Old May 3, 2003, 02:45   #1
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 19:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
X Men 2 *Spoilers*
I thought it was an very good movie but it did leave me with a few questions.

1) How are they going to handle the Phoenix angle they introduced in X3? Would something along the lines of what Ultimate X-Men be appropiate?

2) Will we ever get to see Hank McCoy in action?

3) Damn it! I want Sentinels!
Old May 3, 2003, 02:57   #2
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

It would be really, REALLY nice to see Gambit.

I just saw it tonight...

didn't think it was as good as the first, but it was enjoyable.

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old May 3, 2003, 03:01   #3
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by orange
It would be really, REALLY nice to see Gambit.
Sorry, they need another blue mutant. However, Stryker did have a file on him so anything is possible.
Old May 3, 2003, 03:14   #4
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 20:40
mmm... Gambit... that would be very nice.

Especially the dynamic between Rogue and Gamby. Gotta see the X-Men 2 soon .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old May 3, 2003, 07:35   #5
Menlas
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:40
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Saw it wednesday, I enjoyed it

By the way...do you think, like me, that Dr. Grey is still alive ? Because at the end, we see Xavier looking out of the window, then smiling, as if he had discovered something (and we know he's somewhat able to 'detect' the mutants)...and the movie ends upon the lake where she's supposed to be dead.
Old May 3, 2003, 08:59   #6
Chieftain

Throughout the movie, they implied Jean was going to be turning into the Pheonix. So she's not dead.
Old May 3, 2003, 09:29   #7
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 00:40
Quote:
Originally posted by 1
Throughout the movie, they implied Jean was going to be turning into the Pheonix. So she's not dead.
That's the way it happened in the comics too, right?
Old May 3, 2003, 09:41   #8
Menlas
Chieftain

Hmm..and who is the Phoenix please (i didn't read the comics) ?
Old May 3, 2003, 10:49   #9
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Anyone paying close enough attention could have seen a reference to gambit in the new movie. When mystique was perusing through Stryker's computer, you see the name "Remy Lebeau" on screen.

As for the movie itself, I thought it was awesome. It was even better than the orignal (which was quite good in it's own right) and even rivaled spiderman for best superhero movie ever.

The first thing I thought after I got out of the movie was how they were going to handle the phoenix angle. I guess I naturally assumed it woudl resemble the classical dark phoenix saga, but if there is something different in the new ultimate books I guess they could borrow from that.
Old May 3, 2003, 10:51   #10
monkspider
King

BTW, I thought Night Crawler was great, he was really the star of the show. The main character I would like to see next, besides Beast of course, is juggernaut.
Old May 3, 2003, 10:53   #11
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Menlas
Hmm..and who is the Phoenix please (i didn't read the comics) ?
I'm no expert, but from what I recall from the cartoons, the Phoenix is an alien with immense powers. The Phoenix surfaces in Jean Gray when she's under intense pressure (life or death situations), and if Jean 'gives in' fully to the power, she turns into a huge flaming phoenix - which is what you could see under the water at the end of the movie.
Old May 3, 2003, 10:54   #12
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

Quote:
Originally posted by monkspider
BTW, I thought Night Crawler was great, he was really the star of the show. The main character I would like to see next, besides Beast of course, is juggernaut.
I was sooo disappointed we didn't get to see Beast - someone told me he would be introduced in this one.
Old May 3, 2003, 10:57   #13
Menlas
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by dejon

I'm no expert, but from what I recall from the cartoons, the Phoenix is an alien with immense powers. The Phoenix surfaces in Jean Gray when she's under intense pressure (life or death situations), and if Jean 'gives in' fully to the power, she turns into a huge flaming phoenix - which is what you could see under the water at the end of the movie.
Ok, thanks
Old May 3, 2003, 11:20   #14
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
someone told me he would be introduced in this one.
You got to see Hank in this movie.
Old May 3, 2003, 11:34   #15
Hot Mustard
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
You got to see Hank in this movie.
Really? Was he the big guy whose chest deflected bullets in the school raid? I wondered if that was him... I never read the comics, so my only visualization of Beast is from the cartoon - a stocky blue beast, and he didn't quite seem to fit.
Old May 3, 2003, 11:37   #16
monkspider
King

He was the "Hank McCoy" guy you see in the bar, IIRC.
Old May 3, 2003, 12:01   #17
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

What a fricken amazing movie. I can't say its better than Spider-Man, but I've got too much attachment to Spider-Man to judge objectively. Though I could see hwo an objective person could rank X2 as the best comic movie of all time.

Us fans all want to see more and more characters in the movie, but its frankly getting really crowded. I hear Collossus (the guy whose skin turned to metal) will have a bigger part in the next movie. I of course would love to see Gambit and Beast and Angel and Cable and god knows who else in it too, and if they do as many sequels as Brian Singer has suggested they'll have time, but it'll have to be at the expense of current characters. You simply can't fit that many people into one movie. But we'll all be teased for years to come with a multitude of cameos and teasers from all the different mutants.

In the forums at SuperheroHype.com fans are suggesting they may include the Hellfire Club and Sentinels. (in addition to phoenix of course).

Also, it has been posited that Singer will skip the intergalactic, alien component to the Phoenix Saga because he is intent on keeping things realistic and believable. He probably will just have phoenix be a new manifestation of her powers or something. Works for me.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old May 3, 2003, 12:06   #18
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

Quote:
Really? Was he the big guy whose chest deflected bullets in the school raid? I wondered if that was him... I never read the comics, so my only visualization of Beast is from the cartoon - a stocky blue beast, and he didn't quite seem to fit.
The original Beast from like the 60s was a stocky human looking person. Wasn't all blue and furry as he became later. I don't know when the switch came in the comics, but he started out looking fairly normal, and thats what he was on TV. Actually, if i recall (and i may be imagining this) didn't they mention Dr. McCoy in the first movie? Like during the Senate testimony? I forget.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old May 3, 2003, 12:22   #19
Hot Mustard
King

OzzyKP:

Thanks for the information!

I have avoided SuperheroHype.com, as they don't seem to have much regard for anyone who hasn't read the comics.

With all these characters, there is great potential for many more movies. The makers of the Batman movies had hoped for a long run too though, and shot themselves in the foot with bad casting, poor scripts, etc. Let's hope the same thing doesn't happen.
Old May 3, 2003, 12:29   #20
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

yea they are a bit anal. I can be emissary between the comic geeks and newbies. hehe.

Old May 3, 2003, 13:07   #21
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
Beast started out as a large footed/handed stocky normal guy but in an effort to remove his mutant powers IIRC, he turned himself into a blue, furry guy.

The message kids? Be happy the way you are.

And don't play with your DNA.
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old May 3, 2003, 19:21   #22
Q Classic
Emperor

the beast from the cartoon was the later form of the beast in the book.

dr hank mccoy is the beast, but he starts off looking like a normal person, before having his dna tinkered with.

remy lebeau (gambit) is the name right above eric lensherr's when mystique first manages to hack into yuriko's computer. (did anyone else notice she wasn't referred to as lady deathstrike in the dialogue at all?)

the boy who sticks his tongue out twice? i suspect he's the leech... a) the beastly tongue, and b) his name is artie... which isn't that common.

the boy who changes channels by blinking--i think he's the same kid we saw teleporting in basketball in the first movie.

the young asian girl captured is most likely jubilee... why didn't she try using her powers to make a flare?

we saw kitty pride again, and the screaming girl i can't recall her name, but she's also from the comic strip.

i suspect that jason, the illusionist, is supposed to be mastermind...

colossus was cool, but he disappointed me a bit-- no russian accent.

===

and it's too bad the cold war is over, because i think it'd be cool to have omega red in one of the next ones.
Old May 3, 2003, 20:15   #23
Lonestar
inmate
King

References you ignoramuses clearly missed

Sentinals
Project Wideawake was referenced. That's the code name for the Sentinels.

Sebastian Shaw
Was debating with Hank.

The Fantastic Four
Franklin Richards had not just a file, but a *folder* on him!

Siren
The Daughter of Banshee. Her voice is slightly louder and shriller than most wimmin's.
Old May 3, 2003, 22:33   #24
monkspider
King

Wow, I didn't even notice those. Thanks Lonestar, now i have a way to justify seeing it again, heh heh heh.
Old May 3, 2003, 22:40   #25
monkspider
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Q Cubed

the young asian girl captured is most likely jubilee... why didn't she try using her powers to make a flare?
If you watch the first X-Men with the audio commentary on, the director (Singer) mentions that some girl that is sitting in one of the classroom scenes is actually Jubilee. So the girl you saw may have actually been her.

Also, the first audio commentary mentions that you can see Colossus drawing a picture for about half a second in the basketball scene, and, AFAIK, it is the same actor who portrays him in the new movie.
Old May 3, 2003, 23:54   #26
Lonestar
inmate
King

Even worse...the President is a Mutant!
Old May 4, 2003, 00:04   #27
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 14:40
I thought the movie was ok, but for antagonists Stryker was pretty lame. You know that he's going to lose since he didn't have any Sentinels on his side, I think the movie was lopsided.

I liked Lady Deathstrike (Kelly Hu!! Go Hawaii ppl! ) But the movie wasn't as good as the first, but was still kick butt.

Anyway, I've heard that they're thinking of making a Fantastic Four movie. This this true? If it is, I'm hoping the main villain is Dr. Doom!

Hail Doom!
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old May 4, 2003, 00:06   #28
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 14:40
Quote:
Originally posted by Lonestar

The Fantastic Four
Franklin Richards had not just a file, but a *folder* on him!
But Franklin Richards isn't a mutant.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old May 4, 2003, 00:10   #29
Lonestar
inmate
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Frankychan

Let's make a bet. If I'm wrong, you get to completely destroy the Protectorate In BAC, if you're wrong I get to destroy the GHE.
Old May 4, 2003, 00:12   #30
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Lonestar

Sentinals
Project Wideawake was referenced. That's the code name for the Sentinels.

Sebastian Shaw
Was debating with Hank.
I didn't notice those two. Good catch! However, you should be ashamed to have missed Jaime Maddox.

Quote:
He was a very powerful (read: omnipotent) mutant until he lost his powers. Who did you think was responsible for the Heroes Reborn episode?