View Poll Results: How would the world react to US pulling all forces out of all countries?
Chaos would reign! The world decends into regional conflicts 22 44.00%
Peace would reign! The world's problem causer has gone home 9 18.00%
The US is gone? Who could tell? 6 12.00%
Other-please post 7 14.00%
The world becomes a Banana Republic 6 12.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 29, 2003, 16:34   #1
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 19:25
Local Date: November 1, 2010
What would the world be like if US pulled out of everywhere?
So much discussion on people being happy that the US is pulling out of this place or considering pulling out of that one.

What is your real opinion on the US taking an isolationist position? Would this be good or bad for the world? Which countries would it help the most and which would it hurt the most?

Here's your chance to make your case.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old April 29, 2003, 16:44   #2
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 00:25
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Everyone would get F'd, even the US.
Old April 29, 2003, 16:46   #3
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 02:25
If I recall right, GW Bush promised to take a more isolationist position during his election campaign. We haven't seen much of that after he won, have we? The only isolationist act I can think of was the introduction of import duties on steel.
Old April 29, 2003, 16:47   #4
yavoon
Warlord

yah olaf, 9-11 happened.
Old April 29, 2003, 16:49   #5
Japher
Emperor

I think 9/11 forced him to reconsider that.
Old April 29, 2003, 16:52   #6
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 17:25
If the U.S. doesn't pull out soon, somebody's gonna end up in a clinic!
Old April 29, 2003, 16:53   #7
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

If the US were to pull out EVERYWHERE......Well, lets just say North Korea and folk would LOVE it
Old April 29, 2003, 16:56   #8
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Japher
I think 9/11 forced him to reconsider that.
In case of the Afghanistan war, fair enough, but what about North Korea, Iraq and the arrogant "Axis of Evil" diplomacy? What would that have to do with 9/11?
Old April 29, 2003, 16:56   #9
Japher
Emperor

Yeah, North Korea, China, and Russia would have a field day. What about Pakistan?

I think Africa's population would half in about one year.

Come to think of it, I think the whole world population would drop drastically, and quick.

The olympics would be boring.

Would cuba be our best friend?
Old April 29, 2003, 16:58   #10
yavoon
Warlord

9-11 changed a lot of american views. ur being really narrow minded about this olaf. were u unaware that 9-11 had a drastic change on a lot of american views or are u just trying to steup some kind of ground to fight on?
Old April 29, 2003, 16:58   #11
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Local Time: 16:25
Why would we be screwed if we pulled out of everywhere militairly? First of all we would be saving lots of money, and second of all, everyone who hates us would stop hating us.
Old April 29, 2003, 16:58   #12
Japher
Emperor

Quote:
what about North Korea, Iraq and the arrogant "Axis of Evil" diplomacy? What would that have to do with 9/11?
They support terrorists... supposidly. So, THEY MUST DIE!!!
Old April 29, 2003, 16:59   #13
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 01:25
I don't think they should pull out everywhere. In South Korea, for instance, their presence seems to be necessary. But they could for a start pull out of Europe.
Old April 29, 2003, 16:59   #14
Chemical Ollie
King

I assume you are ironic?

Edit: Japher, that is
Old April 29, 2003, 17:00   #15
Japher
Emperor

Quote:
Why would we be screwed if we pulled out of everywhere militairly?
Good question. Long answer. Short answer; the question was about isolationism, and IMO that means more than just removing ones military.
Old April 29, 2003, 17:01   #16
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

I don't think it would have that much effect, since US troops are not the bulk of peacekeeping forces (except in Iraq, and maybe Afghanistan, but I'm not sure of it). So, it wouldn't make internal chaos more likely or not.

There are two areas where US troops have a cold-war-like deterrent role to foreign agression : Europe and East Asia. In Europe, they are now useless, since Russia doesn't intend to invade anytime soon. In East Asia, the pulling out of troops would probably give Kim more incentive to start a war and wreak havoc. Even if Kim doesn't do this, it will give much more leeway to China once it becomes militarily ambitious, and the pulling out of there could help starting a war too.

I don't think US troops stationed in the ME have any effect on the order/chaos there. And I'm not aware of any massive US stationaing in Africa.

In short : should the US pull out of everywhere in the world, things would be mostly unchanged, except in eastern Asia where war and chaos would be more likely.
Old April 29, 2003, 17:01   #17
Japher
Emperor

Quote:
I assume you are ironic?
Me?

I hope so.
Old April 29, 2003, 17:02   #18
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Ah, so it seems I misunderstood the question.
Old April 29, 2003, 17:02   #19
Japher
Emperor

Quote:
Ah, so it seems I misunderstood the question.
or I did?
Old April 29, 2003, 17:02   #20
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

9/11 did change a lot of American perceptions about what to do in the world. Wherever US troops have been stationed for the long term, it seems to me that peace has reigned. Places that have had little or no US troop presence seem to be where the trouble spots are. Don't get me wrong, I am NOT advocating US troop presences everywhere there is trouble. It just does seem that they have a stabalizing influence whereever they have been LONG TERM.
Old April 29, 2003, 17:06   #21
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
I don't think they should pull out everywhere. In South Korea, for instance, their presence seems to be necessary. But they could for a start pull out of Europe.
Old April 29, 2003, 17:06   #22
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Not in Korea. That theory works in Europe, Japan. Also not in Afghanistan. (but we didnt have troops there, we had CIA. Maybe that doesnt count)
Old April 29, 2003, 17:07   #23
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by yavoon
9-11 changed a lot of american views. ur being really narrow minded about this olaf. were u unaware that 9-11 had a drastic change on a lot of american views or are u just trying to steup some kind of ground to fight on?
Yeah, it changed a lot of minds, just like Bin Ladin wanted. But why does the Americans want to attack people who had nothing to do with it?
Old April 29, 2003, 17:09   #24
yavoon
Warlord

it changed our minds on how we have to deal w/ certain types of countries in the world.

is that plain enuff for u olaf?
Old April 29, 2003, 17:11   #25
I Am Jeff
Civilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:25
If the U.S. became isolationist, the world would be less safe and the chance for a WWIII becomes greater.

Lets point to some historical precedents. The U.S. was isolationist during the early 20th century. WWI broke out and for about the last year the U.S. was some what forced to join in and stop the war.

The U.S. was also Isolationist before WWII to an extent. Signs of Germany regaining power were clear when Hitler came to power. And Japan, who was bitter over the treaty to WWI, was angry at the U.S. The world saw what Hitler was doing in the early 30's but no one reacted. Nearing the end of the decade everyone knew the war was coming and this is when the U.S. started to build up and get ready for war.

Bottom line is, if there is no threat of punishment for doing something bad, people will do bad things. Becoming isolationist now, will not stop the fire of hatred towards the U.S. in the middle east. And then with the threat of retaliation gone, attacks would be greater. Not only to the U.S., but to Europe as well.

If the U.S. were to become Isolationist, something will fill the power vaccume. My choice for which would fill this is China. Would the world really be better if this happend? We all saw what china did with SARS, they denied its knowledge for weeks (maybe months). They are still too oppressive to help the world.
Old April 29, 2003, 17:15   #26
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

The world would be better off, but I didn't vote the second option. That's just ignorant.

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old April 29, 2003, 17:17   #27
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by yavoon
it changed our minds on how we have to deal w/ certain types of countries in the world.

is that plain enuff for u olaf?
Your answer explains why the number of US bashers have increased after the initial 9/11 sympathy. The world hates US because the US hates the world after 9/11. Bin Ladin won - Bush fell right into his trap!
Old April 29, 2003, 17:18   #28
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Quote:
If the U.S. became isolationist, the world would be less safe and the chance for a WWIII becomes greater.

Lets point to some historical precedents. The U.S. was isolationist during the early 20th century. WWI broke out and for about the last year the U.S. was some what forced to join in and stop the war.

The U.S. was also Isolationist before WWII to an extent. Signs of Germany regaining power were clear when Hitler came to power. And Japan, who was bitter over the treaty to WWI, was angry at the U.S. The world saw what Hitler was doing in the early 30's but no one reacted. Nearing the end of the decade everyone knew the war was coming and this is when the U.S. started to build up and get ready for war.

Bottom line is, if there is no threat of punishment for doing something bad, people will do bad things. Becoming isolationist now, will not stop the fire of hatred towards the U.S. in the middle east. And then with the threat of retaliation gone, attacks would be greater. Not only to the U.S., but to Europe as well.

If the U.S. were to become Isolationist, something will fill the power vaccume. My choice for which would fill this is China. Would the world really be better if this happend? We all saw what china did with SARS, they denied its knowledge for weeks (maybe months). They are still too oppressive to help the world.
If China wants to, let them. If it takes a country to be the worlds policemen, thats fine. But im tired of getting my country blamed for all of the worlds problems, and Im tired of being threatened by some tin pot dictator/ tin pot fundamentalist. If we pull our military out of everywhere, and stop meddeling in other people's crap, OBL and terrorism will disappear.
Old April 29, 2003, 17:18   #29
PLATO
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by orange
The world would be better off, but I didn't vote the second option. That's just ignorant.
Hence, the "Other" category. But thanks for the input...I guess.
Old April 29, 2003, 17:24   #30
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

that's what I chose.

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui