Old April 29, 2003, 09:19   #1
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 02:24
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Music and games?
Does anyone else have it the same way, I have? Sometimes I set a special song, belonging to a special game (and I'm talking about songs from the radio, not from the game itself). I know I have several songs, which I only remember when I hear them... but then, when I hear them, I get a picture of the game in my head... to be more exact I actually remembers a special map, at a special time in the game, whenever I hear the song, even though the song doesn't have anything to do with the game
Old April 29, 2003, 09:32   #2
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 00:24
BORIS!!!!

There's a thread about music needs your attention here.
Come and tell us about synaethesia.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old April 29, 2003, 10:39   #3
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 21:24
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I usually don't associate songs and games, I like to stick with the game's music, unless it is too unbearable.
Old April 29, 2003, 10:49   #4
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexnm
I usually don't associate songs and games, I like to stick with the game's music, unless it is too unbearable.
I have yet to hear some game-music that is bearable...
Old April 29, 2003, 11:10   #5
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 01:24
Game music sometimes lags the game as it changes track so i dont play it. I dont play from music cds either when im playing FPS's or where sound is important but i usually do with civ and other lazy games.

Even when theres no song playing you notice something familiar to a song on screen, like a certain civ you started conquering the day before reminds you of the song that was playing when you see their cities or units.
Old April 29, 2003, 11:58   #6
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Maquiladora
Even when theres no song playing you notice something familiar to a song on screen, like a certain civ you started conquering the day before reminds you of the song that was playing when you see their cities or units.
Yeah, it's something like that... though in my case (which I was thinking about, as I started this thread), is the classic game Syndicate... And The song is pretty unknown (I don't even know the name of the song, I just recognize it, when it's playing).. And back then as I played that game, this map, nothing special happened... so I have no reason to actually have to remember it, but I still remembers it
Old April 29, 2003, 12:40   #7
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG

The music in Eu2 and HoI is mostly very good, IMHO.
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old April 29, 2003, 13:30   #8
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Haven't played EU2, and I have no clue what HoI is...

...but even if I had played Eu2, I wouldn't have heard the music anyway... whenever I install a new game, the first thing I do is turning off the music (Many games have very annoying "music" in the menu, so I try to get rid of it ASAP)
Old April 29, 2003, 16:32   #9
Static Universe
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 18:24
I think I stopped listening to game music completely after I started playing Transport Tycoon. It's a habit I never broke and I always turn the music off.
Old April 29, 2003, 16:55   #10
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 21:24
I liked the music in RRT2 and Tropico... Also the music in Icewind Dale and Dungeon Siege...
Old April 29, 2003, 17:31   #11
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

ADG, EU2 has music from the era it's covering(that will say 1400s to 1800s), a few from each of them. For example the Four Seasons by Vivaldi.

HoI(Hearts of Iron) is a game covering 1936-1948, and the music there is more modern, mostly from the end of the 1800s and the beginning of the 1900s. Like Tjaikovsky(very bad spelled I guess... ) and Grieg.
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old April 29, 2003, 17:45   #12
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Nikolai
ADG, EU2 has music from the era it's covering(that will say 1400s to 1800s), a few from each of them. For example the Four Seasons by Vivaldi.
Arrrrrggggg....!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Nikolai
HoI(Hearts of Iron) is a game covering 1936-1948, and the music there is more modern, mostly from the end of the 1800s and the beginning of the 1900s. Like Tjaikovsky(very bad spelled I guess... ) and Grieg.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggg ...!!!!!!!!!

Thank God, I haven't listened to any of those games then...
Old April 29, 2003, 18:58   #13
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 10:24
Quote:
Originally posted by ADG

Donkey Kong Country.
Old April 29, 2003, 20:29   #14
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 11:24
Command and Conquer is a great soundtrack, as does Deus Ex (although not quite as good).

For me though, I usually play new games a lot while playing new albums a lot. The feeling as ADG describes it is exactly what happens to me. The songs I relate to a particular game I only remember because I played the song so many times while playing the game.
Old April 30, 2003, 05:48   #15
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 01:24
ADG I used to get this all the time back in the days when music/sound sucked in games. To this day I cannot play a Monkey Island game without triggering the memory of the 2 albums I was playing incessantly when completing MI1. The last game it happened with would be Screamer Rally for the PC, with the associated album being Sheryl Crow's excellent 'Sheryl Crow'.
Old April 30, 2003, 11:51   #16
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 18:24
All I know is that some of my games really drive my wife nuts thanks to the music, while others she really doesn't mind.

CivIII is a good example of one she likes the music from... FF4j would be an example of one she gets driven nuts on.

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old May 6, 2003, 15:23   #17
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 20:24
i tend to associate "ashokans farewell" (theme from Ken Burn's Civil War) with just about anything to with the civil war, including my games. IIRC SMA has nice period music, though i may be getting it confused with RELee:CWG. I like the 1602 AD music, never much cared for the Civ music, AOE music got old after awhile.
Old May 8, 2003, 04:06   #18
NeOmega
Prince

Local Time: 16:24
http://remix.overclocked.org/index.php

Here is 100's of console games remixed.... I think it does PC games too.

Best music Herzog Zwei, Final Fantasy VII, and One Must Fall 2097, and the new One Must Fall coming out sounds like it has great music too... although it seems to be an experimental delivery wich is based on the pace of play....