Old May 8, 2003, 01:36   #121
Winston
Emperor

Local Time: 02:15
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Grattis to our Swedish brothers on the victory, and my condolences to Pekka and other Finns - who hopefully got an evening of exciting hockey out of it still.
Old May 8, 2003, 02:35   #122
tinyp3nis
Prince

Local Time: 03:15
Greatest upset in history of World Championship hockey?
Yes, here it is. from 1-5 to 6-5. What was the name of the thread again?
Old May 8, 2003, 06:42   #123
Chemical Ollie
King

The 5-5 solo goal by Forsberg will be shown on Swedish TV in retrospective "Goals we Remember" shows 20-30 years from now. If there still is regular TV by then.

Tiny, yes the thread is still very much on topic.

The World Championship has been a B-tournament since Sovjet Union became Russia, but this time it's special, as many of the teams have their greatest stars present.
Old May 8, 2003, 07:53   #124
aaglo
King

"Du gamla, du fria... och så vidare"

Hyvä Ruotsi!
Old May 9, 2003, 17:45   #125
Chemical Ollie
King

SUNDIIIIIIIN! 4-1 to Sweden against the ruling World Champions Slovak Republic. Sundin made two goals and passed to another. The Swedish goalie Tellkvist made a great game too.

This World Championship is highly entertaining. The guys on TV thought this was the best full game Sweden played since we beat Finland in World Cup/Canada Cup 1996, with the exception of the second half of the game vs Finland this Wednesday. This despite that we won the World Championship in 98. After the 98 gold, a full 1% of Swedens population was celebrating with the team in central Stockholm!

On Sunday it's the final vs Canada. They beat us by 3-1 in the group play, so it's our turn to win now...
Old May 9, 2003, 17:51   #126
Pekka
Emperor

Well well.. congrats to Sweden for advancing to finals against Canada. Sweden was impressive neutralizing Slovakias elite wingers and attacks..

Canada was also impressive againast Czechs so.. it will be a good game.

This years games are hardly B-level, lots of stars and good games. I still think the best game (as in quality) was Finland against Sweden, we were dominating completely the first half of the game, but then Sweden made all time comeback.. I don't know, maybe the finals will be better, but it's hard to top .
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old May 9, 2003, 17:58   #127
Chemical Ollie
King

Yeah, the game on Wednesday was one of the most intense games I have seen. Too bad I was alone at home with my wife and kids sleeping, and not in a sport bar, but that could have been a little too exciting. I had a business trip scheduled to Imatra for Wednesday, but I'm glad it was cancelled. Imagine me in the heart of Karelia, 5 km from the Russian border, celebrating the Swedish victory alone in the local bars...

Old May 9, 2003, 17:58   #128
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

Ha! Looks like you have all been lied to! We we never beaten! heres my proof

- Paul Valery
Old May 9, 2003, 18:38   #129
raghar
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:15
CAN vs SWE. If SWE would survive first third of game it could be SWE. CAN have too hot heads.

Second game would be watchable? too. czecks received death threats from their country. And Slowakians are angry after blasting out Palfy by Forsberg. It could be interesting to have secret records of players discusions aftermatch, quite amusing things are talk there.
So it could be fun and repeat of old Playoff or both "teams" would play just for cameras without serios attempts. Hard to tell.
Old May 9, 2003, 22:52   #130
Winston
Emperor

Canada vs. Sweden seems like an appropriate matchup for the final and it should be exciting hockey guaranteed. Fingers crossed for Sweden from here!

In other news, the groups have already been set up for next year's championship in the Czech Republic. In the preliminaries, Denmark will face Sweden, Russia and the Asian representative, most likely Japan. Should be interesting once again.
Old May 10, 2003, 02:40   #131
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 18:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Winston
Canada vs. Sweden seems like an appropriate matchup for the final and it should be exciting hockey guaranteed. Fingers crossed for Sweden from here!

In other news, the groups have already been set up for next year's championship in the Czech Republic. In the preliminaries, Denmark will face Sweden, Russia and the Asian representative, most likely Japan. Should be interesting once again.
Well . . . my fingers are crossed for canada !! canada has played very well against the top teams and registered convincing wins while they seemed lacklustre when playing teams that are not among the traditional powers in hockey.

So is sweden going back to Salo or did tellqvist win the start
Old May 10, 2003, 02:43   #132
Pekka
Emperor

Should be interesting which goalie gets to play. We demolished Salo, so I guess Tellqvist starts, as he did good job against Slovakia.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old May 10, 2003, 18:08   #133
Chemical Ollie
King

Sorry to post a quote in Swedish, but I don't think this news is available in English. It's about some Danish hockey stars arrested for murder! Not from the national team though...

Quote:
Två spelare i ett dansk superligalag i ishockey, 19 och 22 år gamla, sitter häktade misstänkta för mordet på en 27-årig dansk man i torsdags.

Mordet ska ha skett i samband med att de båda hockeyspelarna åkte bil med 27-åringen. Under en rast på vägen mellan Everdrup och Störlinge på Själland sköts 27-åringen med två skott i huvudet. Motivet tros ha varit bråk om en större penningsumma med anknytning till någon form av kriminella affärer, möjligen gällande narkotika, mellan de tre männen.
Polisens uppgift blir närmast att försöka fastställa vem som höll i mordvapnet. Båda nekar. Vid de inledande förhören har 19-åringen i övrigt valt att tiga, medan 22-åringen pekar ut sin kamrat som gärningsman.
Tjugotvååringen påstår att han var åksjuk och stod utanför bilen och mådde illa när skotten föll. Men trots ett intensivt sökande hade polisen ännu på lördagen inte hittat vapnet, pengar eller andra spår som kan stödja 22-åringens berättelse.
De två ishockeyspelarna kan nu närmast sitta häktade i fyra veckor medan utredningen fortsätter.

Av EXPRESSEN.SE/TT
Old May 10, 2003, 20:07   #134
Winston
Emperor

Yes, that's not good news. Except for the tabloids here of course.

But when you read that the three of them were on their way to collect "several hundred thousand kroner", presumably from illegal activities, it's hard to garner much sympathy beyond the feeling of "what a waste".
Old May 11, 2003, 13:03   #135
Jeltz
Settler

OOoooou Canada!
Old May 11, 2003, 13:05   #136
Combat Ingrid
Prince

Local Time: 09:15

I guess the Finns are celebrating now
Old May 11, 2003, 13:07   #137
Winston
Emperor

Did Canada win in the overtime?
Old May 11, 2003, 13:09   #138
Combat Ingrid
Prince

Local Time: 09:15
Yes, but it took like ten minutes to decide whether it was a goal or not. Bad times for the Swedish hockey freaks now
Old May 11, 2003, 13:11   #139
Winston
Emperor

In that case, congrats to Canada - although for once I really rooted for Sweden...

This also means that the new world champions lost their only point in the tournament to... ...yes, Denmark. Which can't be half bad.
Old May 11, 2003, 13:51   #140
cinch
Warlord

Local Time: 17:15
We Did It!

Go Carter!

Take that, Patrick Roy/AllOtherPlayersWhoConsiderThemselves'TooGood'ToAtt endWorldChampionships!
Old May 11, 2003, 14:18   #141
optimus2861
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:15
Quote:
Originally posted by cinch
Take that, Patrick Roy/AllOtherPlayersWhoConsiderThemselves'TooGood'ToAtt endWorldChampionships!

I suppose you'd add Joe Sakic, Mario Lemieux, Chris Pronger, Rob Blake, Adam Foote, Theo Fleury, Eric Lindros, Owen Nolan, Mike Peca, Brendan Shanahan, Jarome Iginla, Curtis Joseph, Ed Belfour, and Steve Yzerman to your "Too Good to attend" list, then?

(waits to see who picks up on the common thread for these players first...)
"If you doubt that an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters would eventually produce the combined works of Shakespeare, consider: it only took 30 billion monkeys and no typewriters." - Unknown
Old May 11, 2003, 14:27   #142
Chemical Ollie
King

Old May 11, 2003, 20:51   #143
raghar
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:15
So you can see what would happen when there are czech refrees.
Was it goal or not thats the question. In fact if they would use microchip and detection devices then there shouldn't be any reason to use camera. You'd know instantly if it was goal or not. IHF is so unsmart.
Old May 11, 2003, 20:54   #144
cinch
Warlord

Quote:
(waits to see who picks up on the common thread for these players first...)
Members of the Olympic Gold Medal-winning team?

Which Patrick Roy also did not attend.

I'm actually glad we had the team we did this year; it's good to see some up-and-comers get to the top via grit & determination.

But I reserve my right to Roy-bash all night long.
Old May 12, 2003, 18:52   #145
optimus2861
Chieftain

^ Got it in one! Yes, Roy didn't attend either (though he did, of course, go in 1998, and was only out-duelled by Hasek by a matter of +/- 2 inches on those shootout goals). Whoop-dee-doo. I'm sure his 4 Stanley Cups are more than adequate consolation prizes. But your post didn't say, "Those who're too good to attend Olympics!" now, did it?
"If you doubt that an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters would eventually produce the combined works of Shakespeare, consider: it only took 30 billion monkeys and no typewriters." - Unknown
Old May 12, 2003, 19:15   #146
cinch
Warlord

Quote:
But your post didn't say, "Those who're too good to attend Olympics!" now, did it?
No, it didn't, but I just mentioned the Olympics as support for my Anti-Roy agenda.

Remember when he got in hot water for spousal abuse?

Zubov, too, I think.

And now Brodeur cheated on his wife... Very sad.
Old May 13, 2003, 20:42   #147
optimus2861
Chieftain

^ Yeah, I remember the spousal abuse thing -- from the sounds of it, he ripped a door off its hinges while pissed off, the wife did call the cops, and because of strict domestic violence laws in CO, they had to take him into custody even though he hadn't actually hit her. Overblown by the Roy-bashers, IMO.

As for Brodeur, I hadn't heard that, and I don't care. It's noboby's business except for he & his wife.

I don't cheer for these guys cause they're stand-up human beings, I cheer for them cause they're great goaltenders . And with 6 Cups between them, the bashers don't have much else to tear them down with, then what they can pull from the tabloids .
Old May 13, 2003, 21:04   #148
cinch
Warlord

Quote:
As for Brodeur, I hadn't heard that, and I don't care. It's noboby's business except for he & his wife.
With his sister-in-law, though! Saucy!

Quote:
I don't cheer for these guys cause they're stand-up human beings, I cheer for them cause they're great goaltenders . And with 6 Cups between them, the bashers don't have much else to tear them down with, then what they can pull from the tabloids .
Yes, it's not fair, really. I guess being a jackass makes one a better goalie.

Look at Tommy Salo: Great guy, always a kind word, always willing to play for country... and it goes in off his head.

I blame the gods.
Old May 14, 2003, 09:39   #149
optimus2861
Chieftain

Hey, I'll be the first to admit that Roy has a super-sized ego, and that it probably contributed to his refusal to play in Salt Lake. That being said, it was downright asinine that Curtis-I've-never-won-a-big-game-in-my-life-Joseph ended up with the starting job by default; I think Roy knew from the start that that's who the Toronto media were shoving on Gretzky & Quinn, so he just said, "Screw it, let them have him." Thankfully Joseph imploded in the first game and Brodeur took things the rest of the way