View Poll Results: What do you like to play on?
Pangaea 6 28.57%
Continents 9 42.86%
Archipelago 6 28.57%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 29, 2003, 09:44   #1
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 09:24
Local Date: November 2, 2010
What kind of world do you like?
I always play on a 60% archipelago. I've never played on Pangaea.

The reason is that I like being able to cut off my borders with lines of fortresses and this gets close to impossible with a huge border that stretches half a continent. On a 4 or 5 tile isthmus this is a feasible strategy. It also brings ships into the game more since they can shoot across narrow straits pretty quickly.
Old April 29, 2003, 09:49   #2
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 00:24
If you never played on pangea, you're missing out.

I used to like Archipelago maps, especially in Civ2, because that game was different and displomatically, it was a joke.

With Civ3, the intrigue level is about three times higher on pangea maps when you have 5 civs crammed into a continent and another 5 crammed into another.
Old April 29, 2003, 09:49   #3
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 21:24
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I like 60% continents, it is a fairly balanced map.
Old April 29, 2003, 09:57   #4
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by dexters
If you never played on pangea, you're missing out.

I used to like Archipelago maps, especially in Civ2, because that game was different and displomatically, it was a joke.

With Civ3, the intrigue level is about three times higher on pangea maps when you have 5 civs crammed into a continent and another 5 crammed into another.
I think I'll try it. I guess it's better to be expansionist on such a map?
Old April 29, 2003, 10:29   #5
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 17:24
I prefer the challenge of "island hopping" myself.
Old April 29, 2003, 10:44   #6
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Wittlich
I prefer the challenge of "island hopping" myself.
Yeah, but who wants to run the risk of being stuck alone on an island with the foul Aztecs?
Old April 29, 2003, 10:52   #7
Menlas
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:24
Archipelago...i hate to see my beautiful cities changing sides because of the cultural effect
Old April 29, 2003, 11:59   #8
Nym
Prince

I like archipelago because I fill quite secure. But I like continents or pangea due to the speed of research and the possibility of selling techs to a great number of civs a so earn lot of money.
In conclusion I prefer pangea with myself alone on an isthmus protected by a chokepoint! But for fun I very often play on a random map.
Old April 29, 2003, 12:42   #9
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Nym

In conclusion I prefer pangea with myself alone on an isthmus protected by a chokepoint! But for fun I very often play on a random map.
No kidding.
Old April 29, 2003, 13:33   #10
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

I play random maps and have fun with lots of different types of games. A word of warning if you always play archipelago and are going to try pangaea -- the tech rate advances quite a bit more quickly on a pangaea primarily due to the (generally) much earlier contact and trading opportunities.

Catt
Old April 29, 2003, 16:31   #11
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 02:24
I hate archipelagos, and prefer continents / pangaeas. I also much prefer an old earth rather than a young one, to have more fertile lands to settle.

I love building huge empires that look awesome on the map, and rivaling against Civs that do the same.

Off topic : did you decide to go for your custom avatar at last, Ag ?
Old April 29, 2003, 16:42   #12
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Large continents. Usually ends up with 2 of them, so I have a balance of neighbors and also a race to contact the other continent.

In my current mod, gallies are wheeled and cannot enter the ocean.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old April 29, 2003, 17:40   #13
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 19:24
i play mostly pangea, sometimes continents. I like the quick pace of the games and the tumult that new techs creates

edit: by quick pace I meant the tech race. I like how the turns take longer and involve more units and cities

Last edited by asleepathewheel; April 29, 2003 at 17:46.
Old April 29, 2003, 18:36   #14
Demerzel
Warlord

normally a couple of large continents between the 7 of us gives a good game I find.
Old April 29, 2003, 20:31   #15
peterfharris
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Prince

I am a builder so I distinctly prefer (uncrowded) archipelago for most of my games. That way no one bothers me much.

When I feel like a violent game (seldom) I use a pangea map and make it very crowded with many civilisations so they act with pyschopathic aggression. The violence is extreme, the wars never end, the tech progression is slow because everyone is fighting so much that advanced government is not possible due to war weariness, less improvements are built due to never ending war. I make sure that no one is ever at peace, ever.
Old April 29, 2003, 20:47   #16
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 20:24
I like archipelagos. They look nice, and seem to have less huge Jungly spaces.
Old April 29, 2003, 21:43   #17
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor

Off topic : did you decide to go for your custom avatar at last, Ag ?
No, (I'm still miles off that). I was posting early this morning and no one was really around in OT. I post here in spurts. It's a bit hard because I get the feeling most of the interesting discussions went on years ago and I'm an intermittent player who installs to play and then deletes the game after a couple of weeks. I'm going through a bit of a Civ phase today though.
Old April 29, 2003, 21:46   #18
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by peterfharris
I am a builder so I distinctly prefer (uncrowded) archipelago for most of my games. That way no one bothers me much.

When I feel like a violent game (seldom) I use a pangea map and make it very crowded with many civilisations so they act with pyschopathic aggression. The violence is extreme, the wars never end, the tech progression is slow because everyone is fighting so much that advanced government is not possible due to war weariness, less improvements are built due to never ending war. I make sure that no one is ever at peace, ever.
I find it jarring to play as a militarist, although I was surprised at how easy it is on the lower levels. The computer just sits there and takes it.

Anyway, started a Pangaea game today. It's different, I'll say that much.
Old April 29, 2003, 21:52   #19
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Agathon

No, (I'm still miles off that). I was posting early this morning and no one was really around in OT. I post here in spurts. It's a bit hard because I get the feeling most of the interesting discussions went on years ago and I'm an intermittent player who installs to play and then deletes the game after a couple of weeks. I'm going through a bit of a Civ phase today though.
Well, considering that the Off Topic (OT) Forum does not count towards your post count, you'll be at it for a long time. However, Agathon, have you considered the possiblity of joining a PBEM/Diplomacy game hosted here at Apolyton? It's actually a lot of fun and because of this, your post count improves dramatically....but of course, PBEM/Diplomacy games are not for everyone...I guess it all depends on your playing/gaming style.

Sorry for the detour - back to the subject at hand. I still like island hopping - it forces you to actually have a viable navy.
Old April 30, 2003, 12:32   #20
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 21:24
Quote:
I still like island hopping - it forces you to actually have a viable navy.
Yes, it does, and this is my main gripe with archipelago maps. Naval warfare is so ill-conceived in this game that it ruins part of the fun for me.
Old April 30, 2003, 13:35   #21
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:

Well, considering that the Off Topic (OT) Forum does not count towards your post count, you'll be at it for a long time. However, Agathon, have you considered the possiblity of joining a PBEM/Diplomacy game hosted here at Apolyton? It's actually a lot of fun and because of this, your post count improves dramatically....but of course, PBEM/Diplomacy games are not for everyone...I guess it all depends on your playing/gaming style.
I'd like to but I just don't have all the time I'd like to devote to Civ. I have a thesis to write. Perhaps in the future......
Old April 30, 2003, 17:11   #22
Sliparac
Settler

I like many islands, they make me feel safe(r)