Old May 1, 2003, 19:17   #1
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 02:35
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Dog!
It has been a long dream of mine to get a doggy.

Unfortunately I had a minor case of kynophobia (fear of dogs) passed on from my mom (who she nevertheless loves them, she just can't be around them due to that irrational (hence phobia) fear.

Still, she was brave enough to force herself to be around one when I was little and I really really wanted a doggie (I guess I didn't suffer from kynophobia back then).

It was a belgian shepherd. The cuttest puppy in the world. We used to play together, I'd throw the ball, it'd go and get it. We'd go for walks and play. It was also a bit stubborn since he didn't obey me always I really loved that doggie. Unfortunately we had to move to a new house in Belgium and there was a policy which forbitted dogs and we had to give it up to a shelter where a new owner would get it. I was with it only for a couple of weeks. I always remember it.

Then later on, I became a bit afraid of them, like my mum, only far, far less.

Now I think that I have overcame it. I can be around one, I can even carreess it. I'm a bit afraid when I meet stray dogs though. I change path

Now I have a relatively big appartment and I would really like to go on with what fate wouldn't let me back then.

Get a doggie

I have read a lot and bought books etc on dogs.

I know that Belgian Shepherds are like the German ones only a bit more ferocious

But I don't think they're meant for an appartment no matter how big it is. Or maybe I'm wrong, read below.

I want to get the right breed of doggie for myself and for the doggie. So that noone would "suffer" from the other one's habits and needs

I would like to hear your suggestions as to what doggies could live in an appartment and not be miserable.

I am pretty fit and don't mind walking or running for long distances of time even on a daily basis (so if the breed of doggie needs it to get the exercise no problem - I'd get it too )

Taken this in consideration what would you suggest me?

I'm particularly looking forward to hearing from dog owners.

Thanks
Old May 1, 2003, 19:24   #2
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 03:35
Golden retvievers are my faves.. . But I like most dogs anyway, they are all cute when they're puppies, you just want to hold them and hug them, they have that puppy smell too, so you're smelling them all the time.. they're fun to play with also, and they're always happy to see you, even if you're tired and angry. Yeah.. dogs rule.
But you must make sure that you can take the dog out and walk and run with it everyday, they need it.. they really do.. I hate it when I see dog owners who don't take responsibility, meaning that they don't take care of them.. dogs hide suffering pretty well to an extent, so when I see unhappy dog, I get angry! Or that someone is yelling like crazy to a dog when it didn't do anything.. and sometimes even beating! If I see beating (more than a slap), I go right into it and stop it. Owner is the one then needing a beating. Bad dog owners are evil.

Oh what was the question again?
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old May 1, 2003, 19:29   #3
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Pekka
Golden retvievers are my faves.. .
I really like Golden Retreivers too. Very much.

Actually that was my first choice when I started reading and learning about dogs. The problem could be that they are relatevily large dogs so will they adapt to an appartment? I can and will run with it outside.

Then there's the long hair that needs caring. The alternative is a labrador which doesn't have such long hair, which nevertheless give the Golden Retreiver that special something.
Old May 1, 2003, 19:32   #4
Hueij
Emperor

Don't get a Belgian shepard!

Aside from that, don't get a dog... They bark, they **** on the sidewalk, they smell, they bite and they are way to dependant of humans.

Get a cat!
Old May 1, 2003, 19:32   #5
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 18:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Well, you could consider a smaller breed. Terriers are fine, but some can be hipper and in general they are independent and not apt to sit on you lap. Spaniels are a good choice: they are small enough for apartments but not too small.

You could always get a Mastiff: fine, they are huge, but they actually do well in apartments.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old May 1, 2003, 19:34   #6
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 19:35
Re: Dog!
Quote:
Originally posted by paiktis22
I would like to hear your suggestions as to what doggies could live in an appartment and not be miserable.
Dachshunds are perfect for apartment living. Just make sure to avoid the long haired variety if sheding annoys you.
Old May 1, 2003, 19:38   #7
Pekka
Emperor

Yeah, they can become rather large, correct. Also I don't know they have that long hair, so they might get awfully hot too, you know in Greece and all.. My folks have a new doggie in the US, and it gets very hot and humid in summer so it's not good for the dog, because it has a long hair too.. they have AC and a yard she can play in, and there's this small kiddy pool so she's in the pool all the time cooling off.. it's really important. Dogs can't take that heat that good you know.. They don't sweat like people.

But as it gets bigger, it's not so wild anymore, so smaller apartment is not that big of a problem, if it's not very small apartment that is. It would be nice if there's a closed yard (fences), so the dog could play outside too on it's own when you don't feel like it. They really need to move a lot younger, and older too, but especially younger. Labradors are cool too

But if there's no possibility of yard, it's ok if you can take it out often enough. It gets on your nerves many times when you feel tired and doggie is whining and asking to go out when you're super tired.. so it's a pain in the butt many times, but eventually you'll take it out because you can't live with your consciouss reminding you that the special one needs some exericize .

I don't know how hot it is usually where you live, but if it has long hair, there should be possibilitiy of her/him to cool down somewhere.. Maybe not swimming, though dogs usually like it, but .. well you know. Something.
Old May 1, 2003, 19:40   #8
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 17:35
My family had to Golden Retrievers when I was growing up (we got the 2nd after the 1st died ) and they were very good dogs to have around children. They weren't aggressive, they didn't bark to much, and they generally were very friendly with everyone (the joke was if a bugrular broke into our house the dog would lick them to death).

The only problem is many Golden Retrievers are inbred so they end up having partial deafness and/or hip problems. If you buy a Golden then have it tested for deafness in both ears and have a vet. make sure it doesn't have displaced hips. Other then that just be aware that puppy dogs tend to chew on everything until 1-2 years old and remember the bigger the dog the bigger the poop you're going to have to clean up.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 1, 2003, 19:50   #9
Pekka
Emperor

Oerdin, Yes Golden Retrievers are nice to people, not aggressive. Very good with children.. we had the same joke too!!

Also they're the cutest puppies
Old May 1, 2003, 20:25   #10
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

Local Time: 20:35
Belgian Shepards are not appropriate for an apartment, and by the way, they're less agressive than Germans, and smarter too.

Search for and take a few tests like this one to help find a few appropriate breeds.
Purina Dog Breed Finder
Old May 1, 2003, 20:42   #11
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 16:35
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
Quote:
Dachshunds are perfect for apartment living. Just make sure to avoid the long haired variety if sheding annoys you.
Yay, weiner dogs
Old May 1, 2003, 20:46   #12
Ned
King

Paiktis, I too love dogs, but my wife will not have one. You may get married one day - so, check out your wife's attitude concerning dogs before you say yes.
Old May 1, 2003, 21:16   #13
Oerdin
Deity

Or get the dog and dump the woman if she doesn't like dogs.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 1, 2003, 21:19   #14
Pekka
Emperor

Yeah.. how can someone NOT like dogs? Not even puppies? Puppies are cute! Puppies smell nice, they're soft and funny, and they do funny stuff that makes you laugh, and if you look into the eyes of a puppy.. how can you say NO?!?!?
Old May 1, 2003, 21:30   #15
Pekka
Emperor

I love you!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	joy6weeks.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	43773  
Old May 1, 2003, 21:30   #16
Oerdin
Deity

[monty python]
I say we burn her!!

Crowd: Burn her! Burn her! Burn Her!
[/monty python]
Old May 1, 2003, 21:31   #17
Pekka
Emperor

I am your new friend!
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	liam1.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	43774  
Old May 1, 2003, 21:32   #18
Pekka
Emperor

I like to play with you!
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	jasmineplay.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	43775  
Old May 1, 2003, 21:33   #19
Pekka
Emperor

I am loyal to you!
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	rock0007.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	43776  
Old May 1, 2003, 21:34   #20
Pekka
Emperor

Thanks Paiktis for getting me, let's play!
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	rock0022.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	43777  
Old May 1, 2003, 21:34   #21
Pekka
Emperor

Why don't you love me Paiktis?
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	rock0029.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	43778  
Old May 1, 2003, 21:35   #22
Pekka
Emperor

I'm happy that you love me, Paiktis! Let's be friends forever!
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	rock0042.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	43779  
Old May 1, 2003, 21:36   #23
Pekka
Emperor

So no.. I can't understand why someone wouldn't like these furry creatures..
If one of these came into your way and looked into your eyes with 'Hello. Please take me to your home, I don't have a home and I don't have any food, together we are happy!'.. you have to.. I mean.. there is only one option, and that is to obey that little thing!
Old May 1, 2003, 22:03   #24
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 00:35
I have a German Shepard....mixed with a Chow...and some other stuff, we think wolf...

Her name is Buddy (yes I named a girl Buddy)

When I got her I lived in a condo, pretty much an apartment with a small (8x8) backyard. She grew really fast. Yet, the great things about dogs is that they adjust to the life style of their parents. I took her for a walk every day, at least when it wasn't raining, and she got use to it.

Dogs are adaptive... that is why they are mans best friend. If you have concerns I would get a smaller dog, mainly because when you go to let them run they are easier to catch... I can't tell you how hard it was to catch Buddy...man she's fast.

Yet, I wouldn't worry about the dog's habits and your's clashing... they will adopt you, as you adopt them.

(I am going to figure out to attatch a picture.)
Old May 1, 2003, 22:11   #25
Kidicious
Deity

Pekka,

Cool dog pics. I love Golden Retrievers.
Old May 1, 2003, 22:16   #26
Pekka
Emperor

Japher, exactly.. the dog will take you as a master. You're the boss, and if you're good to him/her, they'll have no problems. Dogs are cool, they like you for what you are.. and are super loyal. And like Japher said, they're adaptive too. But you can't brake the trust, because then you're being stupid, they would never do that. I played 'rescue me' things sometimes when my dog was younger (rip), it would save me from drowning, coming reaaally fast to water and I could just grab it and it would swim me back to the shore.. it was great. I only yelled 'HEELP!' and she knew right then that she must come and help, and she did.. if I was in real danger, she would have saved me.. Also I did a mistake of going into sleeping bag, closing it and yelling 'heeelp', she tried to dig me out, scratching my face like crazy .. after that I never played it, because she took it seriously. Also we played hide and seek, it was fun because she wouldn't look where I was going and when I whislted, it started looking. Man she was fast finding me! Few times she couldn't find me right away, but she never stopped looking... that's loyalty. Also they're great for meeting chicks, many of them like dogs, so they come and ask 'what's its name, how old is she' and stuff like that.. so they great for that too sometimes.
Old May 1, 2003, 22:21   #27
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 00:35
Yeah, Pekka

My dog was trained through the police dog training, she is trained to protect my wife. Mainly, since I worked nights... note: I trained her to protect my wife. That dog will attack me if my wife tells her to.... stupid move by me. Yet, she is the border patrol of this house, and I never feel unsafe with her around.

Side note: Help, I have never posted a picture. Can someone tell me, or point me to the directions to post a picture of my dog and cat? I have the file on my computer.
Old May 1, 2003, 22:27   #28
Pekka
Emperor

Japher, I know the feeling. I mean the security factor they bring into the picture.. You know, that they will defend you to the death. That's always nice comforting feeling.. My dog wasn't trained.. well I trained her a little, normal stuff but nothing fancy.. it was funny though, she never bit me except for play, but it bit my mom a little when she yelled at me and was coming towards me.. it just gave this crazy GRRRRRRR and placed her mouth into my moms ancle. She stopped right there . Of course she let go when I told her to.. but it was nice, she did it to my father too when we were arguing. Wasn't violent at all, but when she thought I was in trouble, she'd forget that these were all friends and knew each other well and decided to step in between 'attacker' and me. It was a nice feeling .
Dogs are pretty good for protecting someone.. they are comforting, keeps you company, and can defend and are loyal and will defend.

Just click on the 'post new reply' box and you can see 'attach file' and 'choose' box after that, and from there you select the file you want to attach from your computer..
Old May 1, 2003, 22:29   #29
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Look at the doooogiiess!!!!

Mis Novias
Old May 1, 2003, 22:31   #30
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

An alternative to the Golden Retriever is the Golden Doodle, a mix between the Golder Retriever and the Poodle. It is a bit of a stronger dog (no offense to Golden Retriever owners) due to the stronger genetics.

Mis Novias