Old April 27, 2003, 10:02   #1
Hydro
ACDG3 GaiansApolyton Storywriters' GuildSporePolyCast Team
King

Local Time: 00:17
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Bloom Inoculation Question
I’m role-playing my Morgan to be a vapid industrialist, reaping the fruits of Chiron without regard to eco pollution. This is a new situation for me since in the past my eco pollution was more or less planned, and coincided with the construction of tree farms and, later, hybrid forests. However, due to the irritations of a semi-random tech tree in my Morgan PBEM game these techs are out of reach (for now – they are at most 3 techs away: Eco Eng, Env Eco, and maybe Adapt Eco; my tech agenda is set to Build/Explore).

My question is does the mineral production inoculation caused by fungal blooms accrue before the construction of tree farms? If it doesn’t then I am doing myself a disservice by causing all the problems if the production boost doesn’t equal the terraforming disruption. I hope it is because I will be having lots of fungal blooms soon, and just had my first one at Morgan Mines (hehe – apt name, that! Lots of mineral production there!).
Old April 27, 2003, 14:28   #2
Lazerus
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStates
King

Local Time: 01:17
If i've understand you correctly yes fungal bloom pops do raise the clean mineral limit, in fact you need one to occur before tree farms can start their work raising the limit.
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old April 27, 2003, 21:54   #3
Hydro
King

Lazerus,

I could have just looked at my base eco damage and figured it out, I guess. After two blooms my eco damage at Morgan Mines went from 23 to 6 (foolishly, I didn’t check after the first bloom). I have been harvesting the same quantity of minerals. So, let the blooms come! Well, let them come until I get really clobbered and the destruction starts seriously eating into my ability to fix it (I have WP, so that is not too hard once I remove the fungus).

Thanks for the head’s up, though!
Old April 27, 2003, 22:44   #4
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Let them bloom to a point. Unless you are the lucky holder of Weather paradigm too much eco damage may start the dreaded sea rise. Sounds like your a bit away from the techs allowing you to raise terrain without WP.

Prolly' 5-7 blooms and your still OK just as long as you don't aggravate the ecodamage situation by massive gassing.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old April 28, 2003, 08:31   #5
Lazerus
King

i tend to try and get 4 or 5 pops in the same turn early on just as a good start, then i slow it down to around 1 pop every 3 or 4 turns since the worms will start appearing around then. This slow down usually lets you get enviro economics in good time and start building the tree farms so you wont get too many worms, on the other hand if you've got centuari empathy and have built the WP then just pop all you like and have a few empath rovers waiting.

You shouldnt really fear sea rises, make the other factions work twice as hard as you
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old April 28, 2003, 08:48   #6
Hydro
King

I do have WP, and have only 2 pops so far. I'll keep a close eye on eco pollution with subsequent pops - more minerals are good! This will be especially true when I finally get Env Eng and mineral restrictions are lifted (bumping minerals from 2 to 4 at mines peppered all over my territory). I expect a new round of pops then.

As far as tech goes, I have the highest tech rate by a factor of 3, but I'm having to research the build techs myself - other factions are pursing other venues. My semi-blind is set to Build/Explore to optimize my chance at key build techs such as Eco Eng and Env Eco.
Old April 28, 2003, 12:56   #7
Qualicide
Prince

Just build pressure domes and watch the cpus drown.
Old April 28, 2003, 13:58   #8
Hydro
King

What? And lose all my precious boreholes? Perish the thought!
Old April 28, 2003, 18:10   #9
CEO Aaron
ACDG3 Morgan
King

Unless I'm greviously mistaken, Sea level rise is not derived from Fungal POPs, rather from the total amount of eco-damage contributed by ALL factions, so if you want to generate continuous fungal pops to boost your clean mineral limit, not to mention the cash derived from planetpearls, then pick _one_ base and crank the eco-damage rating to 30 or so. This will leave one base with a 1/3 chance of a fungal pop each turn, with virtually no rise in sea levels. Sea rise gets you when you have 15-20 bases with 5 eco damage each. The likelihood of fungal pops are fairly low, but with your total faction-wide eco-damage at 75-100, you start seriously flirting with global warming, especially if you have another faction or two donating a similar amount of ecodamage from _their_ bases.
Old April 28, 2003, 19:27   #10
Lazerus
King

So thats why i get a sea rise every 5 years later in the game when I've got around 70 bases polluting the air
Old April 29, 2003, 06:37   #11
fluffy
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Qualicide
Just build pressure domes and watch the cpus drown.
Interestingly enough, you never need to build pressure domes, as the game will automatically add them to bases above a certain size (3, I think) if they are about to be engulfed - try it and see!
Old April 29, 2003, 19:53   #12
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 18:17
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by fluffy

Interestingly enough, you never need to build pressure domes, as the game will automatically add them to bases above a certain size (3, I think) if they are about to be engulfed - try it and see!

Yes but you lose quite a bit of population from the base that was flooded out and I thought but am not certain that you lose some facilities as well. I generally don't let my bases sink so I am not sure of this
Old April 30, 2003, 08:58   #13
Static Universe
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Flubber

Yes but you lose quite a bit of population from the base that was flooded out and I thought but am not certain that you lose some facilities as well. I generally don't let my bases sink so I am not sure of this
I believe you lose 4 population to gain the pressure dome, but anyone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old April 30, 2003, 12:12   #14
Clear Skies
Prince

If you use governors *ducks behind barricade*they sometimes figure it out and start building them, but they're not very good at it...
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old April 30, 2003, 14:40   #15
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Static Universe

I believe you lose 4 population to gain the pressure dome, but anyone please correct me if I'm wrong.
4 population seems to be what I recall as the 'flood loss' but I believe some facilities are lost as well

Clearskies

GOVERNORS ??!!

( was that the reaction you expected?)
Old April 30, 2003, 15:25   #16
Clear Skies
Prince

That would be the reason for the barricade, yes
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old April 30, 2003, 15:54   #17
CEO Aaron
ACDG3 Morgan
King

Clearskies, next you'll be telling us to put the terraformers on automatic. :P
Old April 30, 2003, 16:12   #18
spartak
King

Old May 1, 2003, 08:29   #19
fluffy
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Static Universe

From my experience I don't believe this is true - I don't remember losing any population points or facilities to gain a pressure dome: they just appear as the base becomes a sea base. Are you getting a message when your bases are inundated?
Old May 1, 2003, 12:48   #20
Clear Skies
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by CEO Aaron
Clearskies, next you'll be telling us to put the terraformers on automatic. :P
Even I don't get that fed up with micromanagement