Old May 14, 2003, 14:41   #61
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 00:15
Local Date: November 2, 2010
With the password, I think it is safe enough. We would know if another faction messed around with it, and we have Googlie watching it. I think it is fine in a thread personally.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old May 14, 2003, 16:57   #62
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 01:15
Quote:
Then all members would have to wait on the designated player to come on-line, to be able to have a look at the
latest turn.
Fair point

Quote:
We would know if another faction messed around with it
They wouldn't mess around with it but if they could open it they would have some degree of inside intelligence. I am not thinking about now but about six months or more down the line.

I am just reflecting on the idea, a bit of devils advocating.
Old May 14, 2003, 17:23   #63
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Very true about the infiltration. Maybe if someone defects, Googlie, being a member of all factions, can check that they don't access it.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old May 14, 2003, 17:30   #64
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

There is another point re playing the turn which is to some extent unique to a team pbem.

If 3 or more people open the turn but only one to actually play it, the non players can experiment, explore and probe, test diplo with the AI, etc and then suggest courses of action based on the results of their findings (it wouldn't effect pod popping of course). In normal pbem, it's like iron man, no going back. Playing the game as we propose opens us to that form of abuse above. The final choices made will not feature as a replayed turn.

It is a bit like playing ahead. I suspect it is untraceable and I suppose it was possible in the 1st SMACdg and it didn't alter the course of events much.

So is what I describe possible. If not, no problem. If so, do we live with it. Is it to be condoned. Is it to be ruled out of order. Is it not a major issue ie it is on a par with the stockbuilding and reverse engineering tips. Should we permit it. Should we self police it as best we can.

I am looking for clarification so as to advise our Peace loving Pirate faction on their peaceful expeditions and explorations.

Move over C Darwin.
Old May 14, 2003, 17:44   #65
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:15
That's indeed a valid problem which can't be solved as far as I know. You simply have to make a choice: Either you allow all team members to access the save file, which makes discussing easier, but allows some cheating = a form of playing ahead and testing. The other option is you only let the team player play the game. However, unless someone can think of some solution, that would make it almost impossible for the team members to participate in the game. The team player would have to post dozens of screenshots for the other team members to make some sense of what's going on.

However most of the time I believe this is a minor cheat. The only time this will have serious consequences is when there's a major war between two human factions. For example a Hivean non-team player could patrol his faction's borders with a needlejet, the only one the Hive has, checking out for invading Pirate ships and transports. He could reload until he has patrolled the entire area. Now THAT would be serious cheating, as it would make sneak attacks quasi impossible. There the only solution is self-control and fair-play as far as I can think of.
Old May 14, 2003, 18:03   #66
Hercules
Deity

Well summarised Maniac and I tend to agree.
I hope we could all sign up to something like a fair play charter.

Anyhow the other purpose of the posting was to draw to player's and leader's attention that we are aware of the cheat, but please refrain. Serious and / or frequent breaches, I think can be detected, but I won't disclose how.
Old May 14, 2003, 19:24   #67
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

If the one noodle goes straight 12 tiles into the unknown and attacks the only transport foil without AAA, then we might get suspicious

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old May 14, 2003, 19:58   #68
Hercules
Deity

Exactly
Old May 14, 2003, 20:03   #69
Vev
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human Hive
King

Local Time: 10:15
Reminds me of a WWII incident.

The Brits have cracked the Germans transmission of U-boats movement. To keep the Germans clueless of this knowledge, a plane is first sent to 'scout' the U-boat (whose position is already known) then another plane is sent to sink it. There was an incident where they couldn't be bothered with the 'scout' and bombed it anyway. To prevent the Germans from figureing out what happened, the Allies concocted a story that they bribed an offical somewhere for the information and hence how they 'knew' the U-boat location.
Old May 15, 2003, 03:21   #70
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

I thought this story was made up by that R. Harris chap that wrote Enigma If you've heard it from somewhere else, then it might be true.

-Jam
Old May 15, 2003, 04:35   #71
Vev
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human Hive
King

Local Time: 10:15
Now you mentioned it, I have no idea if it is true or not.
Old May 15, 2003, 05:25   #72
Jamski
Deity

Quick Comrade! - Print it in PRAVDA, then it will surely be true for all time.

-Jam