Old April 29, 2003, 23:46   #1
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Local Time: 20:27
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Nuclear Weapons
I am probably too cautious about using nuclear weapons in wartime, because I'm afraid the AI's will gang up on me.

The first nuke I used it CivIII was to start a war by denying a civ the use of uranium. The whole world declared war on me. Not good. I lost that game

Other time I used nukes is when I was at war already, and was nuked once. I then nuked back, and was fine. It seems 1 nuke/turn keeps the AI from declaring war.

Thoughts/experiences/wild stories??
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old April 30, 2003, 00:02   #2
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 00:27
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Depends on difficulty level and your power. As well as who you are friends with. If you are MPP'ed with world powers (assuming you're not among the top 2) your repuation might take a hit but usually, the smaller powers can do nothing but watch in horror.
Old April 30, 2003, 00:42   #3
peterfharris
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Prince

I understand that if you are the first to use a nuclear weapon then anyone you are not allied with will declare war on you. (I am do not know what MPP partners do). I understand you get a serious diplomatic hit with everyone.
Old April 30, 2003, 01:43   #4
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

MPP partners may wait after the MPP expire to declare war.
Old April 30, 2003, 02:42   #5
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

I almost always stockpile nukes and blast everyone the turn before my spaceship launch - so satisfying You have three or four cities producing SSCs, so the reat can quite happily produce ICMBs for 20-30 turns.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old April 30, 2003, 02:42   #6
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 09:27
If you have enough weapons stockpiled to nuke almost every worthwhile city in the word in one turn, this won't happen since you can send your modern armour to roll over what's left (which isn't much).

Old April 30, 2003, 02:43   #7
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 09:27
Nice avatar WOA.

GM has to be my favourite composer.
Old April 30, 2003, 02:49   #8
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Why thankyou Agathon Mine too.

The trouble with trying to roll over everyone after a good nuking is that the cities are often too far away, and I've just blown up all the railways! When I've been playing total peaceful builder, and the ruddy Persians have been threatening me for techs and gold for 5,000 years, then the deserve the nasty surprise. I don't want their stinking cities either - the pollution in their territory is lowering theirscore - not mine.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old April 30, 2003, 03:04   #9
cumi
Warlord

Local Time: 01:27
Quote:
Originally posted by Agathon
If you have enough weapons stockpiled to nuke almost every worthwhile city in the word in one turn, this won't happen since you can send your modern armour to roll over what's left (which isn't much).

I use exactly the same strategy.

Don't start the nuclear war with 1-2 nukes. Build, if possible the national defence wonder and built SAM missile battery in every city (important for you). Then build 15-20 ICBMs, or load the nukes into your nuklear submarines and go to the possition and wait.
Old April 30, 2003, 05:53   #10
Cruddy
Warlord

Local Time: 01:27
I only launch nukes for one of 2 reasons;

1) There is a big naval stack approaching some undefended cities and the forces there cannot defend themselves without a nuke hit. Hits on naval targets cause no pollution (but the AI rarely stacks naval into a juicy target, unlike Civ2).

2) An enemy has recently captured a nearby city. The nuke removes 50% of his army and I can rush units to mop up.

One game there was an unexpected benefit - the city had lots of jungle around it. Nuking the city and depolluting took 30% or so less effort than clearing the jungle.

Apart from that, the AI attitude shift just isn't worth it - not for my games, anyway.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old April 30, 2003, 12:58   #11
HazieDaVampire
King

I love turning my planet into a desert planet, i'm doing it right now. The Suns dark red now! MUHAHAHAHA, i mite post a pic a little later, been real busy.