Old May 1, 2003, 14:23   #1
Vesayen
King

Local Time: 20:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Im about to make the biggest mistake of my life.......can you help me figure it out?
Everything I post in here is completely 100% open and truthful-I need some help and have NO IDEA where to find it, so this is ONE of the places I'll look for that help.......I’m 18 and live in the north east US.

I was accepted to a pretty good, prestigious college and am going to go to it for computer science(I'd prefer not to say the name of the school.).

I have always loved computers, been a gamer since I was 5(what was that game where monkeys threw banana’s at each other on buildings in dos? that was my first game, I was hooked) and have always been into computers....... My family friends etc always expected me to go into something with them-and I always went along with that expectation......

The problem is though I am a gamer and know computers well enough to build a gaming rig-that is where my expertise ends.......I've tried some programming courses(in school) in the past and while I was moderately successful at it I did not enjoy it at all(if that is because my success was marginal I’m not sure).

As a result I think going to a college(they have a program where you enter with your major declared) for computer science is a REALLY REALLY bad idea.......and one I’m about to cross the deadline on making.

What do I love?

I have an encyclopedic knowledge of all things having to do with history, politics and to an extent philosophy(I can argue with the best of em, though my knowledge of it isn’t as vast as the other 2-I don’t see this as any sort of option so I wont mention it again, though if you think there is somehow a job in this, please speak up). If any of my friends ever argue about those sorts of things they come to me for the answer. I've never had a history teacher I didn’t dazzle(or a class I couldn’t teach myself- cold). I read history books for fun in my spare time and read the newspaper every day(besides being a news hound and perpetually having talk radio on). I am NOT bragging though it does sound a bit braggish-The point of this is to get help, and one of my strongest traits is that I can suck in any information about social sciences instantly, and remember it years later.

I love nothing more then talking about history or politics(which is why a friend pointed me to this board about a year and a half ago), and can discuss about them endlessly.

I would go as a history major in a second-I KNOW I would be very successful in college with it but here in lies the problem........

I DONT want to be a teacher........

Let me re-phrase that: Because of the current crap teachers have to put up with, I don’t want to be one-20 years ago I would have been more inclined to be one.

First off none of the teachers in my school ever get any respect-I have no desire to stand infront of 30 kids who DONT want to be there, and who see ME as imposing on them-for 6 hours every day for 50 years.......

The OTHER problem is standardized tests......

In the state I live in, and in much of the country classes are no longer taught for content-they are taught for the students to be able to pass a state mandated test. My favorite teacher ever is a history teacher I had one-we talk openly allot-and we both agree the thing we hate most about the course is the standardized testing. He teachers one course that has NO state-set curriculum, I’m in that class and it is the most interesting class I've ever taken...........I couldn’t be a teacher if I spend all my team teaching to a standardized test and never having the option to teach other things, or what is actually IMPORTANT(causes of world war 2, effects of world war 2, next chapter.......forget the fact that it lasted years and was the bloodiest war in world history, my school state curriculum spends less then 1 full class on the ACTUAL WAR....and about 4 or 5 on before the war and after it).

I cant handle those two burdens, and I don’t know how my teachers do either..........I understand my teachers frustration because I am sure he feels the same way I do.......

I could become a college professor but I know first you must teach for other schools for years and years.....and it is far from guaranteed.

Is there ANY job in the world which involves history and politics, other then teaching or being a politician? I would enjoy nothing more for the rest of my life then anything which involves either of those fields(and maybe with computers mixed in somehow LOL) but I don’t see anything out there!

I’m not charismatic enough to be a politician-so that’s out.....and as I said, it seems teaching is too......

Do any of the learned people of apolyton have a solution or suggestion for me?

Edit: I forgot lawyer.......I love arguing BUT arent most lawyers in effect indentured servants when they come(eventually....hell of along time) out of law school?

Last edited by Vesayen; May 1, 2003 at 14:31.
Old May 1, 2003, 14:26   #2
Spec
Emperor

Local Time: 00:35
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Garbage man? Painter?

Try being a cook?

I dont know....Seems like any idea I could think of, you have something you would not like about it....Just like everyone else on this planet.

Spec.
Old May 1, 2003, 14:27   #3
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 19:35
"Is there ANY job in the world which involves history and politics, other then teaching or being a politician?"

What about something like analyst/writer?
Old May 1, 2003, 14:27   #4
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 19:35
You go to college to really get a general education. It teaches your brain how to learn and think critically. Most likely, you'll find your niche. But don't worry, nobody plans their entire future at 18.
Old May 1, 2003, 14:29   #5
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Local Time: 16:35
Try PolySci.
Old May 1, 2003, 14:33   #6
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 14:35
Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
You go to college to really get a general education. It teaches your brain how to learn and think critically. Most likely, you'll find your niche. But don't worry, nobody plans their entire future at 18.
For once Sava is right.

1. Take a broad course-load that will allow you to go in different directions.

2. Don't obsess too much on this moment. I'm 37 and still trying different jobs. It is not that unusual.

3. Try to get as much different work experience as you can. Also, do some informational interviewing (read What Color is Your Parachute).

--------------------------

All of this stuff seems so scary and precarious now, because of how young you are. With more experience and perspective, it won't worry you so much. So jump in there and get experience.
Old May 1, 2003, 14:34   #7
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Wow, I can't imagine entering college with my major already selected. I assume, however, that you *could* switch out of it if you really hated it, but you would have to scramble a bit to get enough credits for your new selection?

I started off as an econ major. I hated econ. My gf at the time finally talked me into changing my major to what I DO like: History. I was happier with my courses after that.

But the thing about real life is this: comp-sci is a very valueable thing. Lots of companies need computer people. My present gf is such a person, and she makes tons of money (and has the added bonus of really liking what she does). I, on the other hand, make decent money while merely tolerating my job. This essentially stems from a basic part of my personality: work sucks. Anything, even if I like it, sucks the instant it becomes mandatory. I think I love History because it was always something I approached as a hobby. I love talking about History with my father or some of my friends, but when it came time to do my Thesis... I wasn't particularly enthused. Based on that, I almost wish I had done comp-sci so I could be making more money while tolerating my job.

Did that make any sense?

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old May 1, 2003, 14:34   #8
Vesayen
King

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowwHand
"Is there ANY job in the world which involves history and politics, other then teaching or being a politician?"

What about something like analyst/writer?

I'm a pretty good writter, but what do you mean?

"You go to college to really get a general education. It teaches your brain how to learn and think critically. Most likely, you'll find your niche. But don't worry, nobody plans their entire future at 18."

Isnt that what highschool is supposed to be for? LOL!

The college im going to is already specialized though.......computer science-if I go there I WONT get a broad education, I'll get a specific one-but till I have a better idea it isnt a good idea to drop it.
Old May 1, 2003, 14:36   #9
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

No, highschool does not teach you how to think critically, except perhaps some of the really expensive private ones.

Highschool fills you up with facts and tries to keep you out of too much trouble.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old May 1, 2003, 14:37   #10
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 02:35
Re: Im about to make the biggest mistake of my life.......can you help me figure it out?
Quote:
Originally posted by Vesayen
Is there ANY job in the world which involves history and politics, other then teaching or being a politician? I would enjoy nothing more for the rest of my life then anything which involves either of those fields(and maybe with computers mixed in somehow LOL) but I don’t see anything out there!
I´m studying history and politics now I also had to choose between this and my other passion (computer graphics, raytracing etc.)

And yes there are other jobs, you could work in policy analysis, in a museum, write for newspapers etc etc. I even know people who people who have offers to work as analysts for intelligence services. Of course there is no garanty, but after all I think it is better to study want you like than only look on the chances you might have or not have later (because most people are better at things they like).

Also companies (at least thats how it is here in Germany) like to have people in certain positions not only because of there pure knowledge, but also because of additional skills, so you may even find a job there (for example I know a guy who studied to become a lawyer but ended as the boss of an entire call-center - not what he wanted, but now he likes it, and money is no issue for him anymore)
Old May 1, 2003, 14:39   #11
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 17:35
Go into Journalism. You get to write about things and you get to spout off with your opinion in editorials and best of all no one gets to talk back.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 1, 2003, 14:39   #12
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Well I'm studying Political and Social Sciences, and if not becoming a teacher or politician, which us rather unlikely, here in Belgium I'd probably end up working as a bureaucrat in some ministerial cabinet, or some govermental or non-govermental organization. Is that the same in your country? Perhaps you can follow that course?
Old May 1, 2003, 14:40   #13
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Maniac
Well I'm studying Political and Social Sciences, and if not becoming a teacher or politician, which us rather unlikely, here in Belgium I'd probably end up working as a bureaucrat in some ministerial cabinet, or some govermental or non-govermental organization. Is that the same in your country? Perhaps you can follow that course?
PM
Old May 1, 2003, 14:40   #14
BeBro
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
You get to write about things and you get to spout off with your opinion in editorials and best of all no one gets to talk back.
But then it is only half the fun
Old May 1, 2003, 14:41   #15
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Easy.

Go to the school to do the comp. sci. thing, especially if you feel that you really need to do something "practical" with your education.

At the same time get a minor in history/philosophy/whatever.

While a student, look for a position where you can do computer work for the history/phil./whatever departments or their individual personnel (including students). Keep on trying - people give you jobs, not organizations, so just keep talking to people and you'll eventually get something "Well, Doctor Barnes needs his ethics final typed up asap and I don't have the time... can you help?" or "Can you spend some time to do a web search for Etruscian statuary? I need 5 good sites." Take it, even if it is way below your capabilities... you gotta show these people you can walk before they'll allow you to run.

If you still feel the same way when you are done with school (and you haven't changed your major/mind 4 times in the intervening time period) you now have a better-than-average basis for doing computer work for any number of people involved in the fields that you are interested in. Online Encyclopedias, publishers (especially University presses and other publishers of reference works), and schools all could use somebody whom has both the computer skills to do advanced work and a passion for their subject - I bet this combination isn't all that common.
Old May 1, 2003, 14:42   #16
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

And yes, I have a feeling that things are likely different here in America.
Old May 1, 2003, 14:42   #17
Vesayen
King

Quote:
Originally posted by GP

For once Sava is right.

1. Take a broad course-load that will allow you to go in different directions.

2. Don't obsess too much on this moment. I'm 37 and still trying different jobs. It is not that unusual.

3. Try to get as much different work experience as you can. Also, do some informational interviewing (read What Color is Your Parachute).

--------------------------

All of this stuff seems so scary and precarious now, because of how young you are. With more experience and perspective, it won't worry you so much. So jump in there and get experience.
I THINK I want to take a general courseload but my PROBLEM is how do I tell my parents............my parents are far from understanding and I think their heads would burst out of shock wh en I tell them.
Old May 1, 2003, 14:43   #18
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Quote:
Originally posted by GP

PM
I already sent it. Didn't you get it? I was just about to post in my thread I sent it, when Ming closed the thread.
Old May 1, 2003, 14:45   #19
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 03:35
Generally, don't go into Comupter Sci, or anything else you might not enjoy.
Old May 1, 2003, 14:47   #20
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

"And yes there are other jobs, you could work in policy analysis, in a museum, write for newspapers etc etc. I even know people who people who have offers to work as analysts for intelligence services. Of course there is no garanty, but after all I think it is better to study want you like than only look on the chances you might have or not have later (because most people are better at things they like)."

BeBro speaks truth.
Old May 1, 2003, 14:50   #21
BeBro
Emperor

Now THAT goes into my sig
Old May 1, 2003, 14:51   #22
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Old May 1, 2003, 14:57   #23
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Vesayen

I THINK I want to take a general courseload but my PROBLEM is how do I tell my parents............my parents are far from understanding and I think their heads would burst out of shock wh en I tell them.

Well, you will have to learn how to live your own life sooner or later. Of course that may mean doing without continued support.

But most places will let you take a generally basic course load your first year or so anyway. You know: calculus, english, world history, etc. Just take the 101 courses and don't specialize too much your first year. That is normal.
Old May 1, 2003, 14:59   #24
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

In my experience, most people don't discover what they really like until somepoint in university.

I was in a group of 8 friends from high school that all went to the same university, thinking we'd all go into the business faculty (but with different concentrations). In the end, only three of us graduated from the business faculty. The others discovered what they liked along the way and switched. They went into History, Socialogy, 2 to Education, and Engineering.

The best laid plans of mice and men...
Old May 1, 2003, 15:01   #25
Felch
Civilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

I'm a history major, as my brother and father were before me. One is a lawyer, and the other a lobbyist. The humanities set you up for a pretty broad range of careers, it's just that you have to work your way into them.
Old May 1, 2003, 15:03   #26
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

And before you start with any more teen angst, get a grip on yourself. You sound like a timid child, not an 18-year-old man.

Go get the course catalog for the school, where you will go. And also get the required courseload/plan for your major. Do some reading/looking and determine what your degrees of freedom are. No more acting scared until you've done this.

Now, stiffen up, young man!

Old May 1, 2003, 15:03   #27
Oerdin
Deity

If you do get a comp sci degree then you are unem[ployable unless you get a graduate degree and even then it has to be from the right schools and only the government of a university will hire you.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 1, 2003, 15:05   #28
Oerdin
Deity

BTW you don't have to declare your major until your junior year though the sooner you do the sooner you can get the prereqs out of the way.
Old May 1, 2003, 15:11   #29
Vesayen
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
BTW you don't have to declare your major until your junior year though the sooner you do the sooner you can get the prereqs out of the way.
see bellow.....

Quote:
Originally posted by GP
And before you start with any more teen angst, get a grip on yourself. You sound like a timid child, not an 18-year-old man.

Go get the course catalog for the school, where you will go. And also get the required courseload/plan for your major. Do some reading/looking and determine what your degrees of freedom are. No more acting scared until you've done this.

Now, stiffen up, young man!

lol

I quite stupidly applied for the college as a CS major(they have a program where if you are in the CS program you must enter with that declared major as you come on) at my parents behest(thought it was a bad idea and went along)-Im not sure if I CAN take a general course load and the CS thing at the same time-im also not sure if I can switch to a general course-load once I've been accepted to the CS one.
Old May 1, 2003, 15:18   #30
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 00:35
good replies everyone... I, for once, am speechless