Old April 29, 2003, 10:06   #1
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 18:24
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Discussion: Naming units
PTW allows us a new level of naming: Units.

How should we name them?

For my sake, and the sake of simplicity, I want to name the workers simply worker 1, 2, etc. But if someone REALLY wants to be a worker, I suppose I could put you to work

Military units, though, could be quite fun.

I suggest either naming them after each member of the Demo game, via a random generator according to the join list, or as a function of the chats, gaining suggestions in chat and quickpolling.

The first is most fair to all involved, and could be fun. The second could increase interest in chats, but would result in one person or a few naming all the units.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old April 29, 2003, 11:08   #2
Epistax
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 19:24
Let's name them after celebrities who now have debilitating diseases so they made an organization to fight that disease because they are self centered pieces of crap.

Or Worker 1, 2, etc that works fine.

Can they be renamed during the game? Perhaps our victors in battle should eventually be given names. Such as if they make it all the way to Elite, a number hardly does them justice. Before an attack on an enemy, we could name our troops the various attacking positions they will be following (such as Left Flank 1, 2, etc).

-edit-

Giving them each their own name would be nice too, but I sure will feel like an ass if phalanx Epistax fails to defend against a horseman.
Old April 29, 2003, 11:50   #3
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 00:24
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Um.. Epi... there are no Phalanx in PTW...

I also like the idea of naming units based on their attack plan (therefore making the names temperary) or just naming the Elite units (of course, I would still want to be the "First Knight of Apolyton")
Old April 29, 2003, 13:36   #4
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 19:24
what if i died!?!?!?
Old April 29, 2003, 13:56   #5
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 02:24
hi ,

, we could use the names of people from the first and second game to start with , ....

have a nice day
Old April 29, 2003, 15:29   #6
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Draftees: [order of drafting] [city name] (example: 2nd Termina, 6th Here It Is)

Troops produced "regularly": [order of production] [unit type] (example: 5th Warrior, 35th Berserk ( I know, but I figured we'd be doing lots of warmongering...))

Elites: Each citizen gets to name one elite. If everyone's named one, go back through the order. Ministers get priority, then it goes in order of joining. (If they don't provide a name, just name it after the citizen in question.)

Workers/settlers: Can't think of anything.
Old April 29, 2003, 15:38   #7
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 12:24
Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
what if i died!?!?!?
You wouldn't die - your idiot warriors had failed, but they made damn sure you got back to base to lead a more promising group of soldiers.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old April 29, 2003, 16:56   #8
Octavian X
Civilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HivePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy GameACDG3 GaiansC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Just make a giant list of names for the President to use at his whim...
Old April 29, 2003, 17:06   #9
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 20:24
SMC deals with military unit naming. Not the DM office. However the SMC decides is what should happen, but it would be kinda cool to get some fun names.

Workers should be organized - such as "Stack A, No. 3" for worker number 3 from stack A. This should be flexable as some stacks will change composition as the game progresses and slaves are brought in.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old April 29, 2003, 17:13   #10
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Yes, this is in no way a DM discussion, if anyone was confused, just something I thought should be brought up and could be kinda fun.

I don't think a Pres will want to rename workers any more than he has to, ie for changing stacks. That's why I was thinking a simple Worker 1,2,3,4 and Slave 1,2,3,4 would work best. Then workers 1-3 form stack A and slaves 1-4 + worker 4 would form stack B, so on, so forth.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old April 29, 2003, 17:52   #11
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Yep. Shouldn't be an issue until we kill off the first 3-4 civs anyways...

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old April 29, 2003, 19:18   #12
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 17:24
Quote:
Originally posted by panag
hi ,

, we could use the names of people from the first and second game to start with , ....

have a nice day
There could be players in the first and second games who are not a part of this third game. I'm tied of hearing how we should 'remeber' those from previous games, get over it already.

All units should be eligible to get a name; since the names can be applied posthumously, a poll for each one could be made. I have a better idea below:

Everyone can submit a name and those could be put on a list. The list would eventually be open ended, but in the begining everyone can submitt only one name. Once the list is compiled and each name on the list in numbered, a random number can be picked and the name corresponding to that number is the name for our first unit. The next unit would be the name that came numerically after the first one until all names on the list were exhausted. Then a second name list, which could be set-up before the first one ran out, would be used in the same manner as the first.

There should be a name list made seperately for military units, workers, and towns.

There would be one person in charge of these lists; the DM can do it or delagate it to someone else.
Old April 29, 2003, 19:23   #13
Kuciwalker
Deity

I like Vlad's suggestion, I just have a few modifications:

Garrisons should be named for their city, i.e. Third Valhalla Infantry Regiment/Division/whatever etc.

Offensive troops should be named like so: Third Tank Regiment, Army of Old France, or Border Legion, or whatever (if commas can't be used, omit them).
Old April 29, 2003, 19:34   #14
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 12:24
Second and third game?

/me wonders when he missed the second game...

This IS the second game.

Those who are around for this game as well will end up naming cities. Those who were in the first but not here now should not as a general rule. Forget the firsst game - it's over. We are in a whole new game now. New people (and some oldies! ) with new names.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old May 1, 2003, 00:31   #15
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by BigFree

There could be players in the first and second games who are not a part of this third game. I'm tied of hearing how we should 'remeber' those from previous games, get over it already.

All units should be eligible to get a name; since the names can be applied posthumously, a poll for each one could be made. I have a better idea below:

Everyone can submit a name and those could be put on a list. The list would eventually be open ended, but in the begining everyone can submitt only one name. Once the list is compiled and each name on the list in numbered, a random number can be picked and the name corresponding to that number is the name for our first unit. The next unit would be the name that came numerically after the first one until all names on the list were exhausted. Then a second name list, which could be set-up before the first one ran out, would be used in the same manner as the first.

There should be a name list made seperately for military units, workers, and towns.

There would be one person in charge of these lists; the DM can do it or delagate it to someone else.

hi ,

bigfree ;

, ....

general topic ;

a couple things ; we should PM a person and ask him or her if he or she want a unit or town named after them , .....

have a nice day
Old May 1, 2003, 08:43   #16
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

If we go that route, panag, I think a newsupdate would suffice better than 300 PM's.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old May 1, 2003, 09:42   #17
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

But, panag, if we did that, you'd have one less reason to spam multiple threads.

What am I thinking? You always come up with some reason to hit every thread anyways.
Old May 1, 2003, 10:28   #18
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
If we go that route, panag, I think a newsupdate would suffice better than 300 PM's.
hi ,

allas , ya lazy bugger , .......

okay , if you dont want to do it , i shall do it , i shall send out those 300 messages , ..

like we are going to build 300 cities or units at ones , ...

have a nice day

dejon , mon ami , reste calme