Old May 7, 2003, 03:42   #271
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 18:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
If you really research whether the GUI in a prospective OS is XML-based or not, then I can only feel a profound sense of pity for you.
No need to pity me -- I've got a computer that's cheaper, faster, more functional, and has far larger software selections than the Mac will ever have.

Not to mention that I find it much prettier than Aqua, because I can use my own themes and do whatever the hell I want with them because I did research into the XML.

Quote:
I'd rather just go with what appeals to me on a more basic level than what extensive benchmarking and comp-sci prattle can give me.
Do you also buy cars based on how sexy they are alone?

I guess I shouldn't laugh -- if people did research into their cars before they bought them, Ford, GM, and Chrysler would've been out of business long ago.
Old May 7, 2003, 03:44   #272
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 20:44
Quote:
Do you also buy cars based on how sexy they are alone?
Of course. What else do you buy cars based on? Their gas mileage?
Old May 7, 2003, 03:49   #273
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Of course. What else do you buy cars based on? Their gas mileage?
Are you kidding me?
1) Reliability
2) Maintenance cost
3) Resale value
Old May 7, 2003, 03:52   #274
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
What else do you buy cars based on? Their gas mileage?
UM YEAH! Especially because I don't have the cash to spend a ton on gasoline right now . It could be important you know .

I'd also like to buy a car on performance. A car with good looks alone is ****.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; May 7, 2003 at 04:02.
Old May 7, 2003, 04:26   #275
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Fourteen pages and counting on this "Mac vs. PC Debate Thread No. 666"?!?!

My motto? Use whatever freakin' system floats your boat and screw what anyone else has to say about it.

There. That's the gist of the whole "argument." Why did it take 14 pages to get to this point?

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old May 7, 2003, 04:33   #276
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Because Drake, panag, and Asher want converts .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old May 7, 2003, 04:57   #277
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

"I'm here to help."
Old May 7, 2003, 04:58   #278
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 02:44
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Because Drake, panag, and Asher want converts .
hi ,

thats not true (!)

have a nice day
Old May 7, 2003, 04:59   #279
Panag
Emperor

iTunes Music Store Sells Over One Million Songs in First Week
CUPERTINO, California—May 5, 2003—Apple® today announced that its revolutionary iTunes® Music Store sold over one million songs during its first week. Over half of the songs were purchased as albums, dispelling concerns that selling music on a per-track basis will destroy album sales. In addition, over half of the 200,000 songs offered on the iTunes Music Store were purchased at least once, demonstrating the breadth of musical tastes served by Apple's groundbreaking online store. Apple also reported that over one million copies of iTunes 4 have been downloaded, and that it has received orders for over 110,000 new third-generation iPods since their introduction a week ago, with music lovers snapping up more than 20,000 of them from stores in the U.S. this weekend.

“In less than one week we’ve broken every record and become the largest online music company in the world,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “Apple has created the first complete solution for the digital music age—you can purchase your favorite music online at the iTunes Music Store, mix your favorite tracks into playlists with iTunes, and take your entire music collection with you everywhere with the super-slim new iPods.”

“Hitting one million songs in less than a week was totally unexpected,” said Roger Ames, Warner Music Group’s chairman and CEO. “Apple has shown music fans, artists and the music industry as a whole that there really is a successful and easy way of legally distributing music over the Internet.”

“Our internal measure of success was having the iTunes Music Store sell one million songs in the first month. To do this in one week is an over-the-top success,” said Doug Morris, Universal Music Group’s CEO. “Apple definitely got it right with the iTunes Music Store.”

Apple also announced that tomorrow, May 6, the iTunes Music Store will be adding over 3,200 new tracks, including major new album releases such as Jack Johnson’s “On and On,” Andrea Bocelli’s “Tosca” and Fleetwood Mac’s “Say You Will,” as well as pre-release tracks from upcoming albums by artists David Sanborn, The RH Factor, John Scofield, Jesse Harris and Lizz Wright. Also to be added tomorrow are additional albums from the Eagles, Michelle Branch’s album “The Spirit Room,” and new Featured Artist pages for Coldplay, including an exclusive track and music video, and Alanis Morissette, with her catalog of music.

The iTunes Music Store features over 200,000 songs from major music companies including BMG, EMI, Sony Music Entertainment, Universal, and Warner and lets customers quickly find, purchase and download the music they want for just 99 cents per song. The iTunes Music Store offers groundbreaking personal use rights that allow users to burn songs onto an unlimited number of CDs for personal use, listen to songs on an unlimited number of iPods, play songs on up to three Macintosh® computers, and use songs in other applications on the Mac®, including iPhoto™, iMovie™ and iDVD™.

Music lovers can easily find the hits they love and discover gems they’ve never heard before by listening to free 30-second high-quality previews of any song in the store, then purchase and download their favorite songs or complete albums in pristine digital quality with just one click. Users can explore music in an entirely new way by easily searching the entire music store to instantly locate any song by title, artist or album, or browse the entire collection of songs by genre, artist and album. The iTunes Music Store is fully integrated into iTunes 4, the fourth major release of Apple’s popular digital music jukebox software, allowing users to purchase, download, organize and listen to their music using just one application.

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Apple is committed to bringing the best personal computing experience to students, educators, creative professionals and consumers around the world through its innovative hardware, software and Internet offerings.

Press Contacts:
Natalie Sequeira
Apple
(408) 974-6877
nat@apple.com

Lara Vacante
Apple
(408) 974-7142
larav@apple.com

NOTE TO EDITORS: For additional information visit Apple's PR website (www.apple.com/pr/), or call Apple's Media Helpline at (408) 974-2042.

Apple, the Apple logo, Mac, Mac OS, Macintosh, iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD and iPod are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Apple. Other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners.

hi ,

not bad for a bad system , .....

have a nice day
Old May 7, 2003, 05:00   #280
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

$1M revenue remains unimpressive.

MP3.com makes way more money, and has been doing it for many more years.
Old May 7, 2003, 05:07   #281
Ari Rahikkala
King

Local Time: 03:44
I just became a switcher.

I use KDE now .
This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand
Old May 7, 2003, 05:09   #282
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
$1M revenue remains unimpressive.

MP3.com makes way more money, and has been doing it for many more years.
hi ,

good , then you make a million bucks in a week with your company , .....

and , huh , been seeing cnn lately , ....

you really should read the hot news section at www.apple.com ones in a while , .....

an other poly poster / mac user who sits next to panag has great fun with this

have a nice day

pssst ;

we are still the only ones with a 17 inch portable and bluetooth (!)

Old May 7, 2003, 05:12   #283
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by panag
hi ,

good , then you make a million bucks in a week with your company , .....

and , huh , been seeing cnn lately , ....
I'm confused too -- yeah, there's been lots of publicity for iTunes' music store. That's why it sold 1M copies so fast. It's a novelty, people are trying it out from the publicity.

Only a moron would expect it to last.

Quote:
we are still the only ones with a 17 inch portable and bluetooth (!)
MS was the first company to market with a Bluetooth product (keyboard), so I'm confused what you're takling about?

And who the hell buys a 17" "portable" laptop??
The reason no one else has one is because the market is painfully small.

Once Mac laptops get UXGA+ let me know. I don't care if it's 17", I care about its max res, brightness, and angle-viewing...Apple has work to do to catch up with PC displays in that regard.

Also let me know once the PowerBook lasts 8 hours on a single charge.
Old May 7, 2003, 05:20   #284
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

I'm confused too -- yeah, there's been lots of publicity for iTunes' music store. That's why it sold 1M copies so fast. It's a novelty, people are trying it out from the publicity.

Only a moron would expect it to last.

MS was the first company to market with a Bluetooth product (keyboard), so I'm confused what you're takling about?

And who the hell buys a 17" "portable" laptop??
The reason no one else has one is because the market is painfully small.

Once Mac laptops get UXGA+ let me know. I don't care if it's 17", I care about its max res, brightness, and angle-viewing...Apple has work to do to catch up with PC displays in that regard.

Also let me know once the PowerBook lasts 8 hours on a single charge.
hi ,

check your dates , .....

a long time ago , ericsson came out with bluetooth , .... mac put a module in its cube for special customers , ....

oh yeah , the stories come after a million sales , ......

sjee , well then we are all morons , ..... well at least we are happy with what we have , ....

and the mac posters here know that the itunes story came before today , .....

have a nice day
Old May 7, 2003, 05:26   #285
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by panag
hi ,

check your dates , .....

a long time ago , ericsson came out with bluetooth , .... mac put a module in its cube for special customers , ....
Actually GN Netcom beat Ericsson to the market with bluetooth.

But the first computer-related bluetooth product was MS' Keyboard & Mouse back in April 2002.

Quote:
oh yeah , the stories come after a million sales , ......
They came when the store launched, then after a million sales. You know, you're not bright enough to trick me.

Quote:
sjee , well then we are all morons , ..... well at least we are happy with what we have , ....
Apparently not -- you've dropped to the level of copy/pasting press releases from Apple, Apple's marketing PR bullshit copy/pasted, and linking to unrelated Apple benchmarks, and denying that the G4 is woefully obsolete compared to the PC.

To me, it seems like you're doing the rather typical thing of trying to reinforce your idea that you didn't screw up buying your computer. Maybe you've even convinced yourself to the point where it's subconscious.

Use it if you like it, but don't go lying and copy/pasting marketing bullshit when engaged in a debate with someone about it.

Quote:
and the mac posters here know that the itunes story came before today , .....
What does this mean? I don't understand.

I know the iTunes story "came before today" too -- didn't Drake make a thread well before it hit 1M sales?

Panag, you are seriously giving Wiglaf a good run for his money. What's with Mac users that attracts such...interesting people, if not a little dim witted? Interesting anyway.

It's 3:30am, bedtime for me.

I look forward to more PR material from Panang.
Old May 7, 2003, 05:30   #286
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

Actually GN Netcom beat Ericsson to the market with bluetooth.

But the first computer-related bluetooth product was MS' Keyboard & Mouse back in April 2002.

They came when the store launched, then after a million sales. You know, you're not bright enough to trick me.

Apparently not -- you've dropped to the level of copy/pasting press releases from Apple, Apple's marketing PR bullshit copy/pasted, and linking to unrelated Apple benchmarks, and denying that the G4 is woefully obsolete compared to the PC.

To me, it seems like you're doing the rather typical thing of trying to reinforce your idea that you didn't screw up buying your computer. Maybe you've even convinced yourself to the point where it's subconscious.

Use it if you like it, but don't go lying and copy/pasting marketing bullshit when engaged in a debate with someone about it.

What does this mean? I don't understand.

I know the iTunes story "came before today" too -- didn't Drake make a thread well before it hit 1M sales?

Panag, you are seriously giving Wiglaf a good run for his money. What's with Mac users that attracts such...interesting people, if not a little dim witted? Interesting anyway.

It's 3:30am, bedtime for me.

I look forward to more PR material from Panang.
hi ,

But the first computer-related bluetooth product was MS' Keyboard & Mouse back in April 2002

and thats the problem , .... check your dates , .... you shall see that we came out with it a bit before , .....

who is panang

good night
Old May 7, 2003, 05:34   #287
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

I did check the dates.

By the way, let's backtrack through your history:
First you claimed no PCs had bluetooth ("we are still the only ones with ... bluetooth").
Now you're claiming that the Macs had it first, without any link of course.
"Microsoft Reveals World's First Commercially Available Bluetooth Desktop Solution" -> http://www.wirelessdevnet.com/news/2002/108/news9.html
Old May 7, 2003, 05:44   #288
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
I did check the dates.

By the way, let's backtrack through your history:
First you claimed no PCs had bluetooth ("we are still the only ones with ... bluetooth").
Now you're claiming that the Macs had it first, without any link of course.
"Microsoft Reveals World's First Commercially Available Bluetooth Desktop Solution" -> http://www.wirelessdevnet.com/news/2002/108/news9.html

hi ,

try the open source office responsable for giving out the info , ...

been talking with my mac and pc for what , three year now this summer , ....

an other thing , mac had a small batch made of usb plugin bluettoth com units , .... got one with the powerbook a couple years ago , ....

and should thou not be asleep , ....

have a nice night
Old May 7, 2003, 05:53   #289
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Because Drake, panag, and Asher want converts.
I don't really want to convert anyone; I just like giving Asher ****.
Old May 7, 2003, 05:58   #290
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Quote:
Because Drake, panag, and Asher want converts.
I don't really want to convert anyone; I just like giving Asher ****.
hi ,

, we should invite him for a demo ones , .....

asher , where do you live

have a nice day
Old May 7, 2003, 06:33   #291
Ari Rahikkala
King

Local Time: 03:44
Quote:
What separates a Mac from a PC?
Not the patience of their advocates. I can tell that much.
This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand
Old May 7, 2003, 06:43   #292
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

A few hundred dollars... yuck yuck yuck!!!
Albert Speer
Old May 7, 2003, 10:25   #293
CICSMaster

Mac's have Style, Panache, Design.
Mac's are like Lamborghini's, if you have to ask the price they are not for you.
Mac owners expect their Mac to work immediately, the first time, out of the box, without all that fiddling about with weird color coded cables.
Mac owners buy Bang and Olufsen, not Sony.
Mac's are for the elite and thankfully this discussion shows that will always be the case.

Mac's are an Emotional decision NOT a rational decision.

Old May 7, 2003, 10:36   #294
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

Local Time: 17:44
CICS, it also appears macs are for the eilite apologists of an inferior product.
Old May 7, 2003, 11:40   #295
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by CICSMaster
Mac's have Style, Panache, Design.
Mac's are like Lamborghini's, if you have to ask the price they are not for you.
Mac owners expect their Mac to work immediately, the first time, out of the box, without all that fiddling about with weird color coded cables.
Mac owners buy Bang and Olufsen, not Sony.
Mac's are for the elite and thankfully this discussion shows that will always be the case.

Mac's are an Emotional decision NOT a rational decision.
hi ,

well we buy sony when b & g are not available , ....

yes our comps are supposed to work strait out of a box , .... right of the shelf

elite , .... nope , ....

have a nice day
Old May 7, 2003, 13:10   #296
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

I've never heard of B&G and I'm a hardcore machead... And considering my aunt works for sony....
Albert Speer
Old May 7, 2003, 13:30   #297
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by monolith94
I've never heard of B&G and I'm a hardcore machead... And considering my aunt works for sony....
hi ,

sjee , ..

wel "machead" , could you maybe as a fellow machead explain to the non macheads as to why we love our system and as to why we shall not change , ....

psssst ; welcome to the club

we have a mac civ III group , see the icon on the left

have a nice new Emac day
Old May 7, 2003, 14:29   #298
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

panag, we understand why you love your system, we just dont care. do you realize why we love our system of doing things?
Old May 7, 2003, 14:46   #299
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MRT144
panag, we understand why you love your system, we just dont care. do you realize why we love our system of doing things?

hi ,

off course , ....

but the same should apply then for us also , ...

have a nice day
Old May 7, 2003, 14:48   #300
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

it does. you dont care about the benefits of using a PC and we dont care about the benefits of using a Mac. The system works!