View Poll Results: Is terrorism a legitimate form of warfare?
Yes 31 31.00%
No 47 47.00%
There are no legitimate forms of warfare 18 18.00%
banana warfare is the only legitimate form of warfare 4 4.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 2, 2003, 11:54   #151
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 20:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
The victim of an aggressor is always right, regardless what means of fighting he employs
Sorry for quoting something from pages ago, but I just saw the thread.

This is the basis for Cybergnu's stance in all the various ME threads, and is the reason there is no room for progress in a debate on the matter with him (sure, you can post back and forth, but there is zero chance - none, zip, nada, of actually making progress). I'm not ripping on you, Cyber, just to be clear - it's an observation, and not one designed to be nasty. It's an absolute position, and thus there isn't room to manuever.

Since the victim is granted a blank moral check, nothing is out of bounds. Nothing. There is no proportionality. But there are a lot of conflicts in which identifying an "aggressor" isn't all that simple. One also may wish to get into Cyber's defintion of aggression, but I'm not going there righ tnow.

Let's take Kashmir as an example, simply because I think most of us have at least heard of it and probably know a little bit about it. I'm no expert on the matter, but here are the basics as I know them: the Brits want India & Pak to be one big state when they leave. The Muslims won't stand for it, demand their own country, Pakistan. Ok, that's done. But who gets Kashmir? India does, based on the wishes of the non-elected ruler of that area at the time of the partition (Hindu leader, mostly Muslim population). Decades of bloodletting commence. More at 11.

Anyway, who is the aggressor? India, because it kept a province whose leader chose to join it (one could obviously question the legitimacy of the leader)? Or Pakistan, because it funds/trains/otherwise supports people who go into Kashmir and blow things up? Who was the "aggressor" in each of the 3 wars between the two countries (IIRC, 2 of the 3 were over Kashmir)?

What if each side shares the blame for conflict? Who is the aggressor then?

So the statement "The victim of an aggressor is always right, regardless what means of fighting he employs" does not allow for gray areas. It also doesn't allow for much debate.

So don't bother arguing that point. Either you accept that civilians can be targetted (because, to one degree or another, they contribute toward their side's ability to wage war) or you do not.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old May 2, 2003, 12:10   #152
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 18:32
All Terrorism is not about civilians only. We should remember that the worse act of terrorism against the US before 9/11 was the attack on the Marine Barracks in Lebanon. These guys were not civilians, obviously, and in any "war", barracks are totally legitimate targets. Don;t expect anyone at the Pentagon to say that was a valid attack and not terrorism. Same deal with attacks on US instalations in Saudi Arabia, the attack on the Cole, the bombing of the CIA station in beirut in 1983 (Intelligence locations are legitimate targets in war), and Perhaps as well, the attack on the Pentagon (surely a valid target of war) in 9/11. Many attacks labelled terrorist in the Occupied territories are against soldiers (is blowing a tank up with a mine a terrorist attack?), or what about in kashmir, where many of the attacks are on Indian security forces? And the same is true for attacs by the FARC and Tamil Tigers in their respective places. So the "problem" with terrorism is not just "killing the innocent"

And for those who agree with the "no rules in war", then why should the acts of people like Saddam Hussein in crushing revolts, both in the South by the Shia and the Kurds, ever be held against him? It was "war" after all, and according to many here, all is fair. Mass gassingd then don;t seem to be very wrong morality at all, since morality has no place in war, or so some seem to think here.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old May 3, 2003, 02:22   #153
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 17:32
I am unaware on how differently the Gitmo prisoners are being treated. I do agree that the enemy combatant thing is kind of cheesy, but I do believe they are following the geneva convention. I have yet to see any of them on tv for example.

Yes they are still being held, but that is because we are still at war in afghanistan and against terrorism.
Old May 3, 2003, 03:50   #154
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 19:32
Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
All Terrorism is not about civilians only.
Yes, it is.
Old May 3, 2003, 04:14   #155
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Um... actually, no it isn't. The attack on the US Cole is considered an act of terrorism... AFAIK, there were only military men on that ship.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old May 3, 2003, 04:20   #156
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

Imran, obviously you didnt read about the cute baby convention being held on the cole, where 45,893 infants were killed by terrorists.
Old May 3, 2003, 04:23   #157
Imran Siddiqui
staff

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old May 3, 2003, 04:28   #158
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
The attack on the US Cole is considered an act of terrorism.
Why should I be responsible for the mistakes of other people?
Old May 3, 2003, 04:50   #159
The Mad Monk
Emperor

You're right, the attack on the Marine Barracks was not a terrorist attack.

We still have the right to go against those who approved the attack and smear them across the landscape.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old May 3, 2003, 05:51   #160
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk
We still have the right to go against those who approved the attack and smear them across the landscape.
of course
Old May 3, 2003, 08:45   #161
raghar
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:32
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
I am unaware on how differently the Gitmo prisoners are being treated. I do agree that the enemy combatant thing is kind of cheesy, but I do believe they are following the geneva convention. I have yet to see any of them on tv for example.

Yes they are still being held, but that is because we are still at war in afghanistan and against terrorism.
BDSM BDSM BDSM. Chainded blindfolded low space around and so on. Most girls are creazy when they would have blindfold.
They possibly a little decreased the restriction, after some journalist did quality photos, but still something you'd strongly dissagree even for accused criminals.

They are for sure not treated under geneva convention as combatants. Where is could have they own clothes thing? Should have proper space and treated as...

In old mediterian culture (around -300 BC ) prissoners of war were taken pefore public and shown as greatnes of the, was it republic?

Terrorism. If they are to be released after end they would have it until guantanamo fall appart. Or until US state would end.
Old May 3, 2003, 09:10   #162
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 02:32
Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Um... actually, no it isn't. The attack on the US Cole is considered an act of terrorism... AFAIK, there were only military men on that ship.

hi ,

thats like one in a hundred , ......

and there where civ's injured , ......

have a nice day
Old May 3, 2003, 09:52   #163
raghar
Chieftain

panag are you saing when Israeli army fires no civilian is injured?
Problem with civilians injured with terroristic attack is goverment could simply ignore them. If they will be siccesfull to attack goverment officials they would be much more effective. There are more effective ways than attacking goverment officials, however.
Old May 3, 2003, 09:58   #164
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by raghar
panag are you saing when Israeli army fires no civilian is injured?
Problem with civilians injured with terroristic attack is goverment could simply ignore them. If they will be siccesfull to attack goverment officials they would be much more effective. There are more effective ways than attacking goverment officials, however.
try to explain your stupid argument to the injured , ....

"Problem with civilians injured with terroristic attack is goverment could simply ignore them."

wanna bet you cry to your gov to do something when your mother , brother , father , child , etc , .... is injured or killed , .....

Old May 3, 2003, 11:43   #165
raghar
Chieftain

Panag if your family member was injured we should end this discusion, you are clearly unable to continue now.

If some of my family would be killed by terroristic act I would try to collect pieces and don't became tool for goverment. If I would have some objections against that terrorist group I would take care "personally". If you'd cry too much in public you'd become gov tool and that is not smart thing. There is not too much difference if someone would die with granate explosion or in pain at home. If you dislike the suden moment, or hate feeling they could have been more, it happens, get over it. I personally think that people living in poverty and without proper medical help are dieing more than from it than from terrist attack. And yes best weapons are removing poverty, proper medical care and don't deprive citizens of their rights. There is very few things that could be more offending than if some minority is deprived of something that people around things is completelly normal and avilable for everyone.

I think if we will continue this disscusion we will get into how is working a society and talks about marginals and other element, but I don't think I would be nice in this discussion. I have some bad experience and it could go personal.
Old May 3, 2003, 15:51   #166
gsmoove23
Warlord

Quote:
BDSM BDSM BDSM. Chainded blindfolded low space around and so on. Most girls are creazy when they would have blindfold.
I'm sorry, but I'm really curious what this passage means, could I have a translation.
Old May 3, 2003, 17:19   #167
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by CyberGnu
Capitulation should be induced with minimal loss of life on the aggressors side, but only as long as the victim is safe.
EXACTLY

This is what distinguishes conventional warfare, especially AMERICAN conventional warfare, from terrorism. We make an ACTIVE EFFORT to minimize loss of life, we spend enormous amounts of money on precision weapons, we have shaped our ENTIRE MILITARY STRATEGY around precision strikes. The terrorists, however, try to cause AS MANY CIVILIAN DEATHS AS THEY POSSIBLY CAN. And there IS a distinction between civilian and military targets - do you think many, or ANY of the people in the World Trade Center were providing services to the US military?
Old May 3, 2003, 17:26   #168
gsmoove23
Warlord

Skywalker, you have illustrated another crucial factor in the terrorism verse conventional discussion considering the US and other powers that have been subject to terrorism have enormous amounts of money to spend on precision weapons, air power, manpower, etc... To the point where it is IMPOSSIBLE for any smaller organization to combat it in a traditional sense.

This would be fine if stronger powers harmed no one and created no situations worth struggling against but that is not the case.
Old May 3, 2003, 17:33   #169
Kuciwalker
Deity

However, they DELIBERATELY target civilians. For terrorists, it is not an accident if civilians die. For America, it is. They are CHOOSING to kill innocents, and that is wrong!
Old May 3, 2003, 17:40   #170
Frogman
Chieftain

Terrorism is not warfare, its a criminal activity. The effect of 9-11 was not that we in the US were weakened. We were angered, and now two governments have paid the price by being removed. Taking out governments is the product of a successful war. Terrorism will never accomplish that.

Terrorism doesn't accomplish any of the goals it sets. It doesn't change policy. In fact, it hardens the policy of those who are attacked to against the terrorists. I don't understand terrorism, it doesn't seem to work at all. It seems only to foment hate and revenge and in the end those who perpetrate these acts suffer the consequences.
Old May 3, 2003, 17:42   #171
gsmoove23
Warlord

I'm not specifically talking about America or WTC, but terrorism in general. Targetting civilians is wrong, but so are alot of things that governments do to oppress citizens. Restricting of rights, racist policies, ethnic cleansing(not only the mass murder kind but the systematic removal of an ethnic group from a locale) and such. All these things are wrong and I don't think by stepping over some invisible line like deliberately targetting civillians you should immediately be considered more evil and what you're fighting for discredited.
Old May 3, 2003, 17:55   #172
gsmoove23
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Frogman
Terrorism is not warfare, its a criminal activity. The effect of 9-11 was not that we in the US were weakened. We were angered, and now two governments have paid the price by being removed. Taking out governments is the product of a successful war. Terrorism will never accomplish that.

Terrorism doesn't accomplish any of the goals it sets. It doesn't change policy. In fact, it hardens the policy of those who are attacked to against the terrorists. I don't understand terrorism, it doesn't seem to work at all. It seems only to foment hate and revenge and in the end those who perpetrate these acts suffer the consequences.
I would disagree, the point is that terrorism does not achieve goals in the same way as conventional warfare goals have been laid out. The aim isn't to bring down governments, conquer land or defeat militaries. Its usually to focus international attention on the issue that is being fought over. It also expects and sometimes hopes for a brutal response that can gain the attention of international critics and critics within the home government. How much is a government willing to do before it changes its policies? Its a game of chicken.

A really good movie, and not to swayed to either side, is the Battle of Algiers. Its about a terrorist campaign in Algiers, the French were incredibly successful(and pretty brutal) in putting it down, a real victory. Yet they had gained international criticism and stronger discontent at home with the French presence in Algeria. A few years later France pulled out of Algeria. Right-wing people who comment on the resistance in Algeirs talk about how it failed, the French military was doing quite well against the resistance before it pulled out, but they failed to realize that the aims were not only military, but political and the troubles had a great effect on the politics and citizens of France.
Old May 3, 2003, 18:54   #173
raghar
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by gsmoove23
I'm sorry, but I'm really curious what this passage means, could I have a translation.
passage, by definition of Oxford dictionary means:

Quote:
process or means of passing; transit. 2 passageway. 3 right to pass through. 4 journey by sea or air. 5 transition from one state to another. 6 short part of book or piece of music etc. 7 duct etc. in body.

But if you ask what means, BDSM then. It's an abreviation of bondage, dominance, sadism, masochism.
If you'd be more curious you are out of luck, because this forum isn't for deep discussion of this topic.
While my previous post could look as it has nearly nothing to do with this topic, I could be excused by argument that I seen photos.

I hope I didn't started serious threadjack.
Old May 3, 2003, 20:31   #174
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Why should I be responsible for the mistakes of other people?
Who says it was a mistake? Perhaps your definition is a mistake (it probably is).
Old May 3, 2003, 20:42   #175
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

The thing with terrorism is that when push comes to shove two can play that game. When you start targetting someone's civilians you have to seriously consider to what extent you can tolerate someone paying you back in kind.
Old May 4, 2003, 00:20   #176
Bereta_Eder
Settler

That's what made them terrorists then.
Old May 4, 2003, 00:33   #177
Joseph
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Alvaro
"
The US Army uses 5.56mm ammo which is strictly forbidden by the Geneva Convention due to the nature of the impact (likely to hurt/kill more than one person with a single round).

Last edited by Joseph; May 4, 2003 at 00:39.
Old May 4, 2003, 00:56   #178
Odin
DiplomacyNever Ending StoriesApolyton UniversityRise of Nations MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 18:32
Terrorism against millitary and government stuctures, and government officials is legitimite, targeting civilians intentionally is not.

The attempt to produce Heaven on Earth often produces Hell. -Karl Popper
Old May 4, 2003, 10:47   #179
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Odin
Terrorism against millitary and government stuctures, and government officials is legitimite, targeting civilians intentionally is not.
not a single form , wheter its against military or civilian targets is legitimate , .....
Old May 4, 2003, 10:58   #180
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Alvaro
The US Army uses 5.56mm ammo which is strictly forbidden by the Geneva Convention due to the nature of the impact (likely to hurt/kill more than one person with a single round).
That's not quite true. The 5.56 round used in the M-16 is designed to tumble when it penetrates a body, imparting a great deal of its energy and ripping up a lot of tissue. Its predecessor, the 30.06 round was designed to rip straight through. Consequently the 30.06 will have much more energy remaining after passing through someone's body and will be much more likely to have enough energy to harm someone else. The Geneva convention banned ammo designed to especially to cause extra tissue damage. AT the time of the convention this included primarily hollow point and dum-dum ammo, both of which are designed to fragment on impact. The M-16 round might be considered banned becauise it too causes a disproportionate amount of internal damage due to the tendency to tumble that I mentioned above.