Old May 2, 2003, 13:04   #61
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 03:35
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Frozzy, don't neuter the dog! have some compassion! .
Old May 2, 2003, 13:05   #62
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 19:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm

Bounce your preferences against expert advice.
Old May 2, 2003, 13:47   #63
FemmeAdonis
Prince

Local Time: 00:35
ya want a good apartment dog, that doesnt require a yard...

hmm....well dont get a big dog. they need to stretch their legs. unless you'll be walking them daily.

but dont get too small...because then they are not longer canines...but rodents (chihuahua).

I have pit bulls myself. Awesome dogs..ignore their rep. the bad dogs out there are the result of the stupid owners, not the fact that they are "pit bulls"

ya know what are cool dogs? BULL terriers..like spud Mckenzie?
Old May 2, 2003, 14:06   #64
Az
Emperor

a pitbull ate a puppy in my neighbourhood.
Old May 2, 2003, 14:08   #65
Pekka
Emperor

Azazel, Oh? That sounds horrible
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old May 2, 2003, 14:11   #66
FemmeAdonis
Prince

ouch. poor puppy. did the pit get out of it's yard? pooor puppy..

well my dogs havent killed anything yet...except for a few flies and a handful of june bugs..

oh wait..they have caught like 5 mice...and killed em..didnt eat em..just picked em up, chomped and spit em out.

I HAD them catch em though cuiz they were in my house.

who needs a cat when ya got pit bull ouse catchers?
Old May 2, 2003, 14:25   #67
Az
Emperor

What happened was that the owner of the puppy let the puppy loose in the public park. Then there was this lady that walked the pitbull, with a leash, of course.

The pitbull, when seing the puppy, rushed at it, WHILE DRAGGING THE LADY AFTER HIM, attacked the puppy, killed him, and gnawed him to pieces.
Old May 2, 2003, 15:06   #68
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 16:35
Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
NO! Cat's are pompous and unaffectionate bastards. Dogs are much nicer and are really affectionate
Cats are intelligent, independent and sophisticated enough to realize loyalty is mutual and affection shouldn't be wasted on those who are unworthy, but saved for those who are worthy.

Dogs are just servile, and they'll take anyone.
Old May 2, 2003, 15:16   #69
FemmeAdonis
Prince

awww...pooor puppy.....

my dogs wouldnt attact puppies....they are used to them..have always always been around them. BIG dogs on the other hand, they snarl and bark at while they are on leashes..as strong as my dogs are....if they are ona leash..they might drag me a little, but overall I can hold them back.

stupid lady couldnt control her dog. I hope they destroyed him.....thats too aggressive.

we have two bichon frishces (However you spell it) next door, and about 4 times, my dogs have gotten trhough the fence to prance around with these doggies.

one day I came home and one of my dogs and one of them were in MY yard..and one of my dogs and one of them, were in their yard. guess they were switching for the day.,

we've fixed our fence now though..

but yeah..my big red male..hes like 80 pounds, all head...scared me when I saw him next to the 15 pound furball..but he just wagged his tail and jumped around with it..
Old May 2, 2003, 15:21   #70
Japher
Emperor

I don't believe dogs are born vicious. Their life and their training make them that way. Tell you and me, when I got my dog from the pound, while she loved ppl, hated other dogs and was utterly hand shy (she was only 1 mos old).

Had to trainer her with a choke collar, until it ripped her hair out of her neck. Took her to the police academy and trained her. First with puppies and then with dogs twice her size. If you don't break them, they will break you.

I don't like cats... not goofy enough
Old May 2, 2003, 15:33   #71
Pekka
Emperor

Yes, I hope the dog was put to sleep.. obviously the lady couldn't control it..owner must be able to control the dog at any times.

I hate it when some owners beat and punish their dogs, when the dog clearly doesn't know what's wrong. It's sometimes too late to punish, if the dog did something wrong and you didn't catch it and it doesn't know what you mean.. dog must know why you punish..

It's funny, sometimes when I got home, I KNEW she had done something, because of all the guilt in here eyes .
And sometimes you could hear she was escaping the scene of crime, you just knew it and when you checked it out.. yep.. like ground zero.

Paiktis, you better get used to that it eats your shoes, destroyes them, and maybe few remote controlls, chair and table legs, eats your snacks if you go to bathroom and leave it too low etc etc.. man they can destroy stuff fast! Also when they get little older puppies, there teeth get sharp and it hurts when they bite you all the time when you play with them! But it's all good..
Old May 2, 2003, 16:17   #72
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 17:35
I like dogs alot and as I mentioned before I've had a few but there is one story I'd like to share... When I was 3.5 years old I was walking around with a ham sandwitch in my hand which, being three, I dropped. The Golden immediately pounced on the ham sandwitch and I, again I was three, got down on my hands and knees and tried to take the sandwitch back from the dog. What I was going to do with the sandwitch I don't know but the dog really didn't want to give up the ham sandwitch and ended up biting me on my neck when I took it way.

Yes, I had to have stitches on my neck and yes my father beat the crap out of the dog. No, we never had another "incidient" with either one of or Golden Retrievers. I guess it only happens when little babies try to take ham sandwitches away from really hungry dogs.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 2, 2003, 16:20   #73
Japher
Emperor

Yeah; everything below your knees is fair game to a dog. Including kids and people lying down
Old May 2, 2003, 16:21   #74
Pekka
Emperor

I have noticed that sometimes.. dogs try to boss around little kids.. you know the little ones.
Old May 2, 2003, 16:25   #75
Japher
Emperor

Buddy protects little kids, the smaller they are the more attention they get... especially if they have food.
Old May 2, 2003, 17:28   #76
FemmeAdonis
Prince

I can talk about dogs for DAYS..my dogs are my kids.

and I agree....the way a dog acts is a result of their owner. ive made sure that my dogs arent human aggressive. only one of them is not dog aggressive. Honestly...pits are just dog aggressive. you're a lucky bastard if your older Pit likes other older dogs (that they havent been around for the majority of their life). they are territorial and protective.

I will NEVER take my dogs to a dog park. cant do the Loose dogs around my dogs thing. I am not willing to take a chance, ya know> they could very well not do anything to any other dog, but Im not stupid enough to risk that.

anyhoo...

dogs OWWWWWWWN

I actually have my 4 full grown and 6 puppies (my doggy had babies in March. they are SUCH a handful.
Old May 2, 2003, 17:32   #77
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 02:35
Hey I just got home from some friends, and they have a husky/hunterdog/something else, they don't know really. They took it from Kefalonia, an island of the ionian sea of Greece from some other friends. It was the first time I've seen it. They call it Roxane and it is really lovely.

Now the woman left to get something from the store when I was arriving and I entered the house alone with the doggie. (It is medium build, short light brown hair very affectionate eyes with different colour each one! One blue, One brownish).

Of course the doggie must have thought: WTF? Who's that bloke and what is he doing in my house. So I started carressing it and we became friends. Then I went inside the house to say hi to the kids and it was really noteworthy.

As I approached the children that sweet doggie gave one or two barks. Logical since he didn't know me from before and she wasn't sure if I was cool with the kids. When it saw that they knew me and that everything is cool it started moving its tail again

Then I went upstairs to see the husband of the couple and the doggie followed me right behind! When I approached him, she again started barking once or twice, then she saw that everything was cool and she stopped. After that it was the coup de foudre. I'd just sit there playing with the doggie. It even brought me his plastic bone toy for me to see

Anyway, my friends keep telling me what a drag it is too get a doggie, the same things you tell me and like Pekka said. They say about walking it, chewing everything, shiting all over the place etc etc etc I think they figure, if he doesn't get discouraged at all this then he might as well get one. I'm not discouraged

Last edited by Bereta_Eder; May 2, 2003 at 17:48.
Old May 2, 2003, 17:39   #78
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Pekka
I have noticed that sometimes.. dogs try to boss around little kids.. you know the little ones.
Yep, there's actually a specific referance to how to handle the arrival of newcomers and how to train the dog to realize that he/she is the last of the "pack" so to speak and that he must not think he/she is "above" the little ones.

As I have read the dominance oriented dogs are harder to be trained at that. Also the Golden Retreivers are supposed to be one of the most kid-friendly dogs there are.

Edit: Sloww, thanks for the link.

It is funny. I took 3 different tests and got 3 different top results. So I'll keep the one result I liked
Old May 2, 2003, 17:40   #79
FemmeAdonis
Prince

ive been fortuinate. my dogs havent been too destructive. my furniture is all still in tact. not if you leave a sock on the floor, or kleenex/toilet paper where they can reach it, that will get destroyed. but for the most part, I kept them with chew toys, rawhides and what not while they were pups and "teething" so they wouldnt look for something to chew on.

and as far as peeing and pooing. yes they had their accidents. btu thats what carpet shampooers are for. takes time to potty train. in the end, all of it is worth it.

dogs rock!
Old May 2, 2003, 17:44   #80
FemmeAdonis
Prince

ya know how you can really tell if a dog is going to try to be dominant when they're older?

as a puppy, hold them on their backs..kinda scoop em up in your hands with their belly up. if they struggle and refuse to lay back and chill, they'll likely be more..not aggressive..but dominant (will try to dominate anyway). but if they kick back and relax on their bakcs like a baby, you have a submissive dog that KNOWS who the leader of the pack is.
Old May 2, 2003, 17:47   #81
FemmeAdonis
Prince

dont you just LOOOOVE this cute face?
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	bite.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	43863  
Old May 2, 2003, 17:51   #82
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by FemmeAdonis
in the end, all of it is worth it.
That's the important thing

Neat trick with holding them on their backs to figure out dominance/submissiveness.
Old May 2, 2003, 17:54   #83
FemmeAdonis
Prince

its how I picked my dogs....I mean its not a guarantee of course....because you have to take into account how you raise them

my babies are SO good with me, that while their eating, I can stick my hands in their food, or lay next to them get close to their food and they do nothing. my males just eat faster to avoid me gettign their food, and my two females will back away to let me at their grub.
Old May 2, 2003, 17:55   #84
FemmeAdonis
Prince

and thats one of my girls, Isis, as a puppy in the pic. eating my fingers.

BTW..thats my thumb with the ring on it, in case you're wondering why its so wrinkly and odd looking
Old May 2, 2003, 17:56   #85
Pekka
Emperor

Paiktis, yeah well you know that it's a lot of work sometimes, and sometimes you're pissed and tired and could care less about walking a dog, or dog destroying something makes you super angry, but at the end.. definitely worth it. I don't regret a day with my doggie. I think it's about time that I could think about getting a new puppy.

I have a funny thing I thought I'd tell you guys.. my dog got pregnant by accident (I didn't want it to get puppies), and had 9 puppies. It was huge loads of work, but it was fun to watch all those puppies learning to walk after crawling . Anyway, so I had to sell them when they came to age that I can sell them, and I did.. I checked out every buyer and talked with them, because I wanted to be sure that they'll get into good home so I can be happy about it.. Everyone had my number of course, because you know if something happened and if they had something to ask later.. So this one beautiful day one of the owners called me up, a year after they were born, and she suggested we'd put up a reunion for the dogs in a near by dog park. I agreed, that it was an excellent idea, and I called the other owners too. It was funny, because everyone agreed to come in two weeks notice. One had unfortunately died, but the other 8 made it. I'm telling you it was a day I never forget.. they were having so much fun running in the park and there were no other dogs. I was wondering if they could remember each other, and I can say with high confidence they did! My doggie, the mother then, knew them right away.. it was fun to watch 8 doggies play like crazy and one mother watching it.. she did play with them, but she was more like authority figure there, it was funny too I wasn't expecting it. It was like watching discovery channel..

Then two of them started barking each other in more angry way, not playing any more.. then the most funny thing happened, my doggie, the mother, went between them and gave little GRRRRRRR to both of them and evil eye as a bonus. So she broke it up, and they forgot all about it and continued playing! We had so much fun, though we were little strangers to each other, but it was a day I'll never forget. Just makes me smile even when I write this .

And you should have seen when they were little puppies.. 9 little golden retriever puppies who all want your attention and follow you.. it's funny image when they can walk and all 9 of them follow you sometimes, bumping each other
Old May 2, 2003, 17:57   #86
Pekka
Emperor

FemmeAdonis, That's a cute dog
Old May 2, 2003, 17:59   #87
FemmeAdonis
Prince

watching a litter of puppies grow up is the COOLEST...from them sliding around..and scooting..to the commando crawl they do when they cant quite walk...to them bouncing aroudn yipping and yapping like little crackbabies.

i LOOOOOOOOOOOVE it
Old May 2, 2003, 18:01   #88
Pekka
Emperor

I agree with the belly trick
Old May 2, 2003, 18:03   #89
Pekka
Emperor

Plus, dogs are cool because you can tell them secrets and everything you want, they'll listen.. .

So, instead of having real friends, dogs are much better!

And also don't worry about not knowing what to do, you'll get the hang of it.. it's not that hard and you'll learn while you go. Just basic stuff like don't beat it to near death for fun, listen carefully everytime you're going to see a vet, if they say something, it should be pretty important.. just common sense stuff. Don't leave the dog alone for too long periods of time, make sure they have enough water, feed them, walk them and run them.. etc.
And DON'T leave a dog in a car in hot day! They freaking die in there. At least open the window and make a quick stop and not for hours. I see it many times in summer time, the doggies are suffering real bad.
I once read from paper that a dog was whining in car, looking really hot and suffering and the owner was not there.. so by stander was waiting a little bit for the owner to show up, and when nothing happened, he broke the car window, and then took the dog to a vet. They said it was about to die, soon! So he was a hero and saved the dog, and the owner was reaaallly embarrased. I can't remember if the owner got charged for animal cruelty or something like that..

Also, it's sometimes tricky to know when the dog is sick for first timer owners.. you gotta learn to read the signs. Some dogs, like mine, didn't ever show that she was sick, she didn't whine or anything.. then I learned, that when she was miserable, she was most likely sick. You know not waiving tail.. So then I knew something is wrong, and that was my sign. You just need to learn to read your dog too. They can hide it pretty well!

Last edited by Pekka; May 2, 2003 at 18:15.
Old May 2, 2003, 18:18   #90
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Cute doggie FemmeAdonis

Quote:
9 little golden retriever puppies who all want your attention and follow you.. it's funny image when they can walk and all 9 of them follow you sometimes, bumping each other

ROTFL That must have been a sight to see! Cool story too Pekka.

It really must be a treat to see the puppies growing up

BTW about the hurting with their teeth as the puppies get older, there's also a referance about that and how to control it, if you want. You can try to give a light warning then one a bit more stern like giving a small harmless thump on the puppy when it does it. Also Pekka you're right about trying to associate the "crime" with the "punishment" as doggies have relatevly short memory and often, if you delay to scold the doggie about something he/she has done he/she propably wouldn't know why it's being scoled for!!! I know I read too much about doggies and don't even have one, YET!