Old April 28, 2003, 21:21   #31
Lincoln
King

Local Time: 00:20
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I work at a summer youth camp, do electrical and plumbing work and build houses. This will all change shortly though as I hope to move to Thailand in the next few years. Maybe I will teach English part time to Thais.
Old April 28, 2003, 21:27   #32
Richelieu
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 20:20
Local Date: November 1, 2010
First few jobs were for Kmart, Peoples, Zellers etc... Then 6 years for the local distributor of Coca-Cola putting cases in trucks and on delivery.
One year underground in a gold mine, 2 years for a small industrial construction company - 50/50 in the office and on site. That's where i got to work on a PC (a Mac actually) for the first time. So in the late 90's when the gold market crumbled and the regional economy went south, i did the same thing. Moved south to Ottawa and took a one year computer course.
I've been working as an SAP Basis consultant for a couple of years now. Nothing in common with mining.
Old April 28, 2003, 21:31   #33
yavoon
Warlord

I sleep with supermodels before runway shows to relax them.
Old April 28, 2003, 21:36   #34
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 17:20
I'm a Geologist and I work for a very large employee owned firm here in California where I assist in doing environmental remediation work and scientific report writing. One of these days I'd like to get my Master's Degree and maybe even start my own business, but, those two are on my long term to do list along with writing a book which no one will read.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old April 28, 2003, 22:14   #35
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
... along with writing a book which no one will read.
I can relate. I want to record music that no one will listen to.
Old April 28, 2003, 22:39   #36
Tiamat
Apolyton Legend

I used to be a receptionist administrative assistant now I pay for my life by being married. I have joined the ranks of the few who let their husbands pay for their life (by his choice)
You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran
Old April 29, 2003, 00:16   #37
MattyBoy
Prince

Local Time: 10:20
I work as a mathematician and software development guy at a place where they invest big sums of money in shares on behalf of others.
Old April 29, 2003, 00:48   #38
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiamat
I used to be a receptionist administrative assistant now I pay for my life by being married. I have joined the ranks of the few who let their husbands pay for their life (by his choice)
I know it's none of my business, but I don't think you should be buying into that. My brother and his wife had the same deal happening in their marraige, and I personally feel she was short-changed by the arrangement.

At one point they were both working and contributing, and I think she was much happier for it. A few years back, she ended up on anti-depressants, and I personally think she could have avoided that by just getting out and meeting people in a work environment.

She was always a very social person, and staying at home looking after the house and the kids wasn't necessarily the best thing for her. She finally ended up getting a part-time job doing homecare for elderly people and shut-ins, and I think she became much happier for doing that.

And I get the distinct impression that you're feeling at least a hint of resentment. I could be wrong of course.
Old April 29, 2003, 01:32   #39
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 19:20
I leap out into moving vehicles and sue the drivers.

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old April 29, 2003, 01:56   #40
Koyaanisqatsi
King

Local Time: 20:20
Quote:
Originally posted by orange
I leap out into moving vehicles and sue the drivers.
I tried that; didn't work as well as one would hope.

I'm working for an assistant curator from the Guggenheim on building a collaborative art/teaching environment.

(Should be an article coming up on it in the NYT in the next couple of weeks...not sure when yet. Although they have been saying it might be bumped because somebody else is having an opening that week as well. We'll see.)
Old April 29, 2003, 02:43   #41
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 18:20
I am a TA

I have done a REU, Work Study (many different areas), a cannery, a Pizza Place, a couple of others

Jon Miller
Old April 29, 2003, 03:10   #42
Tiamat
Apolyton Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Willem

I know it's none of my business, but I don't think you should be buying into that. My brother and his wife had the same deal happening in their marraige, and I personally feel she was short-changed by the arrangement.

At one point they were both working and contributing, and I think she was much happier for it. A few years back, she ended up on anti-depressants, and I personally think she could have avoided that by just getting out and meeting people in a work environment.

She was always a very social person, and staying at home looking after the house and the kids wasn't necessarily the best thing for her. She finally ended up getting a part-time job doing homecare for elderly people and shut-ins, and I think she became much happier for doing that.

And I get the distinct impression that you're feeling at least a hint of resentment. I could be wrong of course.

Well I think for me I'm on the nicer end of the deal I have had to work two jobs for most of the last ten years being a single mom with three daughters. I've always worked my entire adult life so this for me is a treat. Besides it really does work out beautifuly for me because Steve works nights so this way I can be on his schedule. It also allows me to spend some time with my friends and family a bit more. So for me for right now it's a good deal. But I do miss being in the working world I think simply because I did it for so long. But make no mistake taking care of a house, husband, kids, bills etc......is work.
Old April 29, 2003, 03:10   #43
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I'm a tech. I work with my hands.

Other than that I'm just a shrewd person. I alway have money to buy what I need (except a Dodge Viper- but I'm getting close)
Old April 29, 2003, 03:11   #44
Rogan Josh
Prince

Local Time: 01:20
I do research on particle physics at the world's largest particle physics lab in Geneva.

It is a bit of a weird job, because no-one ever checks up on me - I choose my own ours and could basically stay at home for a year or so before anyone would notice. The problem is that it is a fixed term contract, so if I don't work hard and produce results no-one will ever hire me afterwards.

To be honest, I am getting a bit sick of it. I had always imagined proffesional scientists to have integrity - to do their research not for their benefit but for the benefit of mankind, or some such rubbish, and their love of the subject, their curiosity about how the universe works. But it's not like that - everyone (with a very few notable exceptions) is very corrupt - even the system is corrupt. It isn't about how good your research is - it is all about how many (and which) arses you lick. Most of the high up guys have lost sight of why they ever took up particle physics, and now it is just about self-glorification.

If I don't get a long term contract at a university soon, I am going to quit. The problem is, I have absolutely no idea what I would do (at the ripe old age of 31).
Old April 29, 2003, 03:14   #45
Kramerman
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Willem
I used to be a marijuana grower until some stupid ***** drove her mini-van into my basement and put me out of business. Soon I'll be trying to become a cook again, something I used to do many, many years ago.

memories...
Old April 29, 2003, 03:22   #46
Kramerman
Prince

I tutor part time, and will hopefully be getting some sort of job at Austin Energy, which is nearby where I will be attending school this summer.
Old April 29, 2003, 03:30   #47
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 14:20
i don't know if you guys should be putting this stuff up....ppl could do some research and steal your identity online?

anyway, I'm a student. soon to grad and then go for my masters....but i'll probably look for work first. Like I've said, I want to fight terrorism socially. I want to go to Thailand too for the cheap clothes

My dream job would be managing a social reconstruction company in third world countries.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old April 29, 2003, 03:35   #48
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

I am a bloated plutocrat and rootless cosmopolitan.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old April 29, 2003, 03:35   #49
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 08:20
I’m a senior English editor for a quasi-government organisation. This being a government job, I have no say over what gets printed. Everything has to be approved by about 10 people. Each person thinks that he/she is a brilliant writer, editor and an expert in the English language. They all believe that a dictionary is just a general guidebook that doesn’t really have to be followed.

All of this used to drive me up the wall until I realised that I am not an editor, I am editorial consultant. If things get screwed up, it ain’t my fault. This is my mantra. It doesn’t work very well, but it helps reduce the stress of seeing things go to pot.

On the plus side, the money is really good and I don’t have to worry about being laid off.
Old April 29, 2003, 03:36   #50
Tiamat
Apolyton Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Kramerman
I tutor part time, and will hopefully be getting some sort of job at Austin Energy, which is nearby where I will be attending school this summer.
Austin Energy?!? Are you in Texas?
Old April 29, 2003, 03:37   #51
Alexander's Horse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Frankychan
i don't know if you guys should be putting this stuff up....ppl could do some research and steal your identity online?

Old April 29, 2003, 03:41   #52
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 14:20
I'm paranoid....okay?
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old April 29, 2003, 03:47   #53
Alexander's Horse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Tingkai

On the plus side, the money is really good and I don’t have to worry about being laid off.
I see you have developed the right zen attitude for a long and fruitful career in government

Old April 29, 2003, 03:55   #54
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Rogan Josh
I do research on particle physics at the world's largest particle physics lab in Geneva.

It is a bit of a weird job, because no-one ever checks up on me - I choose my own ours and could basically stay at home for a year or so before anyone would notice. The problem is that it is a fixed term contract, so if I don't work hard and produce results no-one will ever hire me afterwards.

To be honest, I am getting a bit sick of it. I had always imagined proffesional scientists to have integrity - to do their research not for their benefit but for the benefit of mankind, or some such rubbish, and their love of the subject, their curiosity about how the universe works. But it's not like that - everyone (with a very few notable exceptions) is very corrupt - even the system is corrupt. It isn't about how good your research is - it is all about how many (and which) arses you lick. Most of the high up guys have lost sight of why they ever took up particle physics, and now it is just about self-glorification.

If I don't get a long term contract at a university soon, I am going to quit. The problem is, I have absolutely no idea what I would do (at the ripe old age of 31).
get tenure at some university

I am sure there is lots of politics there also

hopefull waht they say about the difficulty to remove those with tenure is true, though, and the ass kissing has limited duration

Jon Miller
Old April 29, 2003, 03:58   #55
Lord Merciless
Warlord

I'm currently living off my wife's expense.
Old April 29, 2003, 04:14   #56
Alexander's Horse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Merciless
I'm currently living off my wife's expense.
I'm heading in that direction.

Mrs Horse is very hard working, God bless her

Old April 29, 2003, 06:14   #57
Rogan Josh
Prince

Local Time: 01:20
Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Miller
get tenure at some university

I am sure there is lots of politics there also
With the way funding for science is, this is not very easy. Also, getting tenure doesn't have much to do with your research record - it is all about who you know, and how many papers you have written (it doesn't matter if they are shite or not - quantity is regarded as more important than quality). You also have to be very careful where you take tenure. I have seen lots of good physicists leave the feild because they coldn't get tenure.

I wasn't really meaning politics in the lab - I was meaning politics in the field. It doesn't matter where you are based, people will be out to get you (in a non-personal way).

Quote:
hopefull waht they say about the difficulty to remove those with tenure is true, though, and the ass kissing has limited duration
It isn't true. It depends completely on the university. Some groups (eg. Columbia) hardly ever continue tenure jobs. After 5 years they just let you go. And since you have spent a lot of your time teaching (tenure track always gets a high teaching load) you didn't have much time for research and your career is over.

The groups with good tenure records always get the most applications of course.
Old April 29, 2003, 06:29   #58
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiamat
Well I think for me I'm on the nicer end of the deal I have had to work two jobs for most of the last ten years being a single mom with three daughters. I've always worked my entire adult life so this for me is a treat. Besides it really does work out beautifuly for me because Steve works nights so this way I can be on his schedule. It also allows me to spend some time with my friends and family a bit more. So for me for right now it's a good deal. But I do miss being in the working world I think simply because I did it for so long. But make no mistake taking care of a house, husband, kids, bills etc......is work.
Well I'm certainly not knocking stay at home moms by any means, for some women it's the perfect thing. But it's not for every woman that's for sure. And I just have to take umbrage at some guys who insist that their spouses live in an Ozzie & Harriet world, even though it's not right for them. That's how it was with my brother and his wife. He insisted, she obeyed, even though I know she would have liked to get out into the work place and be her own person. Fortunately, they eventually came up with a compromise.
Old April 29, 2003, 07:06   #59
Daz
Prince

Quote:
I'm paranoid....okay?
Franky... for a paranoid person you gave away the location of your imperial base far to easy....

I mean how big is Hawaii.... Chewbacca is on his way....
Old April 29, 2003, 08:37   #60
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 03:20
A leach on my family, And a part-time political activist for the Israeli Social Democrats.