Old April 30, 2003, 15:18   #1
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 18:29
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Trappings of War: Volume VIII
The Trappings of War: Volume VIII
An UnOrthOdOx View of the Glory of War

Aro gently prodded me awake, pointing off into the distance.

“Land approaches, we should get prepared.”

I looked off in the direction to which he pointed, then all around the ship. It is a disconcerting feeling, a solitary ship in a vast expanse of nothing but a smooth field of blue. “I don’t see anything, what are you talking about?”

“Over there, near the surface.” He pointed again.

Straining my eyes to see, I could make out what appeared to be a small cloud on the horizon. “Looks more like a squall kicking up to me than it does land, what ARE you talking about?”

“That is no cloud, they’re birds you blind old bat.”

“Ok, they’re birds. What’s your point?” I asked, staring blankly at him.

“Haven’t you learned anything yet? Sailing half way around the world and you still don’t know the first thing of sailing! They are obviously feeding on fish, you often see birds doing that, and to be concentrated so heavily in one area, I would say that must be one mighty school of fish there, follow? Well, eventually a bird needs land, so, land approaches. You mentioned before Zenophobia had a mighty fishing industry, I’ll wager that is Zenophobia we are approaching now.”

There comes a point in every man’s life when he is presented with an answer to a question that is perfectly logical, and easily ascertained when one puts his mind to it, and yet for some reason that answer will invariably escape him until someone points it out directly to him. “Damn you. You’re too smart for your own good. Come on my boat and make me look a fool?” And with that we had a good laugh.

Sure enough, as the boat approached, it became clear that these were indeed birds diving into the sea and plucking out their dinner. Even closer, and we could see a great shadow moving below the surface, and occasional glint of sun shining of an individual fish. And, it was not long after that when we spotted the shores of Zenophobia.

Immediately upon landing, it was apparent that Master Zen had been kept away for some time on his Foreign Affairs duties. The place was in slight disarray, and people began scrambling to look busy at the sight of our ship. Still, once motivated, things moved just fine and it was not long before our ship was unloaded and several carts were full of the Lego material for a journey up to Camulodunum, which is what hEtErOdOx, my wife, had decided to rename Taipei.

It did not take long to navigate the carts over the mountains and into the plains upon which Camulodunum sat, and it was a happy sight to see. It was obvious that hEtErOdOx had kept the workers well in line and the town seemed to be running just fine without my direct attention. As we approached, two figures came rushing to meet us, and it quickly became apparent that these were my wife and our youngest son, schIsmAtIc.

schIsmAtIc, though rushed right past me, excitedly screaming “Uncle Aro!!!” while he leaped into Aro’s arms. A boy of now six, I was surprised he even remembered Aro from what had to have been at least two years ago now. Still, Aro and I were nearly inseparable back then, and with myself as a General, I had little time for play in those days. I could see how he had made such an impression upon young schI, he always did have a way with children.

My wife, however, at least stopped to kiss me first before rushing over to hug old Aro, clearly glad to see him again. “Where is sEctArIAn?” I asked, glancing around.

“He turned eight last week, love. I sent him to be trained with Uber, just like we had discussed” hEtErOdOx answered. I had completely lost track of the days while I had been locked away in the prison. “So, Aro, what brings you back here, I thought you were to map the world first?”

“Well, I had to save your sorry husbands ass again. I couldn’t bear the thought of your wrath should I have allowed his thickheaded stubborn actions to get the better of him. I figured I had better see him all the way home lest he find himself some other trouble to get into.” Aro half-joked as we headed back to town.

As Aro and I oversaw the unloading of my precious cargo, schI came running up. “Daddy, daddy, that birdy stole my soldier!” He cried as he pointed towards a raven as it lofted away, a bronze toy soldier still in his beak.

I sat there for a second, a thought running through my mind, before bending down “schI, how would you like it if daddy helped you catch that bird tomorrow?”

There is perhaps nothing more beautiful in this world than the look of joy washing over a child’s face, and as he grinned, he nodded and rushed to tell his mother. “What was that about?” Aro asked.

“What? My son needs his toy back, doesn’t he?” I answered, unable to keep the grin from my face.

“No, you’re up to something, I can see it, come on out with it!”

“You’re the expert on birds here mister, or have you forgotten. You tell ME what I am thinking.” I was now attempting to hold back a laugh.

“Oh, fine then, you keep your secret. I’ll figure it out, don’t worry, and then Ill laugh at you when your plan fails, as it is bound to do without my input.” Unable to hold back anymore, I began laughing, and was soon joined by Aro.

That evening was a pleasant one spent gathered around the fire, simply enjoying each other’s company well into the night. I finally drifted off to sleep anxious to see Aro’s reaction when I showed him my Dragon the following day.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old April 30, 2003, 15:18   #2
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 18:29
Behold my ability to use a thesaurus to name my family...

For those wanting a cleaner, and more linear view on these, Master Zen has allowed me a dedicated thread on his site which I started while 'poly was down.

It has nothing but these, in order, and it is kept better edited with the spelling/grammar I find.

http://central.masterzen.net/index.p...123f28c9c172bd

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Last edited by UnOrthOdOx; April 30, 2003 at 15:33.
Old April 30, 2003, 15:59   #3
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

Local Time: 20:29
UnOrthOdOx,

I had kept putting off reading these for various reasons, most of all because I wanted to be able to concentrate and read them all together. (Many of my 'net breaks are too short for that.)

Anyways, I just finally read them, from I to VIII. I have only one thing to say: Awesome work! I look forward to reading future volumes now that I am caught up.
Old April 30, 2003, 16:27   #4
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Great stuff!
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old April 30, 2003, 16:28   #5
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

oh, and I love the synonyms for unorthodox as your family names!
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old April 30, 2003, 17:16   #6
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 17:29
Keep'em coming!
Old May 1, 2003, 00:16   #7
Wooglin
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:29
Unbelieveable.

-Woog
Old May 1, 2003, 01:12   #8
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 01:29
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Yep, fine reading - I read and enjoy them all.