Local Time: 02:23
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Anyway, since it is formed, we can leave the job to the Arabs
Old April 29, 2003, 09:33   #32
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Actually the alliance backstepped on this one since it will not help union in Europe.

Things now are: Europe enjoys free defence from US which does all the paying, gets killed etc.

Meanwhile Europe has higher standard of living, less violence, universal health care etc etc.

A master- slave relationship with the US serving Europe and taking all the cost and all the slack. Of course it helps its US economy but not its people.
This will not change for the foreasble future.
Old April 29, 2003, 09:34   #33
Bereta_Eder
Settler

I think it's pretty smart myself
Old April 29, 2003, 11:35   #34
Lonestar
inmate
King

Local Time: 20:23
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by paiktis22
About the Kings, yes unfortunately. now they're gone too.

but do you have democracy now? even without kings? (or health care for that matter and peaceful life)

Democracy smarcracy, we're a federalist Republic, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Health Care? The Government completely covers my health care.

Quote:
The Euro was deemed impossible but yet happened and it is stronger than the dollar now.
Meh, stuff is still cheaper here in the states.
Old April 29, 2003, 11:56   #35
Saras
Emperor

Local Time: 03:23
The word "Kimono" comes from the Greek work "chimona", which means "winter".
What do you put on when it's cold? A robe!. So there you, Chimono-Robe-winter-Kimono.
Old April 29, 2003, 11:58   #36
Saras
Emperor

And Greeks invented POTTERY!
Old April 29, 2003, 12:37   #37
Ned
King

Local Time: 16:23
Quote:
Originally posted by paiktis22
I think it's pretty smart myself
In a way it is smart because it maintains world peace. History has shown that military alliances, opposed to each other, more often than not, go to war. The only one that did not - at least overtly - was the Nato -- Warsaw Pact statndoff. However, the cold war was ugly for the world outside Europe, as we all know.

I was just thinking, is there any military alliance anywhere in the world, today, that is independent of the US?
Old April 29, 2003, 12:44   #38
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 19:23
Quote:
Originally posted by dannubis
are you threathened by it ?
Not really. I'm just curious how you can form a credible defense policy without British involvement.
Old April 29, 2003, 12:48   #39
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
"The Bush administration has reacted angrily to suggestions that General Tommy Franks, the commander of the US-led war in Iraq, might be charged with war crimes.
A Belgian lawyer says he is preparing a case that could see General Franks charged under a law which allows the prosecution of non-Belgian citizens for war crimes. ..

"If this prosecution goes ahead, Bush administration officials are making it plain they will regard it as a major diplomatic incident - an example of political harassment."
And Euros wonder why the US doesn't support the ICC.
Old April 29, 2003, 12:51   #40
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 01:23
Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
Not really. I'm just curious how you can form a credible defense policy without British involvement.
Now I'm curious what the Britons have to do with the defense of France and Germany. The Germans alone have an army twice as big as the British, and they are eqipped with enough heavy weapons, tanks and mech infantry for a formidable defense. And although they may be not able to project this power (which is true without any doubt), this ability is completely irrelevant for defensive purposes.
Old April 29, 2003, 12:52   #41
Kropotkin
Emperor

He's been in Iraq for five minutes. What are going to be charged for? There's always a lawyer out there preparing a case for the most absurd things between heaven and the earth. doesn't mean that it has a chance in hell in a court room.
Old April 29, 2003, 12:53   #42
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Why should the US even care? Lets pull all our troops out of bases around the world. Let Europe deal with their problems.
Old April 29, 2003, 12:54   #43
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
Why should the US even care? Lets pull all our troops out of bases around the world. Let Europe deal with their problems.
Old April 29, 2003, 12:57   #44
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
Now I'm curious what the Britons have to do with the defense of France and Germany.
That's not the topic of the summit. Nor is it the reason that Italy, Spain, and the Netherlands also expressed concern about the summit.
Old April 29, 2003, 13:01   #45
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
doesn't mean that it has a chance in hell in a court room.
They convicted Sharon, didn't they? You don't really need a case to convict someone of human rights violations in Belgium.
Old April 29, 2003, 13:07   #46
Lazerus
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStates
King

Quote:
Originally posted by War of Art
Because one of the EU's largest millitary powers has no independance from the US?? If America says "Lets'have a war", do the Brits ever say no? How could Europe be a counter-balance to the US if they never stand up to its bullying?

-Jam
On the other hand, why have an army when you're never going to use it just to spite the Americans ?

And please no independance from the US? we've been in twice as many fights and do alot more peacekeeping work in the world then them. They just grab the headlines because they're the major player when they do join in.
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old April 29, 2003, 13:08   #47
Kropotkin
Emperor

What planet do you live on? Has Sharon been convicted?!
Old April 29, 2003, 13:11   #48
Lonestar
inmate
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Saras
The word "Kimono" comes from the Greek work "chimona", which means "winter".
What do you put on when it's cold? A robe!. So there you, Chimono-Robe-winter-Kimono.
Yeah, I saw that movie too.

slightly back on topic, I don't think we should vacate our military bases overseas unless the local governments make a formal request to leave. With already closed down a lot of bases overseas as it is.
Old April 29, 2003, 13:13   #49
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
What planet do you live on? Has Sharon been convicted?!
I know he can't go to Belgium for fear of arrest. If he hasn't been convicted of anything, that would just make the situation even more absurd. Should Tommy Franks or any other American general have to tailor their travel plans to avoid whatever European countries have a warrant out for their arrest on ludicrous war crimes charges?

The US might have signed on to the ICC if you Euros would treat war crimes as the rare and serious things they are, instead of as an excuse to score political points.
Old April 29, 2003, 13:15   #50
gsmoove23
Warlord

Local Time: 00:23
Last I heard the Sharon trial fell through, despite the fact they had quite a case.
Old April 29, 2003, 13:17   #51
Az
Emperor

Of course they did.
Old April 29, 2003, 13:20   #52
Kropotkin
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
The US might have signed on to the ICC if you Euros would treat war crimes as the rare and serious things they are, instead of as an excuse to score political points.
"You euros"? Are talking about me? Get you grip together, I just agreed that the idea to convict Franks for war crimes seems absurd a few posts ago. I have no desire for the ICC to score political points. I'm not the one 'inventing' convictions to score political points.
Old April 29, 2003, 13:38   #53
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

The problem with the Belgian system is that pretty much anybody can fill a case, even if this case will be ruled out by the court eventually.
I seem to remember there was a case against Pinochet. I wonder if there are cases about the dictators of the world, but I wouldn't be surprised. I'm almost sure many political dissidents in exile in Belgium try to make a case against their oppressors.

The only cases that we hear about are those against persona grata in the west. It doesn't necessarily mean all cases are against them.
Old April 29, 2003, 13:40   #54
DinoDoc
Deity

Damn you Drake! How the hell did you get Sharon from this thread without any stops in between?
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old April 29, 2003, 13:43   #55
Kropotkin
Emperor

Spiffor: Actually I think there's something about a former dictator of Chad also being prosecuted. I think I read that about the same time as the belgian court decided that Sharon could be prosecuted without being present in the country himself. This would also apply for the Chad dictator. For obvious reasons that didn't get any real attention. It's not just americans that have problems finding Chad on a world map...
Old April 29, 2003, 14:14   #56
Ned
King

If the ICC indicts Franks, I think the first thing he ought to do is fly to Netherlands for dinner.

Then let's see if the brave Dutch want to arrest Franks.
Old April 29, 2003, 14:20   #57
Spiffor

AFAIK, the ICC cannot indict Franks. The US are not part of the ICC, so it cannot condemn any of its citizens I think.

The case we are talking about is pure Belgian, and not international in any form.
Old April 29, 2003, 14:23   #58
Ned
King

Then he should have dinner in Belgium.
Old April 29, 2003, 14:28   #59
Spiffor

I highly doubt the Belgian justice will give following to the case anyway.
Old April 29, 2003, 14:48   #60
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
The problem with the Belgian system is that pretty much anybody can fill a case, even if this case will be ruled out by the court eventually.
I seem to remember there was a case against Pinochet. I wonder if there are cases about the dictators of the world, but I wouldn't be surprised. I'm almost sure many political dissidents in exile in Belgium try to make a case against their oppressors.

The only cases that we hear about are those against persona grata in the west. It doesn't necessarily mean all cases are against them.

There are numerous cases, but you don't know about those, only Sharon cases or Tommy Franks cases get the media..