Old May 1, 2003, 21:10   #31
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 19:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I was a bit amazed by the "logic" that supporting the troops meant sending them off to risk their lives in war. Who supported the soldiers who eventually died in Vietnam? The people who bought LBJ's lies and allowed him to get 58,000 Americans killed there or the people who fought his policies? And if Iraq becomes a "democracy" and an islamic fundamentalist state is voted into power like in Iran, what will these supporters of the war say? Now they are claiming victory and some are even gloating, but it took ~2 decades for the US involvement in Afghanistan to come back and bite us.
Old May 1, 2003, 21:25   #32
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 17:31
Make a democracy which has a manditory seporation of religion and state then model the Iraqi military on Turkey's and have them enforce the constitution.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 1, 2003, 21:50   #33
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

If the majority shi'ite population wants an islamic state, then they will vote it into power in the first "democratic" election. I was hoping they learned via Saddam's oppression why freedom matters, but I have my doubts. History is replete with examples of oppressed peoples who got the opportunity to do their own oppressing and took it.
Old May 1, 2003, 21:53   #34
Oerdin
Deity

What I am subjesting is we set up a system very semiliar to the Turkish model. Are you at all aware of what happens to democratically elected fundies in Turkey?

The short answer is they don't stay in office very long because the military... *ahem* enforces the constitutional seporation of religion and state.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 2, 2003, 00:54   #35
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 20:31
It's a very good way to do things in Muslim states! Ataturk knew the problem and attacked it.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old May 2, 2003, 01:25   #36
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin

When I was in college all the parties used to give away "Naty Ice", as it was called, because it was 7.0% ABV and was just about the cheapest beer like substance you could buy.

But it tastes bad, bad, bad...
exactly.

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old May 2, 2003, 01:47   #37
Bosh
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:31
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
No Blood For Oil
This slogan has irritated me to no end. I do think that oil was a motive for invasion, though not a primary concern and not really in the traditional sense (i.e. oil as a mechanism to control other states, not just for pork). The slogan pretty much mindlessly paints pro-war people as fighting for pork, and doesn't actually address the gov't stated causi belli (WMD's and Ba'athist tyranny). The anti-war movement, in general, has been ineffective in articulating why the gov't was wrong on these points.
Its really good to hear another radical saying this, the above is pretty much exactly what I think. The only real connection to oil is that oil makes the whole region very strategic, which kicks up the US willingness to engage in intervention up a knotch, but its hardly a reason in and of itself.
Old May 2, 2003, 02:05   #38
LoneWolf
Settler

Local Time: 18:31
Boshko: Well said, of course it is true that not every square inch of the globe is of equal interest to us (or anyone), but that doesn't mean its the "only" or even the "main" reason!
There are strategic areas, and there are non-strategic areas. Would those who raise this objection prefer that we just intervene EVERYWHERE?
Old May 2, 2003, 02:35   #39
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

but actually the war could have been about oil. We need that oil if we ever go to war with Saudi Arabia- which could happen.

That slogan didn't bother me much, because it was partially true. It was about oil. We wouldn't have done this if it wasn't an oil rich country. because we are using the oil money to rebuild iraq. We wouldn't have done it if we had to use our own money to rebuild Iraq.
Old May 2, 2003, 02:44   #40
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Wow Boshko, thanks. Someone understands finally when I say "support the troops" statement is ****ing retarded.

I agree. Its definitely from phobic reaction of vietnam.
Old May 2, 2003, 02:45   #41
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I don't support the troops but I am in favour of the war
Old May 2, 2003, 05:38   #42
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 08:31
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Ramo
The slogan pretty much mindlessly paints pro-war people as fighting for pork, and doesn't actually address the gov't stated causi belli (WMD's and Ba'athist tyranny). The anti-war movement, in general, has been ineffective in articulating why the gov't was wrong on these points.
1. What "WMD?" Or rather, where are they?

2. Tyranny? What gave the US power to meddle in another country?
Old May 3, 2003, 02:10   #43
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I believe that power comes from the president of the United States.