Old April 26, 2003, 18:27   #1
Winston
Emperor

Local Time: 02:14
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Greatest upset in history of World Championship hockey?
Just got home and saw that Denmark, in its first appearance in the World Championship ever, beat the US 5-2 in the opening match of their group.

Denmark now leads the group tied with Russia, after their win 5-2 over Switzerland.

Thoughts, reactions, displays of submission from our American friends...?

Old April 26, 2003, 18:30   #2
OneFootInTheGrave
King

Local Time: 00:14

well done Denmark... however is US playing with their 2nd team or is the best team on the ice?

Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good.
Old April 26, 2003, 18:30   #3
Kropotkin
Emperor

The wc in hockey is a mickey mouse competition. Nothing's upsetting about besides the tournament in itself.
Old April 26, 2003, 18:32   #4
Winston
Emperor

OFitG,

I think it's their 2nd team, the NHL finals are on also I think.

Link for those interested to CNN/SI.com's story Denmark stuns US in world Ch'ship
Old April 26, 2003, 18:42   #5
OneFootInTheGrave
King

Local Time: 00:14
Still good luck with the Swiss

Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good.
Old April 26, 2003, 18:49   #6
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 03:14
That was against the odds yeah.. I don't think the US has the team for gold medal, but I think they'll definitely bounce back and get their game together.

This WC games are now more interesting. Some big stars there. Slovakians have Satan.. and other big names. Swedish have Zetterberg, Forsberg, Sundin.. etc.
We have Selänne, Koivu etc..Mickey Mouse tournament? I don't think so! Everyone wants to win, and I see some of the best players here.
Hejduk is coming for Czheks..I see only top scoreres in NHL here.

.. but eventually we will win.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old April 26, 2003, 18:54   #7
Pekka
Emperor

But greatest upset in the history? Not really.. I'd go with Russias team in their home games.. they had like the dream team of history... the best Russian players.. and they screwed it up, losing to Norway etc.. They just didn't get the game going. It was pretty upsetting. They didn't even advance from starting rounds.

I was calculating and I see we will face Sweden in semifinals or finals.. it will be very interesting, since the Swedes have a very good team right now, top notch players from NHL, they really want to win. It will be a classic battle.
Old April 26, 2003, 18:55   #8
Winston
Emperor

Thanks OFitG!

It seems the US are pretty calm apparently. Three of the four teams in the group advance to the next stage.
Old April 26, 2003, 18:59   #9
Gangerolf
Prince

Local Time: 01:14
way to go DK! I see things have improved since last time

Quote:
In the 1949 tournament in Stockholm, Sweden, Denmark lost one game to Canada 47-0, still a record in championship history.
Old April 26, 2003, 19:01   #10
Pekka
Emperor

Yeah, it seems like Denmark has a good chance to advance here.. If they beat or tie with the Swiss they'll prolly advance and get to play more.. and I think their team is pretty much in the zone right now, and their goalie is on too, big time! It will be interesting to see what's going to happen..

But that aside...

GO FINLAND GO GO GO !!!!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	1612.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	43333  
Old April 26, 2003, 19:03   #11
Winston
Emperor

Judging from that score, I think in 1949 Danes didn't even know the rules of the game.

Old April 26, 2003, 19:07   #12
Winston
Emperor

Yes Pekka, if Denmark should somehow inexplicably stumble along the way, let's at least keep it Nordic.
Old April 26, 2003, 19:09   #13
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

Local Time: 17:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Looking at Pekka's picture, I have to wonder if they could have left the child doing the "saftey dance" out of their routine. If s/he is forced to wear a helmut for the performance, perhaps s/he is too young to be among the adults on the ice...

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.
Old April 26, 2003, 19:16   #14
Pekka
Emperor

We keep those little performers in cages, so they don't mind wearing the helmet to get little fresh air.
Old April 26, 2003, 19:35   #15
optimus2861
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:14
World Championships ...

Just a consolation prize for the Stanley Cup losers (like the Leafs )
"If you doubt that an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters would eventually produce the combined works of Shakespeare, consider: it only took 30 billion monkeys and no typewriters." - Unknown
Old April 26, 2003, 21:51   #16
cinch
Warlord

Quiet, Optimus! The WCs are all I have, now that my blessed Oilers are down and out.

Canada blanks Belarus, Denmark shocks U.S.
WebPosted Sat Apr 26 20:25:29 2003

CBC SPORTS ONLINE - Team Canada beat Belarus 3-0 in its first game at the 2003 world hockey championship in Turku, Finland.

Dany Heatley (Atlanta Thrashers), Mike Comrie and Ryan Smyth (Edmonton Oilers) were the goal scorers.

Goalie Sean Burke (Phoenix Coyotes) got the shutout.

In nine meetings, Canada has never lost to Belarus.

Canada's next game is against Latvia on Sunday in Turku.

In other action, Demark pulled off a stunning 5-2 victory over Team USA on Saturday in Tampere, Finland.

A small Scandinavian country with only 4,000 hockey players, Demark is making its return to hockey's elite after a 54-year absence.

In the 1949 tournament in Stockholm, Sweden, Denmark lost one game to Canada 47-0, which is still a record in championship history.

The U.S., which has 12 NHL players but no big names on its roster, outshot Denmark 50-20 but goalie Peter Hirsch made several sparkling saves throughout the game.

On Friday, Team Canada General Manager Steve Tambellini rounded out the roster by naming three more players to the team:

Cory Cross, defence Edmonton Oilers
Steve Staios, defence Edmonton Oilers
Steve Reinprecht, forward, Colorado Avalanche
With the additions of Cross and Staios, the number of Edmonton Oilers players on Canada's roster is six.

Canada's roster now stands at 22 players -- three goaltenders, six defencemen and 13 forwards.

Chris Gratton of the Phoenix Coyotes, who was announced with Canada's first group of players, will be unable to play in the tournament because of a nagging shoulder injury.

Canada won two gold medals in the 1990's at the world hockey championship -- 1994 and again in 1997. Last year, Canada finished sixth in Sweden.

At this year's tournament, Canada is in a preliminary round group with Belarus, Latvia and Sweden.

6 Oilers! Hot damn!

And ya gotta love that preliminary grouping: Belarus (ha!), Latvia (ha ha!), & the Swedes (hm.). Easy sailing!
Old April 26, 2003, 22:21   #17
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Quote:
Originally posted by cinch
A small Scandinavian country with only 4,000 hockey players, Demark is making its return to hockey's elite after a 54-year absence.

In the 1949 tournament in Stockholm, Sweden, Denmark lost one game to Canada 47-0, which is still a record in championship history.
So they were so humiliated that they decided not to play for 54 years after their record-setting loss?
Old April 26, 2003, 22:56   #18
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 19:14
47-0

Who were the players on the Canadian roster?
Old April 27, 2003, 08:24   #19
Winston
Emperor

Will you stop talking about that 47-0 defeat!

Old April 27, 2003, 11:02   #20
Pekka
Emperor

Canda is beating Latvia right now.. So no surprises there. Latvia will still advance I think.. I like their style, even though they haven't had lots of success. They're always better and better. Some day they will become a serious threat..

.. looks like Canada is ripping them apart though, 6-1 already. That's positive though, that Canada is coming hard. Makes the games more interesting when we know they are playing good and are hungry to win, because they don't have super team, but are not giving anything free and are trying to win.. plus they have few good players in the team too, so it will be interesting to see how far they will go. I won't count them out, I think they have a good chance going to top 4, since they always get their act together for important games.

The US is setting up surprise of the games, just losing to the Swiss too.. 0-1. They have only one game to improve the situation and win Russia, and even then Russia must lose to Denmark.. So it's really looking bad to the US right now.
Old April 27, 2003, 15:01   #21
Winston
Emperor

Russia just beat Denmark 6-1.

Pekka, are you saying the US are out then? I think they could still advance if they beat Russia and Denmark beats Switzerland.

I'll have to check on this with the news...
Old April 27, 2003, 15:06   #22
Winston
Emperor

You're right Pekka, the USA are out of the World Cup after two defeats, no matter how their game against Russia goes. Holy Moly! USA will have to play three qualifiers to even stay in the A-zone.

Denmark is through to the next round though and have secured their place in the zone already.
Old April 27, 2003, 15:13   #23
Pekka
Emperor

Yeah, and since Russia defeated Denmark today, the US will drop... But as for Denmark, the game against Swiss is important. They will advance to the next round, and be with 7 other teams.. from 8 teams, 4 will advance. So you want to not be in the other 4 teams. Every point counts..
Old April 27, 2003, 15:14   #24
Pekka
Emperor

Though they're not out of the World Cup.. that's a different tournament .
Old April 27, 2003, 15:20   #25
Winston
Emperor

World Championships. He-he.

Yes, but I believe we have defeated the Swiss before in recent years, so we may have a chance against them - but it will be a thriller no doubt.

Oh, and good luck to Finland against the Slovenians tomorrow!
Old April 27, 2003, 15:29   #26
Winston
Emperor

Just saw that there are actually 6 teams in each group for the next stage - from which 4 teams each (8 out of 12) will advance to the Quarters.

But you're right, every point counts as they are carried over from the preliminary matches.
Old April 27, 2003, 15:33   #27
Pekka
Emperor

Thanks..

Yeah, looking at teams and Denmarks situation.. it's very interesting. Game against Swiss will be very important for both of you, and I think it will be a tough game too.
If you manage to win it, then you're 2nd in your own Group B. Then you play against Group C, countries like Canada, Sweden and Latvia or Belarus. Belarus vs Latvia will decide which one of them will advance, since Sweden just beat Belarus and Canada has defeated them both.

So, the games for you will be against Sweden, Canada and Latvia or Belarus. 4 will advance, so I figure the first 3 will be Sweden, Canada and Russia in no particular order. The 4th place is however very open. Now the importance of the game against the Swiss shows. If you beat them, you have more points than them. Then you play against Latvia or Belarus (I think it'll be Latvia). Latvia has lost both of their games, so they'll have maximum of 2 points in the next round, and you could have 4 points, and then going against them, tie would be enough. Win would take you to Quarter Finals.. That would be pretty awesome for Denmark. That's top 8, and from there on it's one game at a time, loser drops.

Though I think Latvia is a bit stronger, but if you win Swiss.. it will play a big role and you have a chance to go even further.
Old April 27, 2003, 15:35   #28
Pekka
Emperor

Of course it's possible to win Sweden and Canada etc.. but it could be enough to beat the Swiss and then tie with Latvia or Belarus.. Oh wait you have to beat Latvia, I assume that Latvia will win the Swiss too. Well anyway, it will get interesting, and most importantly, you'll be in next year too.
Old April 27, 2003, 15:39   #29
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

Local Time: 20:14
Quote:
Originally posted by cinch
Quiet, Optimus! The WCs are all I have, now that my blessed Oilers are down and out.
You can't find it in you to cheer for your western neighbour?

I always cheered for Edmonton, Calgary, or any other Canadian team (Leafs last ) still left in the playoffs after Vancouver was eliminated (or didn't make the playoffs).
Old April 27, 2003, 15:43   #30
Winston
Emperor

It could indeed be a crucial game against the Swiss, your explanation really highlights that. We shall see, the prospect in itself of playing against teams like Canada and Sweden in the 2nd stage, and perhaps even have a slim chance of advancing further is more than anyone here would have hoped for.

And I agree that Denmark's staying in the zone next year is what really counts. That was the succes criteria beforehand, and the players have already each earned themselves a bonus of € 2,000 (!) for achieving that goal.