Old April 27, 2003, 19:13   #1
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 00:18
Local Date: November 2, 2010
UN Delegate
As some of you know, Akiria has had an endorsement problem. As such, and due to it still not being able to be fixed, Akiria has left the UN. However, in it's place, Zetaris has joined (and re-endorsed those that it had before, plus a few extra who I thought deserved it). If you want to have a look at Zetaris, here is its http://www.nationstates.net/cgi-bin/...aris]UN Report and its RP and Details.

I, as Zetaris, would like to launch a bid for Delegate, as I feel disillusioned with Guardinia. Nothing against Guardian, who has done well, but he simply is not active very much. You will all remember a few days ago when Marijuani was our delegate, how much more discussion and debate there was. It was more active, and more fun, IMHO. I like his nation, and I think he's a nice guy, but surely we, with over 40 UN nations to choose from, can have someone more active.

I am someone who is very active, I have a long history with this region (I founded it ;-) and I have been delegate before. If election, I promise to bow to the will of the people, I will be more easily contactable, and will start more debates, not just on the current resolution, but also on proposals. I will be active on the forum, and will post to get us into the NationStates White Pages. I will also be active on the region pages, starting discussions about UN matters.

If you do not want to endorse me, that is obviously fine, but I think Apolyton deserves a more active delegate. It greats a more active forum, and I would hate to see this region fall because of inactivity (just look at the amound on nations ceasing to exist, and those being quite).

Thank you all And if you wish, please endorse me

I do not wish for this to seem personal against Guardian. It is not. I like the guy, and his nation, and I agree with many of his opinions. This is simply a thing about activity. The delegate needs to be active IMHO, and I want to keep this region going well, and as vibrant as possible.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old April 28, 2003, 06:05   #2
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 02:18
I agree that Apolyton deserves a more active delegate. I tried in the beginning, but it didn't last long and I sadly don't have the time to make a proper comeback either. Consequently, I fully understand and I really don't mind if you guys want to find someone else for the position. As a matter of fact, I was somewhat surprised when I suddenly found myself back in the spot after just a few days, especially after all that discussion and "action" you guys managed to crank up during those few days with somebody else in the position. No offense taken, and I'm willing to endorse Zetaris. As a matter of fact, I'm going off to do so right now!
Old April 28, 2003, 08:21   #3
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

Thank you Guardian. That is very noble of you. And thank you for your (continuing) time as delegate. Even if sometimes in spirit, you have always meant well, and voted with consensus

Last edited by Drogue; April 28, 2003 at 16:57.
Old May 3, 2003, 14:53   #4
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

We would also like to express an interest in becoming delegate again.

Guardinia has done a fantastic job, and I have much respect for his work, but I feel that my libertarian philosophies and inclination to include everyone may help in the delegates position.

Drogue also has much experience with becoming delegate, and is historically very much more active on Apolyton, although I would like to say that I am also becoming more active. For those that havent already guessed, my nation is Marijuania. I am perhaps somewhat more libertarian than Drogue.

Whoever becomes delegate, as long as they are reasonable close to me in terms of ideology and capable of doing the job in a clear, transparent and libertarian manner, has my full support.

As delegate, I would act in exactly the same way I did last time round. This involves asking for the general opinion of the region, and then voting with that. This would mean sometimes voting against my own personal position, but I recognise that as Delegate, I would have an objective job to do. When expressing views, I make clear whether they are my own personal views, or those of the delegate, usually in this format:

text

Objectivity is very important to me, and this would be reflected in my delegacy.

As a libertarian, I have a philosophy called "The Mill Limit", to which I will include a link on a new thread as soon as the article is complete. In short, this is the point of maximum liberty, and is also the fine line between tyranny by majority and tyranny by minority.

As I conduct myself in that manner, I would never use the new power to evict nations from the region. Done on my own whim, I would have turned into a tyranny by minority. To act in this way is to breach the Mill Limit of that nation, and done with the support of the region, would in fact turn me into a tyranny by majority.

To any other delegate or possible delegate, I ask you to adopt that position, as it allows for greatest objectivity and liberty in the region.
Old May 3, 2003, 18:14   #5
Whaleboy
Prince

sorry that didnt display right...

{personal opinion}

text

{/end personal opinion}
Old May 4, 2003, 08:27   #6
Drogue
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by elijah
I would never use the new power to evict nations from the region.
So if a nation joins our region, and decides to spout something like "homoz suks", simply repeating it 20 or 30 times a day, thus meaning we cannot read any messages on the bourd, you would not evict them? If a nation decides to only hurl personal insults at everyone, again,so often that we can't read anything else on the bourd, you would not evict them? I have seen both of these happen, and in both cases, it has resulted in the majority of people leaving the region, and the region effectively dying. Is this preferable to evicting one nation?

These are examples of the only occasions I would use the kick nation, but if it comes to it, it is necessary. I urge you to reconsider your blanket policy. In the name of our free speech, which won't count if we cannot read the board.

Old May 4, 2003, 15:11   #7
Whaleboy
Prince

hmmm ok, fair point. In that case, I would require the overwhelming support of the region, and retrospectively, a bloody good argument from the accused why he or she should not be evicted.

Perhaps in that case, it should be run as a trial?

Any other ideas, I am very much open to them!
Old May 5, 2003, 14:08   #8
Drogue
staff

Run as a trial I think is a great idea If such a thing were to come about, the court would be happy to hear it.

Old May 5, 2003, 14:45   #9
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 16:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Sorry elijah but your postion on not wanting to evict nations does not sit well with me. We need that power in the case that Drogue pointed out or other times, when a nation is causing trouble for the rest of us. Yes it should be used with care, and using the court I think is a great idea, but we most also realize that a nation that spouts off insults and such most like wont come to the court or agree to it, and most like just spout off more insults.

Jackson will support Drogue as the new UN delegate. Though the nation of Jackson is not a member of the UN, mainly because of their tendency to vote in stupid laws and we do not want these forced opon our nation.
Old May 5, 2003, 16:24   #10
Whaleboy
Prince

Drogue: We are in agreement then. As delegate, I would not use the power to evict nations arbitrarily, but I would comply with the results of a trial, if a verdict of "guity" is leveed, then I would evict the nation.

Jack_www: If a nation does that, then then plan that I have would involve a trial. If a nation doesnt attend or agree, that is irrelevent, for we can try them in their absense. If they wish to put forward a defence, then that is their right. One assumes that by moving to the Apolyton region, they come under the juristiction of the court if they commit something that could be regarded as a "crime".

Any other ideas, I am more than open to them. It does seem that this trial idea is something of a good compromise, I do recognise that other nations dont live by the Mill Limit, and I have to respect that, as part of the objectivity of being the delegate.
Old May 6, 2003, 09:27   #11
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 19:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
"As you may have seen, people have been calling for Guardinia to be replaced.
Even Guardian has said that he is not active enough to be delegate."

I agree.
While appreciative of the effort, I believe it's time for a change.
Old May 7, 2003, 03:46   #12
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 02:18
Well, it looks like Zetaris is finally poised to take over the delegacy, with 21 endorsments against my 17. UN update is still "pending", but it's really just a matter of time now... I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you all for your support during my period, and good luck to the new delegate!
Old May 7, 2003, 05:03   #13
Drogue
staff

Zetaris is now UN Delegate

Thank you for supporting me, I will do my best to be fair and democratic.

Any ideas for resolution would be greatly appreciated