DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 19:23
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Old Europe meets
Quote:
Anti-war Europeans open summit

Four European Union countries which opposed the war in Iraq have begun a mini-summit in Brussels on boosting defence ties.
The leaders of France, Germany, Belgium and Luxembourg are discussing ways to strengthen the EU's military links.

French Foreign Minister Dominique de Villepin on Monday called for a strong Europe which could speak with a single voice and act as a counterweight to the United States.

However the four countries attending the Brussels summit have insisted their meeting is not anti-American.

Mr De Villepin said the mini-summit was intended to strengthen Nato, not rival it.

"Everything is being done to act in tight co-operation and in strict harmony with the Atlantic alliance," he said during a visit to Prague.

"It is not a question of building a competing process but, on the contrary, of avoiding duplication and asserting Europe's responsibility."

But the apparent exclusion of the EU's pro-war nations - including the biggest military power, the UK - has prompted accusations that the meeting will only deepen the Europe's divisions.

The BBC's Chris Morris, in Brussels, says almost everyone agrees there can be no credible European defence policy without UK involvement, but Belgian Prime Minister Guy Verhofstadt, who called the meeting, argues that Europe has to start somewhere.

Divided Europe

Hopes that Europe was ready to move towards a common defence and foreign policy have been left in tatters by the Iraq war, which polarised the EU into pro- and anti-war camps.

The EU's foreign policy chief, Javier Solana, and the country currently holding the EU presidency, Greece, are not attending the summit.

And the UK Prime Minister, Tony Blair, attempted on Monday to play down the summit's significance.

"We won't accept, and neither will the rest of Europe, anything that either undermines Nato or conflicts with the basic principles of European defence we've set out," he said.

Italy, Spain and the Netherlands have also expressed reservations.

Reports before the mini-summit began said France and Germany were expected to back-pedal on the original proposals - including a European defence force run from a military command centre in Belgium - fearing further damage to their relationships with the US.

Mr Verhofstadt is still believed to support the creation of a European military command headquarters, but diplomatic sources quoted by Reuters news agency said the idea had been shredded.

Proposals for defence spending targets and common European military units had also been dropped, diplomats said.

'Scaled-down' plans

Instead, the four are thought more likely to stick to less contentious ground - with a final communique expected to contain only those ideas which are under discussion by the convention examining Europe's future.

Those include a solidarity clause offering support to fellow nations under terrorist attack, and plans for an EU arms procurement and strategic research agency.

Separate plans for a European rapid reaction force, which would operate under the auspices of Nato military planners, have the support of all 15 EU members.

Planners hope the 60,000-strong force will be fully operational by the end of the year.

The EU launched its first military mission last month, when it took over from Nato in charge of the peacekeeping operation in Macedonia.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/2984021.stm

Why would you hold a meeting to hammer out European defense policy and exclude one of the EU's largest military powers?
Old April 29, 2003, 05:13   #2
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 00:23
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Because one of the EU's largest millitary powers has no independance from the US?? If America says "Lets'have a war", do the Brits ever say no? How could Europe be a counter-balance to the US if they never stand up to its bullying?

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old April 29, 2003, 05:32   #3
Kropotkin
Emperor

Local Time: 02:23
Cut the "old Europe" crap.
Old April 29, 2003, 05:49   #4
dannubis
King

are you threathened by it ?

and if not, why making such a fuss about it ?
Old April 29, 2003, 05:53   #5
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 01:23
Well, I guess they just can't stand insolence. We will be punished, for sure. If they withdraw all McDonalds from the continent, that'll teach us!
Old April 29, 2003, 06:47   #6
Demerzel
Warlord

ooh watch out! "Old Europe" is on the rampage!

sheesh
Old April 29, 2003, 06:49   #7
dannubis
King

comin' to get you !!!!!
Old April 29, 2003, 07:40   #8
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Quote:
Why would you hold a meeting to hammer out European defense policy and exclude one of the EU's largest military powers?

Because of the obvious reason War of Art just gave...

But, by the way: you have to start somewhere, indeed, the European Union (well it wasn't the EU back then of course but you know what I mean) started small too, and look what's become now... I think it wouldn't be too easy to organize if you would get a zillion countries at once for this prjoect, also, the rightwing governments of Europe don't want to join right now anyway, and I don't think Blair would join it.. but one day that infidel will be out of power
Old April 29, 2003, 07:53   #9
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Well, doing nothing is not a real option for the French and German governments so they will have a meeting about defence co-operation and make important sounding noises at the end of it but nothing substantial will happen.

One of the unspoken issues about common european defence is "who will pay for it?" The US has paid to provide a large proportion of the defence of western europe for the last 50 years. Historically the UK has spent more of its GDP on military than other european NATO members over the same period.

Nothing much is going to happen (apart from joint procurement projects like Eurofighter) until either there is substantial progress on political union through the EU or until the US pulls completely out and leaves the europeans on their own militarily. I doubt if a US withdrawal will happen because it could be the catalyst for a european defence force with eventual global ability - not in the US long term interests.
Old April 29, 2003, 08:12   #10
BeBro
Emperor

This meeting was publicly discussed a lot here and with the Brits, (semi-) officially admitted that it is not the best idea, (semi-) officially accepted by the Brits - and all think it is time to get over it

And the most "extreme" proposals forwarded by Belgium were rejected from the beginning (at least from our side, don´t know about the French)

Edit: after reading the article I know that the French rejected them too
Old April 29, 2003, 08:13   #11
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Greece has said that if that plan comes to reality it will join ASAP

(since noone's older than Greece you see)
Old April 29, 2003, 08:38   #12
Lincoln
King

"Old Europe" will keep it up until they find themselves on the back-burner of history. Belgium especially is becoming quite vindictive:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/2983911.stm

excerpt:

"The Bush administration has reacted angrily to suggestions that General Tommy Franks, the commander of the US-led war in Iraq, might be charged with war crimes.
A Belgian lawyer says he is preparing a case that could see General Franks charged under a law which allows the prosecution of non-Belgian citizens for war crimes. ..

"If this prosecution goes ahead, Bush administration officials are making it plain they will regard it as a major diplomatic incident - an example of political harassment.

A senior administration official warned that even the issuing of indictments would result in what he called "diplomatic consequences" for Belgium. ..
Old April 29, 2003, 08:42   #13
Bereta_Eder
Settler

And Belgium is the heart of Europe. That should tell you something.
Old April 29, 2003, 08:43   #14
Ned
King

Local Time: 16:23
Their goal was to strenghten NATO?

I think the four have identified themselves as the founding members of the anti-NATO organization.

Does the average Frenchman and German approve of where there leaders are taking them? Undoubtedly, this direction will split Europe and prevent further integration of the EU.
Old April 29, 2003, 08:44   #15
BeBro
Emperor

I´m sure Luxembourg is behind it all...
Old April 29, 2003, 08:45   #16
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Not really. Just look at the euro or ineed the foundation of the EU. Only a handful of nations started it, the others joined in later.
Old April 29, 2003, 08:54   #17
Ned
King

Local Time: 16:23
Paiktis, there is a difference between an economic union and anti-US military alliance.
Old April 29, 2003, 08:56   #18
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Yes the second is a bit more difficult. But even when the euro was first announced some decades back, Americans just laughed. Now it is stronger than the dollar.
Old April 29, 2003, 08:56   #19
Lonestar
inmate
King

Local Time: 20:23
Quote:
Originally posted by paiktis22
Greece has said that if that plan comes to reality it will join ASAP

(since noone's older than Greece you see)
There were plenty of countries in existance before Greece. Greece broke away from Turkey in the 1800's, right?
Old April 29, 2003, 08:57   #20
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Modern Greece that is
Old April 29, 2003, 08:58   #21
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Paiktis, there is a difference between an economic union and anti-US military alliance.
An alliance without participation of the United States is not necessarily anti-US.
Old April 29, 2003, 09:00   #22
Bereta_Eder
Settler

It depends on the US really. If it behaves...
Old April 29, 2003, 09:02   #23
Lonestar
inmate
King

Quote:
Modern Greece that is
Well, "Modern United States" beats out "Modern Greece but first a bunch of kings" by fifty years.

Last edited by Lonestar; April 29, 2003 at 09:08.
Old April 29, 2003, 09:03   #24
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Old April 29, 2003, 09:06   #25
Bereta_Eder
Settler

BTW Greece kicked out the turkish yoke in 1820's not 1880's and it's been uphill ever since.
Old April 29, 2003, 09:07   #26
Lonestar
inmate
King

Quote:
Dind't you guys have Kings for the first Hundred years? How quaint!

Slightly back on track, I'd love to see the EU try to unify their militaries. Won't happen, and the European countries are so far behind the United States in Technology that I doubt they'll be much of an threat.
Old April 29, 2003, 09:08   #27
BeBro
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Lonestar

Well, "Modern United States" beats out "Modern Greece but first a bunch of kings" by a hundred years.
Yes, it is "Old America"
Old April 29, 2003, 09:09   #28
Lonestar
inmate
King

Quote:
Originally posted by BeBro

Yes, it is "Old America"

Well, the Southwest is...
Old April 29, 2003, 09:12   #29
Bereta_Eder
Settler

About the Kings, yes unfortunately. now they're gone too.

but do you have democracy now? even without kings? (or health care for that matter and peaceful life)

The Euro was deemed impossible but yet happened and it is stronger than the dollar now.
Old April 29, 2003, 09:13   #30
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

to the initiative. It goes completely against the historical trend.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a European bloc independent from the US (a relationship that would preferably involve cooperation, but I have no particular problems with rivalry).

But this initiative completely goes in the way, because it gives individual nation-states too much power in this. As the divisions on the Iraq war shows, a common voice on the foreign policy cannot be found in the EU as long as nation-states didn't give up this part of their sovereignity.

The big split in Europe was not directly about war. War was a convenient item on which the oppositions focused, but it wasn't the problem in itself. The real opposition was between countries that wanted to continue to guide the EU, and countries that wanted to take an active part in EU's guidance.

It was also very much about the positions on EU as a diplomatic and military power :
- France and Germany strive for the creation of an EU bloc.
- UK wants to keep its independance, and play on both sides (UK is at the edge of EU's current military cooperation along with France)
- Spain doesn't want to have to spend too much on military, especially since much of its EU money will disappear to profit the new member-states.

The only solution to adress this split would be to instill democracy in the EU, and let the supranational democratic institutions speak, to represent the will of the people, with minimal input from the haggling nation states. Unfortunately, we won't see it anytime soon, thanks notably to Chirac's outdated conceptions of Europe.