Old May 4, 2003, 00:12   #31
Bkeela
King

Local Time: 10:40
Local Date: November 2, 2010
This was one great film.

The first X-Men film was interesting, but it didn't really captivate me. I didn't bother seeing Spiderman or Daredevil. The CGI effects in those films looked to be over done from what I witnessed in the trailers. I hate Lucas' dependance on CGI, so the thought of seeing Spiderman and his nemesis as pure CGI action was a major turn-off.

X-Men 2 didn't abuse CGI. The fight between Wolverine and Lady Deathstrike took 3 weeks to film! That's what I pay money to see, not some dumb unrealistic animated Spiderman flying through the air.

The continuity from the first film had me instantly involved. It had a serial kind of feel, like Star Wars which is what I always hope from any sequel.

The characters in X-Men 2 were interesting. Every single one of them. And what a cast to represent them! Most films just have one babe, but with Halle Berry, Famke Janssen, Anna Paquin and Rebecca Romijn-Stamos as the shapely Mystique, this film was a feast for the eyes.

*spoiler*

But what really set this movie apart for me - what put it miles above any super hero film I have seen since the second Superman - was the escape of Magneto. I saw a thread here recently that claimed Magneto was weak and lame. I couldn't disagree more. His escape from his plastic gaol was as satisfying as Hannibal Lecter's great escape in Silence of the Lambs. Bryan Singer obviously drew inspiration from that film. Seeing Magneto manipulating that liquid metal, hovering over the gulf like a transcendant god - it was simply superb. Not since Superman II when Superman crushed the hand of General Zod has a previously impotent character made such a dramatic comeback.

The climax was the icing on the cake. Just when I thought the film was over, it kept unfolding like the waves rushing from the bursting dam.

Most good films totally capture my attention. I am immersed in the fantasy world presented to me, and when the film ends, I come back to myself with mild shock and disappointment. Bad films fail to do this, and I look around the darkened theatre, look at my watch, and check the aisles to see if I can make an easy get away. But truly great films have me looking at my watch, hoping the film will never end. That is what X-Men 2 did for me.

FANTASTIC MOVIE.

Bkeela.

Last edited by Bkeela; May 4, 2003 at 00:18.
Old May 4, 2003, 00:17   #32
Lonestar
inmate
King

Local Time: 20:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
I didn't notice those two. Good catch! However, you should be ashamed to have missed Jaime Maddox.

Damn! Where?

Quote:
He was a very powerful (read: omnipotent) mutant until he lost his powers. Who did you think was responsible for the Heroes Reborn episode?

Shush! Help me out here!
Old May 4, 2003, 00:19   #33
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 14:40
Isn't Franklin Richards=Mr. Fantastic?

Thanks, Dino. I almost took that bet.

"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old May 4, 2003, 00:23   #34
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 19:40
Quote:
Originally posted by Lonestar
Damn! Where?
Stryker has a file on him. You see his name on the screen when Mystique is going through his computer. Don't feel to bad. I missed it the first time I saw the movie.

PS How do you think they'll handle the Pheonix? Rip off the Ultimate X-Men version of the story the sameway they did God Loves, Man Kills or something else?
Old May 4, 2003, 00:25   #35
Lonestar
inmate
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Frankychan
Isn't Franklin Richards=Mr. Fantastic?

Thanks, Dino. I almost took that bet.

Way to Bravo-foxtrot a fellow AECCP member Dinodoc!

Reed Richards is Mister Fantastic
Old May 4, 2003, 00:27   #36
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Way to Bravo-foxtrot a fellow AECCP member Dinodoc!
Sorry.
Old May 4, 2003, 00:30   #37
Lonestar
inmate
King

Quote:

PS How do you think they'll handle the Pheonix? Rip off the Ultimate X-Men version of the story the sameway they did God Loves, Man Kills or something else?
I'm glad I'm not the only one who say the God loves, Man kills connection.

I think they'll do it with the UXM, after all, they did have Sebastian Shaw...
Old May 4, 2003, 00:34   #38
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Whoops, got the two mixed up.

Then who is this 'Franklin'?
Old May 4, 2003, 00:36   #39
Lonestar
inmate
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Frankychan
Whoops, got the two mixed up.

Then who is this 'Franklin'?
Reed's kid.

Which means the Fantastic Four are indeed in the X-men movieverse.
Old May 4, 2003, 00:36   #40
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who say the God loves, Man kills connection.
Anyone who has read Wizard's coverage of the movie and saw the name Stryker would notice the connection.
Old May 4, 2003, 00:39   #41
Lonestar
inmate
King

Quote:
Anyone who has read Wizard's coverage of the movie and saw the name Stryker would notice the connection.
Read whozeewha?

(okay, okay, I did)

I liked Magneto in this movie. Of course, he helped the X-men, but at the end it showed he was essentially the same as Stryker.

And the President is a frickin' Mutant! Whiskey-tango-foxtrot?
Old May 4, 2003, 00:40   #42
Frankychan
King

Dammit! and I have the graphic novel "Doom" where he's in it too. Ya know, the one where Doom gets trapped on Planet Doom and has to get back....

And little Franklin Richards pesters the good doctor through most of the comic book, directly and indirectly.

I don't know that much about Franklin except he's Invisible and Mr. Fantastics kid.
Old May 4, 2003, 03:59   #43
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 10:40
They left quite a few older X-Men characters out of the first movie - there was no White Queen, Boomerang, or Juggernaut.
Old May 4, 2003, 04:00   #44
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
And the President is a frickin' Mutant! Whiskey-tango-foxtrot?
The President isn't a mutant. You saw him writhing in agony when Professor X was attempting to kill all the humans.
Old May 4, 2003, 13:49   #45
Lonestar
inmate
King

Quote:
The President isn't a mutant. You saw him writhing in agony when Professor X was attempting to kill all the humans.
He wasn't writhering like his protective detail. He had the look of someone who just had the crap scared outta them.
Old May 4, 2003, 14:06   #46
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Q Cubed
i suspect that jason, the illusionist, is supposed to be mastermind...
IIRC, Jason is Mutant X, Moira's son. (Haven't read X-men in 17 years, so maybe he has a name now).

Stryker is a reworking of Rev. Stryker from the Graphic novel. X2, in large part, is the same major story as the X-men graphic novel, with Stryker using Professor X as a weapon to kill all mutants and latent mutants. Sen. Kelly begins hemoraging in the graphic novel.

Seeing this movie made me remember how much the X-men influenced me growing up. At a point when the religious right was growing ever more scary, trying to tell people what they couldn't do, what they had to do, who they were allowed or not allowed to be, the X-men resonated with me in a big way, especially as a picked-on kid.

Storm seems to have lost her accent and Colossus never had one. Oh well. I don't care so much that they take liberaties with the story, because they do it very well.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old May 4, 2003, 14:11   #47
chequita guevara
Emperor

I didn't get the Prez being a mutie. He looked like a man in dying in pain. Each person responds in their own way, you know.

As for Magneto's switching things on the Professor. I see it less as him being the same as Stryker as opposed to him creating a diversion so that he could have time to escape while the X-men dealt with stopping the Professor.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old May 4, 2003, 14:24   #48
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Of course, he helped the X-men, but at the end it showed he was essentially the same as Stryker.
They are essentially two sides of the same coin. Of course they are going to be presented similarly.
Old May 4, 2003, 14:40   #49
chequita guevara
Emperor

Magneto is an Israeli, you know.
Old May 4, 2003, 14:43   #50
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
He's also not exactly shy about genocide.
Old May 4, 2003, 15:01   #51
Q Classic
Emperor

he's an angry little boy. that's why.
Old May 4, 2003, 15:01   #52
dudemanjack
Warlord

Great movie! I love the scene when Stryker's forces attack the school. Wolverine was a freakin' badass.
Old May 4, 2003, 15:26   #53
Lonestar
inmate
King

Quote:
In UXM, he's a Terrorist, blowing up the Brooklyn bridge and whatnot.
Old May 4, 2003, 15:41   #54
chequita guevara
Emperor

I don't know how much they've changed the story, but back in the 80s, he and Xavior had fought together in the Israeli War of Indepenedence. Magento was flinging Egyptian tanks around. Magneto was still self-identifying as a Jew at that time, and since his powers came of age, he refused to let the Holocaust happen again.

The Brotherhood of Evil Mutants came later.
Old May 4, 2003, 15:43   #55
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
I don't know how much they've changed the story, but back in the 80s, he and Xavior had fought together in the Israeli War of Indepenedence.
I knew that they met each other in Israel but I didn't know about that.
Old May 4, 2003, 15:47   #56
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 01:40
Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
I can't wait to go see this movie. The X-men have been one of my favourite things since I was a kid (I grew up on the X-men cartoon, not the comics). Iceman's coming out as a mutant scene sounds like it's really going to hit home. I wish I had superpowers. So much cooler to tell your mum about them than just about being gay.

This also seems like a good place to ask this question. In a thread crawling with X-men fanatics, can someone tell me what/who Apocalypse is? I just watched a rerun of the cartoon and from what I've gathered he's been around for a long time and may or may not be a mutant. What's his deal?
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old May 4, 2003, 15:49   #57
chequita guevara
Emperor

Spoiler:
"Have you tried not being a mutant?"
Old May 4, 2003, 15:52   #58
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 01:40
Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old May 4, 2003, 15:55   #59
chequita guevara
Emperor

@ Starchild's sig.
Old May 4, 2003, 15:57   #60
chequita guevara
Emperor

Spoiler:
Mom: This is all my fault.
Pyro: Actually they discovered the defective gene is carried only in the Y chromosome. So really [points at iceman's father] it's his fault.