Old April 27, 2003, 22:55   #1
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 12:19
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Starting the game FINALLY!
Right. This has all been delayed too long for my liking. The poll result for colour seems to be Black, and that is what it will be unless there is a shift in the next day.

As far as what we call ourselves, there is no time for further debate on such a small thing. I, and many others, want to start. Thus I have PMed the Ministers to determine the best time for a chat midweek. The chat will be between 1700-2000GMT Tuesday (1200-1500EST) or from 0800-1400GMT Wednesday (0300-0900EST). Hopefully in the normal course of events VP WhiteBandit will do these midweek turns at a time more convenient for all the East Coasters/Europeans, and I will do them on the weekend at a better time for you guys, but for now I want to start.

I am suggesting we just call ourselves something like Odin of the Apolytonians (Apolytonian) and start. If you have a better idea on a name - let us know now - no more discussion.

It is time to begin!

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old April 28, 2003, 00:24   #2
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 21:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Hurray!
Old April 28, 2003, 01:18   #3
Octavian X
Civilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HivePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy GameACDG3 GaiansC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 18:19
Odd, I was under the impression that we would actually impleament a constitution and whatnot before we began...
Old April 28, 2003, 02:48   #4
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Octavian X
Odd, I was under the impression that we would actually impleament a constitution and whatnot before we began...
In the spirit of expedience, we are proceeding under the NewCon while a newer version is drafted. Hence the elections to begin with...

Besides, MrWIA is anxious to become our leading despot!

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old April 28, 2003, 03:28   #5
WhiteBandit
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 16:19
Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx

Besides, MrWIA is anxious to become our leading despot!
Not if I can help it! :-D

Also, to note my schedule for holding chats, to make it easy for MrWIA:

Optimal chat times.

Mondays/Wednesdays, anytime before 12pm PST.
Tuesdays/Thursdays, anytime after 3pm PST
Fridays, all day

MrWIA, let me know what days/times you want to work out with me or if you have an emegency or something and need me to fill in on a weekend, we'll see what we can do.

(04/29/2004) [Trip] we will see who is best in the next round ; [Trip] that is why I left this team ; [Trip] I don't need the rest of you to win |
The solution to 1984 is 1776! | Here's to hoping that GoW's military isn't being run by MasterZen: Hehe! | DaveRocks! or something. ;)
Old April 28, 2003, 06:13   #6
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 02:19
hi ,

thursday afternoon would be the best , this way a lot of people can be there

have a nice day
Old April 28, 2003, 06:57   #7
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 17:19
panag knows this because he asked everyone that has signed up for the game...wait...he didn't ask me...

I wonder where he got his info from? Has panag been speaking to the Iraqui Minister of Information?
Old April 28, 2003, 07:39   #8
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Local Time: 20:19
MWIA - sounds good. As does Odin of the Apolytonians.

Chat timing will be a bit difficult for those of us who work during the day here in North America. But I appreciate the trade-offs involved - so I say if it works for the folks who need to be there - go for it.

And BigFree - watch what you say about Ministers of Information.
Old April 28, 2003, 08:39   #9
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 19:19
I happen to have a test on wednesday, from 2-3. but i have told MWIA that it's alright if he wants to start without me. Tuesday is alright.

also, i have stated before that i have finals:
DSA Mon 5/5 3:00-6:00pm
IDS Fri 5/9 8:00-11:00am
Calc Fri 5/9 3:00-6:00pm

if we have a turnchat on wednesday, would anyone (Aggie, mitchell) want to step up as a deputy?

edit, times are EST.
Old April 28, 2003, 09:01   #10
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

OK, I have received PMs from all Ministers. GenTac cannot be there anytime, Uber has also said likewise (just above). WB has posted here, and only UnOrthO can make it, and to the graveyard shift time of 0300-0900EST (0800-1400GMT). Since he is Domestic Minister, perhaps the most important position at the very start, this is the time we start.

I hope to start at 1000GMT/0500 EST/1300 Israeli time/2000 AEST/2200 NZT (my time) on Wednesday the 30th of April.

Again I apologise to all for this horrible time in the north, but I want this game going. Once this one is done, we can establish a routine of WhiteBandit doing midweek at a reasonable EST/GMT time (perhaps 1800GMT...?) and me doing weekends (say Saturday evening 2200GMT/1700EST..?).

Sound fine?

Oh, I almost forgot - the chat will need to be run in DALNet until Poly chat gets back on its feet again as the java chat they have temporarily is rarely very good and may crash with many in there at once. I will post shortly on how to get into this room, and what it will be.

Old April 28, 2003, 09:10   #11
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Chat. Time. From. Hell!!!

Looks like you and me get to have some fun, MrWIA.

/me begins chanting 4. A. M., 4. A. M., 4. A. M.

I THINK that is now 0600 for the eastern folks with daylight savings kicked in, otherwise I may actually need to get up a few minutes early for a 3AM start.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Last edited by UnOrthOdOx; April 28, 2003 at 09:17.
Old April 28, 2003, 09:17   #12
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 01:19
Sorry to ask this, but: what exactly do you mean by 'GMT'? Do you mean the time that Poly considers as GMT, or do you mean BST (British Standard Time) ? Here, in Europe, we're on daylight savings, which is now GMT +2 instead of (normally) GMT +1.

edit: The Poly GMT time is wrong!
Old April 28, 2003, 10:06   #13
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

By GMT I mean the recognised GMT, not Poly time (what IS that?), not daylight saving influenced - I mean the time reported as UTC or GMT in this link .

London is currently GMT+1. New York is currently GMT-4. Los Angeles is currently GMT - 7. I am currently GMT+12.

I gotta stick to this. UTC and GMT do not change due to daylight savings, and I can never keep track of when the Nth hemisphere goes to daylight savings. Plus GMT is 12 hours behind me, so I can figure out the time instantly, instead of remembering that EST is me -17, PST is me - 20..... midnight here is midday GMT - so easy!

Old April 28, 2003, 10:19   #14
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

5AM Wednesday morning? i only see 5am if i'm playing civ all night

again, anyone wanna step up and be a deputy? free hats.

you have my original order, S, E for the scout. after that though it's pretty much up in the air. in the event of nobody wanting to wake up at said godforsaken hour, i'll just give you some generalized heuristics for ym orders.

the scouts should try to hop from mountain to mountain to maximise the visible area (ie, we shouldn't move NE on turn two unless we see something worth doing it for). if the land to the south seems hospitible, or if we see a coast, i'd like to explore it as soon as possible. if said lande is crap, follow the rivers and use the scouts moves effectively.

all my heuristics can be overruled in the event that something extraordinary is found, ie, we see 4 cattle after going on the mountain, we see some luxuries, etc etc.

use your judgement and all should be well. we're not orchastrating any major wars yet
Old April 28, 2003, 10:41   #15
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

OK - good policy. The Poly clock says "All times are GMT + X hour" but it should read "All times are GMT + (X+1) hour" (in my case, anyway).
Old April 28, 2003, 13:17   #16
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

I'd help uber but that is 5am for me..
Aggie
Old April 28, 2003, 13:50   #17
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Wimps. It's 4 AM for me...

Wake up and smell the morning air, nice and clean and cold...

(I've also been waking at 4 AM every morning since I was 8, though, a bit used to it by now)

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old April 28, 2003, 13:59   #18
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Are we going back to the same chat room we used before on DalNet?
Old April 28, 2003, 18:41   #19
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by BigFree
panag knows this because he asked everyone that has signed up for the game...wait...he didn't ask me...

I wonder where he got his info from? Has panag been speaking to the Iraqui Minister of Information?
hi ,

nope , panag asked no-one , just an easy conclusion , thursday is may the first , a lot of people are home from work or shool , ..... on wednesday the people who hold jobs have to do last minute things in the office , etc , ....

thats why it would be logical to have the chat on thursday or friday , ....

have a nice day
Old April 28, 2003, 21:08   #20
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Where in the world and why in the world is May 1 a holiday?

yes GF - #civ3dem shall be wheeled out of storage on DALNet for our first chat, and successive ones until Poly chat is operational again.

Old April 28, 2003, 21:11   #21
Kuciwalker
Deity

Isn't May 1st the anniversary of some commie revolt? Something like that.

It may also be Veteran's Day in the US I forget
Old April 28, 2003, 22:28   #22
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
May Day Hardly a major holiday, and certainly not a statutory one.
Old April 28, 2003, 23:15   #23
Octavian X
Civilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HivePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy GameACDG3 GaiansC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Wow... 4:00 AM in the morning. Maybe if I go to sleep now, I can jump in about three hours after the chat has begun...
Old April 29, 2003, 03:08   #24
BigFurryMonster
Emperor

Quote:
May 1st, called May Day or Labour Day, is now a holiday recognized in almost every industrialized country; a few exceptions are Canada, the Netherlands, South Africa, and (oddly enough), the United States. It is also a major holiday in the Communist countries.

source: Wikipedia.
Old April 29, 2003, 11:52   #25
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

In the US, Labor Day is the first Monday in September. People often go out of town this weekend as it's the unoffical end of summer, especally those without school aged children. Like almost all holidays, most of the US population doesn't spend time thinking about why the holiday came into existance and instead just parties, with in the case an emphasis on an outdoor BBQ for those not going camping, Historically schools used to always start after Labor Day and some still do, but most now start in mid to late August to ensure that finals are the last days before the Christmas break instead of right after New Years so the kids will get better grades on the finals. The more common it is for a snow storm to close schools in December, the more likely the school district is to start in mid rather than late august.

How US celebrates holidays:

1. New Year Day: Getting drunk starting New Year's eve, but contining into the new year. Waking up with a major headache late morning.

2. Easter: Easter Egg coloring and hunting for those with kids.

3. Memorial Day, July 4th, and Labor Day: Camping and BBQs. In addition, fire workers from the Saturday preceeding July 4th thru the Saturday following July 4th, even in areas prohibited by county or city ordance.

4. Thanksgiving: Probably the closest to the original spirit as this is the most likely holiday for families to get together.

5. Christmas: Starting in the middle of October, a time to go shooping for family members and close friends, getting into deep credit card debt.
Old April 29, 2003, 13:27   #26
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

yes GF - #civ3dem shall be wheeled out of storage on DALNet for our first chat, and successive ones until Poly chat is operational again.
hi ,

most european countries , ..... ( guess why )

have a nice day
Old April 29, 2003, 14:20   #27
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Interesting - we have the same holidays as the US, just at different times in some cases. All but Thanksgiving Day - our closest equivalent is Waitangi Day, which is the National Day as well.

Anyway - look at the top for a post detailing exact turnchat stat time and how to get to the chatroom. It will be up soon. See some of you there. To everyone who can't make it I'm sorry - you will be able to make the weekend one.

Old April 30, 2003, 23:20   #28
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Interesting - we have the same holidays as the US, just at different times in some cases. All but Thanksgiving Day - our closest equivalent is Waitangi Day, which is the National Day as well.

Anyway - look at the top for a post detailing exact turnchat stat time and how to get to the chatroom. It will be up soon. See some of you there. To everyone who can't make it I'm sorry - you will be able to make the weekend one.
hi ,

time on the weekend one

have a nice day