Old May 2, 2003, 11:13   #61
Lazerus
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStates
King

Local Time: 01:36
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old May 2, 2003, 11:22   #62
Kropotkin
Emperor

Local Time: 02:36
Intelligence can mean so much. Bush is hardly a Bismarck, able to do pretty much everything himself. However, he might for example have an ability to pick people that will give him good advice that at the same time is close to what he would have wanted if he had the time or ability to come to his own conclutions. As a world leader nowadays this ability is essential. History is full of smart people picking stupid people for their staff.

Now, I don't say that he has this ability. But just because he might have problems finding a country on a map before he starts a war against it doesn't mean he lack the other ability. I might win a game of Trivial Pursuit against him but that doesn't make me a better president.

And no, I don't like him and he hardly seem intelligent to me. But, how knows if the first doesn't affect the later. This is something that probably works the other way. It's not that strange to think that people that you agree with are smarter than people you disagree with.
Old May 2, 2003, 11:24   #63
Menlas
Chieftain

Personnaly, I don't think Bush is stupid at all...

The problem is, he's more ignorant that my 11 years old little brother. He's probably the most ignorant leader USA ever had, by far. But he's intelligent.
Old May 2, 2003, 11:26   #64
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 19:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Which is more than can be said for you.
Old May 2, 2003, 11:31   #65
Kropotkin
Emperor

But then again you're about the age of his brother.
Old May 2, 2003, 11:32   #66
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 21:36
Quote:
The problem is, he's more ignorant that my 11 years old little brother. He's probably the most ignorant leader USA ever had, by far. But he's intelligent.
Like your country? The thing about Chirac is he is far more arrogant than Bush.. and far more stupid.

Clear Skies:

THat is the kind of response I expected from a liberal. Excuses, excuses, excuses. The fact remains many things Bush has said could be interpreted two ways. The book twisted things to suit its own means.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old May 2, 2003, 11:43   #67
gsmoove23
Warlord

Local Time: 00:36
As for picking advisors he has the wisdom and experience of his father and father's friends to fall back on, which shows in his choices. Although, I think he obviously shows some independant thought, since he seems to swing further stupid, err... right then his father would have.
Old May 2, 2003, 11:48   #68
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 21:36
Gsmoove, great way to insult the right-wing. Obviously you have nothing.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old May 2, 2003, 11:49   #69
gsmoove23
Warlord

But I corrected myself
Old May 2, 2003, 11:51   #70
Kropotkin
Emperor

It's fantastic how some people think that calling another person stupid without even explaining why is a good way to win an argument.

Last edited by Kropotkin; May 2, 2003 at 12:00.
Old May 2, 2003, 12:26   #71
Ned
King

Local Time: 16:36
Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov

Bush scored a 1206, Gore scored a 1355. Both Gore's verbal and math were higher than Bush's:

A 1200 score is hardly Yale material, however.
What is Yale material?
Old May 2, 2003, 12:32   #72
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 18:36
all schools post a range of SAT score for thier incoming classes. You would be hard-pressed to find many people with 1200 SAT's getting into Yale, speically on academics lone. If you have a 1200 SAT and go tinto Yale, then something else must have been present to get you in ahead of endless hordes with higher scores that don;t get in.

As for Bush's intelligence: I go by the multiple intelligence's arguemn that came up in the How smart are you thread. bush is great with people, and probably is also very athletic. He is not an intellectual, nor is book-learning one of his strenghts. If Book-smarts and quick wits are what you call intelligence, then no, Bush is not highly intelligent. If you accept there are more than one way to be smart, then you can say Bush is smart..of course, there are very few openly stupid people, and you can;t be elected prez. if you were one of them.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old May 2, 2003, 12:34   #73
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Bush is 'highly intelligent'
So was Lassie, but you wouldn't make her president would you?

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old May 2, 2003, 12:42   #74
Ned
King

Yale has median 730 math and 720 verbal.

Yeah, it does look like neither Gore nor Bush are Yale material.
Old May 2, 2003, 12:43   #75
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Fez
Like your country? The thing about Chirac is he is far more arrogant than Bush.. and far more stupid.
Absolutely. As always, we are #1
Old May 2, 2003, 12:43   #76
Clear Skies
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
So was Lassie, but you wouldn't make her president would you?
Percy (a collie/Alsatian cross) ran against Katherine Harris for Congress. Guess you could say it was a case of dog beat dog.
Old May 2, 2003, 12:44   #77
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned

That was after they rescaled the SAT tests to make them easier

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old May 2, 2003, 12:45   #78
Ned
King

But as Yalies would say, they both clearly qualify for Harvard.
Old May 2, 2003, 12:45   #79
muppet
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
Of course Tony Blair would say that W is intelligent. What else could he have said, W is an idiot? What would that make Blair?
A smart idiot?
Old May 2, 2003, 12:46   #80
Japher
Emperor

First; who cares what he got on his SATs? Standardized test don't tell you anything... Anyway, I know a guy who aced that stupid test and is now in prison... oh, yeah, before that he worked a Egghead... real genius.

Second; Bush may not have gotten in to school on merit, and private schools generally pass you as long as your bill is paid, but that is how much of society is. I really don't think that a complete dunderhead would of gotten elected to the level of public office that he did based souly on who his dad is.

Third; How smart can one be to one want to work in public service... as a politician for that matter. Heck, just the fact that he is a politician lowers his IQ IMO.

Fourth; He's from Texas... I don't what that really means.

Fifth; He has a really high approval rating so he must be doing something right. I don't whatever that is that he is doing right is a Forrest Gump accident.

Sixth; Ppl always insult the president for something, no matter who the president is.

Seventh; He's smarter than G. Davis, that *****.

I like the guy, I don't know anything about his intelligence, yet his success at being president says a lot to me... Yet, he's no Jimmy Carter
Old May 2, 2003, 12:47   #81
GePap
Emperor

Yeah, but even before they re-scaled them, 1200 was not Yale material by itself. Legacy surely had a huge impact in Bush's admission, specially since he came form an upper-crust Conneticutt family.
Old May 2, 2003, 12:52   #82
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 17:36
There was a recent story in a local paper about a kid on Long Island who graduated top of his class from highschool with a perfect 1600 on the SATs, a near-perfect grade point average, and extra-curricular activities out the wazoo (sports teams, president of the student body, school newspaper, etc.).

He was rejected by: Yale, Harvard, Princeton, Columbia and Stanford. He's now going to Duke, but the explanation given in the article shows how the Ivy League schools work. Despite is academic excellence, he was competing against tons of people who have the same kinds of records. But he had no family members who had gone to these schools, nor was he a minority, nor was he from an impoverished background.

Bush and Gore got into their respective schools because of the family legacy, this is pretty indisputable. Bush's SAT scores and high school grades were abysmal compared to his peers at Yale. But his Daddy was head of the CIA and was a famous, wealthy graduate of the school. In the end, it's about legacy.
Old May 2, 2003, 13:02   #83
GePap
Emperor

There is a sort of affermative action for locations going on as well. The Northeast produces immense amounts of students with glowing academics, and if only academics counted, most bigs schools in the East would be made up almost completely of people from the Northeast (lots of gifted students from elsewhere try to stick close to home). A student from Cali. with a 1450 SAT and a good set of "others", top of his/her class would be far more likely to get into Yale, Harvard, Princeton, so forth, than a person with 1600 and everything that kid you mentioned had, if s/he happened to be competing with half a dozen kids in the same school with the same credentials.
Old May 2, 2003, 13:13   #84
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Yeah, it does look like neither Gore nor Bush are Yale material.
Test standards have changed since then. Add about 80 to 150 points to pre 1980s SAT scores to get today"s equivilant, also real results, even absent rescaling, are, I believe, up today, as well many top schools being more selective. I recall being activiely recruited (on cold calls where I had not contacted them) and offered scholarships from top schools around the country just on account of my SAT scores (a bit higher than Gore's) which I had blanket released to any school interested.
From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Last edited by Lefty Scaevola; May 2, 2003 at 13:22.
Old May 2, 2003, 13:15   #85
Menlas
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Fez

Coming from you Fez, I guess it's a pretty nice compliment for Chirac. I don't even know if he deserves such an honor
Old May 2, 2003, 13:25   #86
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 14:36
Anybody know a good site for converting old/new scores? And what if you were at the top on the old test?
Old May 2, 2003, 13:28   #87
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 17:36
Quote:
Originally posted by GP
Anybody know a good site for converting old/new scores? And what if you were at the top on the old test?
A 1600 is a 1600, old or new.

I took my last SAT the year before they changed the test and got a 1370, I think. My dad told me that under the new scores it would be something like a 1480, I think.
Old May 2, 2003, 13:28   #88
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 14:36
Found one: http://www.greenes.com/html/convert.htm

The differentiation of top scores has dissapeared. (about a 90 point bonus added in new scoring method.)
Old May 2, 2003, 13:32   #89
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Boris can be mistaken?
Let me write this date down.
Old May 2, 2003, 13:34   #90
gunkulator
Prince

This whole "GWBush is a dummy" thing reminds me of the buzz and "common knowledge" that was kicking around 15 years ago that Bush Sr. was a "wimp". Dozens of pundits bemoaned the so-called "wimp factor" that supposedly plagued the elder Bush. Of course we now know the fate of that ex-Navy pilot shot down in the Pacific - hardly the story of a wimp.

Personally, none of us know GWB well enough to judge his intelligence. He isn't the best public speaker, and he has that deer-in-the-headlights look when he talks on TV. I disagree with many of his policies but that hardly makes him an imbecile.