Old May 1, 2003, 22:32   #31
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 00:35
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Another thing:

Buddy is naturally aggresive (Chow) and protective (Shepard), thus, to deal with her I had to be the same way in order to earn respect, and show her who is boss. I have punched her... seriously... yet, still, somehow she knows that it is my wife she is ordered to protect... not me. My wife is ALPHA DOG. She just needed to learn to listen to me (my dog not my wife).

The best way, however, to teach a dog to learn you are boss is to hold them like a baby... dogs hate it when you hold them on their back... I have scars to prove it.
Old May 1, 2003, 22:35   #32
Japher
Emperor

When my neice was 2, my little sister (who is 26) was chasing her (my neice) around and scaring her. My neice would scream in delite and run the other way. Buddy blocked my sister from my neice and wouldn't let her (my sister) near her. When my sister "insisted" Buddy attacked... Luckily my wife was there...

I told my family to never threaten anything smaller than them, because Buddy will protect them with her (actually their) life. Buddy, who is fixed, has raised two litters of bunny rabbits and feels it her responsibilty to protect the little ppl...
Old May 1, 2003, 22:36   #33
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 03:35
True.. and you have to be strict with them sometimes. Sometimes when they continue doing something they know is forbidden.. you have to sometimes use little (not too much!) force. They'll come out just fine, you just have to show them sometimes who's the boss. That way they'll be better when they are grown ups. If the dog for example keeps on jumping on the dinner table, you can't just say 'NO! bad dog!' for 2 hours. You need to give it a little hand of guidance.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old May 1, 2003, 22:38   #34
Japher
Emperor

Let me see if this works.... Buddy is on the right... I will try and get a "live" picture of her... She's 70 pounds of pure muscle, with a lot of fur... under coats suck
Old May 1, 2003, 22:41   #35
Pekka
Emperor

No picture.. Something went wrong, come on work it, we want to see Buddy!
Old May 1, 2003, 22:41   #36
Japher
Emperor

too big, hold on.
Old May 1, 2003, 22:50   #37
Pekka
Emperor

Damn I really have to go to sleep now, but post the picture, I'll check it out tomorrow.. .
Old May 1, 2003, 22:50   #38
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 02:35
Quote:
Belgian Shepards are not appropriate for an apartment, and by the way, they're less agressive than Germans, and smarter too.
Hmmpff, that's not a given??!!???
Old May 1, 2003, 22:58   #39
Japher
Emperor

???sorry to experiment.. I don't really have a photo editor... that will change shortly
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	buddy and kitty2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	43782  
Old May 1, 2003, 23:02   #40
Japher
Emperor

Yeah, my first picture!!!

Anyone know a good free/cheap photo editor...paint ain't goin' to do it?
Old May 2, 2003, 02:45   #41
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 12:35
I have an English Labrador who is 6 months old, soon to be neutered. He's going through that **** everything in sight phase at the moment... but I loooooove him
Old May 2, 2003, 07:22   #42
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Thank you very much for your suggestions and advices. Some of them I already knew some others I did not.

I do not like the Dachshund. Too small feet, too long back and generally not "natural" it seems to me. I don't like small dogs in general but I can live with one that has good proportions.

About the Golden Retreiver, I have a large veranta (this is not a yard, it is like a very large balcony) and the appartment is rather large itself. But I'm still not sure wether it would be happy in it.

I will take the test you provided now.

Thanks again
Old May 2, 2003, 07:22   #43
Bereta_Eder
Settler

And Pekka thanks for the photos

Japher great looking dog

And my girlfriend likes them (how else would see be with me? )
Old May 2, 2003, 07:42   #44
MrsSkanky

OMG!! How cuuuuuuuuteeeeeeee!!!! I want a labrador!

Old May 2, 2003, 07:47   #45
MrsSkanky

The background of my desktop has heaps of pics of labrador puppies

Old May 2, 2003, 08:11   #46
Az
Emperor

Wow, Pekka, that series of pics made me shed a tear.
Old May 2, 2003, 08:18   #47
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 08:35
Chow chow is a good choice. I know they are big dogs, but they are quiet, and they are not aggressive. They don't need to do a lot of running either, they prefer just walking around.

The only problem is they have long hair, though you can shave them for the summer.
Old May 2, 2003, 08:20   #48
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSkanky
The background of my desktop has heaps of pics of labrador puppies
Are you one of Skanky Burns' DL's?
Old May 2, 2003, 08:25   #49
Bereta_Eder
Settler

The Chow Chow has such a "ugly"/funny face, it is adorable but not what I'm looking for in a doggie Same with the Golden Poodle.

I took the test then found another one which was a bit more detailed.

Another doggie that seems to fit the conditions and I really like is the English Springer Spaniel.

Of course there can be a small pool in the veranta for the summer and there will be AC inside later on. And when it comes to swimming... well let's just say it is in one of the most suitable countries for that

I'd say for the moment I'm split between the Golden Retriever or Labrador and the English Springer Spaniel.
Old May 2, 2003, 08:25   #50
MrsSkanky

I'm not a DL I'm a person guddamit!!!! Nah I'm his fiance

Old May 2, 2003, 08:47   #51
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Paiki :

I have a strong kynophobia, in the meaning that I am afraid of dogs the same way some are afraid of snakes or spiders. I don't know how you managed to overcome yours, but I'm really interested.

It sucks to be a kynophobe in residential neighbourhoods filled with barking dogs
Old May 2, 2003, 09:02   #52
Firelad
Settler

A friend of mine had a Rottweiler (SP?) but then a truck driver verbally abused said friend, and the dog went do defend her honour, getting fatally run over by the truck, denting it quite seriously in the process.

She now has an incredible labrador that really likes to lick me in the face. And obeys me more than her although I've only met him twice in me life
Old May 2, 2003, 09:16   #53
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
Paiki :

I have a strong kynophobia, in the meaning that I am afraid of dogs the same way some are afraid of snakes or spiders. I don't know how you managed to overcome yours, but I'm really interested.

It sucks to be a kynophobe in residential neighbourhoods filled with barking dogs
Spiffor, I know. My mom used to be something like that. The moment she would become aware that a dog (or a cat) would be close to her she'd be really afraid with no reason at all.

That was passed on from her mother, my grandmother, who thought "dogs were dirty", unfortunately a common enough conviction amongst Greek women of older generations.

The history of this thing I think is important to see how kynophobia evolved and what was done about it.

So my mom when she was little brought home a puppy, holding it in her embrace all the way home.
The moment my grandma, who is an adorable person, but she thinks dogs are a threat to hygiene/dirty, saw my mom with the puppy she made her give it back saying (actually shouting in disgust) that it was "unclean" and barer of diseases.

After that, my mom started to develop kynophobia although she loves them and hates the fact that she has this phobia.

She tried her best not to pass it on to me. However, when I was little and I saw my mom be afraid when a dog or cat came closer (she even used to have her handbag on the ready, not to hit them but to block them from comming near her ), naturally, I started to feel that something was wrong with those animals.

But I never became really afraid of them myself. Then I got the puppy and there was absolutely nothing wrong.
Then I had to give the puppy up and was sad but I very quickly overcame it (small kids are like that I guess).

After that and as I grew up more, I realized that I couldn't let a dog touch me. I'd jump up and walk away. There wasn't even a question of carressing it.

I consciously decided to start making an effort when there were dogs at houses of friends not to ask them to keep them away from me, but to actually just try and be around them.

If said doggies seemed docile enough for me, I'd even push myself to carress them, usually in the back and always away from the face and mouth. Then little by little I'd dare carress them on the head to and try not to pull my hand quickly if they raised their head up.

that is what I have done. I haven't overcame it completely I think. I still feel uncomfortable when in the presence of stray dogs. But now I can handle even a not so docile dog, as long as it is domesticated.

I think what also helped me very much was the attitude of my mom who insisted in every suitable situation that dogs are great and that she has an irrationale fear and she's very sad about it because she would really love to have one. So she tried to let meknow that the problem rested with her not the doggies. She has also managed to overcome kynophobia to a large part now.

Then there were also stories about a shepher dog who used to sit by my crandle and guard me when I was a baby and bark ar everyone who was not family and tried to approach me. That was when we visited my grandparents' house (strangely enough, my grandma didn't want my mom to have a pet doggie but she was ok? with large dogs that acted as guards and stayed on my grandparents' large yard - of course my grandpa loved dogs and he even had to ability to calm even angry stray dogs with one look!).

Anyway I'm rambling.

But I said this story to let you know that I think that it is best to try and figure out where your kynophobia comes from, destroy that "myth" whatever that is in your head and simultaneously try to push yourself to become more and more accostumed to the doggies.

That can be ON YOUR OWN TERMS at first. Like I said, when visiting a friend's house who has a doggie and you think it's docile enough for you, then just try and be in the same room with it for a start.
Then gradually try to let it sniff you and then again gradually try to carress it and so on.

I didn't have problems with being around dogs. But after that I did have to work on it to overcome my fear, (in them touchingme, in carressing them, not pull my hand fast when they raised their heads up etc).

Of course when I was little I had my puppy in my embrace almost all the time without any problem. And I tried to remember that fact.

I wish you good luck
Old May 2, 2003, 09:23   #54
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by paiktis22
The Chow Chow has such a "ugly"/funny face, it is adorable but not what I'm looking for in a doggie Same with the Golden Poodle.
That's why I adore the Chow Chow - so does my SO. one thing you can do though is to pick up a doggie from a dog pound or an animal shelter. Give it a new lease to life.
Old May 2, 2003, 09:24   #55
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSkanky
I'm not a DL I'm a person guddamit!!!! Nah I'm his fiance
If you are really Skanky's fiancee, poor you Otherwise
Old May 2, 2003, 09:43   #56
Pekka
Emperor

Buddy's looking good! Only fools would try to mess with that kind of a dog. It looks strong and beautiful. I like strong animals
Old May 2, 2003, 11:26   #57
Japher
Emperor

Buddy scares the f out of everyone when they first meet her... but once they get to know her they wish we had never gotten her fixed.

Her hair does get everywhere. We try and get furniture that doesn't show hair... Luckily I have a truck I don't care about for her to ride in... she isn't allowed in my wives car.

Spaniels are great, I grew up with two... IMO I find them rather stupid, in general, and need a lot of training.

I also grew up with a toy poodle that was awesome... Even my friends who HATE poodles liked that dog.

I think going to the pound is a good idea... That is where I got buddy. She was the only dog that food all over her kennel and nothing in her bowl. Just go there and fall in love, they will love you back...

That reminds me; we crate trained Buddy. For a big dog in a smaller place this is a good technique. It gives them a place of their own and is a good potty training tech... We helped one of my friends find the largest pure breed Rott in N. California. That dog, namede Heuser, is 9 mo. and almost 100 lbs, and is not over weight!!!

Notice the trend? Buddy, I call her Bud. Heuser, short for Anheuser? All we need now is a dog named Weiser of Busch...

I think the dog won't mind living in a smaller place as long as you spend a lot of time with him/her. Take her for walks, find a dog run, or a field where you can taker him/her a couple of times a week to run. Their real main stay, after some training, is you and not a yard.
Old May 2, 2003, 12:32   #58
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 01:35
Quote:
Originally posted by Hueij
Don't get a Belgian shepard!

Aside from that, don't get a dog... They bark, they **** on the sidewalk, they smell, they bite and they are way to dependant of humans.

Get a cat!
NO! Cat's are pompous and unaffectionate bastards. Dogs are much nicer and are really affectionate
Old May 2, 2003, 12:36   #59
Pekka
Emperor

Cats are evil. They could like kill you while you sleep.. they never say anything, they just plan their vicious plans all the time.. Cats are very independent.. I like that the dog kind of depends on me, but of course I take good care of them. Dogs are fun and great, they give you unconditional love and loyalty.. rare in humans these days.
Old May 2, 2003, 12:52   #60
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 01:35
Humans are bastards...give me a dog any day

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith