Old April 30, 2003, 20:49   #1
vee4473
King

Local Time: 19:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
A TBS/Sim hybrid
I have been wondering this for a while.

A game that combined the typical TBS gaming of Civ with a flight sim or ground combat vehicle sim would be interesting I think.

I mean, say you have a jet fighter on one square that is about to attack a jet fighter on another square.

Then the game switches to a play mode such as any air combat simulator...and you dogfight until someone wins.

Same for tank battles or any other ground or naval battles.

Picture any attack sub simulator as the general idea for resolving a sub on ship battle.

I realize that this would tend to make a game tedious after you have so many units and battles, but on a small scale it seems fun to me.

I mean, you have a ground soldier on a sqaure and you decide to attack another unit, and BAM!!! the game goes into a 1st person shooter mode to see who wins the battle. And then it returns to the base TBS gameplay.

Only combat is resolved this way. The rest of the game is pure TBS. To minimize random attack/defense point systems. The more skillful dogfighter/tank commander/subcommander etc. wins.

I guess such a game is out of reach. But I bet it could be an interesting hybrid of TBS and action FPS.
Old May 1, 2003, 06:01   #2
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 02:31
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Since I don't like Simulation games, it proberbly wouldn't be something for me, but the idea sounds interesting

I had a simular idea, though it was about mixing tbs with fighting games... Where you have several fighters, and several enemies at the same time, where you have to choose what your fighters should do (attack (how?), or defense (how?))...

Sure, it might not be the most fun game ever, but it's different than any other game I have seen... which is a large plus for me
Old May 1, 2003, 06:10   #3
Static Universe
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 18:31
Quote:
Originally posted by ADG

I had a simular idea, though it was about mixing tbs with fighting games... Where you have several fighters, and several enemies at the same time, where you have to choose what your fighters should do (attack (how?), or defense (how?))...

Sure, it might not be the most fun game ever, but it's different than any other game I have seen... which is a large plus for me
Sounds sort of like an old game called Archon.
Old May 1, 2003, 09:43   #4
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Doesn't sounds alike, from what I read (Didn't read all though)... In my idea, it'svery complex, since it allows you to do things, you can't do in normal fighting games

(If I post all my ideas about this game, then it'll take a lot of time to write it)
Old May 1, 2003, 10:47   #5
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 08:31
Actually, there are a number of RPG's that are like that. Ultima (from 3 on), Wizardry (6-8), etc. The Total War games are like that too. Of course, don't forget UFO: Enemy Unknown.
Old May 1, 2003, 12:13   #6
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I've thought about this before as well, though I was leaning towards a RTS style resolution of battles.

I hate to be cynical, but TBS games don't come out polished now, what would happen if this was tried? It would have to be seamless, but I fear that anything would seem like it was just slapped on.
Old May 1, 2003, 12:38   #7
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
Actually, there are a number of RPG's that are like that. Ultima (from 3 on), Wizardry (6-8), etc. The Total War games are like that too. Of course, don't forget UFO: Enemy Unknown.
I hope you're not talking about my idea, since this one has nothing in common with those mentioned... I guess you're thinking about my idea in a completely different way, as I'm thinking...
Old May 1, 2003, 16:42   #8
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 03:31
There was this futuristic 3d tank sim involving command of a tactical group, I can't remember its name, but it sounded great at the time.
Old May 1, 2003, 19:57   #9
Felch
Civilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 20:31
Lords of the Realm had real time strategy battles in a turn based game. It wasn't the most fun game I've ever played.
Old May 1, 2003, 20:24   #10
vee4473
King

Age of Wonders 2 does a fun job of turning battles into a more "player involved" setting.

I guess I am just thinking that a game that goes from TBS piece moving to FPS or RTS action (where the game actually seems like at one point you are playing Civ, the next Quake, the next Commanche etc...) would be fun.

Although, like I said before, this would probably be too tedious in a big game, but in smaller games damn fun.
Old May 2, 2003, 00:10   #11
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
I hope you're not talking about my idea, since this one has nothing in common with those mentioned... I guess you're thinking about my idea in a completely different way, as I'm thinking...
I was talking about your idea. Unless, by "fighting games" you meant those waste-of-time arcade games like Street Fighter XXIV. They all boil down to who can whip out those "special moves" fastest.
Old May 2, 2003, 09:48   #12
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
I was talking about your idea. Unless, by "fighting games" you meant those waste-of-time arcade games like Street Fighter XXIV. They all boil down to who can whip out those "special moves" fastest.
That's what I'm talking about... and yes, I agree, they're all about being the fastest to do special movies... that's the reason why I wanted it to be turn based intead, since then it's not about doing the first kick, but instead about doing the right kick...
Old May 2, 2003, 13:21   #13
Urban Ranger
Deity

Turn based? Wouldn't it become something small squad actions such as Jagged Alliance?
Old May 2, 2003, 13:26   #14
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

I don't know JA... what is it?
Old May 2, 2003, 22:08   #15
Urban Ranger
Deity

It's a small scale tactical military game. Think of the tactical segment of XCOM.
Old May 3, 2003, 08:12   #16
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 01:31
Jagged Alliance was cool.........though the learning curve was somewhat steep. Also the last mission is famously hard.
Old May 3, 2003, 08:26   #17
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Try Dark Legion :=)