Old May 2, 2003, 04:29   #31
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 14:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
? Japanese nickname!

I hate the south, in general, but I understand that not all southerners are racist/prejudice/whathaveyou.

My experience in the North was much better...they were a little racist but I could stand it more cause they weren't as hostile. Just offhanded remarks by some illiterate New Yorker didn't faze me...but being stopped in the South while I'm walking in the street is something else entirely.

Racist pigs!
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old May 2, 2003, 05:49   #32
Worthingtons
Prince

Local Time: 00:36
Local Date: November 2, 2010
It may be sad but i can understand the reasons behind this prom. The White people are rebelling against the leftists. The Lefties have created a society whereby Black/Asian/Minority X can have thier own do's and stuff alongside a 'general' mixed event, but the idea of having a WHITE equivelent is totally out of order.

These days the people who can be racist are whites, according to the lefties. When Blacks create thier own little groups that's fine but if we do it we're racist.
Old May 2, 2003, 05:58   #33
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 19:36
Quote:
Originally posted by Frankychan
I hate the South.
We love you too.
Old May 2, 2003, 10:15   #34
Q Classic
Emperor

you know, i've been mistaken for being hispanic too, frankychan~ but rather than being insulted, i found it rather hilarious.

it's kinda bad, because when they started speaking spanish, i couldn't stop myself from snickering...

asians, until recently, haven't been common in the south east, and even now, they still tend to be in the cities. it's not their fault they've never seen us slanty-eyed folk.
Old May 2, 2003, 10:35   #35
Lazerus
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStates
King

Local Time: 01:36
Why's there a Mobo award but no Mowo ?
Why's there 7 (and counting) asian radio/tv channels but no english/white ?
Why is it ok for clubs to be black only (RnB mainly) but not white only ?

Racism swings back and forth.
Aslong as one person on either side hates, then the seed will grow.
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old May 2, 2003, 10:39   #36
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 17:36
Quote:
I'm freeking Japanese-Hawaiian you hillbilly freeks!
Old May 2, 2003, 10:41   #37
Q Classic
Emperor

in the us? in the chicagoland area, i know of only 1 asian channel... and that's so underpowered it's not even funny.

there are rumors of one existing in atlanta... but i've never seen it without static blocking most of the signal...

btw, i'm not arguing with you. i want to know what they are so i can see them.

as for who's racist and who isn't... you're right... as long as one side hates, the weed will spread. i unfortunately also think that in the long short term, people will still seek to clump together with those most like them, since the Other is just a bit too... different.
Old May 2, 2003, 10:41   #38
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Rothy
It may be sad but i can understand the reasons behind this prom. The White people are rebelling against the leftists. The Lefties have created a society whereby Black/Asian/Minority X can have thier own do's and stuff alongside a 'general' mixed event, but the idea of having a WHITE equivelent is totally out of order.

These days the people who can be racist are whites, according to the lefties. When Blacks create thier own little groups that's fine but if we do it we're racist.
No, that's not what the White-only prom is about, if you read the article. It's about a fear of interracial dating, horror of horrors. The horrible Leftist policy was the one in which they said white and black students shouldn't be segregated in schools. What a terrible idea, huh?
Old May 2, 2003, 10:47   #39
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

Boris, why do you try to reason with the willfully ignorant?
Old May 2, 2003, 10:51   #40
C0ckney
King

Local Time: 01:36
/me points to sig

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old May 2, 2003, 10:51   #41
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MRT144
Boris, why do you try to reason with the willfully ignorant?
It's not reasoning, it's shaming!
Old May 4, 2003, 11:00   #42
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Odd, the only Chans I've heard of were definitely Chinese. Are there other Japanese Chans you could point out??

Just curious
Old May 4, 2003, 11:50   #43
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 20:36
Quote:
Originally posted by gsmoove23
The governor was a racist SoB right? Does "Now we all did what we could do" mean they tried to keep him out or what?
It could be a referrence to George Wallace, the former governor of Alabama who tried to thwart the integration of the University of Alabama in the 1950s. Eisenhower sent in the National Guard to protect the black students. The first night local hooligans sniped at the troops and marshals. The federals demonstrated remarkable restraint, refusing to return the fire of their assailants. Their were deaths on the federal side and more than a dozen wounded. No one was ever punished for this outrageous attack on the United States. Wallace was just a judge at the time, but he used his role during this incident as a platform to gain the governorship. By the time he entered the statehouse it was too late, there was nothing he could do to stop progress. Eventually he ran for President, but by this time it was no longer possible to completely reverse the clock, so he had greatly toned down his racist rhetoric. Ironically he was crippled by a white racist who felt that Wallace wasn't doing enough to promote white supremacy. Years later Wallace repented his support for segregation, going so far as to appear on TV with Coretta King.

When Lynard Skinner talks about supporting the governor he could mean that he supported Wallace's fight against civil rights for black people, or his candidacy for the Presidency, or that he supported his change of heart. There is a tendency these days for white racists to cloud their rhetoric just enough to permit a degree of deniability. I guess this means we got'em on the run!
Old May 4, 2003, 11:58   #44
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
My experience in the North was much better...they were a little racist but I could stand it more cause they weren't as hostile. Just offhanded remarks by some illiterate New Yorker didn't faze me...but being stopped in the South while I'm walking in the street is something else entirely.
:
I taught at Dartmouth College for a couple of years in the late 70s. Most of my students were from New York and Massachusetts. With few exceptions most of them felt that the black people in their cities were an unwanted burden unjustly dumped upon them. These remarks were often offered up right in full few of one of the few black students in the class. The consensus was that blacks were a southern problem and should be sent back to the South. Since I was a southerner and not an Ivy League graduate there was also a general feeling that I should go back with them.
Old May 4, 2003, 12:15   #45
Caligastia
Emperor

I don't see what the flap is all about. If students want to have an all-white prom then that's their decision. It's called freedom of association. If a white prom is so upsetting to you, then why don't you get upset about black student unions etc? It seems that some people here think it's ok for any race to segregate themselves except whites. If whites are the only ones not allowed to segregate, the white race will eventually be bred out of existence. So much for diversity...
Old May 4, 2003, 12:37   #46
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Local Time: 16:36
Jersey = the armpit of america
California = brought you the internet, and silicon valley. If you don't want us, thats fine, we can become our own country, and then we wont have to worry about racism, illegal wars, repealing of environmental laws, and other such ****ups generally supported by the rest of the country.
Old May 4, 2003, 12:40   #47
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

If the segregated prom is a private party there is not much that can be done about it, provided that it doesn't take away from the real prom. It would not be right to remove funding from the official prom. It also would be proper to object to referring to the private party as a prom, since "prom" generally refers to a function sponsored by the school. Referring to the private party as a prom would falsely imply official sanctioning of the affair.

In Virginia there were counties in the 1960s that actually closed their public school systems rather than integrate.