Old April 26, 2003, 20:28   #1
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 01:15
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The SMAXDG Pbem game mechanics
I know it is still early days, but I thought it would be useful to give old and new participants a thread to discuss how things would operate in a SMAXDG pbem game. So that new participants have an idea of what's involved from lurking to active playing.

For example:
Teams and turns

Frequency of turn.
Team discussion forums: how they might operate for the likely human factions.
Who posts the actual turn? Commissioner? President, Admiral, Dictator.
IRC or email or PM or poly chat
Openness or secrecy in discussion and policy making
RPing
Spying/espionage: legitimate tactics? rules

Areas of common interest.

new members / recruitment
reporting on game / team progress?/ CNN
Rec. Commons we know and love. (Visit at your peril)
General forum/market place/ merchants exchange
Old April 26, 2003, 20:32   #2
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

I mean we need somewhere for Kass ( and Drogue and TKG and Maniac and GT and well me too) to contribute to the game
Old April 26, 2003, 21:06   #3
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 21:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: The SMAXDG Pbem game mechanics
Quote:
Originally posted by Hercules
Frequency of turn.
24 hours is enough IMO
Quote:
They'd be private forums only open to the members. it's up to the team how they operate
Quote:
nobody posts it. it's sent to the teams like a PBEM
Quote:
of what?
Quote:
that's up to the teams i suppose. they can choose what information they want to divulge
Quote:
RPing
Quote:
what do you mean?

Quote:
up to the teams
Quote:
Teams can post what they like i guess
Quote:
of course! how can we go without that!
Quote:
Old April 26, 2003, 21:15   #4
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 00:15
The IRC thing isn't needed in PBEM, spying is about how do you keep members from other teams out of your forum, so you can keep your tactics/place, etc. secret, I think the CNN Herc was on about was a central one, to report on the progress as a whole, as well as individual team ones, and the forum is a place to discuss diplomacy and treaties when we've met in game. At least, that's how I took it

I agree with TKG on what he said, although I think we need rules on forums, on secrecy and on diplomacy first. Remember, this isn't just a normal PBEM, so we may need slightly different rules to compensate. At least we have PtW to copy

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old April 26, 2003, 21:31   #5
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
spying is about how do you keep members from other teams out of your forum, so you can keep your tactics/place, etc. secret
I believe the team leader has to approve all attempts to join the team. that way people from other teams are kept out.
Quote:
I think the CNN Herc was on about was a central one, to report on the progress as a whole, as well as individual team ones, and the forum is a place to discuss diplomacy and treaties when we've met in game.
sounds good

Quote:
At least we have PtW to copy
exactly. so we can just get GT to write all the rules for us
Old April 27, 2003, 04:37   #6
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Each team should have a stickied thread in the ACDG forum for :

1.) Sign-up
2.) Posting "WHO'S GOT THE SAVE!!!!"
3.) Open discussion with allies/enemies
4.) Members list and contact details
5.) Getting in touch when there's no other way
6.) General spam

Also there should be a stickied Planetary Council thread. One member of each team (not the leader, I'd say) is the ambassador to the Planetary Council, and so on and so forth.

Also we need a rec commons of course

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old April 27, 2003, 08:10   #7
Micha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG3 MorganACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG PeaceACDG Planet University of TechnologyCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Team Banana
King

As for the CNN: It would be great to have each team posting its own propaganda point of view as part of a Chiron-world-report or something like that!

Or there will be an independent news agency which gets reports from each team (Director of foreign affairs?) and puts it together. That way one could gather like three different views on a single item, which would enrich the fun factor immensly (IMHO)...
Old April 27, 2003, 08:21   #8
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

I like that idea. As for threads WoA, I am not sure about some, since you shouldn't have diplomacy until you've met in game.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old April 27, 2003, 09:36   #9
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 11:15
I agree with TKG on the points Herc raised in the first post; most of the stuff is up to each team to determine by itself.
Old April 27, 2003, 10:28   #10
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

In a normal PBEM, Drogue, you start with the com frequencies of the other human factions, or am I mistaken? SO we could have diplomacy from the start

-Jam
Old April 27, 2003, 10:42   #11
Method
Emperor

technically we can, but we really shouldn't.
Old April 27, 2003, 10:45   #12
Jamski
Deity

And I thought you were evil

-Jam
Old April 27, 2003, 10:56   #13
Method
Emperor

nah, i just like boreholes and genejack factories
Old April 27, 2003, 11:40   #14
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:15
As it's PBEM, does that mean that the turn is only sent to the "Provost/Chairman/Captain/Prime Function" of the faction in question, or is the file attached in a thread, so everyone of the team, knowing the correct password, can access the turn and suggest things for when the Leader comes on line and can play the turn?
Old April 27, 2003, 12:02   #15
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

I have another question as well. Will we simply allow the standard victory conditions, or add others ourselves (*)? Will we allow cooperative victory of eg two human factions? Will we allow human factions to become submissive pact brothers/sisters (**)?

* I was thinking, to encourage RPG, that an extra victory possibility could be to convince/force all other human factions to adopt your favourite SE choice. For example for the Hive Police State (or Planned if the Hive players want to pretend the Hive to be democratic & Marxist), the University Knowledge, the Pirates Power, and the Consciousness Cybernetic (or Planned if the prerequisite tech for Cybernetic isn't reached yet?).

** This wouldn't force conquerors to destroy all human opposition. Instead they could accept submissiveness (together with for example other conditions such as having to give all your new tech to the conqueror, or having to pay the overlord 100 ec each turn), and the conquerors wouldn't have to destroy every single human base to achieve victory. Also it would leave some hope/fun for the attacked faction. I was also thinking, to prevent all submissives to break the "vassalage" once the conqueror/overlord's armies are mostly gone, or to prevent them breaking the vassalage one turn before the overlord achieves victory, that the vassalage is only broken if the overlord agrees to break it, or if the overlord's faction itself is destroyed. In other words, the vassal simply declaring war on the ex-conqueror wouldn't suffice: the ex-overlord could still achieve victory, and the ex-vassal would not be able to achieve any victory itself before both parties break the agreement.
This achieves a good balance IMHO. A vassalage isn't just a paper agreement, giving it some value to the overlord. And it doesn't make the situation hopeless or completely without fun for the vassal: the faction could conspire together with other human factions to attack the overlord on a moment of weakness, and force him to break the vassalage.
Old April 27, 2003, 13:16   #16
Method
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Maniac
As it's PBEM, does that mean that the turn is only sent to the "Provost/Chairman/Captain/Prime Function" of the faction in question, or is the file attached in a thread, so everyone of the team, knowing the correct password, can access the turn and suggest things for when the Leader comes on line and can play the turn?
i was thinking each team could make an email account at, say, hotmail and give all its members the password. that way you don't have to wait for the >leader< to post the save in a thread, just the team before you to send it.
Old April 27, 2003, 13:38   #17
Jamski
Deity

It's probably best if the save is always posted on 'poly so everyone know's where the game is. Too many people will be involved to go chasing the save around the world. If each team has a password, then its "safe" enough.

-Jam
Old April 27, 2003, 18:23   #18
Hercules
Deity

Quote:
As War of Art and TKG suggest, I think this is the most practical way to progress the game, plus it has the advantage of letting everyone know where the turn is.

These are the mechanics I wished to have discussion, elaboration and agreement on so newcomers and us know the rules.
Old April 27, 2003, 18:52   #19
Hercules
Deity

Ok let's look at this scenario. In August 2003, ArtCake likes the idea of this ACDG and joins the Hive/Drone faction. Womaniac hears about the game on CGN and joins the Green Pirates. War on Static Flames joins the University cyborgs.

After they receive turn MY 2260 they each email each other to discuss options and of course exchange passwords. War on static Flames in reality is ArtCake on a different email system and well, Womaniac is ArtCake also on a different system.
Old April 27, 2003, 18:58   #20
Hercules
Deity

Quote:
I believe the team leader has to approve all attempts to join the team. that way people from other teams are kept out.
What's to stop a player emailing the turn to a rival faction, together with the password.

In light of the example given above is there a more secure way.

Maybe there isn't and it all depends on player's honesty and RP mindedness
Old April 27, 2003, 19:04   #21
Maniac

Quote:
I hope that should be sufficient.
Old April 27, 2003, 19:43   #22
Hercules
Deity

Quote:
Well, as long as each team has more than one person who can play the turn (at the PTW DG each team has three, but that may prove too many here), that shouldn't be a problem too often.
This is the exactly the sort of detail we need to discuss.
Old April 28, 2003, 02:34   #23
Jamski
Deity

We'll have to accept the fact that the saves won't be completly secret - this is a democracy game, and democracy depends on freedom of information. We would know if another faction played our save though I personally would trust the ither factions not to look at the save - even if they did somehow get the password.

-Jam
Old April 28, 2003, 06:42   #24
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 11:15
Quote:
Ok let's look at this scenario. In August 2003, ArtCake likes the idea of this ACDG and joins the Hive/Drone faction. Womaniac hears about the game on CGN and joins the Green Pirates. War on Static Flames joins the University cyborgs.

After they receive turn MY 2260 they each email each other to discuss options and of course exchange passwords. War on static Flames in reality is ArtCake on a different email system and well, Womaniac is ArtCake also on a different system.
The scenario you describe here would: a) be very much against 'Poly rules (no DLs allowed), b) be highly objectonable to any player who has a sense of honour rather than just the desire to win.
Old April 28, 2003, 07:06   #25
Jamski
Deity

I just notziced how funny the name "Womaniac" is.
Woman + Maniac = Womaniac. And ArtCake is one of those words that makes me giggle uncontrollably (I'm at work too - everytime I read it I start again)

-Jam
Old April 28, 2003, 10:09   #26
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 18:15
Re: The SMAXDG Pbem game mechanics
Quote:
I know it is still early days, but I thought it would be useful to give old and new participants a thread to discuss how things would operate in a SMAXDG pbem game. So that new participants have an idea of what's involved from lurking to active playing.

For example:
Teams and turns

Frequency of turn.
There should be a decided day turns are played by each faction... say one certain day every two weeks?

Quote:
The non-essential chatting and RPing could be done in just the main SMAC-DG thread, but perhaps as MarkG how easy it would be to have sub threads for each of the played factions?

Quote:
How about the ambasador... the leader could play the turn, send it to the ambassador of the next faction in turn order, and the ambassador could either post it or e-mail it to the leader.
Quote:
email and PM are my votes, only because I always have trouble connecting IRC and poly chat is just too open IMHO.
Quote:
Here's where somebody's idea about the democratic factions being semi-open on their polices and the non-democratic nations maybe having a Yahoo e-mail list would be a good idea. Sure there go the post count pluses... but it'd be nice to prove DG games aren't just a post count booster.
Quote:
RPing
Just as it has been before, IMHO.
Quote:
Misinformation is key. The democratic nations should be much easier spied upon, but perhaps there just be a news service that the other factions would be honest and only read/subscribe to while leaving the others alone... in fact, in that way Yang's "Information Ministry" could also be available on 'poly.

Quote:

Areas of common interest.

I don't think any faction should actively recruit... if they come, they come. Faction hopping (though not excessive faction hopping) should be allowed as well... obviously if you leave the Hive you won't be welcomed back, however.
Quote:
I like the CNN idea, personally... have one main world news service while this would be reported to by each of the Information Ministers...
Quote:
Might as well just keep the current one running and continue building on top of it. Perhaps there'd be something like the Internet that allows everybody to go to it regardless of faction or it's established in some no-man's land... or every faction hosts it... in an alternating pattern, so that while visiting the Rec. Commons with Yang hosting you need to watch what you say a little more
Quote:
A merchants exchange/market place forum could just be the Rec. Commons since the different marketing ministers would need to chat when credit loans and trade pacts and such occur.

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old April 28, 2003, 10:12   #27
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
since you shouldn't have diplomacy until you've met in game.
There's something I most certainly agree on... so prior to all the player factions meeting the Rec Commons would either need to be seperate for each faction or us not RP game news there. (And for that matter, the Information Ministries of the different factions wouldn't have much to do.)

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old April 28, 2003, 10:14   #28
FlameFlash
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by War of Art
In a normal PBEM, Drogue, you start with the com frequencies of the other human factions, or am I mistaken? SO we could have diplomacy from the start

-Jam
Should probably just go with the standard SMAX PBEM rules as far as those things are concerned... referencing the SMAX PBEM rules on other matters might be wise as well.

Somebody have them handy to post?

Old April 28, 2003, 10:27   #29
FlameFlash
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Maniac
That I like

Quote:
* I was thinking, to encourage RPG, that an extra victory possibility could be to convince/force all other human factions to adopt your favourite SE choice. For example for the Hive Police State (or Planned if the Hive players want to pretend the Hive to be democratic & Marxist), the University Knowledge, the Pirates Power, and the Consciousness Cybernetic (or Planned if the prerequisite tech for Cybernetic isn't reached yet?).
Don't like that.

Quote:
** This wouldn't force conquerors to destroy all human opposition. Instead they could accept submissiveness (together with for example other conditions such as having to give all your new tech to the conqueror, or having to pay the overlord 100 ec each turn), and the conquerors wouldn't have to destroy every single human base to achieve victory. Also it would leave some hope/fun for the attacked faction. I was also thinking, to prevent all submissives to break the "vassalage" once the conqueror/overlord's armies are mostly gone, or to prevent them breaking the vassalage one turn before the overlord achieves victory, that the vassalage is only broken if the overlord agrees to break it, or if the overlord's faction itself is destroyed. In other words, the vassal simply declaring war on the ex-conqueror wouldn't suffice: the ex-overlord could still achieve victory, and the ex-vassal would not be able to achieve any victory itself before both parties break the agreement.
This achieves a good balance IMHO. A vassalage isn't just a paper agreement, giving it some value to the overlord. And it doesn't make the situation hopeless or completely without fun for the vassal: the faction could conspire together with other human factions to attack the overlord on a moment of weakness, and force him to break the vassalage.
That I like...

Quote:
TKG:
i was thinking each team could make an email account at, say, hotmail and give all its members the password. that way you don't have to wait for the >leader< to post the save in a thread, just the team before you to send it.
Not fond of that... but just because I hate hotmail... I suppose if we do something like this I'd prefer hotmail or something else I can check with my standard e-mail program rather than log-in to a website.

Quote:
WoA:
It's probably best if the save is always posted on 'poly so everyone know's where the game is. Too many people will be involved to go chasing the save around the world. If each team has a password, then its "safe" enough.

-Jam
I like this as well, though e-mailing it to the faction hotmail address would be nice as well. Unless there'd be a turn tracking thread like standard PBEM games... perhaps as MarkG about how many turn attachments are allowed... it'd be nice to have all of them available in one thread and at the end of the game post passwords just for the fun of it, but that's something we can consider later.

Quote:
Hercules:

If we really have to worry about that, it's not going to be any fun for any of us anyway. We've got to give everybody the benefit of the doubt and if information that shouldn't be known is posted by somebody about another faction, the fellow faction members that spot it should report it to the hurt faction and just ban the player from the game.

Cheating in this kind of thing should not be tolerated, but likewise unless we're all honest there's no way to keep it in check.

Quote:
WoA:
I just notziced how funny the name "Womaniac" is.
Woman + Maniac = Womaniac. And ArtCake is one of those words that makes me giggle uncontrollably (I'm at work too - everytime I read it I start again)

-Jam
mmmm.... ArtCake... mmm....

Old April 28, 2003, 10:31   #30
Micha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG3 MorganACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG PeaceACDG Planet University of TechnologyCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Team Banana
King

Quote:
it all depends on player's honesty and RP mindedness
exactly.

If someone e-mails you internal information of another section you can report him. If the spy only spies for his own and doesn´t let anybody know about it, he has no fun but noone else is affected.

I don´t see any problem with that!