Old April 29, 2003, 14:06   #1
gsmoove23
Warlord

Local Time: 00:24
Local Date: November 2, 2010
What is the DEAL with depleted uranium?
Could someone tell me the reasons we use depleted uranium shells/bullets in our military? Is it simply because this is a heavy metal? are there other reasons? How radioactive is the stuff, does the word 'depleted' mean it is no longer dangerous? Do the advantages it offers outweigh the obvious problems? By using it in a military action aren't we causing major problems for local inhabitants for years to come?

Ever since I first heard about that Navy firing range in Puerto Rico I have been mystified by the fact that our military feels it is appropriate to be flinging bits of radioactive metal around willy-nilly. Whats even more amazing to me is that every time I hear a news report that mentions it they never find it necessary to explain what depleted uranium is and why we use it.

Curious, armchair generals please respond.
Old April 29, 2003, 14:10   #2
Japher
Emperor

quick google search yielded this web site

Not harmful, good armor piercing due to high density.
Old April 29, 2003, 14:11   #3
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 19:24
Local Date: November 1, 2010
yup. it's for bustin up heavy tank hulls.
Old April 29, 2003, 14:13   #4
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

It's a very dense and hard metal. It's very good for piercing armor. Also, it spawls when it hits a target. Spawling is quite devastating to the occupants of a vehicle. The Abrams tanks use a depleted uranium round that don't contain an explosive shell. The sheer kinetic energy obliterates its target.

It's radioactivity is depleted. As for being harmless? Well, I wouldn't want to have some depleted uranium around my sack for any amount of time. But feel free if you think it is harmless.
Old April 29, 2003, 14:18   #5
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 18:24
if you look into it's radiation effects, is is quite harmless unless you are breathing it in or something

than it is really bad

Jon Miller
Old April 29, 2003, 14:19   #6
Sandman
King

Local Time: 01:24
DU is highly toxic. This is main problem with it, not the radioactivity.
Old April 29, 2003, 14:19   #7
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 20:24
I think extensive testing would have to be done in order to be sure of the harmful effects (or lack thereof) of DU. The Army is unlikely to step up and do those tests. It is in their interest not to. It's apparently a very effective material to use for armor-piercing shells.

The problem with exposure to something like DU is that it's probably tough to tell what is due to the DU exposure and what could be due to growing up next to a chemical plant, or smoking a pack a day, or some other exposure to something else entirely.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old April 29, 2003, 14:19   #8
Japher
Emperor

Yeah, Sava, I work with nasty chemicals, elements, and compounds all day, so my definition of harmless is probably not the best definition to go on.
Old April 29, 2003, 14:20   #9
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

@ Japher.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old April 29, 2003, 14:21   #10
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 18:24
I don't know much about toxicity

Jon Miller
Old April 29, 2003, 14:22   #11
gsmoove23
Warlord

It seems the jury is out on whether it is harmless. Japher, the site you gave me has a number of links, some that aren't too sure that DU is safe, others think it is hazardous. Of course, there is a Rand corp. study saying its completely safe but this also came from your site http://www.iacenter.org/depleted/mettoc.htm

I can't help but think of the oft quoted statistic of cancer rates rising 600% in Iraq after the Gulf War.
Old April 29, 2003, 14:24   #12
Arrian
Deity

Just like the oft-quoted figure of 500,000 iraqi children killed by the evil Americans?

Not that I'd trust the Rand study either.

-Arrian

Old April 29, 2003, 14:24   #13
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 14:24
It is an alpha emitter. So if just set it next to your nutsack it won't do much. but if you breath it, it will lodge in your lungs and stay there for long periods of time (can't remember if it is months or forever). If you drink it, it passes from your body quickly, but it does have some chemical toxicity (like lead).
Old April 29, 2003, 14:30   #14
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
Just like the oft-quoted figure of 500,000 iraqi children killed by the evil Americans?

Not that I'd trust the Rand study either.

-Arrian
500,000+ people have died in Iraq since GW1 because of various reasons. That is a fact. Who is responsible? Well that's a different story.
Old April 29, 2003, 14:32   #15
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GP
It is an alpha emitter. So if just set it next to your nutsack it won't do much. but if you breath it, it will lodge in your lungs and stay there for long periods of time (can't remember if it is months or forever). If you drink it, it passes from your body quickly, but it does have some chemical toxicity (like lead).
Again, I'll take your word for it. But I'm not about to let that **** near my boys.
Old April 29, 2003, 14:32   #16
gsmoove23
Warlord

It seems if you take a heavy metal that has harmful side-effects if ingested or inhaled and use it in a shell that will be propelled at incredible speeds into God-knows-what you are asking for trouble. It'll be mashed, shattered, scattered, vaporized, etc...

Anyway, anyone know exactly what munitions this material is used for? Is it only tank and artillery shells or also large caliber machine guns and such.

Arrian, believe me I'm sceptical of the 600% cancer increase figure myself, but I am a lefty afterall so I must consider it.
Old April 29, 2003, 14:34   #17
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

gsmoove: DU is used in tank shells, large calibre machine guns, and some armor.
Old April 29, 2003, 15:25   #18
OneFootInTheGrave
King

radioactive strawberries ...

but here is an useful link
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/95178_du12.shtml

Quote:
A second, potentially more serious hazard is created when a DU round hits its target. As much as 70 percent of the projectile can burn up on impact, creating a firestorm of ceramic DU oxide particles. The residue of this firestorm is an extremely fine ceramic uranium dust that can be spread by the wind, inhaled and absorbed into the human body and absorbed by plants and animals, becoming part of the food chain.

Once lodged in the soil, the munitions can pollute the environment and create up to a hundredfold increase in uranium levels in ground water, according to the U.N. Environmental Program.

Studies show it can remain in human organs for years.

The U.S. Army acknowledges the hazards in a training manual, in which it requires that anyone who comes within 25 meters of any DU-contaminated equipment or terrain wear respiratory and skin protection, and states that "contamination will make food and water unsafe for consumption."

Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good.
Old April 29, 2003, 15:27   #19
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by gsmoove23
It seems if you take a heavy metal that has harmful side-effects if ingested or inhaled and use it in a shell that will be propelled at incredible speeds into God-knows-what you are asking for trouble. It'll be mashed, shattered, scattered, vaporized, etc...

Anyway, anyone know exactly what munitions this material is used for? Is it only tank and artillery shells or also large caliber machine guns and such.

Arrian, believe me I'm sceptical of the 600% cancer increase figure myself, but I am a lefty afterall so I must consider it.
The Phalanx anti-missile gatling guns use it.
Old April 29, 2003, 15:42   #20
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 02:24
It turns into toxic dust when it hits the target, and this dust could spread by the wind all over the place for years to come. Basically, I would call it a "dirty bomb". (Isn't that what you call toxic bombs made of nuclear waste?)
Old April 29, 2003, 16:50   #21
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Olaf Hårfagre
It turns into toxic dust when it hits the target, and this dust could spread by the wind all over the place for years to come. Basically, I would call it a "dirty bomb". (Isn't that what you call toxic bombs made of nuclear waste?)
That's what we call it when other people do the same thing.
Old April 29, 2003, 18:00   #22
gsmoove23
Warlord

How is the benefit worth the risk? Unless these shells offer an incredible tactical difference why would we be willing to use them? Even if they do I somehow doubt the war would have went any differently if we used conventional ammunition.
Old April 29, 2003, 18:17   #23
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
How is the benefit worth the risk? Unless these shells offer an incredible tactical difference why would we be willing to use them? Even if they do I somehow doubt the war would have went any differently if we used conventional ammunition.
Study basic physics. Look at the density of uranium. Do some calculations of momentum/kinetic energy. You could also look at some of the actual testing.

Your answer is actually quite revealing. If I boil it down, it says, "I can't figure out how to compare efficacy, but I'm going to make pronoucements anyway."

Last edited by TCO; April 29, 2003 at 19:07.
Old April 29, 2003, 18:26   #24
raghar
Chieftain

Tungusteen. Is it called that way? Tungusteen is slightly less effective in manufacturing, but offers almost simillar capebilities. Current tank ammo looks like 2 cm rod with predeffined break points. It has still somewhat worse armor penetreation than bow's arrow. Normalised by power of projectile of course.

There is a lot of DU, or was. So companies needed to find some use for DU. There is some reaction with steel, and easier manufacture than tungusteen. US corporations started to use DU.
BTW I think use of DU in MMG is somewhat stupid.
Old April 29, 2003, 18:33   #25
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:
That's just the point -- they do offer an incredible tactical difference.

I think that's one reason so many governments are screaming about our use of them.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old April 29, 2003, 18:35   #26
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by GP

The Phalanx anti-missile gatling guns use it.
Yes they do, having worked on PHALANX for 5 years, loading and unloading the weapon at various times, I have had no adverse effects.

Except, maybe, my third eye.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old April 29, 2003, 18:38   #27
gsmoove23
Warlord

GP, all very well and good, but you didn't say anything. For instance, do you think that conventional ammo would have faced much difficulty in disabling Iraqi armor quickly and efficiently. I doubt it. This is the disproportionate use of a weapon with potentially dangerous side-effects, no one can say for sure what the side-effects are because no one has taken the time to seriously study the subject.

I wouldn't have any particular problems with its use if American tanks were facing up against weapons systems that offered them a significant challenge where you might be able to say use of DU will save x amount of soldiers but I do not think thats the case here. If you do please take the time to explain how.
Old April 29, 2003, 18:41   #28
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
GP, all very well and good, but you didn't say anything
He rarely does.
Old April 29, 2003, 18:49   #29
lightblue
Warlord

Local Time: 01:24
Did you see the US and UK tanks that were shot at by Irqi armed vehicles and heavy machineguns? A lot of them shurgged it off, only leading to denting of the outer shell of the tanks.

Compare that with a DU shell hitting one of the T-55s...
It’s a great art, is rowing. It’s the finest art there is. It’s a symphony of motion. And when you reach perfection, you are touching the divine. It touches the you of yous – which is your soul. George Pocock
What fun is that? Why all that hard, exhausting work? Where does it get you? What is the good of it? It is one of the strange ironies of life that those who work the hardest, who subject themselves to the strictest discipline, who give up certain pleasurable things in order to achieve a goal, are the happiest. Brutus Hamilton
Old April 29, 2003, 18:51   #30
Tuberski

Quote:
GP, all very well and good, but you didn't say anything. For instance, do you think that conventional ammo would have faced much difficulty in disabling Iraqi armor quickly and efficiently. I doubt it. This is the disproportionate use of a weapon with potentially dangerous side-effects, no one can say for sure what the side-effects are because no one has taken the time to seriously study the subject.

I wouldn't have any particular problems with its use if American tanks were facing up against weapons systems that offered them a significant challenge where you might be able to say use of DU will save x amount of soldiers but I do not think thats the case here. If you do please take the time to explain how.
You never, ever, go into a battle with less than the best you can field. Anything less and you are doing your soldiers an injustice.

You can't say that other shells are going to work as well, prove that, and then we can discuss using DU.

DU was developed to penetrate modern armor, which the Iraqi's had. If normal rounds would have penetrated modern armor, DU wouldn't have been developed.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."