Old April 27, 2003, 23:42   #31
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 02:19
Local Date: November 2, 2010
1. Pixies - Doolittle: THE best Pixies album. Enough said.
2. Firewater - Psychopharmacology: I've been naming the latest Suomithreadis according to the songs in this CD. I love it. Everyone should listen to it.
3. Pixies - Surfer Rosa: First couldn't really get into it, then did. Gigantic-River Euphrates-Where Is My Mind? combo is pretty hard to beat, but also has some clunkers, meaning it's not defeating Doolittle.
4. CMX - Aura: I'll always describe CMX as the Finnish Pixies, and this is definitely CMX's Doolittle. It's even got a monkey in the cover. They don't sound exactly like Pixies, 'course, but that's not the point. You can't but love the tango-rock in Nainen Tanssii Tangoa.
5. Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables - my first album love. If I'd be asked to quote one song line from any album I love, I'd probably answer "Efficiency and progress is ours once a more/now that we have the neutron bomb/it's nice and quick and clean and gets things done".
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Last edited by Stefu; April 28, 2003 at 00:36.
Old April 27, 2003, 23:46   #32
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 18:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
NOFX - The Decline

1 song on it, but it's oh so perfect.
Old April 28, 2003, 00:16   #33
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 19:19
In no particular order:

1. Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables - Dead Kennedys. Seminal hardcore album, lead the revitalization of punk after the New Age movement started. Some of the greatest lyrics/vocals (by Jello Biafra) in all of music. How can you not love an album starting out with a song called "Kill the Poor"?

2. Sandanista! - The Clash. Amazing combination of punk, reggae, new age, pop, and even some rap. A triple-album, which the members gave up royalties to, to make it affordable for us.

3. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin. Greatest blues-rock album ever. Drugs didn't **** up Plant's voice yet.

4. Subterranean Homesick Blues - Bob Dylan. Dylan goes electric! But has lots of great acoustic songs. Like "Mr. Tambourine Man." Most of Dylan's albums are great, but this is just awesome.

5. Beggar's Banquet - The Rolling Stones. Has "Sympathy for the Devil," does it need anything else? Well, the rest of the album is great anyways. Lots of blues rock goodness.

6. Willy and the Poor Boys - Creedence Clearwater Revival. As always, great songs everywhere. It has "Fortuante Son." Gotta love their rockin/blues-grassy revision of r&b.

7. Back in Black - AC/DC. Greatest metal album ever. "You Shook Me All Night Long!" Again, fine songs abound. Double guitars, tight playing, great vocals.

8. Ride the Lightening - Metallica. Fine, fine thrash. Perhaps the best thrash album ever. When it's slow, it's as complex and layerd as classical, when it's fast it rocks like hell.

9. The Beatles - The Beatles. Brilliant, magnificent, one of the greatest albums of all time.

10. Fear of a Black Planet - Public Enemy. Best rap album ever. There wasn't all of this copyright crap restricting mixes back in the day. Songs were actually constructive comments about liberation rather than gangsta crap.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old April 28, 2003, 00:23   #34
cinch
Warlord

Local Time: 17:19
to Ramo & Stefu for "Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables". Definitely a seminal work. It was my "first album love", also.

I haven't listened to Dead Kennedys in a while, for some reason... but I still have great respect for Jello Biafra.

How do you guys feel about "Plastic Surgery Disasters"? Personally, I think it rivals "Fresh Fruit...". 'Moon Over Marin' & 'Halloween' are probably my two favourite DK songs.

"Frankenchrist" is a fairly good album; nowhere near the quality of the first two, but it still has merit.

"I can see your eyes/ I can see your brain/ Baby, nothing's changed!"
Old April 28, 2003, 00:33   #35
cinch
Warlord

I would also like to declare my love for the following:

"Dark Horse" George Harrison
'Maya Love, 'Dark Horse', 'So Sad', 'Jai Sri Krishna'... All head-sticker-inners. He made the best of the 70s scene. His cover of 'Bye Bye Love' is not to be missed.

"We're Only In It For The Money" Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention
I am not a Zappa-maniac by far, and don't claim to be one, so you'll forgive me if my tastes in his music aren't as sophisticated as some. I really, really like 'Take Your Clothes Off When You Dance'.
Old April 28, 2003, 00:38   #36
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 02:19
Quote:
How do you guys feel about "Plastic Surgery Disasters"? Personally, I think it rivals "Fresh Fruit...". 'Moon Over Marin' & 'Halloween' are probably my two favourite DK songs.
Halloween's great, Moon Over Marin's transcendent, but FFfRV has Kill The Poor, California Über Alles and Holiday in Cambodia. I mean, can't beat that. Just can't.
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old April 28, 2003, 00:39   #37
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 08:19
1) The Band's Last Waltz
2) Bruce Springsteen - Darkness on the Edge of Town
3) Laurie Anderson - Home of the Brave
Old April 28, 2003, 00:40   #38
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

cinch, I'd actually say that Frankenchrist is a bit better than Plastic Surgery Disasters. Sure, it was slower than everything else they did, but makes up for it with songs with great melodies and awesome lyrics, like in "Soup is Good Food."

But this is all relative since I love all of their albums.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old April 28, 2003, 00:44   #39
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 08:19
Quote:
Originally posted by Berzerker
The Grand Illusion - Styx
I Robot - Alan Parsons Project
Man, I haven't thought about those albums for years. The Grand Illusions was one of the first albums that I bought.

Have you listened to them lately? Do they still hold up over time?
Old April 28, 2003, 02:09   #40
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 16:19
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
#1 - Soundgarden - Superunknown.

and the rest in no particular order...

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin 2
STP - Purple
Opeth - Still Life
Korn - Self Titled
Pearl Jam - Vitalogy
Beatles - Rubber Soul
Alice in Chains - Dirt
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Soul Coughing - Ruby Vroom
Old April 28, 2003, 02:27   #41
devilmunchkin
Warlord

Local Time: 00:19
1) AntiChrist SUperstar - marilyn manson
2) Lateralus - TOol
3) the Fragile - NIN
4) the downward spiral - nin
5) edward scissorhands - danny elfman
"Speaking on the subject of conformity: This rotting concept of the unfathomable nostril mystifies the fuming crotch of my being!!! Stop with the mooing you damned chihuahua!!! Ganglia!! Rats eat babies!" ~ happy noodle boy
Old April 28, 2003, 02:55   #42
Static Universe
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 18:19
1. Beastie Boys - Pauls' Boutique
2. Bruce Springstein - Born To Run
3. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Old April 28, 2003, 06:52   #43
Bas
Prince

Local Time: 01:19
In no particular order:

Husker Du - Zen Arcade
Tool - Aenima
Tool - Lateralus
Soundgarden - Superunknown
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
Old April 28, 2003, 07:19   #44
Richelieu
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 20:19
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Rush - Moving Pictures
Supertramp - Breakfast in America
Genesis - Duke
Old April 28, 2003, 08:20   #45
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

Supertramp - Breakfast In America is GREAT.

Also, if we're going to nominate Kansas for anything, let it be their debut, please!
Albert Speer
Old April 28, 2003, 08:35   #46
Tolls
King

I doubt any of the ones I'm going to mention below will rate as "best album ever", but since I class that as "high replay value" here's the albums that have ended up on my tape deck / CD player the most...

Elvis Costello – My Aim Is True - definitely the top one on my list (which reminds me...I need to replace the tape and get the remastered CD).

Dexys Midnight Runners – Searching For the Young Soul Rebels - forget Kevin Rowland's over large ego, and the collapse of the band after this...this is THE DMR album, not that pseudo-folk pap Rowland did next.

The Stranglers – Rattus Norvegicus - I really don't think anything needs to be said...better than No More Heroes.

Talking Heads – Stop Making Sense (either really, but the full version in preference) - in my mind the best live album...and the film's excellent as well.

The Specials – The Specials - the best of late 70s Ska. The follow up's good (More Specials) as well.

The Divine Comedy – A Short Album About Love - Neil gets to play with a full band. So what if it's only 7 tracks long...they are 7 very good tracks.

...and finally...this is sort of an extra since it only came out last year, but it has found its way onto my CD player a number of times, and just seems to work for me:
The Polyphonic Spree – The Beginning Stages Of…
Old April 28, 2003, 08:55   #47
The Templar
Prince

No Order

Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Run DMC - Raising Hell
Human League - Dare
Carmina Burana - Eugen Jockum/ Deutsche Grammophon

Each Innovative in its own way.
Old April 28, 2003, 09:19   #48
Daz
Prince

Ok here we go....

The Clash - London Calling
Michael Jackson - Thriller
The Cramps - Date with Elvis
David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust
Stone Roses - that lemon album...
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Theres more weird music probably only I like, but I wont bug you with that...
Old April 28, 2003, 10:37   #49
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Surely that's part of the point. Oh well.

I made a top 10 list a couple of months ago, wish I could remember all of it, but I'll just improvise one together.

1. The Kinks - The Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society (1968): Impeccable theme, gorgeous yet simple arrangement and production, only good songs... Unmissable.

2. The Paragons - On The Beach With The Paragons (1967): Super hits and should-have-been-hits package from the most thoroughly excellent Jamaican group ever.

3. David Bowie - Scary Monsters... And Super Creeps (1980): Bowie tries introspection for once with spectacular results. Lyrically my favourite album.

4. Modern Lovers - Modern Lovers (1972/76): Punk starts here. Jonathan Richman is the god of nerds.

5. The Stooges - Fun House (1970): Punk starts here. Oh wait, I said that for the last one didn't I?

6. Missy Elliott - Under Construction (2002): Perfectly constructed Timbaland beats in their most perfect collaboration to date. Still more potential there.

7. Phil Spector (et al) - A Christmas Gift For You (1963): The textbook, man, the textbook.

8. Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska (1982): Just him, an acoustic guitar, a harmonica and, er, a glockenspeil. Gotta love it.

9. Aaliyah - Aaliyah (2000): Okay, so I love modern, Timbaland-produced soul.

10. The White Stripes - Elephant (2003): Brilliant. We've entered a new renaissance of great music, I tell ye!
Old April 28, 2003, 10:53   #50
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Springsteen-Born to Run

No particular order

Yes - Relayer
Sex Pistols - Never mind the Bollocks
The Clash - The Clash (green cover)
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Led Zep - All of them

Special Mention

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath, Paranoid
AC/DC - Highway to Hell
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old April 28, 2003, 10:58   #51
Tolls
King

Ahhh...Bowie.
I knew I forgot someone.

Hunky Dory for him.
Old April 28, 2003, 11:04   #52
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

1.) Dark Side of the Moon-Pink Floyd

2.) Led Zep II -Led Zep

3.) Born To Run-Bruce and the E-Street

4.) Grand Illusion-Styx

5.) Bat out of Hell - Meatloaf

6.) White Album - Beatles

7.) Paranoid - Black Sabbath

8.) Let it Be - Beatles

9.) Chicago II - Chicago

10.) Two for the Show - Kansas

Just realized that I am showing my age by this list! Oh well...the Sages told me my Golden Age was over.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old April 28, 2003, 13:12   #53
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

My personal favorite Bowie song is "Five years"... I don't know why.

Snapcase - I can easily imagine you loathing all of Kansas' work after their debut album, but have you heard their debut album?
Albert Speer
Old April 28, 2003, 13:22   #54
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

No.
Old April 28, 2003, 13:57   #55
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

It blows all their other stuff out of the water - pretty cool rock and roll album actually, I remember it having extremely few prog rock elements at all.
Albert Speer
Old April 28, 2003, 18:21   #56
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 03:19
Yh Uh! Almost forgot this excellent album now pumping in my system and really getting into my spinal tap..

Herbaliser - Blow Your Headphones.. jeesh, every track is awesome. Really cool mellow beats.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old April 28, 2003, 18:24   #57
Drake Tungsten
Deity

I can't believe I forgot about "Thriller".
Old April 28, 2003, 18:36   #58
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

1. Beatles- Revolver
2. Beatles- Help!
3. NOFX- Punk in Drublic
4. Eels- Electro-shock Blues
5. Beatles- Rubber Soul
6. Bad Religion- The Process of Belief
7. Dead Kennedys- Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables
8. Beatles- Abbey Road
9. MXPX- Slowly Going the Way of the Buffalo
10. Beatles- White Album

This doesn't take into account Classical recordings, of which there are too many great ones to list.
Old April 28, 2003, 18:40   #59
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 03:19
I see electronic grooves and atmosphere is not very popular here.. you infidels.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old April 28, 2003, 18:44   #60
cinch
Warlord

Hey, it could be argued that Eels makes use of electronic grooves.