Old April 29, 2003, 19:41   #1
Spec
Emperor

Local Time: 00:25
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Beer Fans Come Here!!
Who here likes beer?

Well I sure do! I ran into this store today that imports beers from all over the world and I wanted advice and names from all you foriegn people. (just joking).
I have been making a beer collection (yes the bottles are empty) for many years and I had been running out of new bottles to buy. But now, a whole WORLD of hublon is open to me! I need names of good beers and the name of your country so that I ask if he can get them!

Thank you!

Spec.
Old April 29, 2003, 19:42   #2
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 18:25
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Beer? Christ, there's cheaper ways to get drunk and there's better tasting drinks if you don't want to get drunk.
Old April 29, 2003, 19:43   #3
Spec
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
Beer? Christ, there's cheaper ways to get drunk and there's better tasting drinks if you don't want to get drunk.
Depends on your taste Asher, and the title said Beer fans, go troll else where.

Thank you.

Spec.
Old April 29, 2003, 19:44   #4
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 17:25
In college I had a beer bottle collection with more then 300 different types of beer. It kind of took over the apartment and even after we washed out the bottles we'd still get small flies breeding inside of them. Try Macking girls at your house when it smells like stale beer and has lots of little flies buzzing her all of the time. I doesn't work well; trust me.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old April 29, 2003, 19:46   #5
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 02:25
Umm, too much to list.

Some examples:

Germany: Warsteiner, Holsten, Flensburger . . .
The original (Czech) Budweiser, which has fortunately nothing to do with the US Bud.
Old April 29, 2003, 19:46   #6
Oerdin
Deity

I'd also like to take this time to say that Raid's home foggers don't work very well at all. We had to set those things off in the old apartment half a dozen times and they never succeed in killing all of the little bastards.

Enjoy the beer but don't keep the bottles.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old April 29, 2003, 19:50   #7
Oerdin
Deity

Go down to your local Beverages & more and just start buying different beers. Also most Super markets stock different brands so shop around and you'll find a large variety. Lastly, Alan Jackson has written a dozen different "Best Beers of the World" books and Beer Magazine is filled with many exellent but little known favorites.
Old April 29, 2003, 19:51   #8
Spec
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
In college I had a beer bottle collection with more then 300 different types of beer. It kind of took over the apartment and even after we washed out the bottles we'd still get small flies breeding inside of them. Try Macking girls at your house when it smells like stale beer and has lots of little flies buzzing her all of the time. I doesn't work well; trust me.

I made shelves 3" wide from floor to roof in the basement and it takes to wall, it looks very good. Also, if you dont want it to smell, you just have to rinse the bottle with paint thiner before you put them in the shelves. And lastly, I already have a girlfriend, a kid and a house so I have no problems with what you mentioned.

Can we stick to the subject now?

SPec.
Old April 29, 2003, 19:54   #9
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

My favorite beer, probably because it is the first one I ever appreciated, is the Dithmarscher Urtyp from northern Germany.

Also, Adelscott (with whiskey malt) from France rules
Old April 29, 2003, 19:56   #10
Spec
Emperor

Quote:
Go down to your local Beverages & more and just start buying different beers. Also most Super markets stock different brands so shop around and you'll find a large variety. Lastly, Alan Jackson has written a dozen different "Best Beers of the World" books and Beer Magazine is filled with many exellent but little known favorites.
Dude, I have over 550 different beers, trust me Supermarkets and such cant help me.
Thanks for Alan Jackson though, I'll check it out,
Old April 29, 2003, 19:57   #11
Oerdin
Deity

Spiffor: Is there an internet site where I can buy either of those and have them shipped to the U.S.?
Old April 29, 2003, 19:58   #12
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

Local Time: 20:25
Got any Granville Island Brewery stuff from BC?

Or Big Rock from AB?
Old April 29, 2003, 20:00   #13
Spec
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by dejon
Got any Granville Island Brewery stuff from BC?

Or Big Rock from AB?
Thanks guys, keep them coming.
Old April 29, 2003, 20:07   #14
Oerdin
Deity

Any beer from Mendicino brewing company of Fort Bragg, CA as well as any beer (though my favorite is "Arrogent Bastard Ale") from the Stone Brewing company of Carlesbad, CA. Prohibition Ale from the Prohibition Brewing Company of San Fransisco is also a good beer for not alot of money.

Trader Joe's rotates through a bunch of microbrews with about 25% changing each month. You might also consider checking out some of the wine sites on the internet as many of them have sister sites dedicated to Beer and they will ship directly to your home.
Old April 29, 2003, 20:12   #15
Oerdin
Deity

If you like British style nut brown ales then the Sacramento Brewing company's River Otter Ale is reasonably good at a cheap price. Karl Strauss of San Diego makes a really full bodied Irish Red ale named "Trolley ale" (named after San Diego's line of red street cars).

Lastly, If you have money for a vacation (I know you have a girlfriend, child, and house payments to make) then you may consider going to Portland Oregon since that city has more beer breweries located with in its city limits then any other city in America. I can personally vouch for a good dozen of the them.
Old April 29, 2003, 20:18   #16
Oerdin
Deity

Here's a link to the All About Beer Magazine which I like to read on a regular basis. They have an annual awards issue where they have 50 different catagories and they name the best beer in each one plus a buyers guide and information on how to get each of these brews in a glass near you. Enjoy.
Old April 29, 2003, 20:24   #17
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Spiffor: Is there an internet site where I can buy either of those and have them shipped to the U.S.?
Edit : well, I may have found something that ships abroad. I have asked them through e-mail. I'll give you the link (only in French, sorry) if it's positive

Last edited by Spiffor; April 29, 2003 at 20:48.
Old April 29, 2003, 20:25   #18
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 19:25
Bishops Finger (no bull$hit) England
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old April 29, 2003, 21:38   #19
Menlas
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:25
Yay, beer is good

Belgian beers are generally very fine : Kriek and Leffe rule for example
I'll add a special mention for the irish Guinness

P.S : found a beer database, check them all :

http://www.beer.com/scripts/ca/BeerFinder/beer.php
Old April 29, 2003, 22:50   #20
Spec
Emperor

Quote:
Any beer from Mendicino brewing company of Fort Bragg, CA as well as any beer (though my favorite is "Arrogent Bastard Ale") from the Stone Brewing company of Carlesbad, CA. Prohibition Ale from the Prohibition Brewing Company of San Fransisco is also a good beer for not alot of money.
Old April 29, 2003, 23:52   #21
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 14:25
BODDINGTON'S PUB ALE!!! It's oh-so-smooth and tastes so good. It's in a brown and yellow pint can AFAIK. A store sells it here and daaaamn is it good! *drool*
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old April 30, 2003, 01:46   #22
Sten Sture
Emperor

Local Time: 16:25
The Mendocino Brewery is in Hopland!

And are tasty. Blackhawk Stout is a fav.
Old April 30, 2003, 02:21   #23
Combat Ingrid
Prince

Local Time: 09:25
If you like porter/stout you should look for Carnegie Porter
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	pripps-carnegie.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	43603  
Old April 30, 2003, 02:31   #24
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 09:25
Gotta go for Newcastle Brown Ale (in the pint Bottle!). Everyone should drink that - and they sponsor a great footy team.

Don't ever drink either Fiji Lite or Chilean Crocodile Beer. Both will give you a nasty case of the two-bobs.
Old April 30, 2003, 08:27   #25
Spec
Emperor

I hope that store can get them for a good price! Sometimes they go up to 10$ a bottle because of importation and shipping fees.

Keep them comin guys! Thank you!

Spec.
Old April 30, 2003, 08:45   #26
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

delirium tremens, stella artois, hoegaerden, leffe, duvel, palm, gueuze, kriek, and the list goes on endlessly

belgian beers..
Old April 30, 2003, 08:50   #27
Kropotkin
Emperor

Damn it Combat Ingrid beat me to it!!

Carnegie Porter (Sweden) is indeed very nice, but it's not a beer to get drunk on. Few good beers are made in Sweden but another good brand is Nils Oscar that has a number of different beers that are worth trying.
Old April 30, 2003, 09:04   #28
Firelad
Settler

1. Guinness!!! (Have you seen me photo? If not, I'll post it again )
2. Staropramen - Czech beer
3. Barbar - I know it's made in Belgium although it seems to be something quite different than most Belgian ales.. The paper on the bottle is a little torn (I got the bottle half-empty from a nice Scottish person I met in a pub after we both were quite drunk...) so perhaps it's some sort of latin-american style or something, the illustration looks that way. Stong blond Ale with honey, very interesting and very very good...
4. The Forbidden Fruit by Hoegaardern (and Hoegaarden itself), Stella Artois(Belgian), Warsteiner (German beer! ) are nice, although not as unique as any of the others (except for Staro, it's not so special, just good)
5. Leffe - I don't care for it meself although such a throng of me mates swear by it that I must recommend a try.

Last and definitely not least (On the countrary!) - Guinness

Sláinte!
~Mark

EDIT: Added info...
Old April 30, 2003, 09:20   #29
The Emperor Fabulous
Civ4 SP Democracy Game
King

Guiness is my personal fave.

Though I'm not a HUGE beer fan.
Old April 30, 2003, 10:42   #30
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

Theres two above all:
Stella Artois from Belgium and all the fuzzy German hefe-weissbeers, Franziskaner, Weihenstephaner, Scheider Weisse, Ayinger they rock!

- Paul Valery