pardon?
Old April 26, 2003, 18:58   #59
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Guynemer

I beg your pardon?
Don't mind Diss, I think he's mentally retarded himself. We leftists should have offed him years ago!
Old April 27, 2003, 00:15   #60
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 11:13
In Grand Theft Auto 3, the Australian version removed sex from the game in a bid to remove sexual violence. You see, you could use a hooker and then mug her afterwards to get your money back.

It is easy to get around though, just by changing your location settings in windows.