I'm not American and I prefer Clinton 34 40.48%
I'm American and I prefer Bush 18 21.43%
I'm not American and I prefer Bush 7 8.33%
I prefer bananas to both of them 8 9.52%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 3, 2003, 15:52   #61
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 21:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Sparky
I'd definitely prefer Clinton.

The entire world was a much safer place when WMD stood for "Wetspot on Monica's Dress".

Old May 3, 2003, 15:53   #62
gsmoove23
Warlord

Local Time: 00:41
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Clinton was all the time molesting us
Jeez, the man just couldn't help himself.
Old May 3, 2003, 16:10   #63
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 19:41
Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000
America needs a little more humanity, don't you agree?
I wouldn't be one to commit troops to a war/armed dispute for purely humanitarian reasons.
Old May 3, 2003, 17:54   #64
Lincoln
King

History will show Clinton to be one of the worst presidents and Bush to one of the best. This poll is simply more proof that Apolyton is way left of center. Bill Clinton led a stock market bubble that started to deflate before he left office. Bush is trying to clean up the mess he left behind. Blaming him for the economy is like blaming him for the terrorist atacks on 9/11. He didn't start the war on terrorism it was imposed on him. But we can thank God that Clinton is out of office now. The military loathed him and the feeling was mutual. He was a clown and a disgrace to the office. God help us if his screwey wife gets elected and he becomes the "first man".
Old May 3, 2003, 18:12   #65
Zkribbler
Deity

Local Time: 17:41
Quote:
Originally posted by Fez
The slowdown came months before [Bush] went into office.
And continues and continues and continues,

Quote:
Actually no. The deficit was much greater in the 40s, 50s, and 60s. Leftist lies.
Not even close. Carter was severely criticized by the Republicans for his record-setting 33 billion dollar deficit. In Reagan's first term, his deficit surpassed all the deficits of all other US Presidents combined; in Reagan's second term, he ran deficits even higher than in his first term. And the projection of Bush's deficit surpasses even that of Reagan's second term.
Old May 3, 2003, 18:59   #66
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by Lincoln
History will show Clinton to be one of the worst presidents and Bush to one of the best. This poll is simply more proof that Apolyton is way left of center. Bill Clinton led a stock market bubble that started to deflate before he left office. Bush is trying to clean up the mess he left behind. Blaming him for the economy is like blaming him for the terrorist atacks on 9/11. He didn't start the war on terrorism it was imposed on him. But we can thank God that Clinton is out of office now. The military loathed him and the feeling was mutual. He was a clown and a disgrace to the office. God help us if his screwey wife gets elected and he becomes the "first man".
The military may have loathed him, but the peoples of the world loved him.

Guess how it is now.......
Old May 3, 2003, 19:01   #67
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
I wouldn't be one to commit troops to a war/armed dispute for purely humanitarian reasons.
I know
Old May 3, 2003, 19:07   #68
Q Classic
Emperor

i love how people on the right always see everyone not right of them as way left of the center.
Old May 3, 2003, 19:19   #69
Plan Austral
Spanish Civers
King

Location: Poster Formerly known as Kublai-Khan. Buenos Aires - Argentina.
In Argentina the most extreme right political parties always claim to be THE center, that leaves all the rational people in the left.
Periodista : A proposito del escudo de la fe, Elisa, a mí me sorprendía Reutemann diciendo que estaba dispuesto a enfrentarse con el mismísimo demonio (Menem) y después terminó bajándose de la candidatura. Ahí parece que fuera ganando el demonio.

Elisa Carrio: No, porque si usted lee bien el Génesis dice que la mujer pisará la serpiente.
Old May 3, 2003, 19:21   #70
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Q Cubed
i love how people on the right always see everyone not right of them as way left of the center.
That's the only way they can make themselves feel normal, considering their nutty views.
Old May 3, 2003, 19:36   #71
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

Zkribbler, that's right...but remember that back then 33 billion was real money...
Old May 3, 2003, 20:37   #72
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 20:41
Interesting... foriegners are more pro-Clinton, and Americans are more pro-Bush .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old May 3, 2003, 20:38   #73
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Interesting... foriegners are more pro-Clinton, and Americans are more pro-Bush .
Actually, according to the poll, more Americans suport Clinton than Bush
Old May 3, 2003, 20:41   #74
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Ooops, I read it wrong.

Well, as we know the forum is more left leaning .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old May 3, 2003, 21:00   #75
Lincoln
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000

The military may have loathed him, but the peoples of the world loved him.

Guess how it is now.......
Yes, people love actors for some reason.
Old May 4, 2003, 01:50   #76
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 10:41
Clinton is widely regarded as a great President internationally. Mainly because he managed the global economy so well. Clinton was a superb diplomat and very smart, "its the economy stupid" killed Bush one.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old May 4, 2003, 02:13   #77
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Zkribbler
Clinton ended the war in Bosnia, prevented genocide in Kosova
Really?

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old May 4, 2003, 02:23   #78
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

As I am passing through this thread I think that it is interesting to note that Americans on Poly are virtually split on Clinton-Bush. Even more interesting is the overwhelming support Clinton has from the Non-American Poly population.

Worth considering.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old May 4, 2003, 03:12   #79
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Bush of course.

Strong president vs. weak president.

Bush is a strong president. He believed that taking out Iraq was the right thing to do. And wasn't afraid to stand up to the world to enforce his position. Sure he hurt diplomatic relations. But I feel France hurt the relations just as much as Bush did.

And despite what Clinton said a few days ago in Mexico, Bush did not weaken the U.N. The U.N. did that to itself.

He had the balls to take on every single terrorist in the world. No president dared take on this task. Even G.W.'s father was too weak a president to take on terrorism. Even Ronald Reagan did nothing after the hostages were freed from Iran. This reason alone makes me like bush jr. He didn't make some meaningless gesture to take on terrorists after 9/11. He actually did take on terrorists.

Clinton was weak. When things got tough in Somalia he chickened out. He had no real good plan there in the first place.

he gave in to North Korea. Basically N. Korea did a shakedown on the U.S. and succeeded. Extortion at its finest.

He sold secrets to china. while I don't mind selling secrets to china too much, as china does not pose any threat to the U.S. I'm certain we will never go to war with China. The problem is china turns around and sells this stuff to other nations.

Notice how I did not mention the sex scandal. that didn't bother me too much- except the lying under oath bit. But the other stuff was good entertainment
Old May 4, 2003, 03:31   #80
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

It is sad you posters all voted clinton.

While I do respect your opinions. International opinion seems like an important quality for a president does it not? I thought the same thing when I was younger. But as you get older, you realize what a president should be doing. Not pleasing other nations, but ensuring the their country continues to operate and does not get conquered.

But as an american, that is not a quality we care for. Call us selfish, call us what you will. What other countries don't realize, is there are many, many people in the world that want every single american dead. We are fighting for our lives here. We have to put the U.S. first on the list.

Therefore we need a president who does things good for the U.S. not the world. If the U.S. goes down, so does the rest of the world. So indirectly we are helping the rest of the world by ensuring the United States doesn't get annhilated by terrorists. Don't laugh it could happen. Before 9/11 no one thought that could happen either.
Old May 4, 2003, 04:03   #81
Proteus_MST
King

Local Time: 02:41
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
It is sad you posters all voted clinton.

While I do respect your opinions. International opinion seems like an important quality for a president does it not? I thought the same thing when I was younger. But as you get older, you realize what a president should be doing. Not pleasing other nations, but ensuring the their country continues to operate and does not get conquered.
I don´t see, that under Clinton the USA was in danger of being conquered.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident

But as an american, that is not a quality we care for. Call us selfish, call us what you will. What other countries don't realize, is there are many, many people in the world that want every single american dead. We are fighting for our lives here. We have to put the U.S. first on the list.

Therefore we need a president who does things good for the U.S. not the world. If the U.S. goes down, so does the rest of the world. So indirectly we are helping the rest of the world by ensuring the United States doesn't get annhilated by terrorists. Don't laugh it could happen. Before 9/11 no one thought that could happen either.
But I think you fail to see, that it is also (and maybe more) the other way round. If the rest of the world goes down, so does the USA.

As for Terrorists on the other hand:
You have lost one Building Complex with a Death Toll of maybe 3300 People.
As a result you invaded Afghanistan and after estimates you caused a "collateral damage" (i.e. innocent civilians) of 3700
(see for example here: http://csf.colorado.edu/forums/isafp/2001/msg00235.html )

Compared to the Population size of 25 Million in Afghanistan you therefore killed a much larger percentage of the Civilian Population in Afghanistan than the Terrorists did in your own country.

So I would see it a bit overrated to equal the Terrorist Attack on the WTC with the impending downfall of the USA.

Also of course you would never have known what Clinton would have done as a response to 9/11/2001.
Maybe he also would have invaded Afghanistan but would have managed to maintain international support for America afterwards.
And maybe he would also have managed to establish a stable government in Afghanistan, which is one thing where Bush despite his promises has failed.
Hamid Karzai, the elected President, is a president whose power is confined to the city limits to Kabul.
Sadly the US-Forces within Afghanistan seem to just concentrate on searching for terrorists and not on supporting Karzai

Just my Opinion on the matter.
Old May 4, 2003, 04:05   #82
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

How many times does that discredited New Hampshire study have to pop up here?
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old May 4, 2003, 04:28   #83
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Well I agree we cannot know what Clinton would have done. He probably would have invaded Afghanistan I suppose. It's hard to say. Everyone seems to think Clinton was a genious at foreign relations. Hell, Carter was a better diplomat that Clinton.

There is more to being a president, than being good at speeches and smoozing other leaders. And I do agree Clinton was great at this.
Old May 4, 2003, 04:35   #84
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Though I'm no fan of Dubya, I have to agree with the fact that Clinton was pretty wishy-washy, and everything he did was either to be looked at favorably by the rest of the world or get re-elected.
Old May 4, 2003, 07:59   #85
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancer
Drogue, why do you not prefer dictators to be scared?
Depends on the dictator. Some dictators do silly things when scared. And my point was about the people. The people shouldn't be scared of terrorists, but they shouldn't be scared of the US either.

Quote:
History will show Clinton to be one of the worst presidents and Bush to one of the best.
It's amazing how you can tell the future. History could judge either way, and our own political opinions won't tell us which way it will be.

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
everything he did was either to be looked at favorably by the rest of the world or get re-elected.
What do you expect any politician to do? America is a democracy, and thus politicians will try to do what the people want, and thus get re-elected.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old May 4, 2003, 08:44   #86
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 02:41
Quote:
Originally posted by PLATO1003
As I am passing through this thread I think that it is interesting to note that Americans on Poly are virtually split on Clinton-Bush. Even more interesting is the overwhelming support Clinton has from the Non-American Poly population.

Worth considering.
Please don't tell this comes as a shock to you!?!?
Old May 4, 2003, 08:52   #87
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

I chose clinton simply because he gave me hope in the nation. once bush can do that ill support him.
Old May 4, 2003, 09:07   #88
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
**** you
Great debating skills you have there. Any other words of wisdom you'd like to share with us?