Old April 29, 2003, 17:01   #61
Kramerman
Prince

Local Time: 18:20
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Tiamat

Austin Energy?!? Are you in Texas?
Yes, i used to have it next to my Avatar. Ive lived in San Antonio most of my life (literal only blocks from where Lefty scavela had his Illuminati thing several months ago, i wanted to attend just to meet Poly people, but i was pretty new to the forum then and didnt really know anyone, nor did i know how to play Illuminati, heh). Ill be moving to Austin this summer to go to school (UT) and get a job to pay for that school (my uncle works for Austin Energy and is trying to hhok me up).

Kman
Old April 30, 2003, 20:23   #62
MattyBoy
Prince

Local Time: 10:20
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Rogan Josh,
I used to work in more technical jobs and have a more scientific background. Now that I work in Finance, I've noticed that it is difficult to get the same joy from learning within such a grey field.

To understand Physics, you build a sound model, then use that as a building block to get to the next level. The hard work of fully understanding something complex yields greater understanding for years to come.

In finance, you learn something complex, but you can never know what the other players in the market will get up to, so you may never find the confidence to rely upon what you have learnt. Similarly, you never find out whether you have made a good call, because the market might just move a different way than it "should" have for any number of reasons.

The end result in Finance is that you always need to be ready to think on your feet and there is never any right or wrong.

To me, science is inherently more safisying as a testing ground for your mind. That must provide some consolation for you in your day to day work.
Old April 30, 2003, 20:32   #63
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 02:20
I am a Master of Science in Chemical Engineering. I work with R&D at a large paper corporation with almost 50 000 people. I do both business research, scientific research and trouble shooting in the production process. The major topic in my position is computer printers (inkjet and laser) and their interaction with paper. I cover all aspects of that, both market and technical issues. If I lived in US, I would make 80-100 K per year, but in Sweden I only make half of that. But that is enough to make me afford a 350 m2 house located right on the beach of a lake. I am quite satisfied with my life.
Old April 30, 2003, 20:43   #64
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 02:20
Why I work as a freelance political commentator and thinker for the Apolyton Civilization Site Forums