Old April 27, 2003, 08:34   #1
hardjoy
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 01:17
Local Date: November 2, 2010
barbarian leader captured
I find that with the 'goody huts only' setting, barb leaders pay off zero gold.

Is there a way to set the value of barbarian leaders without having barbarians roaming the scenario at random?
Old April 27, 2003, 09:11   #2
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

In a word, nope

What you could do is change the text to state that a set amount of money is given (when in fact it isn't) and have an event trigger upon the death of the unit without any text.

Sent you a PM as well.
Old April 27, 2003, 09:25   #3
hardjoy
Prince

Nice tips, Henrik -I am using the barb thingy for wrecks stranded on coasts in my Armada scenario.

The wrecks appear after the great events-provoked change-terrain storms....
Old April 28, 2003, 11:33   #4
Elok
Emperor

Local Time: 20:17
Local Date: November 1, 2010
You could, using the jerk-around mentioned in Keenan's Barbarian paper, limit barbarian uprisings to horsemen and chariots, and change those units to immobile settlers, which would therefore give money when killed. You could limit the numbers of such wrecks by setting it to "roaming tribes." I'm not sure about the feasibility of such a plan within the constraints of your scenario. Hope I helped somehow.
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old April 29, 2003, 10:15   #5
hardjoy
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Elok
You could, using the jerk-around mentioned in Keenan's Barbarian paper, limit barbarian uprisings to horsemen and chariots, and change those units to immobile settlers, which would therefore give money when killed. You could limit the numbers of such wrecks by setting it to "roaming tribes." I'm not sure about the feasibility of such a plan within the constraints of your scenario. Hope I helped somehow.
I did end up removing gunpowder from the tech tree, limiting the roaming barbs to horsemen and chariots like you describe.

I didn't plan on using the slots for the wrecks though (they are event-generated), but its an interesting idea, since it'll make the wrecks appear more at random. Unless they begin to appear in mountain regions far from any coastlines, which is less reasonable. Maybe this idea works better for the barb pirates. Btw, I suppose you mean immobile diplomat units.
Old April 29, 2003, 14:01   #6
Elok
Emperor

Local Time: 20:17
Local Date: November 1, 2010
No, I meant settlers, though diplomats or trade units work just as well. While the unit won't look like a barbarian leader(or maybe even show the message-I'm just going by what I read somewhere) unless it's in the diplomat slot, any barbarian unit with a role greater than 4 gives cash when captured, I think.
If you don't want 'em appearing inland, you could make them coastal invasion units and change the frigate to "storm at sea," or something. The only problem is that they'd be able to move. You can very rarely win with civ2, I'm afraid.
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."