View Poll Results: Have you lost family?
Yes, a parent 30 14.08%
Yes, a child 5 2.35%
Yes, a sibling 11 5.16%
Yes, a grandparent 72 33.80%
Yes, a grandchild 2 0.94%
Yes, and uncle or aunt 32 15.02%
Yes, a cousin 18 8.45%
Yes, nephew or niece 5 2.35%
Yes, another form of relative I was close to 14 6.57%
Yes, someone not family by blood but close (step-relative) 15 7.04%
No, thankfully not 9 4.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 2, 2003, 22:45   #31
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 20:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
My cousin died from drug OD. He was only 23.
My paternal grandfather died when I was 2.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old May 3, 2003, 01:57   #32
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 17:38
Wow, this sure is turning out to be a cheery thread! I'm beginning to feel almost positive about my situation. At least my mother's demise will put an end to the heartbreak her disease has caused the family, and we'll be able to get on with our lives.

Dr S., my heart goes out to you and your brother. I guess death isn't the only way to lose a family member. I've spent some time in places like that back in my travelling days, and there's a lot of sad stories and broken dreams in them. I hope he finds the faith and courage to turn his life around again. It has been known to happen.
Old May 3, 2003, 02:58   #33
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

my dad died several years ago. he was an alcoholic and wasn't a very good father. I'm not really sure how I should feel about this.
Old May 3, 2003, 03:07   #34
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 12:38
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Never knew my father's parents. My mother's father died in October 2001 on his birthday, 31st October.
Old May 3, 2003, 20:54   #35
Willem
Emperor

Make that two parents now. My mother finally passed away this afternoon, peacefully in her sleep. Her long ordeal with Alzheimers is finally over. She will be missed very much by all of us in the family, but we're also glad that her slow and steady decline has come to an end.

I say again, if any of you are ever asked to donate towards this awful disease, please do so.
Old May 3, 2003, 21:13   #36
JCG
Prince

Local Time: 19:38
One of my uncles, one of my grandparents (and the other on the way....sadly).
Old May 3, 2003, 21:18   #37
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 21:38
My uncle (on my dad's side)

He was a Vietnam war Veteran... and was in 'Nam for quite some time. (Don't remember how long exactly) He died of cancer... which is probable was caused by Agent Orange. He passed away about a year ago. I miss him..
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old May 3, 2003, 21:23   #38
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Willem
Make that two parents now. My mother finally passed away this afternoon, peacefully in her sleep. Her long ordeal with Alzheimers is finally over. She will be missed very much by all of us in the family, but we're also glad that her slow and steady decline has come to an end.

I say again, if any of you are ever asked to donate towards this awful disease, please do so.
Very sorry to hear of your loss. But you're right in that her ordeal is over, and you can live with the comfort of loving memories. She had her family around her to share love, which is more than many people have at the end of their lives, so for that she was blessed.
Old May 3, 2003, 23:07   #39
Bosh
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:38
To kick up the cheeryness a bit, I've had three good friends die. My best childhood friend who I hadn't seen in years ODed on heroin last year, one of my other good childhood friends died of leukemia after fighting it for years and years and having a huge community campaign grow up to cover his medical costs and a friend from HS died from brain cancer that everyone thought had been beaten just a week before graduation
And then I saw a cancer distribution chart with a nice big red streak of highened cancer rates in a line downwind from the nearest nuclear power plant straight towards where I lived...
Old May 4, 2003, 00:09   #40
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

while it's sad to see those who have lost so many, i think what may be most sad is the 4 who have lost children. I think it is most unfortunate for fathers and mothers to outlive their offspring...

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old May 4, 2003, 00:13   #41
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

i've been lucky, myself, only having lost one grandparent (at a young age, so I don't remember him) to lung cancer from cigarettes, a great great aunt (old age), a step-great grandmother (old age) and a very close friend of the family who we considered an 'uncle' to various forms of cancer (not cigarette related). Thankfully, we were able to get my dad to quit smoking cigarettes 2 years ago, and he seems much healthier since...still strong and working 12 hour days to put me through school and keep us living the kind of lifestyle that we do...my mom is in excellent health, as are most of my aunts and uncles. Cousins and siblings are all still young (23 being the eldest of my cousins) No children to speak of yet.

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old May 4, 2003, 02:09   #42
cinch
Warlord

I lost both of my grandmothers to emphysema as a direct result of cigarettes... This probably contributes to my knee-jerk negative reaction towards smoking, in general.

Everyone always points to cancer as the greatest fear one has when smoking, but emphysema should be considered, also. It's not as fast as cancer; it's a drawn-out, painful, withering-away death. Heartwrenching. And so damn unnecessary.
Old May 4, 2003, 02:42   #43
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 18:38
I lost my sister (when she was 5 and I 7) to congenital heart defects (actually complications from open heart surgery)

she was my best freind at the time

that is the only close family death that I have expereinced

Jon Miller
Old May 4, 2003, 05:11   #44
connorkimbro
Emperor

one of my grandparents, and all of my greatgrandparents (i include them, since they were all alive when i was born and i can remember them)

-theonion.com
Old May 4, 2003, 05:15   #45
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

No one...
Old May 4, 2003, 09:50   #46
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

3 grandparents -- one died when I was 4, while my fathers parents died 6 months apart in their mid-80s-- everyone believes that pop died of a "broken" heart after losing his wife of 60 years ( he did die of heart failure

My wife's father-- that was really tough for her
Old May 4, 2003, 11:11   #47
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

My Dad was diagnosed as having multiple myeloma, a cancer of the immune system that generally grows in the marrow of bones, in 1980. He failed all attempts to stop it with chemotherapy, and suffered multple vertebral fractures due to metastases growing in his vertebrae. In 1981 his mother's heart began to fail. He boarded a plane to Memphis, but developed respiratory trouble after the plane reached altitude. The collapse of his thoracic spine had reduced his ability to increase his ventilatory volume in response to the lower barometric pressure at flight altitudes. He was returned to home and hospitalized, then died that night. His mother died the following morning.
Old May 5, 2003, 02:16   #48
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 10:38
Condolences to you all.

Quite a few deaths around me but fortunately most were timely rather than tragic.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old May 6, 2003, 18:29   #49
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

All my parents and grandparents are still alive and in good health. I've been fortunate so far.

Troll:
Well said.

Quote:
It would be the compassionate thing to do, after the way Alzheimers has ravaged her life,
Willem:
Eh? If she is so close to dying, what will you be sparing her from? Anyways, I'll pray for her tonight, that the suffering will lessen.
Old May 6, 2003, 23:32   #50
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Who are the 4 who have lost children? My heart goes out to them.
Old May 7, 2003, 00:47   #51
Swissy
Civilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMRise of Nations MultiplayerIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerBtS Tri-League

Lost my son to cancer, a week before the Christmas of '94. He was three years old.
Old May 7, 2003, 02:41   #52
OldWarrior_42
Prince

All four Grandparents ... a long time ago. My Father in law... christmas of 2001.

Lots of uncles and aunts... a few cousins. My wifes very close cousin in January.

My oldest brothers daughter... about 12 years ago.

Can't think of who else... lots of close friends... death happens. But my Dad just turned 80 today...5-7-23 birthday and my mom will be 76 in November. Amazing for them.
Old May 7, 2003, 02:50   #53
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 10:38
Quote:
Originally posted by Swissy
Lost my son to cancer, a week before the Christmas of '94. He was three years old.

That is so sad.

Wish there was something I could do Swissy

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old May 7, 2003, 04:25   #54
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 01:38
Swisy thtas awful.

! grandad died before my Mum was 12 so inever met him, teh other died when i was 4 so i don't remember him, strnagely though i remember him dying, i think because it made my Dad sad. My Dad died 2 years ago he was overeight and smoked, 1 night my Mum rang me to say he wasn't well and would i ask him to go to the doctor half an hour later i got a call saying he was dead.

I had 2 great grandmas 1 died at 93 when i was 15 the other died last year at 101.
Old May 7, 2003, 05:34   #55
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 01:38
All my grandparents are dead, and one uncle. My parents and parents in law are ok so far. One very dear friend is deadly sick... damn cancer. There's nothing worse than losing a child to cancer, though. Condolences, Swissy.
Old May 7, 2003, 06:56   #56
Tiamat
Apolyton Legend

Local Time: 00:38
Where to begin. I lost my mother to ovarian cancer when I was 19. She decided to go the Christian Science route and not go to a doctor until it was to late. It's been almost 24 years but I still can't talk about it.

I've lost both grandparents on both sides. My aunt, an uncle, 2 of my best friends in the world to suicide and most recently a woman who was like a second grandmother to me. The older you get the longer the list seems to get.
You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran
Old May 7, 2003, 08:41   #57
Sikander
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MRT144
Ming, doesnt your banning rod have some sort of "ressurection" setting?
That only works for erections.
Old May 7, 2003, 08:47   #58
Sikander
King

I lost my mother two years ago, and her mother last year. My little brother died when I was a kid, and that was really hard even though he was a baby. I guess I had imagined all the fun we would have as he got older. When I was born 6 of my great grandparents were alive, and all my grandparents, uncles etc. Now I have only one grandmother left, and she won't last the year. The truly scary thing is that you begin to realize that the longer you live the lonelier you get. As people who experienced the same things as you have passed on, theyleav you as the only witness who remembers the events of your life and times.
Old May 7, 2003, 09:08   #59
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 02:38
My grandparents and an aunt on my father's side. His mother died when I was little, the other two several years back.

But frankly, I felt very little. I only felt kind of sad for my father...
All of my family lives in Belgium, while I grew up in Holland. I basically only saw them once or twice a year (a bit more when I was younger), and I haven't seen either family for quite some time now (my mum's family Christmas 2001 I think, my dad's family at my granddad's funeral in June 2001).

I'll be seeing most of my mum's family this saturday though as my sister's getting married. (something near the opposite end of the spectrum here )
Old May 7, 2003, 19:54   #60
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by obiwan18

Eh? If she is so close to dying, what will you be sparing her from? Anyways, I'll pray for her tonight, that the suffering will lessen.
Well you were a little late I'm afraid, thanks for the good intention though. She passed away on Saturday, everyone said their final goodbyes yesterday, and she'll be cremated soon.

I was hoping we could donate her brain for Alzheimers research, but there was no demand for it at the time. I guess they have a few by now. It would have been nice if there could have been some good to come out of her disease, but I guess she'll just end up being yet another statisic.

But she was never in any pain and she passed away peacefully, so for that we're grateful.