Old April 28, 2003, 18:01   #1
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 14:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Your most memorable gaming moments...
I was looking through my drawers yesterday when I found my SNES version of SimCity and started reminiscing. Anyway...

What are your TOP gaming moments? What do you remember are your best moments in the gaming industry?

Mine are:

1. Beating FF VIII. I got to the last boss and was getting my a** handed to me. The boss eliminated my summoning ability and was systematically killing off every single character in my party. Eventually it got down to Rinoa and she got a Limit Break. She had 1 H.P. left and I decided instead of healing I'd choose the Limit Break. It turned out to be 'Wishing Star' and I attacked the last boss multiple times and ended up killing it with 1 HP!!! I was jumping up and down and yelling "Holy S***!"...I also had to work that day so I called in and told them I was going to be a little late.

2. My second experience wasn't so action packed. I was still pretty young when I was playing SimCity for the SNES. I was strapped for cash and built a pretty big city. Well, it was pretty late and I fell asleep. I woke up around 4:00 am and the game was still running! I had about $1 Billion and half my city was in ruins from fires, emigration and what-not. I thought that was prettty funny.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old April 28, 2003, 18:41   #2
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 19:22
1. Suplexing kefka, and capturing the image with my video card for photo album I made for "High school memories"

2. Losing a Street fighter alpha 2 game to my obsessed friend after 80 somehwat wins, 12 beers and 2 barcardi 151 shots. This should go into my "Freshman college memories" album, but I didnt think of capturing the match or anything.

3. Beating bubble bobble staight up, no continue, no password with my roomate starting friday afternoon and catching saturday morning cartoon afterwards...

Thoes are my top gaming moments.
Old April 28, 2003, 19:39   #3
Tuberski

Beating Ultimas I,II,III and IV.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old April 28, 2003, 19:56   #4
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 10:22
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Defeating Zeromus for the first time Final Fantasy II (IV). I'd come in before and he massacred my party, so I reloaded a saved game and went to Bahamut's cave. When I went back to Zeromus, he was much easier to beat using the Bahamut spell. Still, it was pretty harrowing, and exhilirating to win.

The first time I played Alpha Centauri. It blew me away.

You can laugh, but the first time I finished Super Mario Brothers 2 was pretty amazing.
Old April 28, 2003, 21:09   #5
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 00:22
The Siege of Xanten which has taken place over the last couple of days on the Mourning server of Shadowbane deffinately ranks up there for me.

Do It Ourselves
Old April 29, 2003, 00:12   #6
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 16:22
Dropping Nukes on Ming and Bird in a Civ2 MP game for the first time and having everyone just stop playing after that
Old April 29, 2003, 00:56   #7
Zkribbler
Deity

Local Time: 17:22
1) Winning Wing Commander by blowing up the enemy space station even though all my big missiles were long since used up.

2) Winning Castle Wolfenstein and running out into the sunshine-filled meadow.

3) Defeating the megaboss at the end of Sentinel Worlds I, and then successfully battling my way passed hordes of bad guys to escape out of the space station before it blew up.

4) Getting really tired while playing Pirates, looking over to see what time it was, and seeing it was 3 a.m. I had to get up in three hours to go to work.

5) Blowing up the ultimate weapon at the end of Buck Rogers but not being able to find my way out of the enemy fortress before it blew up.
Old April 29, 2003, 01:52   #8
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 01:22
Completing sonic 2 on the same day i got it walking around like i was the dogs bollocks for days. My thumbs have never been the same.

Annihilating my best friend at champ manager 93/94 over 5 seasons in one night on the amiga.
Old April 29, 2003, 03:03   #9
Daz
Prince

Finishing Ultima IV. That was like... whoooohooooo...wait....crap, now I have to get back to the real world....
Old April 29, 2003, 03:05   #10
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Winning Civ 1 on Emperor for the first time after a 5000 year long war against the Chinese. That was some game. After that I'd cracked the nut, and some of the challenge went out of the game.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old April 29, 2003, 03:29   #11
Kropotkin
Emperor

Local Time: 02:22
I don't know. When I finished up as Kings advisor (Duke) in Pirates! after several, several hours of playing in a row. I was in the zone, I did everything right in my last crusade of the west indies. Found the most distant relatives left and right and married a real sweetie.

Another one is when I won everything as Wycombe Wanderers in the same season. The Leauge cup, the FA cup, the premier leauge, the champions leauge, the super cup, that pointless FIFA world champions tournament for clubs that they only played once and that other game in Tokyo.
Old April 29, 2003, 03:29   #12
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

the entire Baldur's Gate 2 experience

Getting a superhigh score on the ww79 scenario on Civ2- conflicts in civilization

my first civ2 game (never played a civ game before that)

My first Fallout game

My first X-com game
Old April 29, 2003, 03:39   #13
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Kropotkin
Another one is when I won everything as Wycombe Wanderers in the same season. The Leauge cup, the FA cup, the premier leauge, the champions leauge, the super cup, that pointless FIFA world champions tournament for clubs that they only played once and that other game in Tokyo.
But not the Charity Shield? That was a failed season IMHO

-Jam
Old April 29, 2003, 06:26   #14
Daz
Prince

ooo, I forgot to mention playing Privateer the Darkening. At that time I was not much of a social person...
Old April 29, 2003, 06:27   #15
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Most memorable is probably the day gaming really started for me, my 7th birthday.
Old April 29, 2003, 06:35   #16
Kropotkin
Emperor

Oh yeah, the charity shield as well. Kind of forgot about that one as kicking Man U ass was a everyday expericence for me by then.
Old April 29, 2003, 06:54   #17
Jamski
Deity

Go on - what happened on your seventh birthday Spikie? You're itching to tell us

-Jam
Old April 29, 2003, 07:05   #18
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by War of Art
Go on - what happened on your seventh birthday Spikie? You're itching to tell us

-Jam
I got a shiny new spectrum 48K with a bunch of games. I had played Space Invaders a lot in the arcade and I had a copy of that with the comp, so that turned out to be the game I played most of that day.
Old April 29, 2003, 07:25   #19
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

The first few months I played SoF online, it was (after duke3d) the first shooter I started playing mulitplaying a lot, great athmosphere there...

Also: Conquering the entire Roman empire in Caesar2, including the regions (such as Hibernia etc) they never conquered... A surge of greatness overwhelmed me

Finishing Stonekeep (defeating Khull Kuum) was amazing.. the game just sucked me in every time, the creepy corridors and full of surprises...

There's much more but too much to mention..
Old April 29, 2003, 10:54   #20
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 21:22
- The first time I played Ultima VII. I had never played any of the Ultima games before. I couldn't believe it! The game had night and day! You could drink some booze in the local bar!

- The first time I played Civ2, at a friend's house. Only some few turns, but I knew I'd be a civer forever...

- The "Lost Valley" level in the first Tomb Raider, when you go over the rocks and start to wander in that huge outdoor environment; you see some huge footsteps in the ground, suddenly everything starts to shake and you hear that "thump! thump!" sound coming from the darkness ahead... And the T-Rex appears in front of you. I was so shocked and scared that poor Lara was immediately devoured by the beast.

- The first time I defeated a friend of mine in a FIFA game. We were playing by modem, and the game was surprisingly smooth (we didn't had good computers back then... hell, I don't have a good computer even now!). Anyway, I massacred Brazil playing with Germany, it was a 7-1 victory! He immediately typed in the chat: "I have to go now, we'll play again another day"...
Old April 29, 2003, 13:35   #21
The Pioneer
Prince

None was so memorable as seeing "Defender of the Crown" for the first time. I rushed out (rather I convinced my father) to buy an Amiga so I can play the game. I played and replayed the game and it was a joy everytime.

There were many more memorable moments Baldur's Gate 1, Golden Eye & Marion on N64 the first game of colonization and the first C&C.

So long...
Old April 29, 2003, 15:02   #22
Sandman
King

Skiving off gym to play four-player GoldenEye. And indeed much more from that game, the music, the silo level, proximity mines, god, it was great.

Hong Kong/Versalife in Deus Ex.

Pretty much all of Max Payne.

Discovering an uninhabited continent in civ, and successfully colonizing it. Gets me every time.

Europa Universalis: Taking a two province Prussia in 1492, and transforming it into the world's most powerful nation by 1792.

Europa Universalis 2: Persia. 'Nuff said.

The dragons in Baldur's Gate 2. The first time, the dragon had wiped out my party for the umpteenth time, except for Mazzy, who managed to slay it with her last arrow as it was bearing down on her.

Completing Starfox 64 on the hard route.

The nebula levels on Homeworld, particularly if you managed to steal the unique enemy ships.

Blowing up a star destroyer with my B-wing, before defeating wave after wave of TIE advanced, before finally destroying a frigate practically on my own, using just lasers, in X-wing.
Old April 29, 2003, 15:24   #23
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

First time I started playing civ 1.

I especially liked my House rule game where I could not switch production, and still pummeling all the computer players.

Beating the Jester scenario on Impossible and King of the Hill in HoMM 1.

Pummeling a friend on Power Rangers battle mode 8 or 9 times in a row.

Building three towns within a week in a rich HOMM 2 scenarios to Mansions, and buying 30 Vampire Lords/ turn.
Old April 29, 2003, 16:26   #24
Static Universe
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 18:22
First defeat of the final alien base in X-com.

First transcend victory on Alpha Centauri

Just about any game of 2-player Archon on the C-64
Old April 29, 2003, 16:41   #25
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

When i first figured on on Civ I how to keep my cities out of disorder in Democracy (Playing the Greeks on Warlord)

When i found the bug in Civ I that if you saved the game in the autosave slot, every one of your units got its movement restored. Only used that bug once - for one of those absolute limit games - in 3980 BC on an earth map i had 11 cities, railroad and had revolted towards democracy already. (that also falls under the never again category )

When i finally won with the Secret of the Silver Blades (or was that Pool of Darkness?) and found the optional 2 extra battles after victory- and then after several attempts survived those 2 battles

The first time i won an OCC (One City Challenge) game in Civ II

The first time i made max level on an online MUD (and was the first rogue to do it after a major code change)
When i was the first Magus on a different MUD to make max level
The first time i burned out on Mudding and deleted all my characters including 2 high ranking guild-leaders

The first time i found a defender sword in Moria and could see invisible monsters.
The first time i tried to save a game in Moria on my friend's floppy disk - he said there was no room left on it and he was right - my save overwrote moria.exe
Old April 30, 2003, 00:38   #26
Zkribbler
Deity

In Civ 1, exploring a new continent only to find a much more advanced France civilization thriving there. I converted all my research over to taxes, and began sending spies into bribe the locals into revolting. One by one, I knocked off the French cities, gaining advances as I went. Luckily, Paris was at the end of a peninsula. I sent my newly discovered armor units down the peninsula and overpowered the French defenders in Paris before French reinforcements could break through my lines.

The "Bunker Hill Blues" scenario of Strikefleet opens with my cruiser on the high seas. Beep--a warning that the enemy has fired either a missile or a topedo at me. Beep. But I see nothing. Beep. I switch from radar to sonar. Beep. Still, I see nothing. Beep. I switch back to radar. Beep. And zoom out. Beep. Still nothing. I zoom out some more. Beep. I switch back to sonar to see if I missed something. Beep. Nothing underwater. Beep. Back to radar. Beep. Zoom out to maximum. Beep. There they are: two Russian cruisers! Beep. --And a string of a least a dozen ship-to-ship missiles heading my way! The most exciting beginning of any computer game I ever played!

Duke Snyder crushing a grand slam home run to led the Brooklyn Dodgers to a World Series championship against the vile New York Yankees.

In Fields of Glory, ordering my Third Corp commander to advance and having him do just that--a valient one-man attack on the British right flank.
Old April 30, 2003, 11:57   #27
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 18:22
1. Mario Kart (for the SNES).

My cousin and I were vacationing at our grandparents' house for June or July and on a rainy day we played and played this game. Neither of us had ever beaten it yet, and with a racing team approach we were able to win.

I was the better driver and he was the better fighter so he'd hang back and pick off the guys by trying to stay in 2 or 3rd while I just went full tilt for the finish.

2. Mario Kart 64

I'd just bought my N64, used, with only this and Deadly Arts. Right away my cousin and I discovered that Deadly Arts kind of sucked and that I wasted money on it, but we still had Mario Kart.

His TV, however, wasn't stereo enabled so all I could do since I hadn't gotten a RF switch (since my TV at home was stereo enabled) was just plug in the video and try plugging in one of the sound sides... didn't work... we didn't get any sound at all.

Instead we just had a blast yelling at each other, trying to make up sound effects and yelling at the game all while laughing.

Great times.

Probably more, but I'll move on for now.

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old April 30, 2003, 17:52   #28
thinkingamer
Warlord

Local Time: 16:22
uh.....
In Magic:tg casting a x=9 earthquake, when i had 11 life w/ no creature, while my opponents had 3, 5 creatures each with less than 9 lives......=double win

beating broken alliance in impossible within 3.5 months...my greatest HoMM achievement.
Old April 30, 2003, 18:51   #29
ColdWizard
Civilization II MultiplayerGameLeagueNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 20:22
I remember beating Fallout 2, that was cool. I don't remember what the ending of BG2 was like, but I remember killing a bunch of fire giants with only my main character (in the beginning of the expansion)
CW: Sometimes you're even bigger weirdo than kass... - Jeki, Wiser Finn.
Old April 30, 2003, 18:51   #30
Cruddy
Warlord

Finishing Eye of the Beholder II on the Amiga. It was a beta test and the end sequence was missing.

My saved games weren't compatible with the finished product.

I was gutted... but it taught me not to take games so seriously.

Finishing Wings was a bit of a marathon too...
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84